Does Huetiful Hair Steamer’s Nano Smoothing Treatment Act as a Texturizer?

Avatar • Nov 23, 2013

by West Parsons of Confessions of a Blog Vixen

CharyJay

Unless you are a newbie to natural hair, you know of CharyJay. She is the brand ambassador for the much sought after Huetiful Hair Steamer and her face is on every box. Additionally her YouTube channel is, what I consider, one of the premiere channels for styling tutorials.

CharyJay is known for her super thick voluptuous mane, but it seems that mane has changed. In June 2012 she decided to get the Huetiful Smoothing Nano Treatment. The treatment, which is only performed by stylists, is advertised as having only temporary effects, lasting 8 to 12 weeks. Huetiful’s website touts this treatment as

…the most advanced and safest low pH mechanisms that is designed to silken, stretch and smooth wavy or curly, frizzy and processed hair. The result is stronger, healthier, beautifully manageable hair that can be worn straight or in its natural wavy or curly state.

The Huetiful nanoSMOOTHING™ System transforms the hair without the use of harsh, permanent chemicals and without permanent alteration to the hair’s bond structure so hair is silky smooth, perfectly curled and unimaginably frizz free. You get the ?exibility of natural hair to be worn straight with resistance to swelling from humidity or worn naturally curly with maximum curl de?nition and length.

The video below chronicles her experience with Nano Treatment on two separate occasions, with the second time resulting in a noticeable difference in her texture. As Huetiful’s website states, a texture change is an expected, but temporary result of the treatment. For CharyJay, six months have passed and her texture appears to remain altered.

I imagine CharyJay’s rationale for making this video is due to the tons of questions she has received about the apparent change in her hair texture. As a blogger, I give CharyJay mad props for answering to her subscribers, maintaining her integrity as a vlogger, and attributing a possible permanent change in her hair to a product by a brand she has a relationship with. As a consumer, I am appreciative of her transparency regarding her TOTAL experience with the product.

Use of this product can be interpreted a couple ways because of CharyJay’s video. Some naturals may see this process as counterproductive to the state of being natural if the hair’s texture is permanently altered. Other naturals may view this as a seemingly safer option to loosen their curl pattern.

What is your view of the Nano Smoothing Treatment?

A native of the British Virgin Islands, West currently lives in Atlanta, GA where she is a rehab therapist by day and twisting, braiding, curling maniac by night.  Confessions of a Blog Vixen is her platform to share perspectives on natural hair, fashion, and life.

About Editorial

BGLH now sells raw and whipped shea butter, cocoa butter and mango butter. Purchase here: bglh-marketplace.com

hmm
hmm

Yes. Just like all those keratin treatments… THE END.

Elle
Elle
Reply to  hmm

Agreed!

I’d never heard of this but appreciate the info and CharyJay’s candor. IMO, if it’s a ‘treatment’ you can only have done at a salon, it’s probably a texturizer.

Alisa
Alisa

It definitely looks like either the product or the use of a flat iron altered her hair texture. Before the treatment/product/flat iron her hair looked like it had body and bounce, now it just looks dead and lifeless…

blue
blue
Reply to  Alisa

dead and lifeless?? really? ok.…her curls are just elongated! you make it seem like she went out and got a relaxer and her hair started breaking off or something. Her hair looks the same aside from the elongation in the curls. and people, like me, have this curl pattern naturally so i guess my curls are lifeless too even though im natural. ‑__-

Oops
Oops
Reply to  blue

Damn, the poster above did not say all that. LOL Why are you putting words in her mouth? YOU are the one comparing hair that has been a‑l-t-e-r-e‑d to natural hair texture. Altered hair may very well look lifeless while hair that is naturally looser may not.

Blue
Blue
Reply to  Oops

Well, since you’re so smart and so informed please share with all of us how her hair looks lifeless now. Cuz I am positive that you follow her channel and have heard her complain about her hair looks lifeless. I would like to know where you see all these problems because I don’t. If you follow her channel, you know that she herself says her curl have been elongated. But please I would definitely like to hear where you’re coming from

Stace
Stace

I watched the video linked above in the article. It seems like the hair was still altered several months after the second application, but that it was slowly reverting to its original texture. So it does what the product says it would. I understand some people might be upset, but thats what it said it would do. I guess we will have to wait and see in another few months how her hair looks to see if it will truly revert. If it wears off is it truly that bad? Are we concerned over the health of her hair or the… Read more »

Stace
Stace
Reply to  Stace

I guess maybe people who are interested in this product shouldn’t use it more than once in a certain amount of time. She did it twice a month apart, plus she had the hair flat ironed. Perhaps not flat ironing the hair after the treatment would not have the same effect.

At the very least she was a guinea pig for our benefit, you have to respect that. Her experience allows us to explore and learn without the risk.

Hansy
Hansy

I think that there is nothing wrong with using these types of products to loosen your texture. I have like 3 different textures in my hair and some areas are very tightly curled, making it a problem when I want to achieve a uniform look in my hair. I wouldn’t mind using a product like these in those areas.

Tabatha
Tabatha
Reply to  Hansy

I do to and let me tell you, its a bit of a headache. I would use it too just to see if it could loosen the curl pattern.

Jesse
Jesse

I appreciate Charjay for letting her subscribers know the effects of the treatment. Her honesty is commendable, and that’s what makes a good youtube natural hair channel. With her videos, others can decide for themselves if that is what they want for their hair texture. For me, although I have very thick natural hair (lots of hair follicles, dense hair), each individual hair strand is very thin. I know even flat ironing my hair can cause a texture change if I’m not careful. But everyone’s hair needs are different, and that’s fine.

dowhatuwantwithyahair
dowhatuwantwithyahair
Reply to  Jesse

I had heat damage recently and had to cut off the straight strands so whether you intentionally want a texture change or noooot it happens over a period of time if u use heat.

Jesse
Jesse

Yea that’s a good point. I’ve only flat ironed my hair one time in the entire 4 years I’ve been natural. After that one experience, I noticed a slight elongation of my tight 4c curls in a few hairs that are very close to my ear/temple. (Is the natural hair police going to say that I am not natural anymore? Just kidding.…right?) It wasn’t a huge difference, but I could imagine (and my stylist told me) that flat ironing the hair consistently causes major changes throughout the hair. I also imagine if one kept getting a “smoothing treatment” it would… Read more »

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  Jesse

Nobody seems to want to talk about this, but heat does change the structure of your hair permanently. In fact, basic scientific theory holds that heat within a reaction is a chemical change, not a mechanical one. Whether this happens in one shot, like your one episode with the flat-iron, or over time like dowhatuwantwithyahair suggests, is dependent upon the characteristics of the individual’s hair and the level of heat usage, imo. I just did a low/no heat blow-out on my hair so that I could trim it and length-check, and I’m hoping to every deity under the sun that… Read more »

Angela W
Angela W
Reply to  Dananana

Dananana: I agree wholeheartedly, …and what about the ladies that Henna their hair. I know Henna is an “All Natural” product, but it still alters your hair texture a little for some & a lot for others. I’m speaking from experience, because I Henna’d my hair for about a year & the Henna took my 3c strands & turned them into 3b. I know that 3c texture is more prone to loosening of curls than the 4a-4c textures, but I’ve been on YouTube following these popular natural hair bloggers that use Henna also & even among the 4a-4c ladies I’ve… Read more »

Oops
Oops

That must be why they are looking for a new face for the brand. She does deserve kudos for her honesty because many would not have admitted the obvious.

Kerida
Kerida

I find coloring ur hair does the same thing

Stace
Stace
Reply to  Kerida

True (for some folks)…interesting that you bring that up…coloring unless its henna is using chemicals, but people don’t seem to be too caught up over naturals using color. Good point. I’ll play devils advocate and say how is this different from coloring in terms of naturalness?

ambi
ambi

so…over all I don’t care what you do if you call yourself Natural as long as no chemicals.…so to me PUTTING a PRODUCT on your hair to LOOSEN your KINKS CURLS for WEEKS is basically a texturizer So it’s not natural, learn to except your hair AS IS if something is Changing your hair WITH a PRODUCT how different is that really from the perm???

Goil
Goil
Reply to  ambi

Learn englsih

MissTiny
MissTiny
Reply to  Goil

@Goil, was that necessary?

Thick Nigerian Hair
Thick Nigerian Hair
Reply to  MissTiny

And then she spelled English wrong.

sandy
sandy

I seems that CharyJay has been replaced as the face of this brand. I believe Miss Vaughn and her sister are its new representatives. I sure hope this had nothing to do with her candor.

Misslainey
Misslainey

I don’t see what the big deal is. I am natural, and her ‘texturized’ hair looks like mine. We get too dogmatic about unimportant things. In the end, it’s just hair. And hair is dead. If people want to relax, texturize, braid, weave, color, do nothing, it is THEIR choice. I think her hair was great either way.

nollyA
nollyA
Reply to  Misslainey

EXACTLYYY

Oops
Oops
Reply to  Misslainey

Who said it wasn’t THEIR choice though? It’s “just” hair yet here you are on a blog dedicated solely to this “dead” material. Why so defensive?

Shelly_Shelle
Shelly_Shelle
Reply to  Misslainey

Hair is not dead. Hair is a living extension of our bodies. It’s like a cell with pores and all. It has personality, good days and bad. It needs nourishment and respect.

shantafabulous

We all can do whatever we want with our hair, judgment be damned. As far as I’m concerned this a chemical treatment that alters texture. If someone is serious about avoiding that type of thing then this isn’t for them. If they’re fine with the texture being altered then go for it. I will pass though.

juanicole617
juanicole617

OMG! Her texture really changed!!! Okay,this Huetiful treatment is going to be the next big thing. I say that because there are many people out there who would love the curl pattern she ended up with. A relaxer may be on its way out like the jheri curl but this is going to be it. It’s the in between. Just my opinion.

Fayla

I appreciate her transparency about using the treatment. For me, this treatment would not be an option bc it’s too much like a texturizer/keratin treatment. I can see lots of other Naturals going this route however, bc having a looser texture for some is almost an obsession.

MissTiny
MissTiny
Reply to  Fayla

true, especially type 4C…they want a looser curl;

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  MissTiny

Says who? I’m multitextured, and I wish that all of my hair was uniformly like my 4C kinks–they hold a braid out/twist out much better than my 4A, 4B, and 3C sections. They also show length much faster because of the lack of a pattern. This whole “4C being jealous of looser curls” business needs to stop. It’s divisive, and it’s a broad generalization.

MissTiny
MissTiny
Reply to  Dananana

yes, and plenty of 4C say they want looser curls, a more “define” curl…not saying you per se but a lot of 4C have said this, blogs, you-tube..on the street…not saying the majority but a bit…

Shaí Felder
Shaí Felder

No, I don’t think the treatment acts a texturizer. I had it done two weeks ago. My hair did seem smoother (not a texture change but repaired) while the treatment was applied but now and right after…but there’s not much difference now.

Candice
Candice

Yes, hair is hair and people can do whatever they want to it. No one ever questioned that. But if you’re “natural” it means that your hair is in it’s natural state. If you’ve altered it, chemical or otherwise, it’s not natural anymore. It doesn’t mean your hair is bad, it’s just not in its natural state and you probably should drop the natural mantle and let it apply to the people who actually are maintaining the natural texture of their hair.

Oh she really came that way? *nods* Awright.
Oh she really came that way? *nods* Awright.

Much props to CharJay for posting changes in her texture. But she seemed a little too happy about her looser, 3b-looking curls as if her complexion got 5 shades lighter. #SorryHadToGoThere To each their own, for sure. …and if anything this video DOES got to show that the Huetiful serum DOES work. However, knowing what I know about the history of the African diaspora, I can’t help but too look at the tightly-coiled naturals who want “looser curls” or Tracie Ellis Ross-curls as another veiled form of physical self hate. I think she is SO beautiful as is with her… Read more »

MissTiny
MissTiny

preach!

Joi
Joi

I’m not going put anything in my hair that will alter it’s curl pattern. I hope she can eventually get hair hair pattern back without cutting it hair and starting from scratch.

ProtectivePrincess
ProtectivePrincess

This definitely reminds me of the results I got with the Brazilian Keratin Treatments. Because of my experience, my opinion is that the products used are somewhat temporary, but the amount of heat used to activate the product causes permanent texture changes. In my case, it was damage. My hair was weaker, more fragile, and breakage prone. I had to cut it off to get back to my original texture. I have type 4c hair, I have done my share of experimenting and I’m yet to find a product, or non-permanent chemical process that alters my texture without damaging it.… Read more »

Jc
Jc

1. There is no such thing as a ‘chemical free’ product. All products contain chemicals some mild, some harsh.

2. There is no ingredient list for this product. I wrote to the company and requested one, I got no response.

3. IF you do not know what is in the product and the company will not tell you what is in the product, then in all honesty it is on your shoulders alone if something happens to your hair or worse to yourself.

Ruru
Ruru
Reply to  Jc

Is it even legal for them to not reveal the ingredients? That’s just so shady to me…

Elle
Elle
Reply to  Jc

I saw the lack of ingredients list as well :/ that fact should scream “NO!”. Especially to those that have had damage from BKTs or heat in the past

However this is not for retail sale, it’s a salon method and salons often claim that ‘treatments’ are a brew of known products/ingredients and specialized techniques (what-ever!) which are usually not held to disclosure standards in the US.

Tabatha
Tabatha

Wow that was a change when she got it done the second time around. Uhm I think she looks great either way. It was interesting seeing her wash her hair and seeing her curls and zig- zags come back differently. I applaud her for showing us what it did cause now we all know whether we could be open to it or not. For me I have extremely compact hair ranging from 4a all the way to 4c and there are certain styles that I would like to do that sometimes doesn’t look right or do what I need it… Read more »

Tee
Tee

So Huetiful lied about their treatment. I second Jc comments. I would like to add that if a company won’t release the ingredient ist RUN don’t walk away from it.

The problem is that CharyJay did a vlog/commercial for this product and she made the same claims that the company did. She has a responsibility to her audience to make sure that a product is what she promoted that it is. I feel bad for the people that went out and got the treatment after that first vlog she did.

Tee
Tee
Reply to  Tee

*list*

Tee
Tee

She recently posted a new vlog yesterday and her hair looks damaged and thinner than it used to be. When it is wet you can see little straight whispy pieces on the ends. It does look lifeless compared to how it was before. I don’t know if it is the constant styling combined with the frequent flat ironing, color, and the Nano smoothing treatment but compared to before her hair doesn’t look good.

CJ
CJ
Reply to  Tee

I noticed that too. I think it’s disappointing that she seems happy with the change in her texture despite the fact that she obviously has some kind of heat/colour/chemical damage. It saddens me that after 2+ years of promoting the mantra of loving your hair the way it is, she obviously didn’t truly embrace her natural texture.

Miss T
Miss T
Reply to  Tee

Is it just me, or is her hair much shorter than it use to be as well? I dont recall her saying she cut it.

Carla
Reply to  Miss T

She did recently cut her hair in a style (she flogged it) and mentioned that she’s not caught up on length.

Teetee
Teetee

Where is this video I am interested in seeing part 2 don’t see this video on her channel

AC
AC

I honestly don’t know if it was the treatment or the heat, because for me heat will permanently straighten my hair aka damage it. So who knows, her transparency is commendable though.

Tisha
Tisha

let me just get straight to it…YES it is like a texturizer! But unlike a texturizer that costs 5 dollars a box, this probably costs hundreds of dollars under the guise of offering a “healthy” treatment that promotes manageability. pfff…I believe it can be damaging to the hair. CharyJay’s has not been the same since she has tried the nano. But it’s her hair and she can do whatever SHE likes. As for me, this hair is stayin’ kinky and happy!! Al thought I am not against staight hair per se, I find it sad that there will always be these… Read more »

khrystal

tbh i dont think it is such a bad thing. i think it is a solution for those with tighter curl patterns. contrary to popular belief there are some naturals who have a very difficult time styling and managing their hair. even with all the pre poo , clay, co-wash, oiling etc they still have a hard time. i do comment chary and all you natural hair nazis need to stop. you make it so hard for anyone to embrace natural-ness

Kiandra
Kiandra

I feel like instead of uplifting each other we tear down one another at every chance we get. So what she wants looser curls, is this your head? Do you have to deal with it? Buy products for it or keep up its maintenance? These natural hair nazis are ridiculous! Being natural should mean leaving the relaxers and texturizers alone and embracing our natural kinks. Why does it have to mean no color, no straightening and all this other crap! y’all are NO FUN! I straighten and color my hair and will continue to do as I please with it.… Read more »

Oops
Oops
Reply to  Kiandra

Discussing, why even, disagreeing with someone is NOT “tearing each other down”, it is called DISCOURSE. I really, really, really wish us as a people would be able to distinguish between the two, I can disagree with you without being a “hater” and or without “tearing you down” SMFH.

Pati
Reply to  Oops

This article has given me some ease as to the prbelom I am having. I have naturally curly, wavy hair & I used to straighten it a lot with a flat iron because the curls would drive me nuts. I finally just embraced my curls & stopped using a flat iron. I haven’t straighten my hair in about 2 or 3 years. I wanted a way to define my curls & keep them together & get rid of some of my frizzy, kinky strands. Instead of buying & wasting money on a curling iron or wand, I thought I would… Read more »

Suzan, UK
Suzan, UK

The following article- http://www.brownstonebazaar.com/2012/12/huetiful-nanosmoothing-system.htmlstates that that “…the nanoSMOOTHING system is NOT a texturizer, relaxer or keratin treatment or I would not have volunteered to try it. There is no lye or formaldehyde in the products used in the system. The active ingredient is actually a protein called cysteine.”

Suzan, UK
Suzan, UK

The following article- http://www.brownstonebazaar.com/2012/12/huetiful-nanosmoothing-system.html states that “…the nanoSMOOTHING system is NOT a texturizer, relaxer or keratin treatment or I would not have volunteered to try it. There is no lye or formaldehyde in the products used in the system. The active ingredient is actually a protein called cysteine.”

michelle
michelle

the one thing I don’t understand is that even though we all know that black women come in all shapes, shades, sizes and textures; many naturals adopt the standard that a black woman has type 4 hair. yes, type 4 seems to be the majority but we shouldn’t be quick to bash when someone doesn’t (or have the desire to) fit this standard for our ethnicity. my main question is why is it that if someone wishes their type 4 hair could be type 3 it is ‘self hate’, yet if a type 3 wishes to be type 4 we… Read more »

Ethnicgirl
Ethnicgirl
Reply to  michelle

“why is it that if someone wishes their type 4 hair could be type 3 it is ‘self hate’, yet if a type 3 wishes to be type 4 we are flattered and don’t pass the same judgement?” Because these people are really not confident, nor as in love with their own natural hair as they proclaim. Everybody can be natural nazi’s ONLINE, but get into their heads and hang out with them IRL and you will find they have their own issues as well. I have been natural since 2001 and could care less what anyone else does to… Read more »

Napturally Kia
Napturally Kia
Reply to  michelle

in regards to the type 3 being a type 4…i’m a 3b/c mix and i wish i was a 4a/b. the hair holds styles so much better imo. it’s thick, lustrous, and full of body. not my thin, limp hair. i guess a lot of people think the grass is greener on the other side. am i to, indulging in self hate because i dont like my curls?

Alyssa
Alyssa

Hopefully others have already said this, it’s Her Hair. Put yourself in her shoes, there are some naturals who love the pattern their hair takes, others that wonder, “what if I had curls,” and others who hate their (non-)existent curl pattern. I believe CharyJay’s in the “what if” category. You can see the excitement she shows when she sees curls in her hair for the very first time. I’m neither for nor against this huetiful treatment, but for some natural-haired ladies who want a safer way to experiment with their hair, I don’t see the problem. To me, it’s the… Read more »

NaturalKesha
NaturalKesha

It’s ok not to jump on the bandwagon just because a well know natural is promoting a company. I did not buy Huetiful steamer & I definitely wouldn’t get my hair straightened by them. Think for yourself & make the best choices for you & your own hair.

Caleb

Thanks for the post. The right hair texture can always be difficult to achieve.

Amber
Amber

Charjay’s hair is jacked up! I liked it much much better before. Yes, it’s HER hair, but she has made it a public commodity and subjected it to my opinion.

trackback

[…] seems to be a highly contentious subject in the natural world (read this post). People talk about the treatment being a texturizer or a new form of relaxer. It is neither. I […]

Vanessa
Vanessa

I had the same result when treated with a competitor’s nano treatment system at Too Groovy in Atlanta. I went there because of the many positive reviews on you tube. I had spoken to the stylist on the phone and in person to confirm that the nano treatment would not permenantly alter my curl pattern. I was told that it would not. However, the results that CharJay experienced after as econd application, I am expereincing following a first application. It has been 6 months and my hair is style HORRIBLE! I have emailed the establishment twice with no response; not… Read more »