Goapele Has a TWA! + Esperanza Spalding’s Updo

Avatar • Oct 4, 2013

Goapele has been known for her locs and intricate braid styles. But now the 36-year-old songstress is rocking a gorgeous TWA! She arrived at the premiere for the movie Baggage Claim looking absolutely radiant!

essencecom-goapele-attends-the-premiere-of-fox-searchlight-pictures-baggage-claim-at-regal-cinemas-la-live-in-los-angeles-california_610x464_81

And jazz musician Esperanza Spalding also rocked a new look. We’re used to seeing her gorgeous afro, but the 28-year-old opted to pull it up into a voluminous updo for the WIE Symposium in New York City. We’re loving it!

essencecom-esperanza-spalding-attends-day-2-of-the-4th-annual-wie-symposium-at-center-548-in-new-york-city_610x464_90

Ladies, what do you think of the looks?

...
...

Off Topic…I do not support the movie Baggage Claim. Few of the black men in that movie have openly spoke out against black women or will only support a certain shade of black women. Especially with Taye Diggs whining behind. Yet they want black women to go see this movie. No. If they want support they can get it from their white women.

Back on topic…Goapele has a lovely smooth voice and beautiful smile. Esperanza Spalding is a lovely women, but never looks like she wants to be in the spot light. I think they both look gorgeous.

Nicole
Nicole
Reply to  ...

I think you’re dead on in your assessments.

Amma Mama
Reply to  ...

I wanted to see Baggage Claim just to support Terrence J because I am so proud of him post 106th and Park. However, it looks corny and I know I will sleep if it is. An $11.00-$12 ticket is too much for me to just be knocked out..lol Is it good anyone??

ANYWHO, Goapele is radiant and Esperanza looks good too. Pretty ladies 🙂

TWA4now
TWA4now
Reply to  Amma Mama

@ Amma Baggage Claim movie was just ok.…..i guess the ending in about ten minutes.…..maybe it will be a hoot on DVD. I hope you enjoy it!

merry
merry
Reply to  ...

actually, the only black woman among the actresses on the movie poster is jill scott. the rest are mixed.

CherishBomb
Reply to  ...

sounds like a wait-for-it-on-redbox sort of movie

Just Joy
Just Joy
Reply to  ...

I saw the film. It was extremely embarrassing for women as a whole and very uncomfortable to watch. Paula Patton’s character was absolutely DESPERATE for a man, and she behaved and spoke like a little whining girl the whole time. It was awful!!! I didnt pay tho, my best friend did. *I was essentially forced to go* But yea, stream it online or something.

But yes, back on topic. I love how Goapele be mixing it up!!!

twinz
twinz

I love my race my culture but one thing I dnt like is today’s black movies! They are all the same. Creativity is not there poor roles and acting skills. Now if it had some history and creativity maybe I will support.

twinz
twinz
Reply to  twinz

But I lovvve Esperanza updo I’m obessed with natural hair up dos!!!!!

Ava
Ava
Reply to  twinz

There are some good Black movies that are Direct-to-DVD releases and they are shown on Netflix. And they are really good. I wish that they would be released in the movie theaters because you would see that there are a wealth of great actors out there.

Maha
Maha

They both have GORGEOUS skin. Clear and glowy…

Tisha

Esperanza is flawless! im so happy to see her with an up-do! She has a gorgeous face with fabulous style and she doesn’t need to be sexy she’s just elegant and graceful

AnonSince87
AnonSince87

I say just go and support — many of us have gone to watch films we’re not particularly falling over for. I cant speak on what the first poster said as I’m not aware of that. But as long as the film is not derogatory, why not see it? The more we support our people and our films, maybe the more doors we open for ‘better’ films to be made.

On the topic of these ladies hair — gorg!!

breanne
breanne
Reply to  AnonSince87

That’s not quite true. It just means that the same types of films will be made because they are profitable. It’s more important that the message is made clear that black folks want to see themselves represented well, and in better films.

AnonSince87
AnonSince87
Reply to  breanne

I actually agree with what you’re saying. I guess I was just focused on the idea of supporting (again, so long as it’s not derogatory). Honestly? the film looks rubbish (lol). But it would be nice if there was a way to support these actors without it meaning only these films get made. In a perfect world, maybe? Lol

merry
merry
Reply to  AnonSince87

i’d rather support a small black smart movie than dumb crap like this.

Tracy Jones
Tracy Jones
Reply to  AnonSince87

I understand what you meant. It would be nice to support the actors and actresses if it’s not a downer…
But, unfortunately the film does look like Rubbish and I’ll be waiting to watch 12 Years a Slave…

xyzebra
xyzebra

Both look lovely and you can really see their beautiful faces with the TWA and updo. Side note, it’s so good to see women who became famous for their talent and not their instagram, twitter or skanky music videos.

monaytt
monaytt
Reply to  xyzebra

Agree 1,000%

linnie
linnie

They’re both gorgeous and look great with the new hairstyles.

kerisha
kerisha

wow there skin is glowing and so exquisite iam telling black is the new black lol.

Nubiahbella
Nubiahbella

I am more shocked by the fact Goapele is 36 lol!

She looks all kind of beautiful, I love how she’s always re-inventing herself and having fun with her hair, a few months ago she has relaxed hair, before that threaded hair etc…

Chanda
Chanda
Reply to  Nubiahbella

How do you know it was relaxed? I thought it was just straightened.

Nubiahbella
Nubiahbella
Reply to  Chanda

She said so in interview for Essence and/or Black Hair magazine ( I still read those lol)I believe and she said needing a change a bit like Jill Scott.

Fasho
Fasho
Reply to  Nubiahbella

I did not know she was 36. She looks darn good. I love her music. Esp that all of her songs are not love songs.

ayisha
ayisha

BEAUTIFUL

noire reine
noire reine

The Ladies look GORGEOUS! I saw the movie baggage claim and I thought it was a very cute romantic comedy. It did not depict us (black people/black women)in a derogatory manner. As a matter of fact, if you watched the movie with your eyes closed, with very few exceptions, you would not call this a “black” movie. It reminded me of a cute “white” romantic comedy, with the exception that the cast was mostly black. Both Taye Diggs and Terence J had a very small role. Jill Scott and Paula Patton did a fabulous job. While someone may not be… Read more »

Nappy 4C Rocks
Nappy 4C Rocks
Reply to  noire reine

@ noire reine.…I’m curious what black films out there past or present do you consider “bafoonish or “ignant”? I’m curious…Goapele TWA is STUNNING!

EG
EG
Reply to  noire reine

Actually the big picture is to let black men know that they cannot expect to make derogatory comments about black women and then turn around and expect us to support them and their non-black spouse financially.

@meekahicks
@meekahicks
Reply to  noire reine

I agree with you completely about the movie. I saw the movie it was predictable in some parts but overall it was a funny romantic movie. With a great Cast. Goapele new short do look great! And I’m in love with Esperanza updo. I’ll have to try that with my Fro.

Loving My Natural Hair
Loving My Natural Hair

Wow.. They both are absolutely stunning. And I’m sorry, Paula Patton is gorgeous but she cannot act, she is the same character in every movie she plays in, she acts exactly the same.. She has zero range as an actress but she is gorgeous. I’m torn because I love to support black movies but I want to see diversity in the leading role. I will see it though, although this blog is the first good review I’ve seen.

Tracy Jones
Tracy Jones

YES! Paula always plays this hyper neurotic character…

Diversity would be nice!

TWA4now
TWA4now

She is very beautiful and I looooove the TWA! I hope this inspires others to JUST DI IT.

BriMos
BriMos

Goapele has always been stunning, but THIS TWA makes her a true gem. She looks gorgeous! Proud to say I’m a Bay Area native 🙂