Style: Oroma in the United Kingdom

Avatar • Oct 19, 2013

oroma9

Introduce yourself?
O: My name is Oroma Roxella Rukevwe. I’m a Nigerian.

What is your style philosophy?
O: “Don’t follow trends just because everyone’s doing the same, buy an item because you like it and can see yourself wearing it in different ways.”

How would you describe your sense of style?
O: That’s a tough question. I guess, I’ve got a laid-back/casual sense of style. Not too casual though, I love mixing colours, patterns and textures.

What is your process of deciding what to wear in the morning?
O: I literally just hop out of bed, shower and build an outfit around the first piece of clothing I get my hands on! I hardly ever plan my outfits beforehand.

What are the three favorite things in your closet?
O: My 1460 black Dr. Marten boots, a River Island leather and faux fur jacket and my high-waisted yellow vintage jeans(one of my best thrift store finds)

oroma11

What are some of your favorite shops/websites for clothes, shoes and accessories?
O: I always say I don’t have a favourite store but most of my clothes are from ASOS and River Island so haha yes, I guess they’re my faves. I also like Topshop, American Apparel and Urban Outfitters and I go thrifting from time to time.

How long have you been natural?
O: I’ve been natural for just a bit over 13 months now.

How and why did you transition into natural hair?
O: I kept my hair in senegalese twists for most of the time I was transitioning (a bit over 5 months). I decided to go natural because I never liked the way my hair looked after a relaxer. I’ve always had really thin hair and it just looked so scanty and dead after all the chemicals. It got to a point where I couldn’t stand my hair anymore. My last relaxer was in February (2012) and I big chopped on the6th of August (2012). I’ve still got thin hair now but it’s a lot better and healthier!

What is your signature hairstyle?
O: Twist outs, definitely. Then yarn braids next (I’m a self-braider).

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
O: I wash my hair 3 to 4 times a month. Two to three co-washes with VO5 Tea Tree Conditioner and one baking soda solution wash and apple cider vinegar rinse at the end of the month. Before wash day, I do a hot oil treatment. Apart from that I don’t do much else except moisturize my hair every 2 days with water, apply unrefined shea butter and put it in twists. I always make sure I go to bed with my hair in a protective style. I use NO heat on my hair. Air drying all the way.

When I’ve got braids in, I co-wash them every 2 weeks and redo the braids on the edges. I use a homemade spray to moisturise my hair when my braids are in.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
O: Yes there is! You can find me on my main blog (www.orrblog.net), tumblr (http://nevinovatie.tumblr.com) and on instagram: @roxellaaa.

About Rinny

Texan by birth, Los Angeleno by situation. Lover of Tame Impala and Shoegaze music. Comedian by trade. Macaroni and Cheese connoisseur by appetite.

EmJay
EmJay

Nice! I wish she wouldn’t hide her face in photos so much. She looks like a gorgeous girl!

Iva
Iva

What a beautiful girl!

Amma Mama

She is really cute. I love her fro and her style.

Ameilia
Ameilia

Love your hair the outfits are perfect for you!

Asana

Love it! Your hair/you/style is gorgeous!

whatshetaughther.blogspot.com

JNatural
JNatural

Love her healthy, full and kinky hair!

kerisha
kerisha

Ms Oroma haven’t you heard black is the new black ‚stop hiding your lovely face in your photos no more looking down ever,put on your best top model pose smize (ala miss tyra banks)and vogue honey vogue .

Suzan, UK
Suzan, UK

Thanks for sharing.….

Afro Cop
Afro Cop

Love your hair in the first pic. Can you or somebody explain how I can get my hair to create that effect. I have 4b hair so I know my hair can do it.If it has a name please advise so I can go google.

Twinmissy

I am in love with her style and her hair! Beautiful! Stunning!

Kimp
Kimp

Great style, great hair. It does not matter what texture of hair you have, you will learn what has been damaging your hair and what really promotes it. You will learn just why the black hair care industry is making a fortune keeping you in the dark about the real secrets to healthy long hair. http://2b71afwcw0jm9ybdxb-54xfleq.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=HOW TO GROW HAIR LONG

Love JAH
Love JAH

Too frickin cute!!!!

Mimi
Mimi

Why do people think she’s hiding her face out of some insecurity or whatever, i think such comments are because something is going on in our own lives as well.
For example a comment was posted on facebook that she doesn’t like her hair so she’s not looking at the camera because she’s embarassed. yet if it was a woman with a straight weave or naturally straight hair, people would just assume she was just posing…
Issues! we still have a lot of them!

Twinmissytwinsissa
Reply to  Mimi

I think it’s just for the photo’s sake to make it less like a selfie and more like a catalog. I didn’t even get the sense of ashamed of hair or being black like other people said.

On her Tumblr there are some pics where she is looking straight in the camera and her face and eyes are stunning. I’m a fan!

I do not think this girl is ashamed at all. It’s like she knows she has something over all these girls lol

Youngin girl
Youngin girl

Some girls are shy when taking pictures but these are poses. I love them all and her sense of style. Her pictures make me want to say Wowie wow wow wow!

alt-K
alt-K

She’s a beautiful girl with beautiful, big hair! However, I’m going to agree that I’m not crazy about the trend on IG or beauty blogs of looking down. I don’t think it’s about self-confidence or self-esteem at all. I think it’s about appearing to be more “modelish” and less “selfie” but I really enjoy looking at women’s beautiful faces. Not a judgement, just a comment.

toronto hair meet up. nov 16

i love the minimal lists of products she has. nice Nigerian hair, but are those your side boobies showing in the second pic? 🙁
from another Nigerian.
themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

Bobs

You have shed a ray of suishnne into the forum. Thanks!