Kristel // Natural Hair Bride

Avatar • Sep 5, 2013

Bruiloft Kristel & Rashleigh-245

When did you and your husband meet?
K:
My husband and I met when I just started at the Academy of Art in Utrecht in 2001. There I was going to follow the recently new program Design for Virtual Theatre Games (DVTG). Before school started I went to check it out with my parents and little brother and sister. My parents and little brother spotted him in the schoolyard trying to breakdance with his friends. He noticed me, but I didn’t notice him because I was so excited about being in my new school.

The next time I saw him it was during introduction camp. I went with the wrong group from another program to the wrong camp. So I arrived a lot later than my DVTG group, at the correct location. Embarrassing! There we really met. There was an immediate click between us. 2 weeks later we were boyfriend and girlfriend.

When did you get married?
K:
The 1st of June 2013, Beeckestijn Estate, Velsen South (The Netherlands).

How was your big day?
K:
Amazing, Lovely and Wonderful! 🙂 The whole month of May it was raining, so we were afraid that it would rain on our day. But it was dry and later on in the day the sun broke through the clouds. We had a family wedding on the Beeckestijn Estate: A beautiful land house with French and English gardens. We rented the carriage house on the property for the whole day because we didn’t want our guests to travel between a ceremony and a reception location. The ceremony started at 3 o’clock and after that we held a toast in the French garden beside the pond. My father in law is an Englishman, so he and his daughter organised a high tea for our guests. Then we had group pictures in front of the land house and went for a walk during our romantic photo shoot.

Bruiloft Kristel & Rashleigh xtra-405

For dinner we had an Indonesian buffet because Rashleigh’s mother and family are from Jakarta. After the first dance the DJ started the party with a Kanye West song. We had Surinam snacks to represent my roots. At the end of the evening we let loose balloons in the air. It was a fun and relaxing day. Family and friends worked together so that we could stay on schedule and that made them even closer. There was a lot of laughter and dancing. Love was definitely in the air!

How did you wear your hair?
K:
I wore it loose, long with some curls in my hair. On my head I had a flower crown with a long veil. During the day it got more and more puffy because of the humidity, but I was so happy I didn’t care!

What was your process of deciding how to style you hair?
K:
I used a hair straightener (comb), because I didn´t want my big hair to block other people in the photos. After I straightened it I did big 2 strand twists in my hair because I didn’t want my hair too straight.

How did your family/husband/guests receive your hair at the wedding?
K:
They really liked it.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
K:
www.aineko.nl
www.facebook.com/vjaineko
www.pinterest.com/aineko/kristels-fro-fashion/

About Meosha

sky
sky

Simply Beautiful.

Suzan, UK
Suzan, UK

Congratulations.…

Nature Girl
Nature Girl

Beautiful wedding/hair and I love the bride/groom cake.

tracy
tracy

Her hair is everything.

K
K

Love the photo spread and love her hair. The story was very sweet and she looked amazing in her dress! Congrats!

Nubiahbella
Nubiahbella

The Bride and Groom can bust some moves lol.

They look beautiful, the bride is so damn gorgeous and so is her hair ( the shine is amazing)!

It’s too cute how her parents are shedding some tears.

Skyler
Skyler

Omygoodness, to experience a love like this is only something God could have created. Congrats you two!

jessi
jessi

Whoa!!!! This wedding was super beautiful!!! I loved the article, the pictures everything.

Marra Joelle
Marra Joelle

ok so obviously the hair is gorge but ummmmmm… how do i put this? Her daddy is kind of fine lol

Black Girl With Long Hair
Reply to  Marra Joelle

LOL!!!!

keisha
keisha

beautiful bride and couple! looks like yall had a ball!! LOVE LOVE LOVE your pininterest! Please do a Style Icon feature on here for details on how you maintain your beautiful hair!

Colalover

Beautiful just beautiful! Hair is perfection!

Rachel
Rachel

Gorgeous!! That pic of you two walking away in the sunset, Amazing! Looks like u guys ate good at the reception lol. Nice to see people of different colors and cultures at the service. I love the theme of your wedding, elegant but simple and classic at the same time, love the balloons and sparkles isea

C in Colorado
C in Colorado

Lol at not wanting one’s big hair to block folks in photos. #naturalhairgirlproblem! Congratulations and many years of happiness together!

Kami
Kami

Um, yeah I should just die now because my hair will not look like that on my wedding day lol.

hadassah

Kristel,I love it all…the hair,the dress,the smiles and tears on faces…absolutely beautiful! I’m also planning to rock my natural hair in the humid Nigerian weather and I know my diva hair will want to steal the show…and out hair is a must..lol!
Flatironing and twistouts may not work with my length and weather, so I may be damp styling and work around the shrinkage.
Kristel, you inspired me!

Nappilynigeriangirl.blogspot.com

Caramelcurls
Caramelcurls

What a beautiful bride!!!! Her hair looks so beautiful, full, and healthy. They seem like a fun, genuine couple as well—LOVE!

Anon
Anon

Her hair looks lovely and you can really tell that she loved her wedding day!

Kanyeezy
Kanyeezy

And when she go natural she leave yo ass for a white man 🙁

Natasha
Natasha
Reply to  Kanyeezy

What a stupid comment. This man loved her for who she was. She’s happy, he’s happy, the families look happy. Honestly, get a life.

aa
aa
Reply to  Kanyeezy

@kanyeezy

L.M.A.O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD ONE! Aint it the truth though!GO Black women.

Reply to  Kanyeezy

well, you better start learning to appreciate black women.…lol.

KidA
KidA
Reply to  Kanyeezy

I bet this is a woman. Some are disgruntled at naturals who date who they please especially if it’s a white man.

Kanyeezy
Kanyeezy
Reply to  KidA

Nah, I’m a dude. I didn’t mean to offend. That woman is fine though. I wish I had a good natural black woman 🙁

Jesse
Jesse

This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing. The story of how you met is so sweet. Best wishes to you two!

Meera
Meera

LOVE the Totoro CAKE!!!!!! GOrgeous couple…Just beautiful.

Sigourney
Sigourney

Wow, just awesome! It’s making me look forward to my own wedding day. I am Surinamese American, and that’s exactly how it is with Holland and Suriname. Super diverse. Seeing the food in those trays makes me hungry! Javanese and Surinamese food is so good ya’ll! They look like they were enjoying it 🙂

Ubah Luar
Reply to  Sigourney

Ha ha jij ook Nederlands super;)
In that way Holland is diverce and multiracial

jasmine
jasmine

congrats booski

Ubah Luar

Congratiolations on your marriage and baby, you guys make a lovely couple!
Nice to see a fellow Duch citizen Im a fellow Dutchy (Amsterdam):)
Zo van harte gefeliciteerd en het beste. Misschien dat ik ooit een deel op BGLH zal doen..:)
Really like how you wore your hair…lose healthy and long. So many couples wear their hair in a updo…Super mooi.

Groetjes Ubah

Meg
Meg

I love it!!
Wish you all the best

kusjesss van Meg! 😉

Liz
Liz

OMG!!!I LOVE IT!!!It seems like it was a great party!!And you are stunning!Cute couple!!Wish u love and happiness!!Kisses from Brazil!;)

Maya
Maya

Totoro on the wedding cake! Genius.

Princess C
Princess C
Reply to  Maya

I was wondering if that was Totoro that she is sitting on on the cake hehe 🙂 Love it x

cacey
cacey
Reply to  Princess C

yeah that does look a lot like totoro. if so, frickin awesome. i love studio ghibli!

merry

i know i’m gonna get thumbs down…

she’s too pretty for him. i hope he’s got some money and is incredibly kind and smart.

Cre8ive
Reply to  merry

-_-… Really?

Fabienne
Fabienne
Reply to  merry

Man, you couldn’t have kept that inside?! I dread to think what your love life is like if you truly believe that a successful relationship is built on the couple being equally attractive. Perhaps she feels lucky to have him for lots of other reasons that you could not fathom from looking at them. You were right to be cautious in posting as your comment was cruel.

Reply to  Fabienne

my comment was not cruel. i’ve seen worse on this site. lol.

but let’s be real. most good looking men would not waste their time on a woman they thought was ugly. and you know that.

cacey
cacey
Reply to  merry

wow. srsly?
your honesty has carried you a bit too far in the wrong direction, merry ol’ girl.
some things one should keep to themselves, y’know? it’s in line with that elusive concept of “tact” that gets overlooked far too much on the wild wild web.

Reply to  cacey

i thought i was tactful. i didn’t refer to him as fug or whatever. lol.

why is it wrong for a woman to think looks are important, but it’s okay for men to?

imo, a woman who is beautiful should definitely use it to get with the best dude she can find. asian and white women do this all the time. that’s why i said, i hope he’s smart and kind…and coined up.

yep, i’m shallow but i don’t care.

Rene
Rene
Reply to  merry

Maybe he is the “best guy” for her. She finds him attractive, which is all that matters. She seems happy and his looks become a topic of discussion? So sad. I personally think these people are trying to find something negative to say, because they are unhappy with their lives. There is no reason at all to make comments about his looks unless you have some deep seeded anger/sadness in your life. Therefore, you must make rude comments to feel better about yourself. Opinions regarding looks are so subjective; why make such comments? Many will find him attractive while others… Read more »

'Quel
'Quel
Reply to  merry

Um, don’t hate. She was just stating the obvious. Dude is unattractive.

Reply to  'Quel

thank you!

chinamountain
chinamountain
Reply to  merry

Honesty! When I first saw the pictures I truthfully thought the same thing. I wasnt going to write tho. Shes a beautiful bride and overall a nice couple.

Reply to  chinamountain

yes. well, i said it for you. i was more thinking out loud.

i never said he was ugly. i said she was too pretty for him. i kept it positive. 🙂

sherrybaby
sherrybaby

Gorgeous bride and wedding!…and can we talk about the groom’s bad ass suit!

Jazz
Jazz

Beautiful! I love the pics with you dancing. Looks like it was fun day.

RukiyatG

Ah-maz-ing! Such loveliness in every aspect of these pictures. You two look so happy and your special day looks perfect. Congratulations!

All Things O'Natural

This looks magical and you two look O’Mazing!!!! Many many blessings on your union..Thanks for sharing your story

cacey
cacey

beautiful couple, beautiful pictures, beautiful wedding, beautiful everything. gee, i wanna see Amsterdam. so not fair!

Amsterdam-Suriname
Amsterdam-Suriname

Yes, thumbs down miss Merry! Very rude! Jullie zijn een mooi stel en wens jullie al het geluk samen toe. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful!
Congratulations beautiful couple! Bless and one love 😀

alt-K
alt-K

Beautiful couple on a beautiful day! I’d love to see what the two women who made the negative comments about the groom look like or if they are married because more often than not, a woman who speaks this way is either unattractive herself, unmarried/unattached, or both! LOL. My Granny always said if you don’t have something nice to say, keep it to your miserable self!

Maggie A

Such a beautiful bride! 🙂

xo
Maggie
Love Mavin

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

Congrats! Her hair is on point and the wedding looked lovely.

Liz
Liz

Bboy husbands are the best! Make sure he always keeps rockin!

Ummhiyah
Ummhiyah

Beauty’s only skin deep…if they connected that long ago than he is most likely a beautiful person on the inside. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Kristel

Comment from the bride herself: normally i dont comment, because the ladies on this site know how the keep it positive. And they are doing a beautiful job keeping the negative people in check. 🙂 it doesnt matter if we talk about hair or love, its about incouraging each other to be ourself and love another for being who they are. My man aint rich (far from it XD) and much more than kind alone. He is my best friend, soulmate, my 1 and only for more than 12 years. I only have eyes for him. I love the way he looks, but… Read more »

willow
willow
Reply to  Kristel

now that’s what i call reading

looks like you had an awesome time at your wedding and on your honeymoon! congratulations, sending you wishes for luck and blessings

nigeria
nigeria

Congratulations from Milwaukee, Wisconsin! Beeeautiful Wedding!!

Erica

Mooi!!!

My family is from Surinam and I dream of finding a hubby that speaks dutch that my dad would like lol.

YOU look/looked so beautiful!! and I love the pics of you guys dancing. What is a gathering with Surinamese people without some dancing? Awesome pics I love it.

denise
denise

You go beautiful lady with your gorgous hair and blessing of a husband. What God has for U is for U.….…Thank you for sharing.

ysabella
ysabella

Hi bglh, I recently came across your blog and i must say nice job. I want to start my transitioning journey, however i have a bit of a problem, am looking for basic, good and affordable natural products that I can use as i transition. I live in Nigeria so am looking for that might be readily available around me. I read Dudu osun is great for shampooing and Shea butter for conditioning. Am not so sure about different opinions i have been getting. Please i really really would love to get a feedback from you. Thanks and sorry for… Read more »

Kristel
Reply to  ysabella

Sorry for my late reply!

When I transitioned I used a set with very small rollers so that the straight hair would blend more in with my new growth natural texture.
I did that for about a year and then a did the big chop.

the products i used are from the organic root stimulator and professional motion line.
In this article you can click the links to those products:

Good luck with your naturla hair journey!
(enjoy every lenght) 🙂

Oliver Gothic
Oliver Gothic

Ah, i love your Totoro cake ! Beautiful wedding !

Macintouch
Macintouch

Niice pics! The hair look so good with the veil on the bride!! Love it
Xo