Freddie // 3C Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Sep 26, 2013

Introduce yourself!
F:
My name is Erica, but I go by Freddie. I am from Gulfport, MS. Currently reside in the DMV.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
F:
I have been natural since April of 2006. I’ve BCed twice. Once in ’06 and once in February 2012. I think my initial reason for going natural was to be different when I was in high school. There weren’t as many girls wearing their hair natural at the time. I wish I had a more profound reason, but it was pure vanity to be honest!

How would you describe your texture?
F:
If I had to describe my hair texture in one word it would be fluffy! Ha. It’s pretty bouncy. I suppose I am a 3c…at least that’s what they tell me. I don’t think my hair is particularly coarse or fine…so I guess I would say medium.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
F:
As of late my hair regimen has been particularly minimal. I’m in the US Army (for 2.5 years now) so every day it’s a bun for me. Before joining I would wash and blow dry every day or flat iron about every couple of months or more, and it was very damaging. Now I have a very cut and dry, boring, but effective routine. I wash in the evening, braid it up, take the braids down in the morning, throw some curl cream or conditioner on the ends and put it in a bun. I will take the bun down after work and let my scalp breathe a while then re-braid before bed. I usually just keep applying some curl cream (right now I’m loving Eden Body Works Coconut Shea Curl Defining Creme) and re-braiding my hair at night until I feel like washing again. I love this because on weekends or whenever I’m not in uniform I can just wear a braid out. Though every so often I’ll get a little crazy and do a wash and go! If for some reason I’m too lazy to braid my hair at night I just do a pineapple (loose ponytail on top of my head). As far as products go, it’s very important to me that they are not only cruelty free, but also as natural as possible. My diet plays a huge role in my hair care as well. I strive to maintain a healthy, plant based, Whole Foods diet and doing so has made my hair and skin much healthier and more vibrant.

IMG_7506

What does wash day look like for you?
F:
Well I have two different ways to wash my hair. About once or twice a week depending on my schedule or how my hair feels, in the evening I will put my hair in 6 braids and wash it in the braids. I have been using Dr. Bronner’s Lavender Scented Castile Soap for years now and I love it. I use it to wash my body, my face and my hair. Seriously, it rocks. After I wash I will run some cheap conditioner over my braids (right now I’m using Trader Joe’s Nourish Spa Conditioner. It’s really cheap and great quality.) to put a bit of moisture back in while I work on detangling. After that I will go one by one and take each braid down and apply some Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner and finger detangle.

Once upon a time I used to use a Denman and detangle very diligently. Now I don’t obsess over getting every single tangle out, and my hair is much happier for it. I save so much time, hair, and water now by just focusing on getting the big tangles out. After I detangle each section I rebraid and throw a towel on for a while and that’s it! Every couple months or so I will do a search and destroy. I also have a post-workout wash technique. I only do this after a heavy morning workout usually. I throw my hair back into those six or so braids then take my Dr. B’s and pour it in between the braids and wet my hands and massage my scalp. Then when I go to rinse the soap out I twist my showerhead so a more narrow stream of water comes out. I hold my braids out and up (a la Pippy Longstocking) and just rinse the scalp in between the braids. This prevents me from having to walk around all day with one of those wet, drippy buns.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
F:
Now that I think about it my hairstyle repertoire is seriously lacking! If I’m not in uniform I’m almost always wearing my hair down in a braid out or maybe a wash and go style. I guess I just wear my hair up so often that when the weekend comes it just needs to be let loose! I also really like to wear a pineapple. Sometimes I leave my bangs out with it or tie on a scarf. But chances are if you see me my hair it will be down and out.

How do you combat shrinkage?
F:
Gosh, I used to be so troubled with shrinkage, but I think that I’ve moved into that accept what you’ve been given stage. I guess I just don’t think of shrinkage as something that I need to battle anymore. It’s something I have to work with. I know that immediately after a wash I will have more shrinkage, but with my braid out routine my hair stretches a bit more each day (and I think stretching my hair this way has worked wonders for tangling, and retention!) so if I want to have really big, elongated curls I just wash my hair a few days before and just wear a braid out.

Tell us about your hair color?
F:
So for years I had this rockin orangey-red hair. I loved that color so much, but it did not love me back! Not only did it damage my hair, but I was constantly putting harsh chemicals on my scalp and into the environment. So I gave up the color and started growing it out and using henna. My hair is much healthier for it.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
F:
The hair behind my ears is particularly temperamental! It really requires extra moisture.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
F:
Wash and gos were great for me when my hair was shorter, but now that it is relatively long it should be worn stretched. I can wear them every now and then, but certainly not every day. I think a DO for every texture is to try to live a healthy lifestyle. Our hair and our skin are such good indicators of our overall health. I think that we get too concerned sometimes with treating symptoms (dryness, dullness, etc.) when our bodies are trying to hint at the cause. We only need listen. So drink your water, take your multi and eat your veggies!

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
F:
Protective styles (with the exception of buns). My hair does not like twists, braids, weaves, wigs, or anything of the sort! Not to mention my braids/twists always just seem to look limp and depressed. Other than while sleeping my hair is not having any of it. Denman-type brushes…I was really hooked on it for quite some time, but I had to come to terms with the fact that what works for others does not always work for me.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
Instagram: @freddie_erickson
Tumblr: Freddie-Erickson.tumblr.com

About Meosha

mlank64
mlank64

Your hair is so beautiful. I feel the same way about the Denman Brush. I just finger detangle. I don’t keep my hair in protective styles. I usually twist my hair after I wash and deep condition and then let the twist out the next day. Most of the time my hair is in some type of updo or high bun. I’ll re twist in large plaits before bed just to keep my hair streched. I’ve been able to do this regimen without losing any hair because of my protein treatments. I underestimated the importance of protein treatments as my… Read more »

Ray
Ray

Hair twin! Can’t wait till I get that length, gorgeous, also love your colors!

Ray
Ray

I love the Denman, I use a combo of finger detangle, wide tooth shower comb then Denman and I only use it once a week. It def gets shed hair that my fingers and the wide tooth comb can’t and I have never experienced any breakage, split ends or extra shedding, my shedding is minimal, even if I wait 2 weeks to detangle, and I do not wear my hair in protective styles. U def have to use it correctly, not like a typical brush. I modify mine and slide it down my hair in 1 smooth stoke instead of… Read more »

Reply to  Ray

sorry can you explain better?do you work from the bottom to the top or do you just basically slide down the hair with denman after the first two steps?

Ray
Ray
Reply to  :)

I do start from the bottom. Basically start from the bottom put my hair in between the bristles starting about four inches from the bottom and then slowly slide down, the slower the better, not super slow but more so patiently. If it glides down without any issues move up higher and slide down to the ends, move higher and slide. Once i can go from top to bottom easily ill do the same from the sides, just a different angle to catch all the hair. It makes my hair so soft because it had distributed the cond perfectly, and… Read more »

Reply to  Ray

Alisa
Alisa

Beautiful curls!

lauryn
lauryn

What henna products are you using for your color? I tried one and it refused to hold, even after 2 applications ‑___-

Freddie_Erickson
Reply to  lauryn

Lately I’ve been using Rainbow brand found at my local health food store. I don’t follow the directions on the back of the package. I mix it with Bragg’s apple cider vinegar and hot water and let it sit in a warm place during the day. I leave it in overnight with a shower cap on. Put a towel on the pillow!! It’s so messy! Hope that helps!

-Freddie

Ellipsis

I love her hair…he stretched ears and her face.….so pretty freddie

maxine
maxine

A hideous name that sounds like an 80 year old man ‑Erica fits the pretty face with the beautiful curls so much more and I’m just being honest..

Freddie_Erickson
Reply to  maxine

Maxine,

You will see in the interview that I said I am in the military. We go by our last names. This is a nickname I picked up based on my last name. I actually find it very fitting to my personality and quite like it. My mother taught me that if you don’t have anything nice to say, it is best not to say anything at all. You should try it.

-Freddie

Dananana
Dananana

I like you and your curls…especially after that!

And That's Fine
And That's Fine

BOOP!! I love love love your curls and personality Freddie and thank you for your services!

And That's Fine
And That's Fine

*service*

Redseouls
Redseouls

Sorry! Meant to thumbs up. My fat finger hit the thumbs down

maxine
maxine

My mother taught me that too,but we don’t always listen to what our Mothers say‑I just say what I think.thats me.

Alycia
Alycia

Same here! I’m in the Air Force. I go by my last name, Cody and other nicknames derived from it outside the military as well. I think it’s different and cute, even tho it’s not a typical female name. WHO CARES?! hahaha Your hair is gorgeous btw!

alice
alice

I have a huge girl crush on girls with big hair and nose rings..so rebellious and free. Y’all are just nice.
Love your hair. You look like Elle Varner. When I saw your pic on the homepage, that was my first thought.
You’re gorgeous though and your name is cool. Salute Freddie. xoxo

Dananana
Dananana

You know what I love the most about this style icon? It’s not just her clearly bomb personality… it’s that she placed a lot more emphasis on her diet and hair care techniques than her products. My hair is shinier, stronger, and retains more length when I’ve been chowing down on fresh veggies and drinking lots of water, and I’m glad someone else has noticed the same thing!

BeUtifully Human
BeUtifully Human

I LOVE the Eden’s Coconut Shea Leave-in too! That stuff is awesome! Although, I don’t really care for their other products. Love your hair too!

D.K.

Awesome girl! Absolutely beautiful hair, diet and personality to match! You go girl!

http:/vertmoot.blogspot.com

Courtney
Courtney

You remind me of Elle Varner 🙂

sherrybaby
sherrybaby

Yes! I’m from NY but half my family roots are in Canton Mississippi. Used to spend every other summer there. Always nice to see a Mississippian on here! And your hair is divine!

FabULess
FabULess
Reply to  sherrybaby

My roots are from Canton too!!!!! The Williams/Waires!!! Heyyyyy!!!! (We’re probably related somehow somewhere!) 😉 Anyway, Freddie.…I LOVE your name…I wished it were mine! My fathers name was Fred and he was no hideous 80 year old man…people can be so stupid! I wished I could have “reached out and touched someone” after that comment…however, Freddie handled it BEAUTIFULLY!!!!!

Dawn
Dawn

This is a great feature. I enjoy her personality and of course her hair.
I get serious shrinkage after wash day too. It used to bug me out why my hair was so “short” on certain days lol.

Hadassa D

Everytime I saw her photo I just thought it was Elle Varner doing selfies. You’re gorgeous. I love your hair. You are only you. Cute!

Elle
Elle

I can’t believe you’re in the military and not on TV with that face and personality — though I appreciate your service, Lol!

This was one of the most upbeat and pleasing interviews I’ve ever read on this site and I’m loving the stream of low-maintenance naturals. Also loved Freddie’s name (she totally channels Cree Summer), that gorgeous hair color and that she acknowledges whole body care. That pic with the Obama shirt is just absolutely, drop dead GAWJUSS!

hmm
hmm

Lovely hair, and you remind me of elle varner too.

Off topic but is there a reason April’s feature was deleted Meosha? I guess this site is only embracing a certain “type” now??

Asana

All that hair! Yessssss! I love the color (lipstick and hair).

whatshetaughther.blogspot.com

Khalia
Khalia

Everyone seems to be saying Elle Varner. I thought she looks like Kelis.
Either way, Freddie is a beauty.

Michele

Beautiful girl , my hairtype is the same only shorter . Been natural 34 months now . Love the way your article was written , informative and inspirational !!! Love Obama , thankyou for your services ; you take care girl and keep on doin what you doin !

Jo
Jo

That’s really cool! For a minute, I was inspired to have a nickname based on my surname, which begins with “Saint”, but that may not work out too well.
I can just imagine…
“Come here, Saint!”
“When Saint comes marching in”

o_O;

Anyway, Like Freddie, I don’t obsess over combing out every single tangle, either (I think that may cause stress on the hair). I let my hair does what it does naturally and detangle semi-thoroughly if that makes sense.

Laura Truesdale
Reply to  Jo

LOL 😀

Ann Marie
Ann Marie

You are my favorie BGLH icon ever. Beautiful everything. And an extra big “YAYYY!” for stretched lobes, vegans, free spirits, and gals whose only protective style is the bun! <3

Brea
Brea

Scrolling through here looking for hair tips like usual and lo and behold here is my sister lol. Came a long way from the press and curl honey werrrk! Lol

Freddie_Erickson