10 More Incredible Black-Owned Natural Hair Businesses to Support

Avatar • Oct 2, 2013

5. HoneyChile HairLove

Backstory: Back in 2010, extreme breakage from a bad relaxer and dye job forced HoneyChile HairLove founder Tazia Armstead to big chop her hair and start fresh. With this new start, Tazia learned how to embace, manage, moisturize, nourish, and promote growth with her own hair. In 2011, she set out to support women in pursuit of embracing their kinky, coily, curly, wavy, afro-textured and loc’d hair with a line of products designed to hydrate, pH balance, and strengthen hair. Out of this vision, HoneyChile HairLove was born.

Benefits: All of HoneyChile HairLove’s products are handmade, ensuring quality and freshness. They do not contain petrolatum, mineral oil, silicones, glycols, paraffin, parabens, fillers, and sulfates. They are cruelty-free and do not contain any harmful chemicals. Because of this, all HoneyChile HairLove products are safe for children.

Best Sellers: On HoneyChile HairLove’s hot list are the Avocado Truffle Hair Milk, Lushcurl Custard, and Curl Glaze. Due to a shipping mishap, I was unable to test drive the HoneyChile HairLove products before this article went to publishing. But I will definitely update it once I have tried everything out!

Where to Buy: HoneyChile HairLove has two US retail locations, and four internationally. Click here to see if you’re a part of the lucky six. But if you’re like me and can’t get your hands on any in-store, you can always order online at www.honeychilehairlove.com!

6. Komaza Hair Care

Backstory: Komaza Hair Care founder Rene Lesane has always had a scientific fascination with hair. As early as 18, she began to study hair — from structure to cellular division. She used this knowledge to help her friends and family care for their hair. Stricken with Ulcerative Colitis in her 20’s, Rene’s body was unable to properly absorb the nutrients needed to make her hair grow healthily, and a relaxer only made it worse. After a disaster with beauty supply store products, she decided she would be better off putting her previously gained knowledge to use. As her hair began to thrive, the inquiries and request to purchase products came in. Rene teamed up with long-time friend Jennifer, to develop a Christian-based business founded on the notion of komaza, which in Swahili means to “encourage growth”.

Benefits: All Komaza Hair Care products are tested and analyzed in their in-house laboratory using high-powered microscopes. This way, they are able to understand and assess the quality and effectiveness of all products. They also make use of third-party laboratories to confirm the results. Every ingredient used in Komaza Hair Care products is scientifically researched and demonstrates proven effectiveness. Depending upon hair type and need, the Komaza Hair Care lines differ. In the Matani Line (for relaxed and heat treated hair), silicones are included for protection purposes. Some products do contain wheat proteins and silk amino acids, while others do not and are gluten-free and vegan. All Komaza Hair Care products are free of parabens, petrolatum, mineral oil, lanolin, propylene glycol, and phthalates. All products are cruelty free as well. Komaza also offers a hair and scalp analysis service, which can give you insight into hair care  and product solutions for any hair/scalp challenges.

Best Sellers: Komaza Hair Care has tons of product offerings. On their best sellers list are: Coconut Hair Pudding, Califia Care Leave-In, Califia Care Moisture Spray, Califia Moisturizing Cream, Protein Hair Strengthener, Olive Moisture Mask, Shea Butter Hair Lotion, Aloe My Hair Leave-In, and the Hair Lengthening Serum. I really, really, like, really love the Protein Hair Strengthener. I like to think of Komaza Hair Care as the ApHogee for Natural Hair. The Protein Hair Strengthener spread in my hair easily, and I noticed increased strength after just one use — seriously. It didn’t leave my hair hard feeling or dry, which is amazing for such a protein-heavy product. My next mission is to try out the Aloe My Hair Leave-In.…my hair loves anything aloe-based.

Where to Buy: Komaza Hair Care is available in select retailers nationwide and internationally. You can always order online at www.komazahaircare.com.

About Christina Patrice

Born, raised, and living in Los Angeles, Christina is BGLH's resident transitioning expert and product junkie. In addition to loving all things hair, she is a fitness novice and advocate of wearing sandals year-round. For more information on transitioning, natural hair, and her own hair journey, visit maneobjective.com. Or, if you like pictures follow Christina on Instagram @maneobjective.

Karen
Karen

My favorite from Afroveda is their Shea Amla Whipped Butter. I haven’t tried any products from any of the other lines except for Darcy’s Botanical when everything/most things were $12 and I was very happy with what I purchased. I’ve tried some things from the other lists such as Qhemet Biologics which I’m using now and really like too, and don’t think I’ve tried from the other brands but hope to try all of the other 24 lines. Yes, I’m actually trying to be a product junkie. I still need some help with what works for my hair in addition… Read more »

nylse

i’m intrigued by the pomade shop — will have to check them out.

Caramelcurls
Caramelcurls

I love, loVE, love the Pumpkin Seed Moisturizing Conditioner by Darcy’s Botanicles! It’s one of my staples. I love how it moisturizes my hair without weighing it down and the smell is heavenly! Did I say that I love it? 😉

belle
belle

Please add Kreyol Essence to the next list!

trackback

[…] 10 More Incredible Black-Owned Natural Hair Businesses to Support | Black Girl with Long Hair. […]

Lulu
Lulu

I would love to support these businesses but it saddens me that most of all the products available have some form of protein or protein mimicking ingredient in MY hair (ex. coconut oil, aloe vera)is in them. You see the same core ingredients in natural hair products over and over again and if your hair hates them or you are allergic, you are shut out of much of the market. I just wish there was much more variety in ingredients but its nothing new in hair care. It just sucks.

I’m just venting really because I hope companies read this.

MichelleToo
MichelleToo
Reply to  Lulu

Make your own! There have got to be others out there like you. Maybe next time you will be featured!

Lulu
Lulu
Reply to  MichelleToo

Yes, I plan to in the future! Thanks! I will still be recommending these brands to others in the meantime.

CoCotheSweetOne
CoCotheSweetOne

I LOVE Tree Naturals products. Her hair, Natasha, is the only marketing she needs lol. My hair adores the Whipped Curl Creme. I get so excited when I see her table at a naturl hair event because I get to stock up! And the fact that she is a sweetheart is definitely a plus.

Tiff E.
Tiff E.

Suprised that Oyin Handmade and Camille Rose Naturals didn’t make the list. Amazing products from both!!!

Black Girl With Long Hair
Reply to  Tiff E.

They are mentioned in part 1 and 2 of this series 🙂

Tina Beanie

I love, love Darcy’s products! Plus, she has amazing customer service and her packages were received wonderfully packaged (and extra touch I loved). I will have to try the pumpkin seed moisturizing conditioner. It’s the perfect season for it.

luvnM3napturally
luvnM3napturally

Afroveda is like noursihment for your hair. Oyin Handmade is another treat as well. My third choice would be B.A.S.K.

Bianca
Bianca

I love Crystal’s Royal Secrets. Their Sheep Sorrel ointment is the truth!The Herbal Hair Rejuvenater is so very moisturizing.…

BlackIsIndeedBeautiful
BlackIsIndeedBeautiful

did I miss Karen’s Body Beautiful?

Shirley Kirby
Shirley Kirby

I recommend doing further research on Hairitage Hdration. Customer service, unsanitary working conditions, and product quality/consistency is an issue. Also she uses a formaldehyde as a preservative. Check out Curly Nikki and Long Hair Care Forum, hundreds of posts by unhappy customers.

Claudette
Claudette

Please be warned about Hairitage Hydration!!!!!! Unsanitary work areas , no consistency in products and separation or products due to free hand measuring products. Owner is completely unprofessional in every possible way. Shipping taking up to 43 days if not longer.

Bej
Bej

Consigning on buyer beware with hairatagehydration.com. Poor customer service, extremely unprofessional, unsanitary conditions, and no set system for product constitution. Extreeeeemmmmeelllyyy slow service.

Roberto
Reply to  Bej

Awesome web site. All your posts are actually btraully genuine as well as to the point. You don’t spend your time on common arguments. I won’t just about any reply have, but, thanks, and consequently gratitude.

beatrice john
beatrice john

Great list and I like Afroveda. Also check out Jakeala on etsy, that deep hair conditioner and chocolate shampoo bar is the BOMB!

trackback

[…] the word about great natural hair small businesses. Many of them have been featured on my blog, and here on BGLH. In truth, this personal movement began after I wrote an article in which I researched many relaxer […]

trackback

trackback

[…] word about great natural hair small businesses. Many of them have been featured on my blog, and here on BGLH. In truth, this personal movement began after I wrote an article in which I researched […]

trackback

[…] a result of more women wearing their hair in it’s natural state, many woman-owned and/or black businesses that cater to natural hair care have emerged . If you’re a woman who wears hair pieces, […]

Kala
Kala

Do you know if just natural skin care is black owned?

Ada
Ada
Reply to  Kala

there are more check out this page/link. you will find anything business by black people in USA,also in the comment section. http://www.afrobella.com/2014/11/26/101-independent-black-owned-businesses-support-blackout-friday/

Caroline
Caroline

http://www.NaturalStyleByFUBU surprisingly Great product line for men and women…

Coilsaplenty
Coilsaplenty

I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to add that Curluxe Naturals is a new line that I believe is black owned. There items are AMAZING! I just received a sample order from them based off of a youtube review. http://curluxenaturals.com/

Yes, Really
Yes, Really

More black owned beauty supply stores too please!

sanjidude
sanjidude

I like Karen’s Body Beautiful products but the ordering process and customer service is like going back to the stone age.

Al Calice
Al Calice

Hi everyone” I am Al trying to venture into the natural hair selling business. I need your professional advise on, what type of hair is more preferable in the market?

rose
rose
Reply to  Al Calice

I would suggest marketing to all hair types. That way, you reach a wider audience and bring in more money. Or, if you’re fuzzy about what is acceptable in the natural movement, I would try it safe for maybe the first couple years and sell products that are essential and nourishing for ALL natural hair. You can stock items such as oils (peppermint, avocado, coconut oil), stock glycerin, wide tooth combs, spray bottles, plastic caps, safe heating caps for deep conditioning, or maybe even partner up with other natural hair care business.