Kezia // 3C/4A Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Nov 12, 2013

shrinkage

Introduce yourself!
K:
My name is Kezia Etienne. Everyone calls me Kezzy. I’m an island girl, born and raised in Abaco, Bahamas. Currently living in Nassau, Bahamas.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
K:
I permed my hair in 2005 at the tender, naive age of 16 for my high school graduation pictures. The perm had my hair touching my hips and it was “blowing-in-the-wind” beautiful! Love at first perm! Over the years my hair began to break and shed until it was at my shoulder blades. One morning in May 2009, I woke up and told my best friend to cut it all off. She (being natural of course) happily obliged. She intentionally began at the front of my head so I could not change my mind mid-snip. After several exclamations of “OH MY GOD WHAT AM I DOING?!”, with bouts of hysterical laughter and/or sobbing, my hair was 4 inches long.

How would you describe your texture?
K:
I am somewhere between 3C and 4A. The texture is coily if uncombed and curly if it’s combed. My hair is thick and the strands are fine. It only behaves if it is wet. I have a very tender scalp and my hair cannot be manipulated or styled if it is dry.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
K:
My styling regimen is very simple. This is because my hair is long and thick and my head is big. It is very time consuming and I prefer to let it do its own thing. Because I am tender scalped, I don’t do many of the “protective styles” that other girls wear. I have literally had my entire head braided a total of 3 times in my life. It hurts. If I have absolutely nothing to do for a minimum of 4 hours, I will twist my hair. It takes forever, and I always say half way through the task that I’ll never do it again.

My all time favorite is a low twisted bun. Otherwise, I will do one or two French braids (which may turn into a braid out), ponytails, buns, and if I feel like living life on the edge, I wear it out (with or without bands) <– This is rare because the detangling process takes too long afterwards and sometimes things (and insects) land in my hair and I can’t tell :’( . The products I use for styling are Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Moisturizer, and Olive Oil Eco Styler Gel if I’m going for a sleek look.

highbun

What does wash day look like for you?
K:
Wash day for me is nearly every day. When I tell people this they are usually in utter disbelief. I began doing this after my big chop when I read Cathy Howse’s book: Ultra Black Hair Care 2 (good read). The two most memorable things I read in the book were the fact that most Caucasians wash their hair nearly every day and it grows, and that trimming hair has nothing to do with growth. Since then I have washed my hair nearly every day (unless it’s twisted or French braided) and since my big chop, I have only trimmed my hair once and straightened it twice (once professionally and one time done by me). My all time favorite shampoo and conditioner are in the Pantene Pro‑V Curly Hair line. Sometimes I leave the conditioner in all day until the next morning, or I rinse it out and apply Organics Olive Oil Deep Conditioner (love this product!) and leave it on for the day. Once a week I will detangle in the shower with a wide tooth comb.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
K:
My go to style is hair pulled back to the nape of the neck, twisted into a bun and tucked in or held with a hair tie. This style is quick and isn’t too fussy. It hides the length and thickness of my hair and I have seen looks of astonishment when I unravel my hair from this bun. This was my Mother’s signature style and I learned how to do it from her. I’m actually trying to stop doing this so often to reduce breakage, but it is so convenient.

How do you combat shrinkage?
K:
Unlike most natural women, I love shrinkage! I personally prefer for my hair to be “up and out” (like an afro) as opposed to hanging. Also, if my hair is twisted, it looks more full and thick once it has shrunken. And, it’s always fun to see looks of amazement when I show people how long my hair really is.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
K:
The only problem I have with my hair is the little tiny knots at the ends of my hair. I wish someone would research this problem and write a dissertation on this issue.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
K:
DO love your hair! It is not your enemy. It wants to be your friend. DO moisturize often and don’t ration out your moisturizer. Be generous!

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
K:
DON’T attempt to do too much with your hair when it’s dry. This will result in breakage. DON’T go product crazy. This will only result in product build up and weigh down the hair.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
K:
I’m not on any blog or webpage. I usually just read them.

About Meosha

Carolyn
Carolyn

Hello from Freeport G.B., Your hair is beautiful. Way to rep for island folks!;-)

Sheena
Sheena
Reply to  Carolyn

I’m from Freeport Too!

Rachel
Rachel

pretty hair!

nylse

Hello fellow bahamian; I grew up in Nassau.
You and your hair are just lovely. Love the minimalist approach.

felicia
felicia

Beautiful mane. Its so true that no two heads r the same I know I wouldn’t be able2 wash my hair everyday but nevertheless I think ur hair is really beautiful

deb
deb
Reply to  felicia

yeah the logic stated in that book for washing hair everyday is so flawed IMO…luckily it works for her.

Kezia
Kezia
Reply to  deb

Just wondering why you think this approach is wrong.

C
C
Reply to  Kezia

Your hair looks like mine! I can’t wait until mine reaches your length. I’m at that awkward shoulder length stage where the bottom of the curls just dangle in air. But I cowash my hair everyday too. If I don’t my scalp breaks out like crazy and it gets all oily. Nothing wrong with washing everyday.

boo
boo
Reply to  Kezia

The reason whites ‚latinos, europeans etc wash their hair often is because their hair has more access to the natural sebum or oil that their scalp produces. This happenes because they have a more loose hair texture. Black people and other Curlies hair doesnt get the same amount of sebum all over their hair becasue of the bends amd twists in their hair. Washing eveyday will get rid of your natural hair sebum which protects and nourishes your hair. Thats why curly hair gets so dry. Shampooing everyday makes this problem worse. That is why most of us co wash… Read more »

Kezia
Kezia
Reply to  boo

True. Well, after I wash I ALWAYS condition (regular or deep) and I never wash it out. So my hair is never dry. It would be different if I washed everyday and didn’t condition.
I know that’s the reason why they wash their hair almost daily. However, the oil content of their hair negates the fact that their hair grows. Plain and simple. It works for me so I’m satisfied 🙂

PrietaLinda85
PrietaLinda85

hey I was wondering if she could include a product list of what she uses. Her hair is so beautiful!

Kezia
Kezia
Reply to  PrietaLinda85

Product list: Pantene Pro V for Curls (fry to moisturized) shampoo and conditioner, Olive Oil moisturizer, deep conditioner and Eco Styler gel and recently Argan Oil Curl defining cream (this has yet to define any curls for me though…)

lauren
lauren

your texture looks identical to mine judging from the pictures! Interesting that you wash almost every day, can’t imagine!

imani
imani

Yes, those ssk’s are a biotch! Ill start the day with cute curls defined from root to tip…look in the mirror midday and findrandom little knots of hair at the ends! That wasn’t there this morning! Wth?Hate to admit it but I pull them off*I can hear my hair screaming as I do so but I can’t stand them once I see it!I need 2 start carrying scissors in my makeupcase & be a little kinder to my strands.

cacey
cacey

beautiful hair

Christina
Christina

Truly inspirational! 🙂 Most beautiful hair featured here! 🙂

Karee
Karee

Hair twin!!!!! Although I think my strands are medium and not fine.[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Picture.jpg[/img]

I wish my routine was as no fuss as yours but I get bored easily. SSK’s are the bane of my existence too so I keep my hair stretched 90% of the time.

Kezia
Kezia

Thanks for all the comments 🙂

Titus
Titus

Bam! Bam! A Bahamian Natural! Me too!

Asia

I have the same texture. I have trouble defining my curls, but I hardly wear my hair out so I guess it doesn’t matter. I do agree that 3c/4a hair shouldn’t be handled when dry. A few times I tried to do it and I could hear my strands pop, so I stopped. My ends knot up easily too, and I can’t keep twists in my hair too long because they start to tangle. Since using more shea butter in my hair, I’ve noticed a decrease in dryness. My hair’s been extra soft and manageable. I have hair pics here:… Read more »

Shan
Shan

Home girls!! Live in London, ON now! 242 to the world!!

elsa
elsa

lovely woman and beautiful hair 🙂

Ivy
Ivy

Truly a beautiful head of hair. I love that your regimen is so different from most people.. Every head of hair is different. And shoutout to the 242! I was born in Nassau and raised there til I was 5 before moving to NY. But I always rep for my city. #BahamianNaturals

Tricka
Tricka

Finally someone with the exact hair type. I normally wash my hait everyday also and my hair loved it!!! I got an ear infection though so I have eased up and only was twice to once a week and definitely cus it is winter.

Dakia
Dakia

Kezia your hair is beautiful and I see that you said you get bad knots at the ends of your hair. I’m very very sure that means that you need a small trim on your ends

Teorah242
Teorah242

Happy to see someone on this from my home town, Abaco, we on the map lol

Cinnamondiva
Cinnamondiva

Once again, I’m late to the party! My hair was like hers when I was young…trying to get back to that.
But yeah, so pretty! I only wash my hair about once or twice a week so I can’t imagine daily washing…that would be a lot of work. And it might possibly dry my hair out. But I’m glad it works for her because her hair looks very healthy.

Eurydice_Guise.

She’s my hair twin! <3
Our textures are very similar (I’m 3B/3C) and I also co-wash (or rinse) everyday, but only shampoo once a week. Last year I cut 23in of hair off ‑down to about 1in, simply because it’s so hot and humid where I live now, but my hair has grown tremendously and is already about 9in long. Lots of people look at me like I’m crazy when I tell them that I rinse or cowash my hair everyday, but I have to. I also thinks it keeps build up off of my scalp ^_^