5 Cute and Easy Protective Styles for the Winter

Avatar • Dec 10, 2013

mahoganycurls

By Chinwe of Hair and Health

For some naturals, winter (if not fall) is the season to begin protective styling.  Well here are five quick and cute looks to get you started.

1. Milkmaid Twists

For this look, Jess starts with two side ponytails on stretched hair.  Then she twists each ponytail and pins them around her crown.  That’s it!

2. Double Twisted Bun

This style is an old favorite of mine from Ambrosia.  The look is achieved by creating side flat twists into a bun.  Check it the tutorial for more details.

3. Side Updo with a Faux Bang

In this video, Nik begins by rolling and pinning up the back.  Then she does a few twists in the front to create a swoop bang. All you need are bobby pins for this simple look.

4. Diagonal Flat Twists

LoveMaiCurls

LoveMaiCurls starts with stretched hair to achieve this style.  She then does diagonal parting followed by two big flat twists that are eventually pinned in the back.  Do check out her tutorial!

5. Vintage Pin Up on Medium Twists

For those of you who will be wearing twists (or braids), Helecia demonstrates a really cute updo in the above video.  Your twists do not have to be small or long at all.  She works with medium-sized short twists.

Ladies, will you be trying any of these protective styles this winter?

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

ja
ja

LOVE Helecia’s pin ups with twists!!! The fact that her hair is not super long makes the final product even more amazing and beautiful to me!!

Linda De La Cruz

The Milkmaid Twists are lovely, hopefully i’ll be able to try this style out sometime this winter 🙂

<3 ~Linda

lahblooplah
lahblooplah

My hair has a lot of growing to do before I can rock any of these styles. My hair is about 7 inches long and awkward.

Em
Em
Reply to  lahblooplah

Lahblooplah, I think you would be able to pull off Helecia’s style with the length you have. You should give it a try:-)

lahblooplah
lahblooplah
Reply to  Em

Omygosh! I can! thanks for the recommendation, I wish my twists looked that good tho lol. So excited! haha

FinVoilaQuoi
FinVoilaQuoi

Yea, most of these would look ridiculous on my low density hair. More like the skim milkmaid.

Genie
Genie
Reply to  FinVoilaQuoi

That made me laugh out loud. 🙂 Skim milkmaid. xD

Megan
Megan

More tutorials done on EXTREMELY long hair again ‑_____-

ja
ja
Reply to  Megan

watch the last video — hers is not extremely long!!

Lulu
Lulu
Reply to  Megan

Try these styles with marley braiding hair. I tried the the milkmaid twists and the diagonal flat twist. Sorry I don’t have pictures :/

Vanessa
Vanessa
Reply to  Megan

Yeah, I get how you feel. If my hair was already that long, it means that I’ve survived enough winters as a natural to know what to do with my hair in winter. I’m not saying that they shouldn’t share their nice hairstyles, but Imho all this does for me is create hair envy for most of the populace yet to get there.
Methinks any winter styles for short and the awkward stages of hair would be more appreciated.

Muhammad
Reply to  Vanessa

Your posting really stegiahtrned me out. Thanks!

Iva
Iva

I love the milkmaid twists. I just don’t have enough length for them yet! The diagonal flat twists are usually my go to style.

abonnement dofus

qui plus est , les bactéries lactiques pourraient se décomposer protéines de lait et d’aider le calcium absorption . Alors que les garçons sont au contraire , face à des filles de plus en plus forte et de plus en plus masculine , mais permettent les garçons vivant dans la paix et l’environnement riche de plus en plus féminin, et de voir la scène de sa mère chaque père de l’intimidation de la journée et se sont habitués à être dans un modèle maternel de la nation , souvent ne contestera pas avec la fille . frottement régulier abdomen peut aider le corps… Read more »

Dananana
Dananana

I don’t really understand French, but I know enough about romance languages in general to know this is a troll. BLGH, what’s up with the bots?

Elle
Elle
Reply to  Dananana

Word! Lol!

Lynn
Lynn

Cute hair ideas for the long & long mid length hair dolls! But can the short/mid length hair cuties get some protective style ideas too BGLH ?