Janelle // 3C/4A Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Oct 24, 2013

twistout 2013

Introduce yourself!
J:
Hey! My name is Janelle and I was born and raised in Inglewood, CA. I am currently living in New Hampshire completing my senior year of school at Dartmouth College.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
J:
I’ve actually been natural my entire life. I’ve never had a perm. Although, when I was younger, I did use blow-dryers every time I washed my hair. I flat ironed my hair on special occasions (picture day, birthdays, Christmas, graduations, etc.) I decided to learn to take care of my natural hair for a number of reasons. I wanted to challenge myself. I wanted a goal to work towards outward of academia, so I chose my hair. I’ve always wanted long healthy hair, so one day I started googling and came across Kimmay on YouTube. I made a pact with my friend that we’d follow her tips for a year. Absolutely no heat, organic products only, deep conditioning weekly, and protective styles 90% of the time. After the first year, I couldn’t break the routine, so it’s pretty much been a lifestyle change. I’m currently 2.5 years into my hair journey and I hope to reach belly button length by the three year mark (May 2014).

How would you describe your texture?
J:
My hair is predominantly 3c and 4a. I have very tiny spirals when my hair begins to air dry. My strands are pretty thick and can become coarse if they do not receive enough moisture. I love my hair because it is so versatile. I can wear sleek hairstyles; I can wear big, voluminous styles. It really just depends on the look I’m aiming for. When I initially started my hair journey, the hairs on my head were between 12 and 14 inches long. Presently, the shortest strands on my head are about 20 inches and the longest are about 23 inches.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
J:
My hair styling is pretty cyclical. Every week I pretty much do the same thing. I do my wash routine on Sundays. Monday is usually very busy, so I wear my hair in a bun or twists keep my hair stretched. If I end up wearing a twist out, I re-twist my hair at night (about 10 twists) using Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk, water, and coconut oil. I’m very active so I keep my hair up in a bun or twists throughout the week. On the weekends I like to wear my hair out. I love my weekend hair because it’s big and long from being stretched all week.

Products:
Shampoo: Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo
Conditioner and Moisturizing Detangler: Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
Deep Conditioner: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
Protein: Aubrey Organics GPB Glycogen Protein Balancing Conditioner
Moisturizer: Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk
Oil: Virgin Coconut Oil

noheat blowout june 2013

What does wash day look like for you?
J:
Wash day is bitter sweet. It takes me anywhere from 1–3 hours to do my hair. I start with finger detangling and separating my hair in 4–5 sections. In the shower, I shampoo one section at a time, rinse, and apply Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner. I detangle and twist the section to prevent it from getting tangled with other sections of my hair. I repeat this on each section, leaving in the conditioner until I have detangled and twisted each segmented area. At the end, I rinse out all of the Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner at the same time. Next, I thoroughly apply Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner to each section of hair and pin each twist to my scalp. I put on a plastic shower cap and let the deep conditioner set anywhere from 30 minutes to overnight. After I finally rinse the deep conditioner out, I moisturize each section with Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk and seal the ends with a little bit of coconut oil. At this point I’m ready to style. Most of the time, I just put my hair into twists or a single braid so that it will dry in a stretched state.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
J:
TWIST OUT! I make it a point to go to bed with my hair twisted every night. In the morning I either wear my hair twisted or if I’m feeling debonair, I’ll wear a twist out. It’s quick because I prepped the night before. If somehow I failed to twist my hair, I’ll wear a big high bun. It takes about 5 minutes.

How do you combat shrinkage?
J:
I personally dislike shrinkage, so my hair is always stretched. I’ve probably worn a wash and go twice in the past 2 years. The styles I use to combat shrinkage are twists, twist outs, bantu knot outs, flexi rods, and Curlformers. These styles allow you to manipulate your natural curl pattern without applying heat. Plus, you get to wear so many different looks.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
J:
The hair on the nape of my head is a bit kinkier than the rest. It tangles a lot in these areas and I have a TON of single strand knots because of it. 🙁 To combat this, I try to keep my hair stretched or in a protective style (twists, bun, ponytail). I haven’t figured out how to prevent single strand knots, so I’ve learned to just accept them. On occasion, I grab some scissors and go on a search and destroy mission.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
J:
Do wet and moisturize my hair at least 4 times a week. Every other day, I mist my hair with a spray bottle and redo my twists. Make sure you seal the ends with coconut oil and/or a moisturizer. Do sleep with a satin pillowcase or satin headscarf. It keeps my hair moisturized and protected from abrasive materials.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
J:
Do not use a hard bristle brush. It can be tempting, but it rips the hair out from the root. I would suggest using your hands or a soft bristle brush for smooth looks. Limit or never apply direct heat. Deep conditioning under a hooded dryer is pretty safe. I would recommend avoiding blow-dryers, flat irons, curling rods, etc. I understand occasional use (occasional being once a year, twice at most) but be sure to use a heat protector (I use Desert Essence: Coconut Hair Defrizzer and Heat Protector) and low heat settings. It only takes one time to ruin years of effort.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
J:
I have an Instagram: @jay_dreams.

About Meosha

mlank64
mlank64

The care you put into your hair has really paid off. It is gorgeous and so healthy. I’m sure you will reach your goal in no time. Thanks for the healthy tips. Beautiful hair!

Reply to  mlank64

Thank you so much. It’s so exciting and encouraging to even be on this blog. I’m glad to help!

June
Reply to  Janelle Ross

I am really loivng the theme/design of your blog. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility problems? A handful of my blog audience have complained about my blog not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox. Do you have any ideas to help fix this problem?

Scott2396
Scott2396

FA-BU-LOUS

Antoinette Stewart

You are beautiful ! Do you have an East African background?

Janelle Ross

Thank You! And nope, not to my knowledge.

TWA4now
TWA4now

WOW! She is spot on! Her hair is so pretty and her hair is so long and gorgeous! #haircrush4real!

Dotty
Dotty

Lovely!

Lebra Davis
Lebra Davis

Absolutely remarkable. I’m trying to get there sis. I’m only seven months natural!
[file]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMG_20131020_171713‑2.jpg[/file]

Reply to  Lebra Davis

thanks! the beginning is the hardest. just stay focused 🙂 best of luck to you

Lebra Davis
Lebra Davis
Reply to  Janelle Ross

I really appreciate this. I am still new to this. It just felt right to cut all my perm ends off. I ain’t go lie I did dye it tho, so it can Pop!

Sassy24
Sassy24

Awesome hair

Youngin girl
Youngin girl

Healthy and beautiful. When you take care of it, It grows. I love your features and beach photoes. You are working it.

Reply to  Youngin girl

Those words are so true. Thanks for the love 🙂

kris

Your hair is gorgeous!

hmm
hmm

Wow 23 inches in only 2.5 years? Thats alot considering the avg. Wouldve been 15 inches. Lucky its in your genes

Thatgirlwitdabighair
Thatgirlwitdabighair
Reply to  hmm

She started off with 12–14 inches of hair. Hair grows at an average of 6 inches per year. It took her 2.5 years to get er hair to 23 inches… So either she wasn’t retaining all her length or she just had slow growth.

Janelle Ross

yeah that pretty much sums it up haha. I haven’t figured out which one it is yet, probably a combination of both

Love JAH
Love JAH

Beautiful hair and model might I say! How does one do a heat less blow out!?! Curious minds want to know.…

Reply to  Love JAH

Thank you 🙂 I do my heatless blow out the same way you’d do a regular blowout, except I use cool air only. You achieve the same look as a heated blow out, it just takes WAY longer. If you wanna try it, I suggest letting your hair air dry for 20 mins before starting. You can use a comb attachment or you can use the tension method (safer). Either way, make sure your hair is completely detangled before you start. hope that helps

TMC (toronto meet up. nov 16)

i agree with you on the hard bristle brush part, I don’t understand why they exist in the first place. I too have also learned to embrace SSKs, I always have them, though I wear my hair stretched most of the time and I even wash in sections. But I ocassionaly cut them off when I get too bothered by them.
Your feature prooves that having natural hair doesn’t automatically mean it will be healthy and long, one still need to give it extra care so it could be healthy and grow long. you’ve got such beautiful hair
themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

Lola
Lola

Lovely hair .…. Dartmouth, nice.

Ava
Ava

Now THIS is a Black Girl with Long Hair 🙂

elsa
elsa

Great hair and woman.

Dionne Josephs
Dionne Josephs

Hi you have lovely hair I just wanted to know when do you use the protein balancing conditioner?

Reply to  Dionne Josephs

thank you, and yes that’s the one GPB: Glycogen Protein Balancing Conditioner

Janelle
Janelle
Reply to  Dionne Josephs

Oh sorry I read your question wrong. I use GPB every 2–3 weeks. And I follow with a deep conditioner.

Lawuan

Wonderful pretty hair she has my dream hair type a combo of 3c 4A. My hair is mostly 4c all around very small areas being a tad bit looser such as 4b/4A.

Nappy 4C Rocks
Nappy 4C Rocks

ok, someone please explain to me what constitutes a ‘hair journey’ I have read several blogs and viewed youtube and ladies that have been natural since out of the womb are going on a ‘hair journey’ ladies that are relaxed are going through ‘hair journey’ but continue to be relaxed…I thought a hair journey started out a big chop or transition…someone please explain to me what is the difference between big chop, transition, relaxed and natural since birth(no perm at all) hair journey? Readers, I am not being a smartypants, I am curious about what constitutes a hair journey…thank you

Autumn
Autumn
Reply to  Nappy 4C Rocks

In basic terms a hair journey, no matter where you start (relaxer, big chop, transition, natural),is the process of having healthy, happy hair.

Shenika

Beautiful, healthy hair! I’m trying to get myself off hard bristle brushes, but they are so tempting when you want to just get your hair done quickly. Thank you for sharing.

sheni-kare.blogspot.co.uk

EmskiB
EmskiB

My word, your smile is infectious and your hair is gorgeous to boot. Also, well done on making it to Dartmouth!

Janelle
Janelle
Reply to  EmskiB

That’s so sweet! Thank you!

Amanda
Amanda

oh my goodness your bathing suit top is everything

glad you shared these gorg pics of you and your hard work is paying off
inspiring

trackback

[…] bitcoin   scarlett johansson   breast cancer awareness   kenya   VMA 2013 […]

Asia

I have 3c/4a texture and it can be challenging for me sometimes. I’ve been reading different articles of naturals with the same texture and I’m learning a lot. In being natural for almost 2 years, I’ve grown to love my hair. I hardly wear my hair out, so I have little experience w/ twist outs. I think the longest I’d want my hair to grow is your length. Anything past that, I don’t think I’ll have the patience lol …Here’s my hair pictures: http://knotsoknappy.weebly.com/my-natural-hair-journey.html

trackback

[…] yo. I was just checking out a BGLH Natural Hair Style Icon by the name of Janelle and her hair something like 23 inches long. I’m truly missing my long hair right now. Hell, I’m […]

neyney
neyney

I like men! but this girl is gorgeous. Her features are really beautiful, pure and classic! her hair is to die for. she looks really tall. love her This might be my first real girl crush! she’s so pretty

Voltine Doreen
Voltine Doreen

Hi, just to say that the instagram username is wrong.

Liz
Liz

Did anyone else try the Instagram link??? Its some boy…I’m confused