10 More Incredible Black-Owned Natural Hair Businesses to Support

• Oct 2, 2013

3. Darcy’s Botanicals

Backstory: Eleven years ago, Lysandra Taylor gave birth to a beautiful baby girl named Darcy. By the time Darcy was three, Lysandra had began to embrace her own natural hair and lifestyle, and embarked on the challenge of mixing and creating healthy hair care products without harmful chemicals. Her hobby soon became her passion, and with support from her family, the Darcy’s Botanicals line of products was born.

Benefits: All of Darcy’s Botanicals products are natural/naturally derived and free of silicones, mineral oil, petrolatum, artificial colors, phthalates, parabens, and DEA. They area also handcrafted, ensuring that only the highest quality and effective ingredients go inside each bottle and jar.

Best Sellers: Darcy’s Botanicals best sellers are the Madagascar Vanilla Styling Butter and Pumpkin Seed Curl Moisturizng Conditioner. I personally love love LOVE the Pumpkin Seed Conditioner and the Natural Coils Curling Jelly. Although it lacks the word “deep” on the bottle, the Pumpkin Seed Conditioner can in my opinion, hang with the best of the best deep conditioners. Seriously. It is super moisturizing, and has just enough slip to make shower detangling a breeze while leaving hair unbelievably buttery soft. After conditioning with the Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, I can’t stop touching my hair (or sniffing the bottle…it smells like delicious pumpkin pie spices). The Curling Jelly, though? Wash n’ go killa. Super defined, shiny, and touchable hair is definitely on the menu with this product — and it lasts for days! I’ll definitely be keeping this one in rotation! As a special shout-out to transitioners (especially 9 months or less in the game with a substantial amount of relaxed/heat damaged ends remaining), I highly recommend the Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme. It is specifically formulated to moisturize new growth, while not weighing down relaxed or straightened ends. Definitely check it out!

Where to Buy: Darcy’s Botanicals goodies are available on Amazon.com and at a number of brick-and-mortar and online retail stores. Click here to see if one is near you. You can also purchase goodies directly at www.darcysbotanicals.com.

4. Hairitage Hydration

Backstory: Inspired by nature, life, music, and love, Hairitage Hydration founder and creator Sheena Crawford set out to solve one major problem with her line: dry hair. Frustrated with the lack of hydration and moisture her own locs received with traditional products, Crawford embarked on the journey of creating Hairitage Hydration — a line of natural product offerings designed to water hair like a plant so that it is nourished, healthy, and growing.

Benefits:The majority of Hairitage Hydration products are vegan, with the exception of the Oh Honey Shampoo Bar (which contains goat milk). Some products do contain gluten (wheat germ oil, oat oil, wheat protein) as well. However, all of Hairitage Hydration’s products are free of petrolatum, mineral oil, silicones, glycols, paraffin, parabens, sulfates, and artificial colors.

Best Sellers: Soft Coconut Marshmallows is the lead seller, followed by Jar of Joe, Castor Infusion, Sprout, and the Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo Bar. I must say, all of the Hairitage Hydration products I received are the TRUTH! Soft Coconut Marshmallows is an amazing detangler and leave-in. I absolutely adore the Pink Lemon Berry Mimosa as a mid-week moisturizer (plus the fragrance is yummy). You already know how I feel about the ACV Shampoo Bar, but can I stop for a minute and talk about this Jar of Joe? I mean seriously, it smells like an amazing cup of coffee. The scent alone is invigorating — but I looooove this stuff for a scalp rub. It’s one of two scalp massage products I’m crushing on (more on #2 later), and absolutely perfect for a stimulating massage with a product that won’t weigh hair down. Plus, it provides tremendous scalp relief. I’m not 100% sure why yet, but I experience some relief from my scalp psoriasis when I massage with Jar of Joe and let it sit for about 20 minutes while I detangle and pre-poo my hair. Definitely going in the scalp health arsenal.

Where to Buy: Hairitage Hydration products are available in Loc Mamas salon in Decatur, Georgia. If you’re far away (like me), order online at www.hairitagehydration.com.

About Christina Patrice

Born, raised, and living in Los Angeles, Christina is BGLH's resident transitioning expert and product junkie. In addition to loving all things hair, she is a fitness novice and advocate of wearing sandals year-round. For more information on transitioning, natural hair, and her own hair journey, visit maneobjective.com. Or, if you like pictures follow Christina on Instagram @maneobjective.

Karen
Karen

My favorite from Afroveda is their Shea Amla Whipped Butter. I haven’t tried any products from any of the other lines except for Darcy’s Botanical when everything/most things were $12 and I was very happy with what I purchased. I’ve tried some things from the other lists such as Qhemet Biologics which I’m using now and really like too, and don’t think I’ve tried from the other brands but hope to try all of the other 24 lines. Yes, I’m actually trying to be a product junkie. I still need some help with what works for my hair in addition… Read more »

nylse

i’m intrigued by the pomade shop — will have to check them out.

Caramelcurls
Caramelcurls

I love, loVE, love the Pumpkin Seed Moisturizing Conditioner by Darcy’s Botanicles! It’s one of my staples. I love how it moisturizes my hair without weighing it down and the smell is heavenly! Did I say that I love it? 😉

belle
belle

Please add Kreyol Essence to the next list!

trackback

[…] 10 More Incredible Black-Owned Natural Hair Businesses to Support | Black Girl with Long Hair. […]

Lulu
Lulu

I would love to support these businesses but it saddens me that most of all the products available have some form of protein or protein mimicking ingredient in MY hair (ex. coconut oil, aloe vera)is in them. You see the same core ingredients in natural hair products over and over again and if your hair hates them or you are allergic, you are shut out of much of the market. I just wish there was much more variety in ingredients but its nothing new in hair care. It just sucks.

I’m just venting really because I hope companies read this.

MichelleToo
MichelleToo
Reply to  Lulu

Make your own! There have got to be others out there like you. Maybe next time you will be featured!

Lulu
Lulu
Reply to  MichelleToo

Yes, I plan to in the future! Thanks! I will still be recommending these brands to others in the meantime.

CoCotheSweetOne
CoCotheSweetOne

I LOVE Tree Naturals products. Her hair, Natasha, is the only marketing she needs lol. My hair adores the Whipped Curl Creme. I get so excited when I see her table at a naturl hair event because I get to stock up! And the fact that she is a sweetheart is definitely a plus.

Tiff E.
Tiff E.

Suprised that Oyin Handmade and Camille Rose Naturals didn’t make the list. Amazing products from both!!!

Black Girl With Long Hair
Black Girl With Long Hair
Reply to  Tiff E.

They are mentioned in part 1 and 2 of this series 🙂

Tina Beanie

I love, love Darcy’s products! Plus, she has amazing customer service and her packages were received wonderfully packaged (and extra touch I loved). I will have to try the pumpkin seed moisturizing conditioner. It’s the perfect season for it.

luvnM3napturally
luvnM3napturally

Afroveda is like noursihment for your hair. Oyin Handmade is another treat as well. My third choice would be B.A.S.K.

Bianca
Bianca

I love Crystal’s Royal Secrets. Their Sheep Sorrel ointment is the truth!The Herbal Hair Rejuvenater is so very moisturizing.…

BlackIsIndeedBeautiful
BlackIsIndeedBeautiful

did I miss Karen’s Body Beautiful?

Shirley Kirby
Shirley Kirby

I recommend doing further research on Hairitage Hdration. Customer service, unsanitary working conditions, and product quality/consistency is an issue. Also she uses a formaldehyde as a preservative. Check out Curly Nikki and Long Hair Care Forum, hundreds of posts by unhappy customers.

Claudette
Claudette

Please be warned about Hairitage Hydration!!!!!! Unsanitary work areas , no consistency in products and separation or products due to free hand measuring products. Owner is completely unprofessional in every possible way. Shipping taking up to 43 days if not longer.

Bej
Bej

Consigning on buyer beware with hairatagehydration.com. Poor customer service, extremely unprofessional, unsanitary conditions, and no set system for product constitution. Extreeeeemmmmeelllyyy slow service.

Roberto
Reply to  Bej

Awesome web site. All your posts are actually btraully genuine as well as to the point. You don’t spend your time on common arguments. I won’t just about any reply have, but, thanks, and consequently gratitude.

beatrice john
beatrice john

Great list and I like Afroveda. Also check out Jakeala on etsy, that deep hair conditioner and chocolate shampoo bar is the BOMB!

trackback

[…] the word about great natural hair small businesses. Many of them have been featured on my blog, and here on BGLH. In truth, this personal movement began after I wrote an article in which I researched many relaxer […]

trackback

trackback

[…] word about great natural hair small businesses. Many of them have been featured on my blog, and here on BGLH. In truth, this personal movement began after I wrote an article in which I researched […]

trackback

[…] a result of more women wearing their hair in it’s natural state, many woman-owned and/or black businesses that cater to natural hair care have emerged . If you’re a woman who wears hair pieces, […]

Kala
Kala

Do you know if just natural skin care is black owned?

Ada
Ada
Reply to  Kala

there are more check out this page/link. you will find anything business by black people in USA,also in the comment section. http://www.afrobella.com/2014/11/26/101-independent-black-owned-businesses-support-blackout-friday/

Caroline
Caroline

http://www.NaturalStyleByFUBU surprisingly Great product line for men and women…

Coilsaplenty
Coilsaplenty

I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to add that Curluxe Naturals is a new line that I believe is black owned. There items are AMAZING! I just received a sample order from them based off of a youtube review. http://curluxenaturals.com/

Yes, Really
Yes, Really

More black owned beauty supply stores too please!

sanjidude
sanjidude

I like Karen’s Body Beautiful products but the ordering process and customer service is like going back to the stone age.

Al Calice
Al Calice

Hi everyone” I am Al trying to venture into the natural hair selling business. I need your professional advise on, what type of hair is more preferable in the market?

rose
rose
Reply to  Al Calice

I would suggest marketing to all hair types. That way, you reach a wider audience and bring in more money. Or, if you’re fuzzy about what is acceptable in the natural movement, I would try it safe for maybe the first couple years and sell products that are essential and nourishing for ALL natural hair. You can stock items such as oils (peppermint, avocado, coconut oil), stock glycerin, wide tooth combs, spray bottles, plastic caps, safe heating caps for deep conditioning, or maybe even partner up with other natural hair care business.