How To Fix an Ineffective Conditioner

Avatar • Oct 25, 2013

By Monèt of curlsandmo.com

A while back I was in ULTA and I saw that Güd Conditioner was on sale. After hearing so many naturals rave about it I picked it up. I REALLY didn’t like it – it didn’t have any slip imo – so I gave it away. Then I picked up some Suave conditioner which also gets a lot of raves in the natural hair community. Another conditioner I should have loved but just didn’t. {Note: my all-time favorite conditioner is Tresemme Naturals.} I decided that instead of giving away another product, there must be something I could do with it to make it “work”.

I had received a bottle of Tropical Traditions coconut oil to review and a light bulb went off. I had been using the coconut oil for everything else (cooking, body, hair, etc.) so I decided I’d add some to my conditioner. What was the worst that could happen? I didn’t like it anyway…

After using the conditioner once, the bottle was about 1/4 empty. I popped the cap off, put in a funnel and poured the coconut oil in. I left a little room at the top to shake it. After the conditioner and coconut oil were well mixed it was ready. I’ve used it about three times since I “fixed” it and it’s amazing. It has more slip, it’s better for detangling and it leaves my hair feeling really moisturized. While I probably won’t repurchase this conditioner since I’d rather not have to “fix” my products I was happy that I hadn’t wasted my money yet again.

Have you ever mixed conditioner and oil? If so, which ones? Please share below.

Monèt is the founder of curlsandmo.com, a blog about her natural hair journey, hair events she attends in NYC, beauty and inspiration.

About Editorial

BGLH now sells raw and whipped shea butter, cocoa butter and mango butter. Purchase here: bglh-marketplace.com

Sassy24
Sassy24

Never thought to do that, but I will be trying this.

Flynfab
Flynfab

That’s a great idea. I save all the products I don’t like and add them to my raw shea butter concoction. There is always another purpose for something…

Miss Elisa K.

I always do; I use it for my prepoos. I put oils (olive, grapeseed, almond, etc.), honey, melted shea butter, a thick conditioners for the base (Suave Humectant, Tresseme Naturals),any conditioners I am trying to get rid of (Organix awapuhi ginger instant recovery mask.), and of coursse coconut oil 😉 Does my hair wonders!

TMC (toronto meet up. nov 16)

I always “fix” my conditioners by adding oils, honey and aloe vera gel. Sometimes I use it as is to really test the effects of the product. But I like to concoct stuff, so I fix them.
themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

Lunye'
Lunye'

I am just like you. I use oils honey and aloe vera gel in just about everything. A friend just gave me two big aloe vera plants and some rosemary, thyme and lavender and I am loving them…

Angela
Angela

So many naturals swear by coconut oil … and yet my hair hates it SO much lol. Olive oil is my go to 🙂

Tracy
Tracy
Reply to  Angela

I hear you, I happen to love it. Shea butter is a NO-NO for my hair it does nothing for me lol…

Lunye'
Lunye'
Reply to  Tracy

I can’t use shea butter either but when I whip it with coconut oil and aloe vera gel it because so fluffy, not so heavy. I love this for my “C” when LOC’ing.

Nappy 4C Rocks
Nappy 4C Rocks
Reply to  Angela

I don’t like it either. or shea butter…I have thin, fine hair…still searching

toya
toya
Reply to  Nappy 4C Rocks

I had thin hair until I started using castor oil in my regimen. I think you would really like the results.

Ev
Ev
Reply to  Nappy 4C Rocks

try avocado oil, it’s lighter than shea or coconut oil and works great on my fine hair.

Balanced Melting Pot
Reply to  Nappy 4C Rocks

I have fine hair and I find the thicker oils like coconut and olive work best in the tips of my hair when I’m sealing my ends. Otherwise, they weigh my hair down and turn it limp.

kat
kat

Recently used half mayonnaise half kinky curly leave in as a prepoo
Was great

Elodie
Elodie
Reply to  Nappy 4C Rocks

I have 4C thin hair and my hair does not like : JBCO, olive oil or shea butter…it’s too heavy for my strands. If I want to use these oils, they have to be mixed with an ayurvedic mix…maybe a pré-poo it can work. But I never use them to seal or in my vapo. I believe the best oil to seal or to use in your vapo is coconut oil. It is really light and does not weigh on your hair…and smells good, and shines. Well at least, this is what works for me. Everybody will tell u JBCO… Read more »

Bobby Ray
Bobby Ray

I always fix my ineffective conditioning by trying news ones. Even oils dont help watery,cheap conditioners!

mochachick10
mochachick10

Yup! I mix my Suave cheapo conditioner with extra virgin olive oil. Awesome!

Jaleesa

I tend to “fix” some conditioners with olive oil. But that’s only with a cheap conditioner. My staples luckily don’t need to be fixed 😛

Dabney
Dabney

I do it all the time. I like to pre poo with Amla oil and the Suave Coconut oil.

mangomadness
mangomadness

I add coconut oil to my deep conditioners (store bought or homemade). It really softens and smooths my hair.

ladyleo
ladyleo

I mixed up all of the conditioners that I didn’t like in a large jar and added olive oil and coconut oil. It works just fine!

tammy
tammy
Reply to  ladyleo

omgeeee! this is exactly what i did with all of my conditioners. In addition i added honey and lemon essential oil & made a couple batches for relatives. I LOOOOOOOVE IT & SO DO THEY! Very moisturizing, rich and provides a great slip.

Alecia
Alecia

Gonna try this! I have Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle, which everyone seems to love but it didn’t do anything for my finicky hair. I threw it away, then fished it out of the trash to use as a shaving cream, lol… so I’ll put some oil in it and see if that helps my hair. 🙂 Thanks!

mangomadness
mangomadness
Reply to  Alecia

I tried Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner as a pre-shampoo detangler. It has ok slip and moisture.

I much prefer Nature’s Gate Jojoba Revitalizing Conditioner as a pre-shampoo detangler — it’s really moisturizing and has great slip.

Amanda Propaganda
Amanda Propaganda
Reply to  Alecia

I add Trader Joe’s tea tree tingle conditioner to my blend of whipped coconut oil and Henna Sooq’s Cocoveda and it’s like cake frosting. I use it as a pre poo. No detangling. I like to “press” conditioner into my length so I save the detangling for when I DC since detangling happens naturally then anyway. I just coat each section of hair with my coconut oil/tea tree conditioner mix, wrap it in a microfiber twisty turban and wait a few hours to wash. Works beautifully. I then co-wash with just the Trader Joe’s tea tree tingle conditioner and my… Read more »

imani
imani

I’m always upgrading my DC! My hair seems to be liking a dab olive oil,coconut oil& grapeseed oil all mixed in my condish.and sometimes the condish is already 2–3 kinds/brands mixed together in a bowl so its a big ole surprise.it depends what’s left in my cabinet! 😉

Alwina
Alwina

A great way to re-purpose a conditioner! Thanks for sharing Monet!!!

Lunye'
Lunye'

I add oils to everything…LOL…I always add my oils to my pre poos, ayurvedic muds, my castille soap for washing, my rinse out conditioners and my deep conditioners. I even add them to my mayo treatments, banana treatments and yogart treatments. Love them in everything…

girl
girl

i’m the best naturalista stoner ever. even when im stoned i still manage to moisturise my hair and put on my head scarf before bed. ^.^/

InNARA
InNARA

Always add EVOO to my conditioner!!!