10 More Incredible Black-Owned Natural Hair Businesses to Support

• Oct 2, 2013

9. The Pomade Shop

Backstory: Aside from a brief stint during her childhood and again in her teenage years, Erma Williams-Nurse has always been natural. Pomades have always been her favorite hair product of choice, and she grew disappointed when her online searches for all-natural pomades yielded nothing. As  as result of this frustration, Erma collaborated with her husband, and The Pomade Shop was born. Although she initially started off selling only pomades, The Pomade Shop line of product offerings grew to include shampoos and conditioners at the request of customers. With her pomade-driven line of products, Erma and her husband are out to prove that pomades don’t have to be pore-clogging, mineral oil and petrolatum laden products that weigh hair down.

Benefits: All of The Pomade Shop’s offerings are cruelty free, free of mineral oil, lanolin, petrolatum, parabens, phthalates, and silicones. They are also handmade, and you can even request a special order product, customized just for you!

Best Sellers: The Pomade Shop’s best sellers include Vanilla Growth Foundations and Growth Essentials, Sweet Simplicity and Sweet Indulgence Hair Stylers, Growth Fundamentals Coffee Pomade, Cafe Au Natural Coffee Conditioner, and CeraMoist Conditioning Pomade. I personally have a sweet spot for to products in particular — the Cafe Au Natural Coffee Conditioner and Vanilla Growth Foundations Pomade (my #2 that I mentioned earlier). I could not believe the moisture that came out of that Coffee Conditioner! I almost didn’t want to use a leave-in afterwards. My other sweet spot for the Vanilla Growth Foundations Pomade is two-pronged. Not only does it make for an excellent scalp massaging product, it has definitely encouraged growth (results pics coming soon), and has slowed my psoriasis down due to the sulfur content — making it a new staple in my scalp health regimen. Seriously, when I massage in the pomade after cleansing my hair, I notice that at my scalp flaking (which happens virtually the next day when my psoriasis chooses to act up) is reduced/delayed by 75–80% which is amazing. FYI, a little bit of pomade goes a long way!

Where to Buy: All of The Pomade Shop’s products are available in their Etsy Shop. Visit www.thepomadeshop.com to check out all they have to offer!

10. Tree Naturals

Backstory: Back in 2009, Tree Naturals owner LaTresha “Tree” Sayles struggled with moisture retention during the early stages of her natural hair journey. Out of frustration with a lack of quality driven products, Tree began making her own products from scratch. As her hair became increasingly healthy, friends and family began to regularly request products — creating an intense demand. From there, Tree Naturals was born. Dedicated to giving naturals a full blown pampering and spa-like experience for hair day, Tree’s Asian-inspired hair line embodies fresh, clean, and relaxing scents.

Benefits: Tree Naturals products are made with Fair Trade butters, which is an amazing ethical step. Tree stands by her mantra of “If I won’t use it on my curls, neither will you”. Tree Naturals products are free of mineral oil, petrolatum, sulfates, silicones, parabens, and other junk. They are all hand crafted and cruelty-free.

Best Sellers: Tree Naturals best sellers include the Rice Flour & Shea Leave-In, Whipped Curl Creme, Natasha’s Growth Butter, and Green Tea & Coconut Conditioner Bar. The Rice Flour &  Shea Leave-In is simply amazing, it is creamy, has tons of slip, but doesn’t leave hair feeling weighed down or heavy. It is really an ideal product to lay the foundation for a great wash n’ go or braid-out style. I also have a soft spot for the Conditioner Bar — because I was fascinated by it. It isn’t soap-like, so it doesn’t create suds, it literally melts into your hair like a conditioner. Co-washing with a bar? I think so! There were a lot of naturalistas on the fence about using a shampoo bar, due to pH concerns (because of the base). This conditioner bar is formulated just like regular conditioner, but in bar form so there’s no worries here! For more on the bar, click here. I also took a liking to the Bamboo, Fig & Lotus Flower Deep Conditioner. It was super moisturizing, not too heavy, and left my hair feeling soft and nourished.

Where to Buy: Tree Naturals goodies are available at VIP Hair in Richmond. If you’re not lucky enough to live in Virgina, you can always purchase products at www.treenaturals.com.

Whew! This list is INTENSE! But definitely, well worth it. All 3 lists were. It has truly been an honor to work with such dynamic small business owners and their amazing brands. But now, it is time to retire the topic — at least in long feature form. Maybe in a few months, one last hurrah. For now, 27 brands should suffice. If you missed the other 17, click here and here. I’m afraid to ask (because my inner product junkie will most definitely come out), but.… what are your favorite small business brands?

About Christina Patrice

Born, raised, and living in Los Angeles, Christina is BGLH's resident transitioning expert and product junkie. In addition to loving all things hair, she is a fitness novice and advocate of wearing sandals year-round. For more information on transitioning, natural hair, and her own hair journey, visit maneobjective.com. Or, if you like pictures follow Christina on Instagram @maneobjective.

Karen
Karen

My favorite from Afroveda is their Shea Amla Whipped Butter. I haven’t tried any products from any of the other lines except for Darcy’s Botanical when everything/most things were $12 and I was very happy with what I purchased. I’ve tried some things from the other lists such as Qhemet Biologics which I’m using now and really like too, and don’t think I’ve tried from the other brands but hope to try all of the other 24 lines. Yes, I’m actually trying to be a product junkie. I still need some help with what works for my hair in addition… Read more »

nylse

i’m intrigued by the pomade shop — will have to check them out.

Caramelcurls
Caramelcurls

I love, loVE, love the Pumpkin Seed Moisturizing Conditioner by Darcy’s Botanicles! It’s one of my staples. I love how it moisturizes my hair without weighing it down and the smell is heavenly! Did I say that I love it? 😉

belle
belle

Please add Kreyol Essence to the next list!

trackback

[…] 10 More Incredible Black-Owned Natural Hair Businesses to Support | Black Girl with Long Hair. […]

Lulu
Lulu

I would love to support these businesses but it saddens me that most of all the products available have some form of protein or protein mimicking ingredient in MY hair (ex. coconut oil, aloe vera)is in them. You see the same core ingredients in natural hair products over and over again and if your hair hates them or you are allergic, you are shut out of much of the market. I just wish there was much more variety in ingredients but its nothing new in hair care. It just sucks.

I’m just venting really because I hope companies read this.

MichelleToo
MichelleToo
Reply to  Lulu

Make your own! There have got to be others out there like you. Maybe next time you will be featured!

Lulu
Lulu
Reply to  MichelleToo

Yes, I plan to in the future! Thanks! I will still be recommending these brands to others in the meantime.

CoCotheSweetOne
CoCotheSweetOne

I LOVE Tree Naturals products. Her hair, Natasha, is the only marketing she needs lol. My hair adores the Whipped Curl Creme. I get so excited when I see her table at a naturl hair event because I get to stock up! And the fact that she is a sweetheart is definitely a plus.

Tiff E.
Tiff E.

Suprised that Oyin Handmade and Camille Rose Naturals didn’t make the list. Amazing products from both!!!

Black Girl With Long Hair
Black Girl With Long Hair
Reply to  Tiff E.

They are mentioned in part 1 and 2 of this series 🙂

Tina Beanie

I love, love Darcy’s products! Plus, she has amazing customer service and her packages were received wonderfully packaged (and extra touch I loved). I will have to try the pumpkin seed moisturizing conditioner. It’s the perfect season for it.

luvnM3napturally
luvnM3napturally

Afroveda is like noursihment for your hair. Oyin Handmade is another treat as well. My third choice would be B.A.S.K.

Bianca
Bianca

I love Crystal’s Royal Secrets. Their Sheep Sorrel ointment is the truth!The Herbal Hair Rejuvenater is so very moisturizing.…

BlackIsIndeedBeautiful
BlackIsIndeedBeautiful

did I miss Karen’s Body Beautiful?

Shirley Kirby
Shirley Kirby

I recommend doing further research on Hairitage Hdration. Customer service, unsanitary working conditions, and product quality/consistency is an issue. Also she uses a formaldehyde as a preservative. Check out Curly Nikki and Long Hair Care Forum, hundreds of posts by unhappy customers.

Claudette
Claudette

Please be warned about Hairitage Hydration!!!!!! Unsanitary work areas , no consistency in products and separation or products due to free hand measuring products. Owner is completely unprofessional in every possible way. Shipping taking up to 43 days if not longer.

Bej
Bej

Consigning on buyer beware with hairatagehydration.com. Poor customer service, extremely unprofessional, unsanitary conditions, and no set system for product constitution. Extreeeeemmmmeelllyyy slow service.

Roberto
Reply to  Bej

Awesome web site. All your posts are actually btraully genuine as well as to the point. You don’t spend your time on common arguments. I won’t just about any reply have, but, thanks, and consequently gratitude.

beatrice john
beatrice john

Great list and I like Afroveda. Also check out Jakeala on etsy, that deep hair conditioner and chocolate shampoo bar is the BOMB!

trackback

[…] the word about great natural hair small businesses. Many of them have been featured on my blog, and here on BGLH. In truth, this personal movement began after I wrote an article in which I researched many relaxer […]

trackback

trackback

[…] word about great natural hair small businesses. Many of them have been featured on my blog, and here on BGLH. In truth, this personal movement began after I wrote an article in which I researched […]

trackback

[…] a result of more women wearing their hair in it’s natural state, many woman-owned and/or black businesses that cater to natural hair care have emerged . If you’re a woman who wears hair pieces, […]

Kala
Kala

Do you know if just natural skin care is black owned?

Ada
Ada
Reply to  Kala

there are more check out this page/link. you will find anything business by black people in USA,also in the comment section. http://www.afrobella.com/2014/11/26/101-independent-black-owned-businesses-support-blackout-friday/

Caroline
Caroline

http://www.NaturalStyleByFUBU surprisingly Great product line for men and women…

Coilsaplenty
Coilsaplenty

I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to add that Curluxe Naturals is a new line that I believe is black owned. There items are AMAZING! I just received a sample order from them based off of a youtube review. http://curluxenaturals.com/

Yes, Really
Yes, Really

More black owned beauty supply stores too please!

sanjidude
sanjidude

I like Karen’s Body Beautiful products but the ordering process and customer service is like going back to the stone age.

Al Calice
Al Calice

Hi everyone” I am Al trying to venture into the natural hair selling business. I need your professional advise on, what type of hair is more preferable in the market?

rose
rose
Reply to  Al Calice

I would suggest marketing to all hair types. That way, you reach a wider audience and bring in more money. Or, if you’re fuzzy about what is acceptable in the natural movement, I would try it safe for maybe the first couple years and sell products that are essential and nourishing for ALL natural hair. You can stock items such as oils (peppermint, avocado, coconut oil), stock glycerin, wide tooth combs, spray bottles, plastic caps, safe heating caps for deep conditioning, or maybe even partner up with other natural hair care business.