3 Things to Do When Your Locs Break

Avatar • Nov 26, 2013

by Sherrell of Organic Beauty Vixen

I was preparing for a full day of writing and meetings, ready to take on the world when it happened. One of my locs met its maker. Well, sort of. I was applying a little of my favorite Peppermint and Tea Tree Moisturizer by Eden Body Works when I swept my fingers through my hair and the end of my loc snapped. Begin total meltdown.

Immediately I posted the unfortunate event to Instagram to gather advice and suggestions from my team of beauty experts (Oh yeah, you can find me on Instagram at @organicvixen). They didn’t disappoint.

Here are three things I learned from Instagram on what to do when your locs break:

• Discover why your locs are breaking – mine were breaking primarily because of my new color. I’m not always adamant about keeping my hair conditioned and moisturized. Try Knotty Boy Conditioning Spray (as recommended by Folami Summerville). I personally like my Eden Body Works hair milk and my Shea Radiance hair repair lotion.
  • See your stylist to see if they can re-attach – Recycle your locs and keep your length! A professional stylist can re-attach your broken off locs and give you back your dignity.
  • Think about protective styles – Even locs need a break (no pun intended) every once in a while. And now that we are in the heart of winter you may want to think of pinning them up to give them a break from daily style manipulation.
    What do you do when your locs break?

Sherrell is an eco-glamour expert, speaker, social entrepreneur and author of Eco-Glamorous: A Fail-Proof Guide to Ditching Toxic Beauty Products, Protecting Your Health & Greening Your Beauty Routine and creator of the popular eco-beauty blog OrganicBeautyVixen.com.

About Editorial

BGLH now sells raw and whipped shea butter, cocoa butter and mango butter. Purchase here: bglh-marketplace.com

Zinoubia
    Zinoubia

Im not sure how reattaching broken off hair makes any sense… Im a natural and I dont have locs but is that normal for someone with locs?

Lovey1119
    Lovey1119
    Reply to  Zinoubia

When you have locks reattaching can be an answer, you reattach your own hair to the lock and it will lock into your hair eventually. Yes sometime breakage can happen just like with all hair no matter if it’s natural, relax, braided or locked. Breakage happens to all of us at sometimes in our life especially women if they are having any hormonal issues.

nisha
    nisha
    Reply to  Zinoubia

Zinoubia, it’s normal. I had my first set of locks for nearly 9 years and every now and then one would break off (the end). You just sew it back on and it will eventually loc up. It sounds weird, but completely natural for loc’ers.

ScandalousBeauty

OMG! None of mine have broken before, but I’m afraid to get color because I heard it can be damaging, even to strong locs. My old color is getting dusty, and I really need to change it before my wedding in March. What to do, what to do…

Lovey1119
    Lovey1119

Try a rinse, with a glaze it adds shine and will not damage your locks.

Erin
    Reply to  Lovey1119

Good idea!

Tamires
    Tamires

I would probably do it when it comes really close to the wedding so They wouldn’t be break in the wedding day lol

Kami
    Kami

Seriously, can we have more of these loc posts. Even though I am loosed haired natural, I just love locs!!!

miranda
    miranda
    Reply to  Kami

I agree! Let’s have more loc posts! I love this site but there’s not nearly as much advice for those with locs. I loved this post. So helpful!

aaliyah
    aaliyah

Over-twisting locs contributes hugely to why locs break off. Give your hair space! Allow those locs breathe and watch ’em grow. I’ve had color in my locs(for almost 8months) nd my crown nd edges are so healthy. Do not use too much chemicals and also avoid petrolatum, beewax,etc. Retwist with water and a few drops of virgin coconut oil-it works for me. #team loc’d 4 life#

Donna Jarrett

Having locs have been my claim to fame. I worked in the financial sector for years and have had wonderful responses from my European counterparts but from my African folks, they have not been that supportive. I believe it is a reflection of them as many of my sisters are wearing weaves, wigs and such. I am a producer and Author of the best selling book, “You’re Not My Mommy!” Warnings from an Ex-Stepmother and I am happy that after 8 years that I decided to keep my locs and stay true to myself.

PG
    PG

Reattaching what? I’ve had locs for over 15 years. The same set. I’ve never heard of such a thing.