How I Foil and Color My Natural Hair…At Home!

Avatar • Oct 16, 2013

IMG_6171-2060991_481x230

By Maria Antoinette of  TheMariaAntoinette.com

It’s almost my two year hair anniversary, so that means time for a celebration!!! First off I haven’t cut my hair , second I haven’t colored my hair in two years!!  So with that being said I needed to add some pizazz to my locks ASAP!!!

Before you view this video I wanted to talk about what color I used. I am a professional hairstylist and I only use professional hair color.  I used Redken Chromatics color line,  for the back half of my hair I used a natural brown in a level 4. For the top I used three hair colors, bleach and a toner. Here is a list of colors used: Mahogany Brown, Copper, light brown and bleach with a light blonde toner! I hope this helps when your searching for similar colors but don’t get caught up in trying to color JUST like me. Explore your options.  Before I was a professional hair stylist I used Sally’s hair color. They have a ton of options and great people to assist with any questions!

Here is my video of the process step by step!

Ladies, have you tried to color your hair at home. Share your experiences!

Maria Antoinette is a wife, a new mommy to Garrison, a vlogger and blogger. Her site www.theMariaAntoinette.com is all about making life easier without posts about hair, fashion, makeup, DIY, healthy and fast recipes and of course family!

About Editorial

BGLH now sells raw and whipped shea butter, cocoa butter and mango butter. Purchase here: bglh-marketplace.com

Crystal
Crystal

I tried to lighten my hair in the front and it literally melted and fell out of my head. For years I have been dying my hair black, I knew bleaching my hair might damage it, but I didn’t think it would destroy it.

I’m glad I did only a small section and not my whole head.

Ingrid
Ingrid
Reply to  Crystal

If you ever feel compelled to try lightening again, use 20 developer so you don’t have to rush and your hair won’t turn into floating dandelions lol

la*belle
la*belle

Your colour looks beautiful. I wish I were brave enough to try this, but I am petrified of colouring my head and ruining my coils.

Flynfab
Flynfab

I’m too scared to bleach my hair at home or at all. Went blonde when I was relaxed and it was a disaster, even though I went to a salon.

I just colored my natural hair at home two weeks ago bright auburn and it came out great, but no at home bleaching for me.

I love your hair color, nice job!

Kayla
Kayla

Yeah, there are somethings I’m not willing to DIY and this is one of them. I’d rather leave color to the professionals.

AnonSince87
AnonSince87

The title was misleading; she’s a professional hair stylist!

Anyway, the colour looks great on her!

Dotty
Dotty
Reply to  AnonSince87

I agree. I was thinking it looked great, how brave but since she’s a stylist it’s going to be easier for her. A lot of naturals want to experiment with colour which means going lighter, meaning using bleach and harsh chems. I would love a different colour but the aftercare and the dryness that would follow would be too much plus stylists dislike doing my 4C hair so I stay with the natural, boring off black.

ohdreey
ohdreey

i dont like the back , but the front is fierce!

Caramelcurls
Caramelcurls

The color came out absolutely beautiful– I love the depth of it. However, you couldn’t pay me to do that at home. lol! Henna is the most I’ll do when it comes to anything color related.

krokan
krokan

I wish I had the courage to try and dye my hair again. One horrible professional bleaching incident closed that door for me forever lol.

Jessica
Jessica

I really want to go blonde, but I am DEF going to a professional… I’m curious as to what her aftercare is though.…what products does she use to ensure it stays moisturized? Or was that in the video? Am I the only one that prefers articles over videos?!

BrinkyDinks
BrinkyDinks
Reply to  Jessica

I dyed my hair blonde in August of this year (think Beyonce). Blonde hair ISN’T for those who are lazy. I have to constantly moisturise my hair. Protein is a must at every wash. Heavy protein (like Aphogee) every month. Bleach makes the hair very fragile. I’ve had to buy new products to accommodate for the color. It’s a lot of work lol

Lula
Lula

I love love your hair colour combination. Turned out really great! What about that lip colour? That’s gorgeous, brand? Details of it if you can. Its really cute on you.

me
me

My coloured hair is a lot weaker than the new growth. I almost regret doing it now (I obviously didn’t learn the first time 2 years ago). I constantly have to keep it protected and honestly can’t wait to get more growth.

PATRICIA
PATRICIA

I always did my hair at home, relaxer and colors. I have had to professional perms and discovered I do it better myself. The stylist even complimented on how healthy the condition of my hair was, and then she screwed up my hair with a bad cut. I am my own stylist now that I am natural too. I need to jazz it up a bit and wanted to know what is the best permanent color to use on natural hair. My hair grows fast and I don’t want the rainbow bright look, Just something to brighten up my drab dark… Read more »

E :)
E :)

Over the summer I wanted to dye my hair cotton candy pink. At first I was scared to use bleach but I decided the only way to get the color I wanted was to bleach, so I (well, my mom) bleached my entire head for the first time over a month ago. I used a 40 vol developer. It came out ok although the color wasn’t even. Then I put a semi-permanent pink on top of it. It was so vibrant! I loved it, but then it faded. Now I’m gonna go for lavender. :)(for those who may be concerned… Read more »

Ariel odera
Ariel odera
Reply to  E :)

What brand did you use

tbaby
tbaby

I just added color to my hair using creme of nature and used the bright blonde color. i’m indifferent. i dont know if it looks bad to other people or not, i dont want to walk around looking like a home job but .… i don’t know i’ll post a pic

lol!
lol!

It turned out great kudos to the husband helping out he’s a pro. I will try this on my hair hope it looks as lovely!