Marie // 3A Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Oct 8, 2013

IMG_7786

Introduce yourself!
M:
I go by Marie and I’m from Virginia Beach, VA.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
M:
I’ve been natural all of my life, never had any relaxers or dyes. My mother pretty much set the standard for me. Funny thing is a time when I was in high school I bugged her to perm my hair. She never gave in!

How would you describe your texture?
M:
My hair is 3A and let’s just say climate can either run or ruin my strands. I have a head full of hair that is very dense, so when frizz happens it happens.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
M:
When it comes to styling I like to keep it basic. My typical go to style is a 4 plait braid out, which I braid every night before bed. To be worry free, I love to get cornrows. And I will leave them in until I’m ready to take them out for the best hair EVER!! If I decide to I’ll do twists or bantu knots, and after my curls are flat I wear a top bun. I always add product that keeps my hair from drying like Pink Lotion, oils, and leave in conditioners, and if I feel I already have enough product from a previous application, I only add water to wake up the old.

IMG_6551

What does wash day look like for you?
M:
My wash days are basic — it just takes hours. I wash, condition and do a simple hot oil treatment. Before I wash I make sure I’m tangle free. I then separate my hair in 4 sections into 4 braids. I wash each section one by one, re-braid, and then condition each section and rinse. My current wash day products are Herbal Essence’s Hello Hydration, Tresemme Naturals, Pantene Relaxed & Natural and/or Suave Professionals Moroccan Argan Oil.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
M:
The same remains if you’d asked me this years ago — a high bun, only then it was referred to as a “bun” or “ball”. I probably wore my hair in a bun years straight lol.

How do you combat shrinkage?
M:
Nope no shrinkage problems.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
M:
Dry scalp!! I went “old school” for treatment and it works. My mom scratches my scalp inch by inch to lift all the stubborn flakes, then heavily butters my scalp with kitchen butter. The butter sits on the scalp and sets in allowing the patches to turn soft. Then give it a good wash. The texture of the butter is solid enough to pack on, yet light enough to easily wash away.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
M:
Wash in sections, and as long as my hair is moisturized, styling is easy with a spritz of water.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
M:
Overload on product. It ruins my hair’s natural moisture and oil process. Skipping washes for too long is bad because it makes my hair color look dull from product and dirt, plus my scalp will go bananas.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
M:
Yes I have a YouTube channel www.youtube/soface2face. I’m also on Instagram daily @xolovemariexo. Check it out!

About Meosha

Sana
Sana

If I was your mother I’d do the same thing. I love your hair it looks very healthy.

Reply to  Sana

Thank you!

mlank64
mlank64

Absolutely beautiful.

Reply to  mlank64

Thank you!

AKING
AKING

LUXURIOUS BLACK SILK!

Reply to  AKING

Thank you!

Amma Mama

Her face is stunning and her make up is on point. Beautiful hair as well. She and her mom really take care of her hair, lovely.

Reply to  Amma Mama

Thanks dear!

nylse

butter as in butter that contains cream salt and milk???? that butter, really curious

Crist
Crist
Reply to  nylse

LOL

jjac401
jjac401

Oh we! What a beauty with a beautiful head of hair. Flawless!

Court
Court

I watch her videos and follow her on Instagram. She’s so pretty and nice, we’re bffs in my head. She definitely deserves more exposure like this. Yay Go Marie.

NaturallyPhoxxie
NaturallyPhoxxie

Iono about all that kitchen butter stuff but your hair is lovely.

NaturallyPhoxxie
NaturallyPhoxxie

But I’m sure SOMEBODY is going to try it though! This girl right here will let that bandwagon pass.

momofIV
momofIV

Lovely young lady. You got me pondering buttering my scalp now with actual butter.…sounds intriguing.

linda
linda
Reply to  momofIV

Absolutely beautiful hair and personality.Congrats sister and keep up the good work! Yes butter works and yes it is butter like butter made from milk. I do it sometimes myself with Ghee butter. I learnt it from my fellow Indian friends and it just works the same as vegetable butters such as shea but I noticed that butter is easier to work with than other vegetable butters and washes out better leaving shiny hair behind without the greasy film. Also you can use it on your hair length as well as a prepoo, a hot oil treatment or sun and uv… Read more »

alice
alice
Reply to  linda

do you wash the butter out with warm,hot, lukewarm or cold water??

Reply to  alice

Hey love, I use warm water.

Elle
Elle
Reply to  linda

I’ve used ghee as a DT well. It doesn’t contain protein and salt like milk or butter and doesn’t need to be refrigerated. It’s also used for hair in some African countries and in India. I couldn’t stand the smell either but I’m sure someone has come up with some EO addition to combat that. Ghee works great tough.

erigirl
erigirl
Reply to  momofIV

butter is used as a deep conditioner treatment in east africa, but i’ve never tried it cause i can’t stand the smell >(

Redseouls
Redseouls

Gorgeous lady with beautiful hair!!!

BeaJae
BeaJae

Lovely hair. Oh, how I adore your mother for never relaxing your hair or putting in your head the idea that you need one.

Jax
Jax

Your hair looks so soft!!

Kan
Kan

Seriously beautiful hair and girl! You look like a QUEEN!

Kami
Kami

Gorgeous hair and skin.

Also, I think she’s a good example of how our mother’s old school techniques weren’t necessarily all bad. Haven’t seen anyone use pink lotion in the natural hair community

lahblooplah
lahblooplah
Reply to  Kami

yup. Around 3 years ago when i was growing out my hair from a relaxer, my mom would grease my scalp and my hair just grew really. But now that i’m putting the current natural hair practices into practice, my hair is growing at a slower rate than usual. Oh the irony.

Asana

gorgeous hair!

whatshetaughther.blogspot.com

Iva
Iva

My goodness she is gorgeous!

hmm
hmm

This is what 3a hair looks like? Honestly asking cause it just looks so much like straightened / heat trained hair

LaNeshe
Reply to  hmm

It looks stretched in all the pictures. I don’t think any of them are her “fresh out the shower no product” curl pattern.

JustmyObeservation
JustmyObeservation
Reply to  hmm

I have to agree.
Lovely girl and lovely hair, but all I see are braidouts, twistouts, bantu’s, blow dried and flat ironed hair.
Her ends do appear thinner than the rest of hair probably from to much heat.
Not sure I’d call her 3a. Heat trained 3a maybe.

JustmyObservation
JustmyObservation

*observation

Lynn
Lynn
Reply to  hmm

This is heat trained hair, not a natural 3A, sorry. That would mean her true curl pattern would be like loosely waved latina hair without heat. No shrinkage? Well hell, I wouldn’t have any shrinkage either if I blow fry my hair and stretch my braid/twist-outs to get a loose 3A texture. Not trying to be nasty, but my eyes are not deceiving me.

To each his own though. I’m just not a fan of heat.…

Devany
Devany
Reply to  Lynn

I dont think her hairs heat trained, i mean im like 3b/3c and my hair gets like that after bunning or being in french braids/ braid outs. Also her hair is longish so that would also stretch her hair out (which might be part of why she doesnt have much shrinkage). And 3a hair isnt loose waves its like looser curls, loose waves would be like 2a-2b.

cacey
cacey
Reply to  Devany

thank you devany, the voice of reason. my hair’s 3b/c by the looks of it, and if i even so much as put my hair into a pony tail the part that’s actually pulled taut becomes just as straight as if i blow dried it, and from what i’ve seen, my hair blow dried straight looks like a type 4’s flat ironed on about 300 degrees, or even 400 from what i’ve seen in videos. just for reference. therefore, what i think ppl are getting confused is the fact that her hair doesn’t appear to be naturally *Silky*, but what… Read more »

vickiana
vickiana
Reply to  Lynn

latina hair though? please what is latina hair? I’m latina and my hair does not in any way resemble other latina women…

hmm
hmm
Reply to  Lynn

WELP! Her hair is indeed damaged and heat trained… No wonder she doesn;t deal with shrinkage lol. It seems her natural texture is only the first 4 inches from the roots and its a 4a texture. Not a hater but BGLH please do your research first!

Pseudonym
Pseudonym
Reply to  hmm

Doesn’t “natural” mean not chemically altered to be straight? I thought that one could color or heat-straighten one’s hair and still be natural. I straighten my hair a couple times a year; does that mean that during those weeks I don’t qualify as natural? or is there a certain percentage of curly days to qualify? People are too interested in attacking this woman. If you like and want her look, do it. If not, don’t.

well
well
Reply to  hmm

Here’s a wash and dry video. She DOES have SOME shrinkage, as all curly hair does, just not 3c-4c shrinkage. Still wish she would’ve included some photos of her hair in its natural state. I call foul on this blog for not asking for pics of her hair unstretched!!!

well
well
Reply to  well

and before anyone says WHO CAREs about my comment: a lot of women (and men!) come on here to look at style icons’ hair in their natural state to get an idea what can be done with hair that looks like theirs (no, typing doesn’t hurt).

Fairy
Fairy
Reply to  hmm

+1. This does not look like 3A hair. Sorry. She looks like she could be 4A instead. I don’t like to “TYPE” peoples hair. But don’t put up a bunch of braidout, stretched, heat trained hair pics and then call it 3A.

alice
alice

Beautiful hair, skin, face.…just beautiful all around.

maxine
maxine

Beautiful head of Indian hair..if only all black women looked like this beauty,would be rocking the world.

ignorance
ignorance
Reply to  maxine

WOW.…

lahblooplah
lahblooplah
Reply to  maxine

This is so stupid it’s funny. Why dont Indian women run the world?

CurlyQ
CurlyQ

Maxine, they still make people that think like you?! Wow.

Love Marie

Hey ladies! Thank you for all your kind words. I was really excited for this opportunity and I feel I answered the questions honestly. I’ve natural all my life over the years my hair has trained itself. I was asked about “shrinkage problems” Everybody’s hair shorter while wet and that’s not a problem for me. As to I’ve never worn a “wash n go” which is my sis sis which is when my 2 sisters (both newly natural) experience the most shrinkage. Again, personally I don’t have any shrinkage problems. Sorry, My natural hair “style” isn’t like most. I know… Read more »

Reply to  Love Marie

You said to correct you if you are wrong, well I’m not here to correct you but rather share what I’ve observed about your hair from looking at your pictures and your youtube videos. 1. From watching your hair straightening video, it is evident that you experience shrinkage. Your roots are very different compared to the ends of your hair, your roots appear to be a lot more full, curlier/kinkier and thicker than the ends which I am almost certain is due to frequent use of heat. 2. According to the creators of these hair typing systems, Ananda lewis and Chilli… Read more »

Reply to  Observation

Forgot to add that from watching you video, your roots look poofier and more shrunken when wet/damp or with product and your ends look somewhat straight with a looser pattern.

Reply to  Observation

Note*
I am not bashing the use of heat in anyway. I see nothing wrong with her hair or how she cares for it and I couldn’t care less what anyone does to their hair. As long as you are happy with your hair that’s all that matters right? My comment was only to share my observation since in her comment, she asked us to correct her if she was wrong concerning her hair type. There is no one size fits all when caring for hair, do what works for you.

Cat
Cat
Reply to  Observation

YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF GOING TO THE LENGHTHS THAT YOU HAVE, IT’S OBVIOUS YOU HAVE NOOOO LIFE AND ARE CLEARLY A HATER. I AM EMBARRASED FOR YOU, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF WRITING ALL THESE ESSAYS SPREADING NEGATIVITY, YOU NEED PRAYER!!!!!!

fail..
fail..
Reply to  Cat

lol!!!

Reply to  Cat

You misunderstood me. I have never and will never spread hate or negativity in any form so I am sorry you feel this way. Maybe you can enlighten me by pointing out some of the things i’ve stated that are hateful and negative…This beautiful hair idol asked for clarification, if she did not I would have never commented and as I stated before I see nothing wrong with the way she cares for her hair. From the looks of it, it appears well cared for and healthy. My comments were to only point out that if one insist on using… Read more »

Reply to  Cat

Sites like this did not always exist and it is a blessing for many of us so with that said, when reading interviews showcasing women like Marie with such gorgeous luscious looking hair, people just want to learn and understand the full story, that’s all. People are becoming more aware, they can tell the difference between one’s natural texture vs manipulated hair. Heat trained hair looks awesome on many and I can totally see why it is done. But if you are going to inform, help or inspire others then typing heat trained hair vs your natural texture that grows… Read more »

Really?!
Really?!
Reply to  Observation

Observation — you have WAY too much time on your hands… would you be so quick to pick re hair type if she was lighter? Or if she had said she was 4c would you be so adamant in saying that she was obviously not?

Reply to  Observation

This is in response to the comment made by: Really?! AUGUST 18, 2014 AT 5:57 AM. Yes, I did have a lot of time on my hands 🙂 And I truly enjoy talking about all things hair. I see nothing wrong with that 😀 Now to answer your question. I have the EXACT same complexion as Marie and I think this woman is absolutely stunning. So it has NOTHING to do with skin tone. Wow! Also, if she typed it as 4c I would have made the EXACT same responses because according to the hair typing system her hair does not match that description… Read more »

Jc
Jc
Reply to  Love Marie

Marie, can I say I think hair typing is in general a very stupid thing and I do especially think that people who are determined to correct others on their interpretation are failing to see that hair typing is really not a science, it is a general assessment open to interpretation. If you type yourself as a 3A that is fine with me. Hell in 2001 apparently I was a 4a but in 2007 that changed to 4c and then in 2009 I was told that I am a 4z lol. I also have to say that the people commenting on… Read more »

Reply to  Jc

I can understand your take on hair typing and I personally do not use hair typing to describe my hair type which is very similar to Marie’s but it seems like people insist on categorizing hair types in order to have a more organized way of understanding and caring for their hair. For example; many people claim it helps with product choices, it helps them have an idea of how they can style and care for their hair. I find it useless for me but if hair typing helps for some, let them have that. From reading all of the comments… Read more »

Lisa
Lisa
Reply to  Jc

Sorry I was trying to thumbs up your comment. Fat fingers and a touch screen don’t get along too well.

lahblooplah
lahblooplah

What a beautiful lady!!! she has beautiful hair too but the woman herself is so gorgeous!

Sjamie
Sjamie

Your hair is like my 7 year old daughters hair.. 3ish give or take a letter..lol. I tension dry her hair and then braid it out and it looks like yours. Beautiful hair but a lot of work as her hair is mid back. I keep it braided or twisted because she is a child. Thanks for the pointers and products you use because my hair type is different then my daughters so what works for me does not work for her.

kgsunshine
kgsunshine

Fabulosity!

Britney!

Hey! I live out in Hampton, VA.…I’m still transitioning out of permed hair…been “natural” going on two yrs now. My hair seems to have reached a growth stump.…I’m looking for a good natural hair stylist in the Hampton ROads area. I see you don’t have to go to a stylist.…as you’ve been natural your whole life.…anywho…if you’ve heard of any good stylists…I’d love your input! Thanks!
‑Britney! in Hampton

Nini
Nini

VA represent! I love the hair and style. I’m not a makeup girl, but I love that your Youtube channel has makeup tutorials for dark-skinned girls.

Also, in regards to the Pink Lotion, I would love to see an article on this site about the old-school routines (grease, Pink Lotion/Oil, etc) that actually worked. My mom and sister use Pink Oil religiously. I stopped (years ago) because I thought it wasn’t working. But that was back when I didn’t know how to take care of my hair. Now I’m wondering…

Jack
Jack
Reply to  Nini

I don’t like it, too greasy and leaves residue on everything. I haven’t used it in years.

darkchildlovethyhair

Beautiful lady with beautiful hair.
I wish…*sigh

Camillia
Camillia

Beautiful lady and hair!

redeemed
redeemed

It would have made things easier if it was mentioned that the hair was heat trained. I love heat and have no problems with it.in an interview we want to understand things that’s all. I love the length 🙂

Hillary

Ugh. So beautiful!!!

Demi_kisses01
Demi_kisses01

I’ve noticed that whenever there is a beautiful dark-skinned woman with gorgeous hair that is of a looser curl pattern, she is often critiqued or questioned about her true pattern. You can thumb down this comment as much as you like, but it’s my truth. I began my hair journey and thought I would find support among my sisters but I have been so disappointed lately. I too have hair that is in the 3 category and I have a chocolate complexion. I have been asked the most hurtful questions like,“do you have a texturizer or a curly kit?” Seriously???… Read more »

mlank64
mlank64
Reply to  Demi_kisses01

Demi, sadly i have to agree with you. Added to the critique is the question often asked to women with darker complexions with a looser curl is “Are you mixed”. There should be an article to address this issue as somehow your skin tone is correlated to the type of hair you “should” have on your head. It is quite puzzling since many of the ladies who have been asked that question when they are natural never have been asked the question when they were relaxed. At least that is what I’ve noticed. I know of two Youtubers who have… Read more »

Shantay
Shantay
Reply to  Demi_kisses01

I don’t think it’s a color or skintone thing. Her hair looks like heat straightened type 4 hair, and there’s nothing wrong with type 4 hair. At first I thought she was transitioning bc of how the ends of her hair look. I’ve seen plenty of dark skin women with type 3 hair as well as light skin women with type 4, color doesn’t dictate the curl pattern. The bottom line is her hair appeared to heat trained which would attribute to the lack of curl. She is a very pretty girl with beautiful hair. Some of us were a… Read more »

mlank64
mlank64
Reply to  Shantay

Yes, I agree but there are some that correlate skin tone with curl type.

Ty
Ty
Reply to  Shantay

And MAYBE it’s not heat trained .….she NEVER said her hair was FINE and 3a .…that’s why the hair typing system is stupid .…because MAYBE she’s has a more FLUFFY OR COTTONY or KINKIER 3a .. Verses the more SILKIER pictures we see of 3a … KINKY DOESNT MEAN COARSE .… It’s just NOT SILKY …

Poster Girl
Poster Girl
Reply to  Demi_kisses01

Demi that is soooo true! I am chocolate as well and have had very long hair throughout my life. People always questioned me on the validity of my hair because of how dark my skin was. I also think its funny that people are so quick to come for you if you hair type toward a looser curl, that if you hair type to a tighter curl when you are actually looser. People really go in. Just an observation.

fail..
fail..
Reply to  Demi_kisses01

There are dark women on this site with loose textured hair that have been recieved well, no one bats an eye. No one is denying black women (not mixed) can have looser textures. At least none on the site. Seems like you are reaching. Marie’s hair actually appears heat trained. Her roots don’t resemble the rest of her hair at all. Nothing wrong with heat training if thats what you want do, do it. Perhaps when BGLH posts style icons they should put a disclaimer whether the icon is heat trained. Or simply not follow the hair typing system. I don’t state… Read more »

Shantay
Shantay
Reply to  fail..

Very good points!! I watched her ‘About my hair’ video on YouTube and she clearly states she has used a hot comb and flat iron since childhood. That hot comb is most likely what caused the texture training, lol. She also mentioned in a comment on that video that she has type 2 hair.… So BGLH should do better if they are going to include typing bc not everyone knows or follows the typing system and it’s clear Marie is not well versed in hair typing and that’s okay. P.s. I think it’s hilarious we say heat trained which is… Read more »

Fairy
Fairy
Reply to  Demi_kisses01

Uhm this is not about skin color!! I haven’t even read anyone mention anything about skin color except you! She claims she is a 3A. All the 3A’s hair I’ve seen don’t look like that. Her hair looks to be 4A with obvious heat damage. Like I said in my other comment I don’t like “Typing” peoples hair. But don’t say you are 3A, and then when we see your pics all we see is braidouts,and straightened hair.

Nooni
Nooni
Reply to  Demi_kisses01

If the most hurtful question is do you have a texturiser, you must have a pretty easy life! Some people take things to seriously.….

Ty
Ty
Reply to  Demi_kisses01

AGREED !!!! The beautiful girl was asked about shrinkage PROBLEMS .…whatever “shrinkage” she does have is NOT AN ISSUE FOR HER .…she didn’t bash no one of a looser or tighter texture just her TRUTH.… Thank you !!!

vivien
vivien

I still think argan oil is great for natural hair, very moisturizing and repairing. I use a brand called pro naturals.

kb
kb

She has beautiful hair, regardless of whether or not it’s heat trained. However the BGLH should have known , when they put 3A on the post and didn’t show na’ curly hair pic, people were going to scratch heads. Would have been better if she were just a super long hair icon. If I were to play devil’s advocate I think you all did it on purpose. 🙂

Demi_kisses01
Demi_kisses01
Reply to  kb

Interesting perspectives. I may have jumped in with my guards up based on my own personal incidents with people questioning the validity of my true curl pattern based on my skin tone. My apologies. I also believe that Marie is heat trained but the “open letter” from one reader and the ongoing debate made me question their agenda. It seemed like some readers couldn’t wait to debate or correct what Marie classifies herself with. I have seen MANY hair icon posters mis-type their curls, but it was never brought up among the readers as it has been in this case.

Reply to  Demi_kisses01

I think the reason why it may not have been brought up the other times was because they did not ask for clarification. If you read Maries comment she says “correct me if I’m wrong.” I don’t give feedback to people who do not ask but in this case she asked and I respectfully stated my observations. The whole misunderstanding was that she may have unknowingly classified her heat trained hair as 3a vs her actual texture that grows from her scalp which “appears” to be of a totally different texture. They are both very different and should be pointed… Read more »

mlank64
mlank64

No not reaching at all. I’ve seen women of darker complexions talk about this issue. Perhaps not so much on this site but on youtube. “Mahogany curls”, “lifewithcoco2”, kimmaytube, blugtar87, “shessayingsomething, sistawithrealhair,are just a few off the top of my head that have been asked the question regarding if they are mixed.

fail..
fail..
Reply to  mlank64

and.….??
Not one person has questioned this womans racial makeup.
Or is questioning someones hair type (that looks nothing like what they said), some how equal to someone saying she is not “mixed” enough?
Yes there are people that do this, but what does that have to do with here. It always the same people on this site that like to bring up race or color on things that had absolutely nothing to do with it, nor was even mentioned. This isn’t Youtube…

Seems like a big reach.

mlank64
mlank64
Reply to  fail..

Why are you so combative. We are all here to learn and appreciate all the natural hair ladies on this forum. Actually, if you look back at the comments, some ignorant ass did make a comment about her hair being like “indian hair” so.…..stfu..we are done!

fail..
fail..
Reply to  mlank64

*Sips coffee.…
Spits it at screen and laughs!!

You have indeed reached to high into this lol.

AnonSince87
AnonSince87

I’m confused; her hair looks like normal 3b/c/4a hair to me *shrug*

fail..
fail..
Reply to  AnonSince87

But not 3a…
So why are you confused?

AnonSince87
AnonSince87
Reply to  fail..

I’m confused by the notion that her hair is ‘clearly’ heat trained. It just looks like regular hair to me (of type 3/lower type 4). I’m trying to understand what makes it so obviously heat trained (and that’s a genuine wonder).

Pseudonym
Pseudonym
Reply to  AnonSince87

Why do you consider 3b/c/4a hair “normal” and “regular” but not 3a? Isn’t it all normal? Your choice of words is telling.

tracena b
tracena b

Beautiful hair!!!!!!!

Gotta Do better
Gotta Do better

So is 3A the light skin of hair? She said she been natural all her life she lives this. She probably doesn’t know all the vocabulary and systems recently created to help newbies. I would have just saw it fine to ask her to reconsider her type and not try to bring on a scandal. Like she said her natural style is different, does she have to wear wash n gos to be a hair icon?

Wanda
Wanda

Marie

Your hair is BEAUTIFUL!!! When mine grows out, I want it to be just like yours! (In my little girl voice.) 🙂

love6
love6

I’m just curious. Why didn’t you talk about your heat regimen. You have very beautiful and healthy hair (as well as skin) and it is obvious that you have devolved a healthy heat regimen that works for you. I just wish you shared it. There are a number of natural women that are curious about the best way to use heat and still retain length. It looks like you figured that out. I just don’t know why you didn’t share that information with us, this interview would have been a perfect platform to do that.It just feels like you held… Read more »

Reply to  love6

Totally understood. I didn’t mention anything about heat because I wasn’t asked directly. To be honest it never crossed my mind. The questions were pretty exact. I wasn’t at all trying to hold back or mislead anyone. I’m just a regular girl with natural hair. I agree and you’ve given me a good idea, I will add a detailed video to my channel about my personal hair to styling with heat. I can totally respect your concern and appreciate your approach. It is a short interview and I have life stories about my hair lol but with “focus” questions, I… Read more »

me :)
me :)
Reply to  Love Marie

Wow. Thank you, I didn’t expect a personal response, but im glad I got one. Ive visted your channel a few times. And you are indeed beautiful. I don’t want you to feel like you have to defend yourself (you don’t) but I am grateful to see the video on how you use heat.

stayls

For those who were honest with their assessments of this article, thank you. I think as naturals we will have this issue for sometime, and I also think that we should address it. If we are to be proud of ourselves, or blackness, and who we are, collectively, I think we all have a duty to remind each other that we are beautiful. No matter the hair type. Since folks are talking about skin-tone let’s. I know a friend who has 3a hair, but the problem with this article is that there is denial. If we are representing black women… Read more »

Love Marie

Hello everyone. I am Marie, Lets just clear things up!! I will in no way knowingly mislead anyone. I am 28 years old and I am asked about my hair on the daily. I don’t think I’m better than no one or other type of hair, its really no biggie. Yes hair typing is confusing and yes I answered based on the knowledge I have. I don’t know anything about trying to be “3A” it sounds like I was being accused of trying to claim a hair type I’m not. NEVER! All I can be is me with my hair and… Read more »

SantanaNyla
Reply to  Love Marie

You’re crazy …I would flaunt that hair every chance I got. Controversy? My hair would need a publicist to answer the questions because I would be too busy creating more controversy. Make sure that the shampoo companies offer you a campaign contract because you just gave them free promotions.
I love the look.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Snapshotofme2.png[/img]

kb
kb
Reply to  Love Marie

I guess there is a template , that we are use to seeing. It would appear the BGLH, uses the same questions for all icons. You happen to be different, and so it would have been nice, if the questions were geared toward your hair. Also if someone is a type 3 we are used to seeing some texture, i.e. of shot of your hair w/out it being straighten first. I think if the interview were tailored to you, it wouldn’t have been such a kerfuffle.
At least you got 91 comments, most good and BLGH got a lot views:)

Reply to  Love Marie

Because this is the internet, it’s hard to read people so I can see how certain comments may have came off as if you were being accused of knowingly claiming a hair type that you were not. I am sorry you felt that way but I assure you, this was not the case. People were more curious and confused and just simply expressed what they saw from your photos and video. Now for clarification. You not having shrinkage problems was never in question. It was just observed that you had very little shrinkage and people noticed that it was due to… Read more »

bsbfankaren
bsbfankaren
Reply to  Observation

You should take a look at LongHairDontCare2011. Her hair is “heat trained” and yet when she posted a photo of her hair wet, it does indeed still have a curl pattern, and in fact a tighter curl than all of you who feel the need to delineate “heat trained” hair want to believe to be true! It is entirely possible her hair is 3A whether she uses heat on her hair or not.

ida voyder
ida voyder
Reply to  Love Marie

Marie, THAT is the reason I do not answer ANY Questions at all about my hair, they can call me what ever they want to — if you answer there will be problems, and if you don’t answer there will still be problems. Sometimes i come to this site and i can tell automatically who is going to be torn apart. Keep doing you, and be happy doing it — you don’t have to justify yourself to anyone.
Love your hair. Take care girlie.

Reply to  ida voyder

Thank you so much!!

Jenna Marie Christian
Jenna Marie Christian
Reply to  Love Marie

You are beautiful and so is your hair. 🙂

Thank you love.

KinkyCurlyMinx
KinkyCurlyMinx
Reply to  Love Marie

Wow, I’m surprised and disheartened by some of the comments on here. I’m upset that Black women that follow this site can’t be happy to see another Black woman who is confident in her own beauty. Your pictures are inspiring. Your hair is long and it looks strong, shiny, and healthy. It’s a shame that sisters can’t just be happy for you. Hair typing is totally arbitrary. Anyhow, I was happy to read your feature. Keep doing your thing mamma.

Reply to  KinkyCurlyMinx

Thank you so much for your kind words.

bsbfankaren
bsbfankaren
Reply to  Love Marie

Girl do you, and to heck with the haters or those who demand endless explanations. If your skin tone were lighter, no one here would be questioning your hair type. My daughter’s hair is similar to yours and your skin only a little lighter than your’s. Her hair is also NOT heat damaged, and yet when she posts her photos, the first thing that came out of anyone’s mouth was that she had heat damage! Please! While my hair is of a courser texture, I also don’t have issues with shrinkage, and while I have some curl when my hair… Read more »

Reply to  bsbfankaren

Thanks and yes no one can define my hair but me.

MrsWilson
MrsWilson
Reply to  bsbfankaren

@bsbfankaren: I am darker than this gorgeous lady and from my understanding, my hair is 3a and I have not used any chemicals or any form of heat in 9 years. Others with 3a type hair that appears identical to mine are Ananda Lewis, IveyCharlene on youtube. Marie’s hair does not look that way. My mother has mostly 3c with some 4a and her hair looks just like Marie’s hair. From reading the comments, the issue has nothing to do with her complexion. It is just about the fact that her roots are different than the rest of her hair.… Read more »

Antoinette Stewart

You are stunning.

Thanks hun!

Skyler
Skyler

I hope you know that you are beautiful and don’t have to prove anything to anyone! BGLH is just that: Black girl with long hair. Nothing more and nothing less whether heat trained, curly and even dare I say it NATURAL. You look awesome in your pics and Im so glad we’re seeing more 3A’s or just healthy hair in general.

God Bless!xox

Reply to  Skyler

Thank you so much for you kind words.

kris

Beautiful hair. End of story!

Reply to  kris

Thank you.

ScriptTease
ScriptTease

I am a grown woman and never knew about a grading system until last year. Although relaxed, I’d like to say I have a pretty good grade of hair, so I’m constantly told. I am not a hair person. I can do about 2–3 styles, and that is it. I really don’t care too much about hair, just as long as it’s not sticking all over my head.

I’m thinking about going natural, however somewhat discouraged do to time consumption.

Jay
Jay

That girls hair is fierce as hell! Love the braided high pony =) #swerve

Reply to  Jay

Thanks lovey.

Ashley
Ashley

She is such a doll. She reminds me of my cousin.

Reply to  Ashley

Thanks, tell cuzo I say heeyyy

Nkem

Beautiful hair and lovely complexion.

Reply to  Nkem

Nkem

Beautiful hair, i have seen someone with your kind of hair.I agree with your classification.Stick with it girl.And lovely complexion too.

Reply to  Nkem

Thanks you beb.

Ynl
Ynl

When I saw this feature, I knew there would be controversy. Why does it matter how someone types their curl pattern? Whether someone else uses heat everday or not at all has no impact on any other head of hair. I hate the term “haters” but that’s exactly what the negative, silly commentators appear to be.

OMG
OMG

I am a grown woman and never knew about a grading system until last year. Although relaxed, I’d like to say I have a coarse grade of hair, so I’m constantly reminded. I am not a hair person. I can do about 2–3 styles, and that is it. I really don’t care too much about hair, just as long as it’s not sticking all over my head.

angie
angie
Reply to  OMG

do it girl suddenly you’ll go from 2–3 styles you know…to 12–13 styles youve mastered. I was relaxed for years and made the jump…for no reason. never had relaxer issues. Simply because i wanted to try it out. now i love it. Dont let the natural nazis who thumped youre comment down..bring you down. Go natural when youre ready and if it never happens, then just learn to care for your hair like a natural and watch the change.

You are beautiful!
You are beautiful!

Your mother is a very wise woman. You and your hair are gorgeous!

Thanks honey

Camillia
Camillia

Absolutely gorgeous!!!

Reply to  Camillia

Felicia
Felicia

Lovely hair! This is the first time I have read of someone using butter. We use all other types of oil and butters, why not the real McCoy? Your pictures are lovely and your care is obviously successful!

Reply to  Felicia

haha thanks boo

aj
aj

You are gorgeous, hair and all!!!!! Thank you for representing Va Beach! No chemicals = natural hair!!!!!

Reply to  aj

Ayye VA BABY haha thanks beb

Vena
Vena

Your hair is gorgeous! Love it!

Reply to  Vena

Thanks baby cakes!

steel magnolia
steel magnolia

Beautiful hair, beautiful skin, beautiful young lady; you should model.

Reply to  steel magnolia

Thank you x3. *blushing*

VeeVee Brown
VeeVee Brown

Just stumbled across this post. You have beautiful hair. I really don’t understand why some posters have been so critical. It’s your hair and you know more about it then the folks reading this blog. We all have different hair (I’m a 4c and suffer from shrinkage but wouldn’t change it) and no two hair types are the same. We should embrace and love the hair we have. Anyways, I just wanted to say that your hair is just blooming gorgeous.

Reply to  VeeVee Brown

Thank you and I appreciate your support! xoxo

Shaneka G.
Shaneka G.

My hair is just like yours Marie 3a! For years I look for some one that had the same type of hair had. I don’t use heat, never had a problem with shrinkage, and hair is natural. It’s a blessing to see someone with the same hair. I thought my hair was 3a but people would always only white people hair can be that way and it’s not true.

Reply to  Shaneka G.

Thank you!

Shaneka G.
Shaneka G.

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/20121228_084247.jpg[/img]

lockstrss
lockstrss

Chile you read em!!! I HATE hair typing myself. Gorgeous hair, spirit & WERK THAT HAIR!

Reply to  lockstrss

Thanks so much!!

4cbutdon'tlikehairtyping
4cbutdon'tlikehairtyping

Beautiful girl and beautiful hair, really glad you shared her hair journey and interview with us. Sadly I feel like us constantly talking about ‘combatting shrinkage’ is very negative and unfortunate. Isn’t the whole idea of the natural hair ‘movement’ that we are positive about the way our is naturally? Also, hair typing seems to be largely ineffective, it’s descriptive not explanatory. I mean, anyone can look at a persons hair and go, that is wavy, curly, very curly, tight curls, why have we put letters and numbers together as if there’s some scientific basis to it? Density, porosity, thick/thin is… Read more »

4cbutdon'tlikehairtyping
4cbutdon'tlikehairtyping

I don’t mean to take away from this article, or Marie’s hair journey, it’s just something which struck me now, reading the question, ‘How do you combat shrinkage?’ and wonder if anyone else feels the same. I feel like, as someone with 4c hair, the whole natural hair movement has become a ‘learning how to make your natural curly hair as straight and long as possible using natural and organic hair products’.

Kaila P
Kaila P

Sometimes the shrinkage leads to tangles, which just makes the hair harder to deal with. For me it’s not an obsession with length but more of a means of finding a way to avoid one’s hair from becoming a tangled mess

4cbutdon'tlikehairtyping
4cbutdon'tlikehairtyping

OKay I just read LoveMarie’s previous comment, so I see you feel the same, to an extent!

Onyinye
Onyinye

Woooooooooooowwwwwwwww! Your hair is sooo gorgeous and very healthy! You are beautiful too…I hope to get there someday 🙂 black is everything beautiful!

beely
beely

Wow..I was told to check out this article and from reading the comments, a lot of people seem to be taking the person’s who’s name is; ‘observation’s’ comments the wrong way. But I can definitely understand what ‘observation’ is saying. The roots are clearly different from her ends and that’s ok!! The person was just sharing their observation and not once did I see ‘observation’ speak negatively of Marie. Why did some of you have to take it as far as skin tone issues, hating etc. It doesn’t matter what ethnicity or the complexion, the truth still remains that Marie has… Read more »

miley
miley

She is a beautiful woman, everything about her is simply gorgeous. But I have to agree with some of the comments. From watching her videos, her roots are different from her ends. And it appears that she doesn’t quite understand the hair typing system. All of these styles that are displayed here are manipulated styles so you can’t really see her true un-manipulated texture in these photos. And when I say un-manipulated I mean no heat, no product enhancements or manipulated styles like twist-outs. Her ‘heat trained’ ends and results from the manipulated hair styles may be 3a but not… Read more »

Reply to  miley

Hey boo. I haven’t visited this page in years lol. Yes and I still know nothing about hair typing. Since this article, before and after I have never claimed a hair type. I never will again.