Ijeoma // 4C Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Oct 13, 2013

DSC_0072_2

Introduce yourself!
I:
Hey BGLH fam, I’m Ijeoma, a Nigerian-born, New Jersey bred gal currently living in New York City! I’m technically supposed to be pursuing a doctoral degree in history of public health, but I pretty much blog at Klassy-Kinks.com while going to school on the side!

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
I:
I’ve been fully natural since May of 2010. The summer before that, I randomly got some kinky twists and was enjoying the break from my hair, and at the same time started reading articles in Essence Magazine about natural hair. That led me to YouTube and different people’s Fotki pages (is that still a thing?), and I desperately wanted to see what my real hair looked like because I’d had it relaxed since I was a toddler. It was my second year of college, so I wore twists and weaves over the course of the school year before cutting all but a few inches off just a few days after I came home from finals.

How would you describe your texture?
I:
After serious reflection, I don’t think hair typing is the most useful categorization, but most charts put my hair in the upper 4 range. I have coarse, densely packed strands that really like to shrink up like it’s their job, and medium porosity. I definitely have kinks and coils, not curls.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
I:
If I do a braid out or twist out, I’ll wear it for a week or more, retwisting every few days. I’ll then morph the style into some kind of an updo, and switch between those for two weeks. Alternatively, if I start off the month’s style with a flat twist updo or something similar, it will evolve into a twist out that will become a braid out that will become a puff. I nearly always end up with a puff by wash day lol. Keeping my hair stretched helps reduce knotting, and doing low maintenance styles helps reduce breakage from manipulation. I’ve stopped using combs in the course of the past three months, so finger detangling has now become part of my routine. After experimenting with it, I definitely feel like there’s no real point in combing out your hair if you keep it stretched and use a mix of water, conditioner, and oil to detangle before washing. I go on protective style kicks every once in a while, favoring mini twists and Havana twists with Fingercomber hair (it’s so soft!), which I just learned how to install on my own. My favorite twisting product hands down is the Carol’s Daughter Healthy Hair Butter, and I typically refresh my hair with Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk. I don’t like my hair super defined so unlike many, I tend not to gravitate towards products that promise hold or magic curls.

b363392cadab11e2ada222000a9f3cf6_7

What does wash day look like for you?
I:
I only wash my hair about every three weeks to once a month (grad school + laziness = later and later washes). I’ll start off by using a mix of conditioner (currently Trader Joe’s), coconut oil, and water to carefully finger detangle my hair and put it in about 6 braids. I’ll then shampoo with Carol’s Daughter Monoi Shampoo and deep condition with Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise, still in braids. Once I’m done prancing around, I’ll undo each braid in the shower and apply some more conditioner (Carol’s Daughter Monoi, Aussie Moist, or Trader Joe’s Nourish Spa), smooth over my strands, and braid it back up. After drying under a t‑shirt for a bit, I spray the Carol’s Daughter Tui or Monoi Leave-In, seal with my shea butter/coconut oil/aloe vera gel mix, and begin styling. When I need a deep clean, especially after a protective style, I use Terressentials Mud Wash.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
I:
Puffs are the greatest! They’re the perfect blend of carefree yet regal. If I want a more toned down look (or if I want people to see my face and not just my hair) I’ll do a flat twisted crown.

How do you combat shrinkage?
I:
I don’t mind shrinkage that much, because it’s kind of cool how you can have different hair lengths in one week (or even a day!) without extensions or cutting. I braid, twist, or pineapple my hair nightly just to lock in moisture and minimize tangles, but that also combats shrinkage.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
I:
My hair was recently color treated, so I don’t skimp on monthly deep conditioning. I just had a bad experience with cornrows that left some hair at the nape of my neck fragile and broken so I’m using Jamaican black castor oil daily on that section. My scalp can get dry, so I give myself scalp massages whenever I’m doing something to my hair at night using jojoba oil. Plus it’s relaxing, which I can always use.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
I:
Seal in moisture! Shea butter really locks moisture in for days on end for me, so I’ve got to make sure to not just moisturize, but trap that stuff in before the air tries to suck it out of my hair.

Love it! Not that I’m a veteran or anything, but being on this journey for a few years has made it clear that certain curl patterns tend to get more love than others in the natural hair community. I’m trying to change that with the whole Klassy Kinks project, so by loving my super kinky hair, I can hopefully help redefine society’s perception of kinky, Afro-textured hair.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
I:
Wash and go… without some kind of stretching. I’ve done wash and go puffs and a banded wash and go, but not stretching at all post wash would probably defeat the process of finger detangling before I wash.

Don’t be rough: I’ve always had the kind of hair that stylists complained about and tugged at trying to get it to “lay” and behave. Even though I’ve got a strong (aka hard lol) head, that doesn’t give anyone—especially me—license to yank and abuse my strands. I’m not dainty or extra delicate with it either, since nobody has time for 5 hour detangling sessions, but I don’t worry about getting every miniscule knot out or being able to run a fine-toothed comb through before twisting. Too many combs have lost their lives over the course of my own at the hands of my hair, so I’m just trying to do them and my hair a favor!

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
I:
Of course! I’m on Klassy-Kinks.com several time a week where I offer my two cents on the latest natural hair news, advice and tutorials for hair styling and maintenance, healthy food recipes, weekly features of other fabulous kinky-haired women (and men!), and most exciting of all, monthly giveaways! I’ve actually had my YouTube channel the longest (since I cut my hair) but I’ve been struggling to post videos lately. My Tumblr is a great source of inspiration as there are pictures of hundreds of women with gorgeous hair! And of course I’m on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Say hi!

About Meosha

GSoldier

Yeeesss!!! Igbo kwenu!! My Igbo sisters doing things the natural thing!! Arrhhh! Did I mention yesss!! Loving the hair girl! Especially in it’s un “defined” state, e.g. pic 13!! Oooohh and 2; 6; 10 + 16!

ijeoma
ijeoma
Reply to  GSoldier

IGBO KWENU!!! KWENZENU OOOOOOOH!!!!

Ijeoma Eboh
Reply to  ijeoma

Cho cho cho! Loving the Naija love ladies!

Sjamie
Sjamie

Very beautiful! I love you hairstyle ideas!

darkchildlovethyhair

Amazing hair! Its cool to know I don’t have to be curly to have great hair.we are all beautiful no matter our texture.

Coconut + Cream

Beeeaaaautiful!

NaturalV

your hair and hair styles are lovely its nice to see a fellow Nigerian enjoying their natural hair. keep it up girl.

Amma Mama

She is so beautiful and so is her hair!<3
I remember Fotki from my transition and BC days..lol
There was a lot of natural hair inspiration on there 🙂

Redseouls
Redseouls

I really like your hair!!

Djanira
Djanira

Stunning lady and hair

AnonyChick
AnonyChick

Naija, stand up!

elle
elle
Reply to  AnonyChick

IJE!
YES OOOO!!!!!!!

Makeda
Makeda

Your hair ideas are so inspiring. I’ve recently started on the natural path and these styles have helped a lot.

Ameilia
Ameilia

Beautiful smile, face and hair!!! The outfit with the print skirt and purse served me life!!! gorgeous

Sinovuyo
Sinovuyo

You are totally gorgeous, and have absolutely amazing hair!

krayzieog
krayzieog

I subscribe to her channel and she is great. Lovely feature Ijeoma.

Trini
Trini

Gorgeous hair and fashion. You should be featured as a style icon.

alice
alice

beautiful hair, beautiful woman, love the regimen. it looks so easy and straightforward.
and the versatility kills me. Amazing how the same hair can transform into so many different styles

Sandra

🙂 How beautiful is her hair! Spotted her in Nairobi. You are always welcome to visit Nairobi again Ijeoma! 🙂 🙂

swajero.wordpress.com

Camillia
Camillia

Pretty!! I really like her hair, especially the up-do’s.

Crist
Crist

I so enjoyed reading this interview! And that bun (12th pic) is heavenly. Will definitely be checking out your website 🙂

Adjoa
Adjoa

Beautiful Female! Gorgeous Hair!

Treece
Treece

Great hair and love the hair colour

Dee
Dee

Nice! May I ask what your experience has been like with the added color?

Ijeoma Eboh
Reply to  Dee

I’ve been finger detangling using Carol’s Daughter Monoi collection since the color and I think my hair is doing just fine, less breakage! I’m posting a review of CD Monoi on my site later this week so check it out!

Dee
Dee
Reply to  Ijeoma Eboh

Thanks!

Abah
Reply to  Dee

befroe, I was natural for 17 years befroe succumbing to the creamy crack, so I was a little familiar with what my hair was like. I’ll just be glad when my hair grows a little longer to do more different styles. My hair probably is longer, but I’m just too lazy to try out different styles. Maybe after I move and get settled, then I’ll experiment more with hairstyles. Thanks for commenting!

Courtney
Courtney

I love her Youtube videos

Ijeoma Eboh
Reply to  Courtney

aw thanks Courtney!

Ama Amagyei
Ama Amagyei

Go girl! Uv given me e inspiration to get natural again. Went relaxed again after 2 yrs!! U luv ur hair effortlessly n dats nice.

Ijeoma Eboh
Reply to  Ama Amagyei

I don’t know about effortlessly but I try my best, I’ve gotta work with what God gave me! Good luck on your journey 🙂

hmm
hmm

Love you channel! How do u pronounce your name?

Ijeoma Eboh
Reply to  hmm

Well the american way to say it is to rhyme it with pajama but starting with an ee sound (e‑jah-muh). The nigerian way requires an accent lol!

stacey
stacey

Hey another nigerian inspiration for hair topics

KP
KP

I love your cinnamon bun updo! Do you have a tutorial vid for it?

Ijeoma Eboh
Reply to  KP

I actually borrowed it from Nicole Melton, if you just look up the Nicole Melton topknot, she has a fantastic video on her process

Ihuoma
Ihuoma

Beautiful Igbo girl!! I love seeing Nigerian naturalistas!! Gives me hope that maybe one day the weave-worship will stop or at least greatly diminish.…
Oh I love your youtube page..:)

Asana

Beautiful! My fave picture is the one with the long black dress. Lawd knows I love dresses with great cut and the styling with the hair and belt is everything. Great interview and good luck with attaining your doctoral degree!

whatshetaughther.blogspot.com

boo boo child
boo boo child

love! <3

Cece Danielle
Cece Danielle

She’s so beautiful!

Caramelcurls
Caramelcurls

Beautiful girl with hair to match–her spirit just shines!

the mane captain

I think i’m following you on Instagra. all great pics, my fav is the blow out fro with the ankara skirt, and the straightened look.

certain curl pattern only get more attention because women from the “other” curl pattern gives attention to them. I do hairtyping, i think its unreasonable to deny the hairtyping, because it means you don’t accept your own hairtype. I know I can’t expect to have the same“out” style as a 3a or 4a girl would, mostly because our hair is different.
themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

Ijeoma Eboh

Very real, I think there is “curl envy” that lingers among women with kinkier hair. I have a video that goes into my thoughts on hair typing , more in depth, but for me, porosity and density are more important similarities that will inform if a product is going to work on my hair. For example, if two people are “4c”, but one has low porosity vs high, or one has thick hair vs fine (and yes, you can be 4c with fine hair, the 4c only captures the “curl pattern”) can’t use the same products. Also, I reject the… Read more »

lala
lala

I love her hair and YouTube channel! She’s no longer natural though, her hair is texturized 🙁

Ijeoma Eboh
Reply to  lala

Where did you read or see that my hair is texturized? That is completely false.

Ponce
Reply to  lala

Wow you go girl!! Looks and sounds like you’re doing eynivthreg right and are well on your way!! It’s been 2 years for me and, I must say that it took me a minute to adjust, but now I really love it and will never go back to the creamy crack! LOL ~Thanks for sharing!

Chan

Very pretty! Your are super stylish also! And yes Fotki is still a thing! I still post atleast twice a month there! lol

Lola
Lola

Loved this well-written write-up and the photos/styles. I will be checking out her blog and insta.
I am a Nigerian as well and you look like you have a very similar texture to mine. My hair used to be thick and lovely but I had to cut most of it out due to a really band press and even though it is growing back, it doesn’t feel the same :’-( I definitely need some help/inspiration with good products to use for my mane. Also your de tangling method (no combs???) sounds scary yet interesting! I wonder if I could away with that…

Kymeish Gaston
Kymeish Gaston

Great article…you are always so inspiring. You do the cutest updos and a great job of presenting your tutorials.

Yemi Kuti
Yemi Kuti

I love! Love!! Love your hair!!! I think my hair can be typed “4d” ;), the coils are so tight they just scrunge up as soon as I wash off the conditioner. Been tryin to maintain my natural hair for going on 2 years, I’ve read hundreds of articles and watched sooo many video on natural hair but nothing seems to work for me, my hair just keeps breaking! Its been a loosing battle so far and I’m just about giving up and decided to just lock (dread) up my hair :(! Guess that’ll be more manageable! I just can’t… Read more »

Sylvia
Sylvia
Reply to  Yemi Kuti

It looks fine. Use accessories to glam up. Try mini two strand twists with beeswax or other wax like daz for men.

Ijeoma Eboh
Reply to  Yemi Kuti

Yemi shoot me an email!

trackback

[…] weekend (which was also it’s 3 month birthday), in large part due to my recent features on BGLH & Curly Nikki! Klassy Kinks Services is also a lovely addition, and I’m having a lot of […]

trackback

[…] Ijeoma, founder of Klassy Kinks has given me the honor of being a monthly contributor to her wonderful […]

Ifeoma
Ifeoma

Its unbelievable all the styles you can do with your hair! I am just growing out my perm (for the second time) and its almost out, not thinking of cutting it all off and growing it back… no way! Its a struggle having to comb it, reading here about finger detangling…hmmmm I guess there is no harm in trying it out as I have tried combing and its unmercifully painful and living here in Africa getting products for natural hair is not so easy. Your hair is a great inspiration. Will have to check out your youtube channels!!

trackback

[…] I also discovered this blog via BGLH because its founder Ijeoma was also featured as a hair icon. Here is her BGLH feature. I liked her blog so much that when I saw {via her Instagram post} that she was […]

Kiara
Kiara

I really need help!!! It doesn’t matter how much oil I put in my hair it just will not stay moisturized. It’s like nothing works. My hair is experiencing extreme breakage and shedding. I’m using the pure coconut oil and herbel oil. My conditioner is the au naturale by dark and lovely and I can’t find a deep conditioner that work well on my hair. It’s so depressing can someone please help me.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/image-34.jpg[/img]

DeAnna Anderson
DeAnna Anderson
Reply to  Kiara

I’m nowhere near an expert on ANYTHING hair related but I had the same problem too. Try Aunt jackies knot on my watch detangler. I know its a detangler but it’s SUPER moisturizing. I use that & As I Am Doublebutter cream. I’ve been lazy lately so i just moisten my hair with a little bit of water, rub the Aunt Jackies in it (& you don’t need alot) & a dollop of the As I am and its good. oh! & try the Tresemme flawless curls conditioner & the Aussie 3 minute moisture…just a few suggestions.I’m still on a… Read more »

K
K
Reply to  Kiara

Steaming my hair is what saved me my transition. I have low porosity, kinky hair that couldn’t hold moisture for anything. Also coconut oil is a no-no for me as a sealant–makes my hair hard and brittle. I steam with the q‑redew handheld and use Kinky Kurly Knot Today leave-in and seal with either olive oil or apricot oil followed by mango butter. I can now go 3 days between moisturizing. Hope this helps.

Patricia
Patricia
Reply to  Kiara

Hi, I’m sorry your hair’s breaking. Please evaluate your moisturizing methods. Oil isn’t a moisturizer. Instead, it helps seal in moisture such as a leave-in conditioner or styling cream. I hope this helps.

niella
niella

dry hair is indeed worrisome!had it b4 buh combated it with a mixture of shea butter,coconut oil nd a *lil* quantity of warmed honey.apply after moisturizing every 3 days.try it..it works!!!

trackback

[…] post’s title ended up being “Ijeoma // 4C Natural Hair Icon,” even though I said that I don’t hair type. BGLH does not always use letter type in […]

youngin girl
youngin girl

Your hair looks healthy and managed. You erase the delusion that 4c hair is bad but all in all, You have experienced with every thing and owned it in every photo. It’s like a ray of sunshine. I know I’m late on this because I am just roaming through hair style icons since there hasen’t been any lately. When I saw you, I had to stop. Igbo women in the house!

trackback