3 Ways to Retain Moisture at Night Without a Hair Bonnet

Avatar • Sep 25, 2013

Woman Sleeping in Bed

Silk scarves or satin hair bonnets are almost always recommended by pretty much every natural to help take care of your hair at night. Some give them credit for reducing breakage, helping to preserve hairstyles and even for helping to moisturise hair while you sleep. However, what happens if you forget your hair bonnet or what if scarves and bonnets are more a source of frustration rather than a helpful hair aid. You may find that your scarf always slips off at night or your bonnet is not kind to your edges or you do not like the look of a scarf or a bonnet. No matter what your reason, here is a guide on how to survive without the bonnet.

1. Style your hair to sleep — Pineapple, large twists or braids, French braids
Ideally if your hair is longer or prone to tangling when free, you will be doing yourself a favour by styling it before you sleep . Pineappling is creating a high bun by lifting all your hair upwards and securing it loosely with a large hair tie. It is ideal if your hair is long and is prone to simple tangles. If your hair is the complex knot forming, shrinkage loving, meshing type of hair then a better way to secure it is in 8–10 large twists or large braids or even two French braids. You can also do the pineapple, large twists or large braids or French braids on hair that is in smaller/mini single strand twists or braids.

2. Use a satin pillowcase or cover your pillow with the silk scarf
Silk scarves and satin bonnets are thought by many to be softer less abrasive surfaces for hair to rest on. If you are not wearing one, then your next best option is to cover your pillow with the silk scarf or buy a silk pillowcase. This will allow your hair to rest on the silk surface and therefore gives you the benefit of the softer surface.

3. Be moisture aware
Covering your hair at night can contribute to moisture retention and therefore conversely, uncovering it may lead to loss of moisture. However, many people can sleep without covering their hair without any problems. If you know your hair is prone to dryness, just take extra care to increase the frequency of your moisture routine while still generally avoiding oil at night time.

A note about oiling hair at night:
If you are not going to cover your hair while you sleep, take care not to be heavy handed with oil on your hair especially if you have a night time moisturising routine. Many natural oils can be comedogenic meaning they can cause acne. Covering your hair allows some of this oil to be absorbed by the scarf or bonnet and therefore without this absorption, you should be aware that even more oil will be transferred to your pillow and therefore to your face.

Ladies, are you a fan of hair bonnets? Why or why not? How do you retain moisture while not wearing one?

About The Natural Haven

Scientist on a hairy mission!

Tolu
Tolu

I’m not a big fan of scarves,they just slide off my hair.I usually sleep with a scarf around my pillow,and it’s worked nicely for me so far.Maybe I’ll put my hair in twists as well now,thanks!

Chanda
Chanda

My issue is not remembering or being to lazy to put on the hair bonnet and then waking up looking like Marge Simpson. Have to get into the habit of following these steps on a nightly basis.

TWA4now
TWA4now

I love the hair bonnet but in need of a REAL satin or silk one. I need the bonnet because I sleep too wild.

Candice
Candice

I definitely need to get a satin pillowcase. While my bonnet does stay on at night, it does kill the nighttime sexy look.

Cynthia R Brinkley
Cynthia R Brinkley
Reply to  Candice

My man hates the bonnet I will take note to the tips.

Tameka
Tameka

I use a satin pillow case I like my hair to be free

Elle
Elle
Reply to  Tameka

Even when I was permed I never covered my hair or did nighttime protective styling and I don’t do it now. I use a satin pillowcase. My hair like me needs to be wild and free, Lol!

Also, please list some comedogenic oils. I know coconut and wheat germ are routinely mentioned, while avocado and castor are on the lower end of comedogenicity.

RockinTWA
RockinTWA
Reply to  Elle

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/image-19.jpg[/img]

Good question, so I looked this up.

mangomadness
mangomadness

I am big fan of satin scarves and bonnets.

I like them because they maintain my hairstyle throughout the night, keep my kinky coily hair lint free and keep my hair moisturized.

I don’t retain moisture while not wearing one. That’s why I always sleep with one on.

Jessybabe

Each night I always routinely remember to place my hair in a bonnet, even with my twa now I still do. Only time I don’t is if I’m not home but elsewhere, or if I randomly fell asleep from exhaustion. But 90% of the time, bonnet on. The only thing I don’t do is put moisturizer in my hair as I am sleeping. Reduces the scary looking pimples on my forehead lol

Twumwaa
Twumwaa

I recently added too much oil to my hair and i did not sleep with a scarf on. I woke up the next morning and my pillow was covered with oil. The end result was that i got little tiny acne all over my cheeks and i am now treating it. I will try to use Less oil during the day so that it does not act as if I oiled my hair before i sleep.

Gevar
Gevar
Reply to  Twumwaa

Hi Twumwaa, u sound like a true diva & u should sleep like a diva. what if I told u I have the perfect night cap 4 u, would u b interested?.my product is not on the market as of yet.will like to introduce my brand 2 u.
Gevar

AC
AC

I’m definitely a fan of bonnets, scarves broke off my damn nape. Hmph.

TrueLifeDiva
TrueLifeDiva

I use satin pillow cases, scarves, bonnets, wrap caps, and braid bonnets. Anytime I see a protective headwrap at the beauty supply, I buy it. I have something for every hairstyle (updo, weave, braids, rollerset, strait) in every color. Not tying my hair up at night leaves me with a dry, frizzed out mess!!

shelikes
shelikes

well this is my problem. i am so hair lazy and tired from the day that when i loosely plait my hair up at night i do it while i am in bed lying down. no parts no comb just a few fat nappy plaits all over. sometimes i fall asleep before i finish. i sleep on a satin pillow case because cotton def dries my hair out. but i cant sleep with anything on my head like a bonnet or scarf. too much to deal with, so when i wake up my hair is not dry but i look… Read more »

shelikes
shelikes

and ummmmm bglh please tell me how your model looks so good sleeping next time lets see some real time slept on nappy hair, bonnets and scarves. lol. just teasing. i love your site.

Chelsea

Im a big fan of satin sheets and pillow cases but I LOVVEE my hair bonnet at night! lol
chck out my youtube channel for my natural hair videos.

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMG_20130922_1055311.jpg[/img]

Yolanda
Yolanda

I just hate bonnet and i don’t like the satin pillowcase. Nightime is free time 😉 i moisturize in the morning instead..

lystra Alexander

My hair is always dry…i think I mite just try that head scarf..thnx.

ava monroe
ava monroe

Everything I put on my head at night scarf, cap, wrap, turban, is on the floor in the morning, and oil, it never, ever sink into my hair, it runs down my neck, and face it is like I’m sweating oil so embarrassing, like someone with a jeri curl.