OhGinelle // 3C Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Nov 2, 2013

20130925_011208

Introduce yourself!
G:
I go by the name OhGinelle. I was born in New York, raised in south Florida, all by way of a beautiful little island called St. Vincent and The Grenadines.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
G:
I started transitioning in late 2009 and then chopped in January 2011. I was starting to get bored with my look as an artist. I felt like I looked like every other brown girl out there. I just wanted to be different. Not to mention I had starting working out and all the sweat had my hair breaking like nobody’s business. I threw in some curly weave and never went back to the salon. Going natural was the best decision I have ever made!

How would you describe your texture?
G:
I never really went with the categories, but I would say that I am predominantly 3c with touches of 4a in the nape of my neck. My hair has a mind of its own, and she chooses to be absolutely FIERCE when I have nowhere to go! I have a ton of thick hair! My strands are not fine or coarse, but right in the middle.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
G:
My hair regimen is constantly changing depending on the weather and how many times a week I work out. But one thing that is constant is deep conditioning! I deep condition religiously every week. I am a wash and go, bun type of chick. I also try to keep my ends maintained by dusting them every six to eight weeks. I feel like trimming my hair keeps it in tip top shape. I achieve my wash and go’s with an eco/custard mixture using the pink Eco Styler Gel, coconut oil, argan oil, and shea butter. You can check out my Eco Styler recipe at www.youtube.com/ohginelle.

Screenshot_2013-09-27-14-56-40

What does wash day look like for you?
G:
I co wash my hair two to three times a week depending on my gym schedule. I’m not big on shampoo, but when the buildup gets to be too much (about once a month) I use J.R. Liggetts Bar Shampoo in Virgin Coconut & Argan Oil. This is one of the few shampoos that does not leave my hair feeling extremely dry. About every two weeks I do an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse to clarify my hair. For co washes and detangling, I use Aussie Moist Conditioner which I absolutely LOVE. I have tried so many conditioners and I find this one to be the best. I am currently on a search for the perfect deep conditioner, but right now I’m using Aussie Moist Deeeeep Conditioner. I separate my hair into four sections and I gently detangle my hair with my Ouidad Double Detangle Comb. I know I should figure detangle, but there is not enough conditioner in the world for me to finger detangle all this hair!

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
G:
My favorite go to hairstyle is a top bun! I do them so often that I’ve mastered achieving a perfect bun in 30 seconds using one bobbi pin! I also did a video of that on my YouTube channel.

How do you combat shrinkage?
G:
Shrinkage is every natural curly girls biggest enemy! I usually stretch my hair by moist bunning. I spray with water and seal with oil daily. I use just enough water to re-moisturize. This redefines the hair that was smooshed flat and stretches out the center so my hair looks long and stretched.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
G:
The hair at my nape is 4a. It is very coarse, dry, tightly coiled, and prone to breakage. I have to make sure that the back is well moisturized every day!

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
G:
Deep conditioning and sealing! I find these things to be instrumental in achieving long, healthy hair.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
G:
Limit heat and absolutely no small tooth combs. I’ve had heat damage and I know there is no fixing it! I only straighten my hair twice a year to do a length check and I do roller sets.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
G:
Yes! You can check out my website www.OhGinelle.com and check out my music and hair videos on www.youtube.com/OhGinelle.

About Meosha

Kelcie
Kelcie

Very pretty!! Go girl!!

Dotty
Dotty

Bewdifulllll!

elsa
elsa

beautiful hair and woman.

Asana

Beautiful hair. A great deep conditioner will be the all natural Aloe conditioner by Nature’s Gate! Leaves hair feeling like butter!. Get my on vitacost.com for a low price.

whatshetaughther.blogspot.com

Saturn Bailey
Saturn Bailey

Great regimen and hair — looks more like 4a/b than 3c though

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  Saturn Bailey

*side eyes* No, it looks what she said it was in HER feature–predominantly 3C with touches of 4A. Have you ever seen her hair in real life? No? Why do you think it’s okay to type it?

Anywho, beautiful hair Ginelle!

Megan
Reply to  Dananana

I dislike typing myself, but Walker’s system ESPECIALLY invites people to type just based on appearances. Not saying it’s great to second guess people’s self-assessment, but going public with that kind of thing means you’re ok with it being discussed at least to some extent.

OhGinelle
Reply to  Megan

I’m not big with hair typing nor do I fully understand it so I just went with what a stlyist once told me. There are so many different types and subcategories! Waste of time! Long as hair is healthy none of that should matter! THANK YOU GUYS for all the love ?!

gigi
gigi
Reply to  Saturn Bailey

yeah! see, I thought I was imagining things — I don’t think I’ll ever understand hair typing fully… that’s why I’ll never use it… but cool chick, cool name & gorgeous healthy hair! 🙂 love it

Kelly
Kelly
Reply to  Saturn Bailey

While I agree with Saturn Bailey, I find that hair typing system to be confusing and limiting. I think it’s better to just say my curls are small and tight, medium-sized, or big or very big. Or I don’t have a prominent curl pattern or I do. Or my hair is wooly or like felted wool. From what I understand Andre’s system to be and from how Ginelle’s hair appears in photos, it does appear to be 4a. And I could be wrong b/c that hair typing system is confusing. That said, I don’t care too much for Oprah’s stylist… Read more »

Dotty
Dotty

Come on people, it’s just a difference of opinion, no harm and no foul. I think her hair looks like a mix of what she said. It’s also highly textured and people are so used to seeing 3c as this less Afro textured, perfect s curly, shiny texture. Texture and type get confused so often but time and again we tell each other that you can be a silky, cottony, thready (insert type). It something people forget.

cacey
cacey
Reply to  Dotty

excellent point dotty! a lot of people seem to forget that when they hair type or analyze how others hair type themselves is that texture is a completely different aspect from curl size. all andre walker’s system is “good” for is pointing out different curl sizes on a relative scale. according to it, my curls are loose and would be seen as 3b/c, with my front sides being 3a, but my texture is very meshlike, in keeping with the texture you find on the heads of most women of west or south african descent. based on my texture, i can… Read more »

mlank64
mlank64
Reply to  cacey

Here’s a question, what is “thready” as far as texture goes. I understand cottony and silky but I came across thready when reviewing the LOIS hair typing system. Which in my opinion is good but a bit more complicated than the Andre Walker hair typing system which I suspect is the reason it isn’t referred to as often as the Andre Walker system. It is just a matter of curiosity. I don’t really hold too much stock in the hair typing. I find it interesting and like many naturals I was consumed with knowing my hair type in the begining… Read more »

aura
aura

beautiful hair…

LBoogie
LBoogie

I am Vincy too. Well my parents are from Georgetown, but I was born and raised in Brooklyn. Your hair is gorgeous!

OhGinelle
Reply to  LBoogie

#TeamVincy!

C_Perue
C_Perue

This post just made me sooo excited!! My hair texture looks exactly like hers so I’m glad to hear her regime as I’ve been transitioning since 2011 and have around shoulder-bra strap length hair now. Super excited to add deep conditioning and apple cider vinegar to my routine and see if I can continue to grow my hair out!! Great Post!!

steffao
steffao

Yay girlie! Look who’s #hairfamous now! Come back and visit soon xoxo

NINA
NINA

I am so excited to see another Vincy girl repping <3 Never thought I’d see the day:)But you are so beautiful and your hair is so healthy. Gorgeous 🙂

decoracao quarto

My buddy advisable I could similar to this web-site. He or she was previously entirely suitable. This set up actually made our evening. You should not consider simply how the whole lot time I needed used for this facts! Many thanks!