10 More Incredible Black-Owned Natural Hair Businesses to Support

Avatar • Oct 2, 2013

7. Pura Body Naturals

Backstory: Inspired by friends who would travel to South America and beyond, returning with exotic butters and oils typically not available in the United States, Pura Body Naturals founder Santeyonne Powell set out to combine her DIY spirit and indigenous Amazon culture. Finding that most moisturizing and nourishing products for natural hair were based in shea butter, Powell set out to create a line of products with those who shea butter doesn’t work for in mind. All Pura Body Naturals products are based in ingredients found in the Amazon Rainforest, with a wealth of natural and bio-active resources ideal for health, hair, and beauty. Founded on beauty traditions from Amazon natives, Pura Body Naturals was born.

Benefits: For those that can’t stand the smell of shea butter, or your hair just does not agree, the Pura Body Naturals line is for you. All of the products are non-shea butter based, meaning they are filled with the likes of Cupuacu Butter, MururMuru Butter, Tacuma Butter, and Sapote Oil. In addition, all Pura Body Naturals products are free of silicones, mineral oils, parabens, petrolatum, and sulfates. And of course, their products are cruelty-free.

Best Sellers: Pura Body Naturals best sellers include the Cupuacu Hair Butter, Sapote Hair Lotion, MuruMuru Moisture Milk, and Chocolate Hair Smoothie. Ok, it’s confession time. Get over here… I LOVE the Sapote Hair Lotion!!!! It is the truth. La verdad. Ukweli. die Wahrheit. Okay, I went to Google Translate for that last one, but I think you get the point. This lotion strikes the perfect balance of a moisturizing punch without weighing hair down. It makes me happy. I might write it a poem (what rhymes with Sapote?). In all seriousness, it is simply divine. The Chocolate Hair Smoothie is another goodie — not because it smells like chocolate deliciousness, but because it also leaves hair incredibly soft, smooth, and shiny. A win-win in my book!

Where to Buy: Pura Body Naturals is available in two US retail locations  — in Atlanta and Raleigh. The rest of us can order online at www.purabodynaturals.com.

8. Shescentit

Backstory: When Shescentit founder Nadia Ayo was looking for products to care for her hair in stores, she had an all too common experience: discovering she was allergic to many of the harmful and synthetic ingredients many of the products contained. At the time, not too many natural alternatives were available — which led to the creation of the Shescentit natural care line for beautiful hair. The Shescentit line of products is inspired by wholesome, natural ingredients that have proven benefits for hair of all textures.

Benefits: Shescentit products handcrafted from scratch in small batches to ensure freshness, and maintain oversight into exactly what ingredients are included in products. All products in the Shescentit line are free of parabens, mineral oil, petrolatum, SLS, DEA, and phthalates. They are also cruelty-free.

Best Sellers: Shescentit has a ton of product offerings that all sound equally delicious and interesting. Their best sellers include the Avocado Conditioner, Banana Brulee Moisturizing Deep Conditioner, Moisture Mist Leave-In, Riche Moisture Masque, Seyani Hair Butter, Coco Creme Leave-In Conditioner, Okra Reconstructor, and Coconut Sorbet. I have personally developed a love affair with the Avocado Conditioner, Riche Moisture Masque, Coco Creme Leave-In, and Macadamia Fixing Gel. The Avocado Conditioner is super moisturizing, and has great slip, making it an awesome in-shower detangling conditioner. The Riche Moisture Masque is simply decadent, and packed full of amazing ingredients. The Coco Creme Leave-In and and Macadamia Fixing Gel are a wash n’ go match made in heaven. I also really like the Okra Reconstructor but because it is a protein treatment, I can only use it once a month or so. Come on, how cool is it for a product to contain okra?

Where to Buy: Shescentit products are available in a few retail locations — click here to see if there is a retailer near you. But if you’re not lucky enough to have Shescentit on tap, you can always order online at www.shescentit.com!

About Christina Patrice

Born, raised, and living in Los Angeles, Christina is BGLH's resident transitioning expert and product junkie. In addition to loving all things hair, she is a fitness novice and advocate of wearing sandals year-round. For more information on transitioning, natural hair, and her own hair journey, visit maneobjective.com. Or, if you like pictures follow Christina on Instagram @maneobjective.

Karen
Karen

My favorite from Afroveda is their Shea Amla Whipped Butter. I haven’t tried any products from any of the other lines except for Darcy’s Botanical when everything/most things were $12 and I was very happy with what I purchased. I’ve tried some things from the other lists such as Qhemet Biologics which I’m using now and really like too, and don’t think I’ve tried from the other brands but hope to try all of the other 24 lines. Yes, I’m actually trying to be a product junkie. I still need some help with what works for my hair in addition… Read more »

nylse

i’m intrigued by the pomade shop — will have to check them out.

Caramelcurls
Caramelcurls

I love, loVE, love the Pumpkin Seed Moisturizing Conditioner by Darcy’s Botanicles! It’s one of my staples. I love how it moisturizes my hair without weighing it down and the smell is heavenly! Did I say that I love it? 😉

belle
belle

Please add Kreyol Essence to the next list!

trackback

[…] 10 More Incredible Black-Owned Natural Hair Businesses to Support | Black Girl with Long Hair. […]

Lulu
Lulu

I would love to support these businesses but it saddens me that most of all the products available have some form of protein or protein mimicking ingredient in MY hair (ex. coconut oil, aloe vera)is in them. You see the same core ingredients in natural hair products over and over again and if your hair hates them or you are allergic, you are shut out of much of the market. I just wish there was much more variety in ingredients but its nothing new in hair care. It just sucks.

I’m just venting really because I hope companies read this.

MichelleToo
MichelleToo
Reply to  Lulu

Make your own! There have got to be others out there like you. Maybe next time you will be featured!

Lulu
Lulu
Reply to  MichelleToo

Yes, I plan to in the future! Thanks! I will still be recommending these brands to others in the meantime.

CoCotheSweetOne
CoCotheSweetOne

I LOVE Tree Naturals products. Her hair, Natasha, is the only marketing she needs lol. My hair adores the Whipped Curl Creme. I get so excited when I see her table at a naturl hair event because I get to stock up! And the fact that she is a sweetheart is definitely a plus.

Tiff E.
Tiff E.

Suprised that Oyin Handmade and Camille Rose Naturals didn’t make the list. Amazing products from both!!!

Black Girl With Long Hair
Reply to  Tiff E.

They are mentioned in part 1 and 2 of this series 🙂

Tina Beanie

I love, love Darcy’s products! Plus, she has amazing customer service and her packages were received wonderfully packaged (and extra touch I loved). I will have to try the pumpkin seed moisturizing conditioner. It’s the perfect season for it.

luvnM3napturally
luvnM3napturally

Afroveda is like noursihment for your hair. Oyin Handmade is another treat as well. My third choice would be B.A.S.K.

Bianca
Bianca

I love Crystal’s Royal Secrets. Their Sheep Sorrel ointment is the truth!The Herbal Hair Rejuvenater is so very moisturizing.…

BlackIsIndeedBeautiful
BlackIsIndeedBeautiful

did I miss Karen’s Body Beautiful?

Shirley Kirby
Shirley Kirby

I recommend doing further research on Hairitage Hdration. Customer service, unsanitary working conditions, and product quality/consistency is an issue. Also she uses a formaldehyde as a preservative. Check out Curly Nikki and Long Hair Care Forum, hundreds of posts by unhappy customers.

Claudette
Claudette

Please be warned about Hairitage Hydration!!!!!! Unsanitary work areas , no consistency in products and separation or products due to free hand measuring products. Owner is completely unprofessional in every possible way. Shipping taking up to 43 days if not longer.

Bej
Bej

Consigning on buyer beware with hairatagehydration.com. Poor customer service, extremely unprofessional, unsanitary conditions, and no set system for product constitution. Extreeeeemmmmeelllyyy slow service.

Roberto
Reply to  Bej

Awesome web site. All your posts are actually btraully genuine as well as to the point. You don’t spend your time on common arguments. I won’t just about any reply have, but, thanks, and consequently gratitude.

beatrice john
beatrice john

Great list and I like Afroveda. Also check out Jakeala on etsy, that deep hair conditioner and chocolate shampoo bar is the BOMB!

trackback

[…] the word about great natural hair small businesses. Many of them have been featured on my blog, and here on BGLH. In truth, this personal movement began after I wrote an article in which I researched many relaxer […]

trackback

trackback

[…] word about great natural hair small businesses. Many of them have been featured on my blog, and here on BGLH. In truth, this personal movement began after I wrote an article in which I researched […]

trackback

[…] a result of more women wearing their hair in it’s natural state, many woman-owned and/or black businesses that cater to natural hair care have emerged . If you’re a woman who wears hair pieces, […]

Kala
Kala

Do you know if just natural skin care is black owned?

Ada
Ada
Reply to  Kala

there are more check out this page/link. you will find anything business by black people in USA,also in the comment section. http://www.afrobella.com/2014/11/26/101-independent-black-owned-businesses-support-blackout-friday/

Caroline
Caroline

http://www.NaturalStyleByFUBU surprisingly Great product line for men and women…

Coilsaplenty
Coilsaplenty

I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to add that Curluxe Naturals is a new line that I believe is black owned. There items are AMAZING! I just received a sample order from them based off of a youtube review. http://curluxenaturals.com/

Yes, Really
Yes, Really

More black owned beauty supply stores too please!

sanjidude
sanjidude

I like Karen’s Body Beautiful products but the ordering process and customer service is like going back to the stone age.

Al Calice
Al Calice

Hi everyone” I am Al trying to venture into the natural hair selling business. I need your professional advise on, what type of hair is more preferable in the market?

rose
rose
Reply to  Al Calice

I would suggest marketing to all hair types. That way, you reach a wider audience and bring in more money. Or, if you’re fuzzy about what is acceptable in the natural movement, I would try it safe for maybe the first couple years and sell products that are essential and nourishing for ALL natural hair. You can stock items such as oils (peppermint, avocado, coconut oil), stock glycerin, wide tooth combs, spray bottles, plastic caps, safe heating caps for deep conditioning, or maybe even partner up with other natural hair care business.