Imani // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Sep 29, 2013

Introduce yourself!
I:
My name is Imani Cruz. I was born in Manhattan, NY and I am of mixed descent. My mother is African American and my Father is Dominican and Cuban.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
I:
I have been natural all of my life! My hair has never been permed, straightened, had weave in it, or been relaxed! My mother was very adamant that I have my hair in its natural state. I was around 6 or 7 when I decided that I wanted my hair in locs. My mother had locs, and I loved how she looked in them so I decided that I wanted to look just like “My Mommy”!

What method was used to start your locs?
I:
When I was around 5 or 6 my Mom took me to a natural hair salon and my locs were started there. I was so young at the time I don’t exactly remember the name. I do however suggest getting your locs started at Locs & Chops in Midtown, NY! You won’t be disappointed. I also don’t remember the exact method that was used, but I know I went straight into it! I didn’t start with twists or anything like that…I went straight into my locs. As far as how many locs I have…I have never attempted to count. I’ve never been THAT bored haha 🙂 But I probably have like…100! I don’t know!

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
I:
I prefer simplicity in terms of my hair. I don’t go for the crazy styles unless there is a special occasion. I love my hair and I love to just wear my hair down most of the time, or I might style it into a high updo bun. Maintaining my hair is a little tedious only because I have to retwist my hair A LOT! I usually retwist it during my free time using IC Fantasia Styling Gel and Jamaican Mango & Lime Moisturizing Creme. That stuff leaves my hair looking so shiny and feeling healthy! No exaggeration! I also use Tea Tree Oil on my scalp and roots. For special events I like to have my hair styled at Locs & Chops. For a beautiful and long lasting style I recommend getting your locs styled there by renowned stylist Thando Kafele. He is one of the more famous locticians, and you will leave him satisfied with your hair in a unique style :).

tumblr_mox5bkreRx1qd4bigo1_1280

What does wash day look like for you?
I:
To wash my hair I can pretty much use anything. I use mostly two products, TIGI Catwalk and Tresemme Shampoo and Conditioner. I massage my scalp with the shampoo then the conditioner to ensure my hair is soft! After I wash and condition my hair I usually dry it, then oil my hair from the roots to the ends. Then I begin the retwisting process, which is best done right after a wash because your hair is easier to work with while wet.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
I:
My favorite go to hairstyle is definitely my updo bun. It frames my face perfectly and keeps my hair out of my face! The only problem is that my hair gets heavy after a while and I have to end up taking it all down! I also like to just have my hair down as simple as it sounds. Or maybe it’s just laziness!

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
I:
Problem areas for me often occur around my roots. I get build up sometimes if I use certain products to retwist my roots. I never get build up using IC Fantasia Styling Gel though.

What are 2 do’s for your locs/texture?
I:
2 Do’s for my texture: Oiling my roots everyday, especially after shampooing and conditioning or color dying. Second, for my texture I suggest washing with shampoos that are geared towards natural hair. Cheap shampoos will not keep your hair healthy at all.

What are 2 don’ts for your locs/texture?
I:
2 Dont’s: Waiting too long to wash! If I wait, my hair will get brittle. Second, do not go to sleep without wrapping your hair. You will wake up with frizzy hair and you’ll have to do a quick retwist before you start your day which is annoying!

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
I:
I just created a new website, so it’s brand new: ReflectionsofNoemi.blogspot.com.
My Tumblr: Notasimplepleasure.tumblr.com
Instagram: ImaniNoemi

About Meosha

treece12
treece12

Her locs are cute (very neat) and I like the colour!

GSoldier

My fault. I wanted to like your commwnt not down it.
+2 ^_^

GSoldier

Imani I L.O.V.E your simplicity and style. It’s feminine and shows from your hair to your fashion and through your character i’m sure. You’re just… Real!

Alisa
Alisa

Gorgeous locs! I started mine about a month ago, so hers are definitely an inspiration! I would love to know where she got that red(?) and yellow dress from though!

juanicole617
juanicole617

Wow, beautiful girl, beautiful locs. I’ve never desired locs but, this set of lovely locs has definitely influenced me. Simply gorgeous!

Shashank
Reply to  juanicole617

Oh yeah, latching is great and once you get the hang of it the speed ivoepmrs. I really liked her demonstration, along with NubianLockedPrincess’ and MsButterfli on YouTube, I finally understood how to do it. I think some people occasionally palm roll the length. Your locs are looking fantabulous!! It won’t be long now ’til 1 yr.

juanicole617
juanicole617

I’d like to know how often you wash your hair? 🙂

Asana

I love the fact that she wanted to look just like her mommy! Lovely locks! All of you locked sister are making me impatient to get my sister locks! Can’t wait!

whatshetaughther.blogspot.com

Kay
Kay

The first person to make me consider getting locs. Her hair is beautiful! And the color works well for her.

Imani C
Imani C

Wow, thank you for the kind words. I grew up having little to no support for having my hair in Locs from others & it’s great to know that there is a community that still appreciates natural hair. ??

Alisha
Reply to  Imani C

You’re a gorgeous girl and I love your hair!

Vanessa
Vanessa

I can’t wait to get locs. I’m giving myself one more year of growing out freely and then I’ll loc it up.
I love your hair color and thanks for listing the salon to go to 🙂

Lauralei99
Lauralei99

Love the ‘nappiness’ tee-shirt. Where did you get it?

Lauralei99
Lauralei99

Dominican and Cuban are not races, like the USA,they are nationalities.

K
K

LOL @ “mixed descent.”

T.
T.
Reply to  K

Although what Lauralei99 said is true that Dominican and Cuban are not races (and neither is Latino/a) — a Cuban/Dominican/Latina can be white, black, any race or mix thereof — I would say that regardless of race, Imani is of mixed cultural heritage/ethnicity, so I think she is entitled to say she is of mixed descent.

K
K
Reply to  T.

But WTH does it have to do with anything? If someone asks me to introduce myself, I would not say, “I am African-American, with some German, Asian and Cherokee ancestry.” That seems so illogical to me.

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH
Reply to  K

TRUE

T.
T.
Reply to  K

Most of the style icons introduce themselves with more than just their names; they give a bit more information about where they are from, where they live, what they do and, yes, often their ethnic background (Haitian, Surinamese, Zambian, Ghanaian, mixed Swedish/Mozambican, etc.) Especially if she’s read other style icon features before, it’s not that unusual of a way for her to answer that question.

Ann Marie
Ann Marie
Reply to  T.

Agreed. Most people intro themselves with a little non-hair information first…Granted, in “K” and “T“ ‘s defense, I kind of chuckle to myself when people announce their race/ethnicity to you upon first meeting (I think I would mention my occupation or favorite hobby or something), but Imani said what meant the most to HER, so why would anyone else be in a huff about it?

k-jo
k-jo

Finally another loc-head! Woot!! It’s been way too long since the last one! Loving yours and I’m looking forward to mine growing that length. I’ve been in the loc game for 14 months, now. =)

Ann Marie
Ann Marie
Reply to  k-jo

I know right! BGLH does not feature nearly enough beautiful loc’d ladies!!

Imani C
Imani C

@ “K” .. So you’re basically saying I should ONLY say that I am African American when my Father is NOT African American. How can someone only claim one part of their background? THAT’S illogical. It’s people like you who discourage others of MIXED DESCENT to proclaim ALL that they are mixed with. I am proud of my background and It’s unfortunate that you see that as illogical. I hope you have a wonderful day and continue to get enlightened. 🙂

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH
Reply to  Imani C

YOU’RE STILL BLACK THOUGH RIGHT?? I AM MIXED WITH A LOT TOO BUT I’M NOT GONNA USE THAT TO INTRODUCE MYSELF WHO CARES

FMR
FMR
Reply to  TINA SMITH

Exactly.
It’s just a ploy to escape blackness.

Tired of your BS
Tired of your BS
Reply to  TINA SMITH

You’re an angry heifer, Tina. You need a hug. Maybe an air hug.

ladyluo
ladyluo
Reply to  Imani C

Thank you! If your parents are of different races, it makes no sense to claim only one. Wish more biracial people would do that. This is not for the delusional “we are all mixed” segment of black people.

With that being said, love your locs

cacey
cacey

y’all are a trip lol anyway, beautiful hair.

Ken
Ken

Imani, you are a beautiful lady with gorgeous hair! I like the locks!
Well, so long as you know your origin, other people’s opinions don’t really matter.

NA
NA

You don’t mention your hairline or edges as a problem area. How do you maintain your hairline/edges? I’ve had locs for 15 years. My hairline/edges has receded; especially in my temple area. Hair growth oil (including Jamaican castor oil) and wearing hairstyles that don’t pull at my hairline have not caused my hair to grow back. I’ve seen this happen with some others with long locs. I’ve also seen some people with long locs whose hairlines have not receded and have healthy edges. A hairstylist said that I have alopecia and told me to consider cutting off my locs. I’m… Read more »

alice
alice

beautiful girl.locs are beautiful.

Sassy24
Sassy24

Pretty

youngin girl
youngin girl

Beautiful head of locs to match with a face. I’m speechless.