My Daughter Rejected a Blonde Halloween Barbie Wig in Favor of Her Natural Hair

Avatar • Oct 31, 2013

Mom Crystal Russ Horace discovered this Halloween that her daughter’s love for her natural hair goes deep. Check it out;

1382079_10152063409235348_92167391_n

Yesterday I took my daughter to get her shots. I rewarded her for being a good girl by going to get her Halloween costume. She picked out a Barbie fairy costume that came with a blonde wig. I kind of panicked inside but I allowed her to make her own choice. I had her try it on (even the wig) when we got home. To my surprise she said, “No mommy not that hair, I want to wear my own hair. I’m a brown Barbie.” Needless to say, I jumped and did a couple backflips in my head lol! She’s four years old and already knows her brown and kinky big hair is beautiful:)

I put the wig on her this morning and she still wasn’t having any of it so I straightened and banded her hair so she can wear it out tonight. She says she’s a brown Barbie and she likes her own hair better:)

Awesome! Ladies what are your thoughts?

Home daycare

Very nice!

Jazine
Jazine

You have done a wonderful job with this gorgeous angel. At four years old, she has more self-esteem and self-confidence than grown women when it comes to our natural aesthetic. Happy Halloween!

Amma Mama
Reply to  Jazine

I agree, mom is doing a great job. I am glad she prefers her own hair over the wig. Some women {not all} don’t and as a result, I have seen some tragic wigs and lace fronts. I am not against either but some really look bad and hide some beautiful faces. This post reminds me of this You Tube video. Even her co-workers said she looked younger without the wigs..lol

Tabitha
Tabitha

Awww good for her!! Out of the mouths of babes! Nice job Mom.… Beautiful girl =)

kb
kb

That is amazing!!! This generation will have so much confidence in themselves 🙂

MsKat
MsKat

JazzWife

And there it is. The reason for this natural movement … to change the hearts and minds of the younger generation such that a blonde wig has no appeal. I don’t know you and I am so proud of you, mother. Wonderful, wonderful job! You are raising a self confident, beautiful young lady. Go ‘head!

SJ
SJ

My heart melted into a pile of goo as I read this…So adorbs! It really gives me hope for this upcoming generation. Radical self love already beginning to flourish at age four. Stay blessed 🙂

juanicole617
juanicole617

That’s awesome! I’m so glad to hear how the next generation feels about their own hair and their blackness. She knew that blonde wig was not happening.

treacle234
treacle234

Lovely! Keep up the good job! goes out to her mother.

ADRZ
ADRZ

whooo! *blackflip along with ya* lol

colalover
colalover

Whoopie! Big deal! Gee just because we come from an ignorant generation, doesn’t mean our kids do…Why are we supposed to be impressed by this. Of course she gonna pick her own pretty hair over that horse hair.

kendra b
kendra b

I actually cried when I read this. I wish my mother had instilled in me the love of self. I was made to feel ashamed of my beautiful nappy hair. But, I am all grown up and I have been natural for about 25 years. Happy to be Nappy 🙂

Dotty
Dotty

It’s a nice story but.…she did straighten and band her natural hair. Why not a twist out or curly fro like them new doctored Barbies that people give to their curly/kinky haired kids? I am not trying to be unkind, I’m just wondering.

Alisa
Alisa
Reply to  Dotty

That’s what I thought as well. I would have been more pleased with the story had the little girl worn a big afro or cute twistout…But Halloween is not a holiday I celebrate, so this story didn’t appeal to me overall anyways…

Tracy
Tracy
Reply to  Alisa

That’s the beauty of being natural you have versatility. Everyone is not opposed to using heat. People always get their panties in a bunch when a natural decides to something other than a twist-out or braid out.

For me personally having the option to wear my hair wild and free or to straighten my hair is the reason why I went natural not everyone fits into one mold.

Eli
Eli

then don’t be unkind…it’s a beautiful story about a little girl having her own identity at this age.

on a more serious note.…that much hair at age 4??? You go “Brown Barbie”!!!!!

jasmine
jasmine

hooooooorrrrrrraaaaaayyyyyyy! Praise GOD! so excited to hear that!!

Crystal Russ Horace
Crystal Russ Horace

Dee
Dee

That baby will grow up a strong woman because of you mama! I wish you had been my mom! Keep up the good work!

Shaylah
Shaylah

Proof that our black girls and black teens are listening to us and watching our moves. She is very cute and I like that she stood her ground. her hair is so much prettier and you can see her natural beauty versus someone else “perceived beauty”. Way to go momma.

Ashley
Ashley

🙂 I’m doing backflips in my head also!

tristan
tristan

Yaaaay!

Myss Sonya
Myss Sonya

She is a beautiful girl and her hair is beautiful! #goodchoice #greatjobmom

Precious
Precious

It’s encouraging to read these kind of stories. Thanks for sharing Crystal Russ Horace. On another note, what is your regimen with your daughter’s hair? Her hair is amazing! My little sister is 7 years old, and her natural hair has been at shoulder length for what seems like forever. My mother was never really into taking care of our natural hair (I had my first relaxer by the age of 3), so I never really learned all the tricks and products for retaining and maintaining long natural hair, besides braiding it. I would really love whatever useful pointers/tips that… Read more »

Crystal Russ Horace
Crystal Russ Horace
Reply to  Precious

I cowash her hair every two weeks with carols daughter hair milk. I also use the leave in conditioner and black vanilla spray in for detangling. If I braid her hair one week the next week I’ll do ponytails or a puff. I try not to braid too tight and I seal her ends with royal crown hair grease. I am not a naturalist that believes every ingredient has to come from Mother Earth and be absolutely pure lol. Lastly, I only buy carols daughter when they have sales and promotions. It can be a bit pricey.

Precious
Precious

Awesome!
Thanks for responding back. I’m going to try this, maybe not with the Carols Daughter’s product (I don’t do with pricey. lol)

Precious
Precious

shani
shani

Yessssssssss! Do that baby girl!! I’m glad she knows her natural hair is better than anything fake. Love self first!! Keep up the good work!

Charvonne
Charvonne

I just love that we have taken back our pride in our hair and the baby girls see the pride and they are embracing it!

Jesse
Jesse

Okay that is awesome. She is so cute too! This natural hair movement is an interesting thing. Not only are we educating ourselves, but this knowledge that we have is so valuable to younger generations. Imagine a whole generation of black women who grew up loving their natural selves. What an empowered generation indeed! 🙂

Mesha
Mesha

BRAVA BABY GIRL BRAVA!!!

jess
jess

Why wouldn’t she, you made a beautiful baby 😉

kara
kara

Wow 4 years old with such a good head on her shoulders. She has learn to look at herself in a positive way because of the good influence’s encouraging words around her! Looks like she hasn’t been influenced by the t.v. or peers, but my her loving parents! Good job parents!

Luvmykurlz
Luvmykurlz

Awwww!! this is SO adorable! You are right baby, your own hair looks 10 times better 🙂

Erin Lloyd
Erin Lloyd

Amen! I love the fact that that little sistah loves who she is and won’t let society tell her what is standard. Adults can learn a lesson from her!

IDon'tGetIt
IDon'tGetIt

But you still straightened her hair though…So its like you negated everything you said, because she still likes the more socially acceptable version of herself/hair (straight) instead of her natural (maybe kinky/un-straightened) hair.

HairToday
HairToday
Reply to  IDon'tGetIt

I Don’t Get it really Don’t get it…and I’m sure you won’t if you don’t have hair like that. She pressed it out and banded it to take it out later that night because it is more manageable that way. As someone who has grown with a lot of natural hair on my head (A LOT) I understand the need to find ways to manage hair. If she left the hair out it could get tangled (I can’t believe I’m having to defend/explain that woman’s choice) I just dislike seeing when someone shares good news and another person always try… Read more »

Crystal Russ Horace
Crystal Russ Horace
Reply to  IDon'tGetIt

I rarely straighten her hair. She was a character and that character had long straight hair. But even with her hair straightened when I took those bands off it was still big, poofy and kinky. But a little more manageable like the lady said above. If she went as the girl from Brave (she has long curly locks) I would’ve did a bangin twist out lol.

merry
merry

i find it so sad when black people repeatedly refer to our hair in the context of manageability. so weird.

gapch
gapch
Reply to  IDon'tGetIt

although i believe the author can do as she pleases with her child’s hair i had a similar initial thought…

WhyMe?
WhyMe?
Reply to  IDon'tGetIt

hmmm, interesting

Hannah
Hannah

I feel a bit teary!

Youngin girl
Youngin girl

I was elated that she rejected the blonde wig. I thought I’d be reading something negative but this is a story I will remember. There’s nothing wrong with dressing up and wearing a wig for that particular day. Her poinytail is cute and so is she. Somewhere along, Change should be expected.

merry
merry

uh, but naturals on this very site dye their hair blond and are lauded for it.

if the girl wanted the blond hair, how would she be any different from the grown women on this site who actually prefer to see themselves that way too?

oh the hypocrisy.

Anthony Grant

This…makes my heart smile. My Goddaughter is the same way.

Je
Je

Always negative nellys have to take something positive and put their negative take on it!

Nature Girl
Nature Girl

Yas! Werk it baby girl.

Emily
Emily

I like her natural hair too I never understood why blonde hair was a must with costumes when I was a kid

I think this is GREAT!
I think this is GREAT!

Train up a child in the way he should go,
And when he is old he will not depart from it.

Though she is not old, this is a reflection of the amazing job that you are doing in raising up your daughter with self-pride and love of who she is! Great job, mommy! 🙂

Tawn Scotton

And she should chose her natural hair, it is gorgeous, it makes her look like a princess! The blond wig was gross! Her hair would have been beautiful EVEN if it were not down to her little waist but oh my word, to have hair that she can sit on…how long and healthy. It shows the world that whether brown, tan, butter yellow, whether coarse or thin, curly or kinky, straight or somewhere in between…OUR little girls are beautiful and growing into a generation of women that will decide what they want to do with their hair. Be free little… Read more »

Queen Rene

Nice! She is cute~
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/hhbr.jpg[/img]

HeLowAddicted

Annnnnnnw! So cute! At her age she already realize that she doesn’t need it in order to look beautiful in real life and in her costume!

Yemzi

Aww, love this story, and she’s so right, her hair looks 100% better than the blonde, and it’s even just as long! She’s a smart little beautiful brown Barbie, I hope she had a wonderful Halloween! x

Reanna
Reanna

It just goes to show how much parents are responsible for the self-image of our kids and not just the media can be blamed. We really need to teach our kids to appreciate and love who they are. By the way not only is that little girl’s hair long you can see how healthy it is kudos to her mom for taking good care of it.

stephanieb
stephanieb
Reply to  Reanna

I so agree, it’s important that parents instill a good dose of self-esteem and self-love into their children, because if the children don’t get it from them, who will they receive it from. And I agree with many of the comments, the little girl’s own hair is so much more beautiful than that stringy blond wig, I don’t blame her for wanting to rock her own hair. Kudos to this adorable little princess and to her mom!! I wish this kind of stuff could be aired on the news, our people need to see more positive stuff like this.

Ms Vee
Ms Vee

Good for her!! I think she is a beautiful brown Barbie!!!

RB
RB

This makes me so happy! You are doing something right mom!

tmc (toronto meet up nov 16)

wow, at 4 years, she already knows what a brown barbie is. What a smart little girl.
I get uncomfortable when I see a black child with a white doll. it just doesnt look right!
kudos mom
themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

jada
jada

Amen! My mom made sure I had black dolls! Black girls nowsdays are lucky to not only have access to black dolls, but black dolls with kinky hair!

Pleshette's sister
Pleshette's sister

Good job to Mama! Teaching your child to love herself is paying off!

TheRYL1
TheRYL1

OMG…I teared up!!!! It is so wonderful to see her loving her beautiful, brown self! YES! 😉

ja
ja

Yes, they absorb so much more than we give them credit for — you are obviously teaching her how perfect she is by example!!

smm
smm

Great post! I am encouraged by this beautiful baby, and kudos to her Mom, too! I wish more Moms could see the beauty of nourishing our daughters and their God given beauty. I was just about in tears a few days ago after seeing a little girl about the same age whose hair was full of fake braids to the middle of her back with rows of beads on the ends. A two inch swath of her little edges was almost gone around the perimeter of her entire head, but she was happily swinging those braids, though! What gives? Although this… Read more »

gapch
gapch
Reply to  smm

a bit overdramatic…

Phoxxie
Phoxxie
Reply to  smm

No I think Smm is dead on. I seen a teenage girl the other day with missing edges.

Nicole Thompson

I LOVE this… a little girl who loves herself the way she is. Mom, I’m doing backflips with you too! I pray she’ll grow into a teenager, then an adult, who’s grounded and real and continues to love her beautiful self just the way she is.

beverly diggsbe
beverly diggsbe

You’re doing something right mommy!!!

Jane
Jane

Nice. I would not have allowed her at that age to make her own decision. The wig would have disappeared if at all possible, but the fact that she made the correct choice reflects upon you as a mother and how well you are socializing her in a culturally correct way.

Jenny
Jenny

That is beautiful 🙂 She didn’t need that ratchet looking blonde wig anyway! LOL

jacqueline

The great she so beautiful and that great she knows Who she is keep up the good work mom

Miatta

Now that’s a beautiful child!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/1645–1.jpg[/img]

myblackfriendsays

I’m glad she let her daughter decide whether or not to wear the wig. I’m also glad her daughter decided not to.

Dabney
Dabney

YAAAAAYYYY!!!! I think we are having a positive affect on our girls! This makes me happy! Way to go Mom and Way to go o your little one!

Sophie
Sophie

Cute! You’re doing a good job mama!

Kay
Kay

ok now we’re getting somewhere.

Princess C
Princess C

Well done Mum 🙂

Lets keep pushing the positive vibes down the generation ladies. This post has put a huge smile on my face.

Jacky
Jacky

Brown barbie,so cute.I’m glad that she embraces her natural hair.This is part of the reason why i am natural,so that the African children of today and of the future can love and embrace their hair.

Jacky
Jacky

and your daughter is adorable

Kareen
Kareen

With hair like hers, I can see why she rejected the blonde wig. Her hair is beautiful.

Ubah Luar
Ubah Luar

Tears to my eyes.…., Happy happy joy joy dance!

Its great to read this post!

jazzie
jazzie

I don’t blame her that wig is unflattering, with her own hair she looks like the fairy-princess she is.

fay_jay
fay_jay

She and that hair are beautiful.

betty
betty

I looooive that I hope my daughter feela so proud of her hair as well one day

Bobby Ray
Bobby Ray

Now, if only other black women/girls would ditch the BLONDE WIGS/WEAVES!!!!!!!!!!

Bobby Ray
Bobby Ray

Great story BUT I wonder if the child would have felt the same if her hair WAS NOT down her back!

Trini
Trini
Reply to  Bobby Ray

An interesting perspective that I thought of as well. I’d like to be optimistic that regardless of the length that she would have avoided the wig because of the self-love that was instilled in her.

cacey
cacey
Reply to  Bobby Ray

interesting question, bobby ray. i’ll admit i thought that myself the first time i read it. i would like to think that the answer would be yes, but a lot of little black girls tend to favor longer hair, so if she were your typical child i’d bet that if the blond wig happened to be substantially longer than her real hair, she’d probly opt for the wig no matter how hideous the thing actually was, because in a child’s mind ‘longer’ trumps appearance any day. the fact that it’s long makes it beautiful, as kids don’t have a concept… Read more »

Crystal Russ Horace
Crystal Russ Horace
Reply to  cacey

She chose her own hair when her hair was braided up. I only straightened her hair after she chose to wear her own hair. When her hair was braided the wig was way longer than her hair.

daisha
daisha

this is one of the most wonderful stories I’ve ever heard

Darlyne
Darlyne

that’s my favorite hairstyle. I do it all the time.

Bev Willis
Bev Willis

You are a great role model for your daughter mommy!

Tiff
Tiff

Her real hair is longer than the wig too!! Good job mommy!!

Linda
Linda

I’m surprised you’re surprised… That’s not a flattering wig at all 🙁

Destiny
Destiny

This is what I like to hear! There aren’t enough little girls out here loving their hair. They think that crap that we seen on music videos is “pretty”.

Jaz
Jaz

I literally almost started to cry while reading this story and seeing the pictures. I am so proud of her mother for giving her a positive self image. This is so needed in our communities. Young girls should fell they are beautiful and unique. I am also proud of the little girl for realizing her own beauty.

kate
kate

I think that this litte girl understand more than some adults.
No need to put this blond wig because she is a real black girl.
She give us one lesson because she is proud of her naturel hair.
Respect princess!!!!

Amado
Amado

I find this wonderfully awesome. Keep up the great work raising an intelligent and confident daughter!

Denise
Denise

Black Girls Rock!!!!!!!!!! Good for her and good for you mom.

Kishea
Kishea

This put a big smile on my face

Daniel
Daniel

um, it could be because her natural hair is completely amazing. Nice to get a solid confirmation of the strength and self worth you’ve worked to grow in her, right?

Zani
Zani

Awesome! You taught her well.

H Smith
H Smith

Bravo Mommy,???????? Thank you for teaching her to appreciate her Black Girl Magic; she will teach the world