Jonna // Multi-Texture Style Icon

Avatar • Oct 26, 2013

photo 2 copy 2

Introduce yourself!
J:
My name is Jonna and I’m from Newport News, VA aka Bad News.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
J:
I’ve been natural for almost 5 years. I decided to stop relaxing my hair in an effort to live a healthier lifestyle and because I was inspired by other women’s natural hair and was curious what my natural hair would look like.

How would you describe your texture?
J:
My curl pattern overall is tightly-coiled. Most sections would be considered 3c/4a, but there are some small areas that are 4b/c. I have medium porosity hair, so it absorbs and holds in moisture and products well. I have a medium texture, so my strands are not fine or coarse but right in the middle. My hair is very thick for the most part, except the very front/center of my head where my hair is slightly thinner than the rest.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
J:
For the most part, I wear my hair in some type of bun Monday-Friday, and then I usually wear a twist-out on the weekend. For me, the bun is my version of a real wash-n-go! I generally follow the LOC method (Leave-In Conditioner + Oil + Cream Styler) for styling. I like to use creamy leave-in conditioners because for me they combine the L & the O in one step. After I apply my products, I either put my hair in a bun or twists for a twist-out. As a blogger, I’m always reviewing different styling products so I’m often using a different product every week. But here are some of my favorites: Leave-ins: EDEN BodyWorks Coconut Shea Leave In Conditioner, Karen’s Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia, Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming Leave-in Conditioner, OBIA Natural Haircare Curl Moisture Cream, Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, EDEN BodyWorks Coconut Shea Pudding Souffle, Karen’s Body Beautiful Super Duper Hydrating Hair Cream and CURLS Curl Souffle.

photo 4 copy

What does wash day look like for you?
J:
I like to start by applying deep conditioner to dry hair. My go-to is EDEN BodyWorks Jojoba Monoi Deep Conditioner, but I also like the deep conditioners by Koils by Nature, Karen’s Body Beautiful, and Shea Moisture. If I have time, I will also apply my Hair Therapy Wrap, which is a self-heating wrap to help the deep conditioner penetrate. Then I will apply a medicated shampoo to my scalp while my hair is still dry and massage that into my scalp for my severe seborrheic dermatitis. I do a little finger detangling and then hop in the shower to rinse out the medicated shampoo and deep conditioner thoroughly. Next, I apply a moisturizing shampoo to my scalp and massage, then smooth from root to end as I rinse it out.

I’m liking the shampoos from Its Yours Hair Co, Beautiful Textures, EDEN BodyWorks, nuNAAT Real Me and Curls Unleashed. Next, I do an oil rinse, which involves applying oil to the hair while wet to detangle. I’ve used sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, and olive oil, and my fingers glide through my hair with the greatest of ease so I can finger detangle. If I still have tangles, I apply my favorite conditioner, Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner and continue to finger detangle. I also keep shears in the shower in case I need to cut out single-strand knots and tangles. I end with a cool water final rinse. I wrap my hair in a t‑shirt to absorb excess water and then start with my styling regimen.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
J:
My favorite go-to style is the bun. I like it because once it’s in a bun, there is nothing else to do except wrap with a satin scarf to keep the frizz down.

How do you combat shrinkage?
J:
I wear my hair in stretched styles like twist-outs mostly and ensure my hair is completely dry before taking the twists down. If I want more stretch, I use the tension method to blow dry my hair before twisting. If I want to just define my natural curls, I sit under a hooded dryer after applying whatever curl defining products until my hair is dry to prevent shrinkage. A hand-held blow dryer can be used (with or without a diffuser) if you don’t have a hooded dryer.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
J:
My problem area is my scalp. I suffer with severe seborrheic dermatitis, which results in large, unsightly flakes and scalp discoloration. The only way that I’ve found to combat it is to keep my scalp clean. So I have to cleanse my scalp more frequently than most, sometimes 2–3 times in a week depending on if I’m experiencing a major flare up. So it’s important that I do low manipulation hairstyles and use moisturizing products.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
J:
1 – Do thoroughly detangle. 2 – Do use creamy moisturizing products.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
J:
1 – Don’t air dry when wearing my natural curls. That equals major shrinkage, which equals major tangles. 2 – Don’t do bantu knots on wet hair. It will take days to dry.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
J:
You can find me at Naturally-Glam.com where being GLAM comes Naturally!

About Meosha

Nkem

Your hair is lovely…I love the second picture in the last collection.

Jonna
Reply to  Nkem

Thanks!

Valerie Price
Reply to  Nkem

Hi Jonna, Glover Mane liquid oil treatment will allow you to be free of flakes. It destroys bacteria in the hair follicle. It will rid you of the bacteria. Onion juice is excellent to spray on scalp before n after shampooing. Collect a jar and place lots of onion peels inside the jar pour boiling water into the jar let stand 24 hours and spray on the scalp. No onion smell it’s a great scalp cleansers prior to shampooing n after shampooing. Must keep juice refrigerated.

Janae
Janae

I’ve never come across someone who’s hair is so similar in appearance to mine. I feel like I spotted a pink elephant or a unicorn.

clar esa
clar esa
Reply to  Janae

I was just saying the same thing!!! The first hair icon that I could honestly say has a similar texture to mine plus her hair loves a lot of the same products my hair loves 🙂

shay
shay
Reply to  clar esa

Me three! I swear I was looking at pics of my hair! It’s dense & shrinks but when blown out it’s pass bra length.

Fish
Fish
Reply to  shay

This is the first time I have seen a natural with my texture and who uses the same products as me. I have only been natural 6 months but for the first time I know what my hair will look like when it grows out!!!I’m so excited I could cry!!!

Jonna
Reply to  Janae

Our names are similar too!

JoAnn
JoAnn
Reply to  Jonna

Hi! I’m another “hair twin” and my name is JoAnn. 🙂

Angie B
Angie B

I just had to comment because it’s rare that I see Newport News online! I grew up there. Beautiful hair, too

Jonna
Reply to  Angie B

Yay! Bad News in the house!

T Conner
T Conner

Your hair is absolutely beautiful!

Jonna
Reply to  T Conner

Thanks!

treece12
treece12

I like her hair. I like the updo with the fringe in front (at her work desk?)

Jonna
Reply to  treece12

Thanks!

Michelle
Michelle

OMG! It’s so refreshing to see someone with the same curl pattern as mine. You hair is beautiful! Keep the info coming!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/image-42.jpg[/img]

Jonna
Reply to  Michelle

Thanks! Be sure to follow my blog and YouTube channel!

Kristal
Kristal

My daughter’s name is Jonna &&& WE are from New News, aka Bad News, aka Newport News! Great article and awesome tips. Thank you.

Jonna
Reply to  Kristal

How cool is that!!!

Princess C
Princess C

You have gorg hair 🙂

Can I ask how long have you had highlights for and have you experienced much difference in how you have to treat your hair now?

Jonna
Reply to  Princess C

I had the highlights done in Jan 2012. I really didn’t do much different even though I probably should have lol. But I just had major color done this weekend, and the whole process took a toll on my hair so I will using moisturizing products between wash days, and doing weekly deep conditioning using a hooded dryer, heat therapy wrap or steamer.

Ubah Luar
Ubah Luar

Thats it!
Jonna you have absolutely gorgeous full hair and i love your texture.
Im just one step closer in to getting high lights (even dough its winter time)

Jonna
Reply to  Ubah Luar

Thanks!

keisha
keisha

GORGEOUS woman and hair! I felt like I was looking at pics of my own hair!

Ton
Ton

Beautiful hair. I have seborrheic dermatitis too! I’ve had it about 10 years. I used to have terrible flare ups and I found that keeping oils and moisturizers away from my scalp keeps my flare ups reduced to a minimum. I read online that the fungus loves oils so it’ll eat it up and cause more flakes & flare ups. Also a big help has been applying apple cidar vinegar and water to my scalp with an applicator bottle. I do 1/3 acv and 2/3 water or 1/2 and 1/2 if I had a bad flare up (which I havent… Read more »

Jonna
Reply to  Ton

Actually the ACV rinse didn’t help for me as far as a permanent solution, while I did use it on occasion prior to a dermatologist recommending that I rotate the medicated shampoos. My scalp seems to be responding somewhat. I definitely avoid oils and products being applied to the scalp for sure! Thanks for sharing those tips — while it hasn’t worked for me I’m sure they will help someone else out there!

mimi
mimi

Hi Jonna, You could possibly try going fragrance free? When I went natural and started using products on my scalp often. For the 2.5 years I’d been natural up until a few months ago I thought I had seborrheic dermatitis. Because it would never leave! Then I happened upon a video on YouTube talking about fragrance and itching, did a bit of research, went fragrance free. And realised I had contact dermatitis not seborrheic dermatitis. It’s caused by the fragrance in products (natural or not) including the shampoo i was washing my scalp with, conditioner, deep conditioner, the essential oils I… Read more »

Jonna
Reply to  mimi

I’ve had this condition since I was a teenage (20+ years) so I’m not sure. I try to avoid my scalp unless applying a cleanser but it’s sorta impossible 🙂 I will look into this. Thanks for the suggestion!

virtuenow
virtuenow

What color (and brand) are your highlighted tips? Very pretty?

Valerie Price

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/181686_570617782959380_445392711_n.jpeg[/img]

Valerie Price

Hi Jonna,
Glover Mane is and excellent oil treatment .Which kills the bacteria seborrheic. To keep scalp refresh onion juice is great. Its not smelly. Collect a glass jar fill it with onion peels. Pour boiling water over the onion peels . Make sure their not any air bubbles in the jar prior the placing top tightly on to the jar. Use prior too shampooing n after deep conditioning leave in hair. You won’t smell like onion. Peace love and compassion. <3
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/181686_570617782959380_445392711_n‑1.jpeg[/img]