Derica // Multi-Texture Style Icon

Avatar • Jul 2, 2013

SAM_6407

Introduce yourself!
D:
Hello lovely naturalistas! My name is Derica Powell, born in Columbus, Ohio raised up in the small state of Delaware.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
D:
Wow. There are so many answers I could give to this question. I can rant on and on about how my hair wasn’t healthy and how perms did so much damage, but we all know that story. My biggest problem with permed hair was shedding, but I’ve always had a head full of hair that everyone believed to be “fake”. My hair, although it was in good shape, was still damaged. My hair never grew past shoulder length. Once I realized I just decided to lay off the perms for a while. I started growing my hair out without even knowing I was actually transitioning the whole time! That’s when the breakage came full force. So one day while on YouTube I figured I’d look up ways to work with two-textured hair. Upon doing so, I stumbled over the natural hair videos. For days I studied the fundamentals and immediately fell in love with all things natural. It seemed so empowering. I was taken by the courage these ladies had to break away from society’s outlook on how we “should” wear our hair.

I received my first perm at 5 years old, so that’s all I knew growing up. The idea of natural never crossed my mind because I was never exposed to it. I received my last fix of creamy crack in February 2010, transitioned for 8 whole months and did my own big chop September 16th 2010. So, I have been natural going on 4 years in September of this year. I’m glad I crossed over because going natural has made me who I am today. Now because of my change I’ve become more open to taking care of my body along with my hair. I’ve also encouraged my mother and two sisters to go natural along with a few friends and other family members.

How would you describe your texture?
D:
My hair is a nuisance. I have so many textures that I gave up on figuring out exactly which textures I have. What I do know is I’m predominantly in the 4 category with a splash of 3. My crown is more of a wavy texture, on the sides it’s more tight, kinky curls, and in the back I’m working with loose, silky, luscious curls, which hold the most moisture. Lastly my middle is a mix and the driest part that acts like a sponge. I have VERY thick hair. My strands are extremely dense and if I don’t moisturize daily it can become coarse as well.

20130609_091418

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
D:
I’m a minimalist when it comes to everything, especially my hair. When my hair was shorter I tried more styles, but as it got longer I wanted to avoid manipulation as much as possible. My go-to style is two-strand twists. I absolutely love them! I get major love when I wear my twists vs. wearing my hair out. The whole “wow, look at all that hair, is it all yours?” statement gets repetitious so I try keeping my hair from being “big” as much as possible. Only time I really let my hair down is close to wash day. The only products I use are shea butter and oils (jojoba, castor, coconut, almond, avocado etc. Like I said, minimalist. I created a shea mixture, but sometimes I use the products separately depending on my hair needs. Another product I have added recently is Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and I’m looking to invest in a product for co-washing.

What does wash day look like for you?
D:
Washing my hair takes a long time, a LONG time. Mainly because I like to make sure I don’t rush the process and also because I have thick hair. I take my time so I can be gentle. I’ve noticed my hair doesn’t respond very well to protein so I’ve steered clear of protein based products. Once I went all natural I opted for all natural products as well. My regimen is very simple and quite easy to follow. Weekly (bi-weekly depending on my hair) I wash my hair, not with shampoo, but with a clay wash called Terressentials Organic Hair Care (found online). Bi-weekly I deep condition using Alikay Naturals Honey and Sage Deep Conditioner, which I love because it adds so much moisture and leaves your hair feeling like liquid silk. Monthly I have started hot oil treatments. As my hair grew longer for some reason my scalp grew drier so I’ve been creating oil mixtures to add moisture to my scalp. Sparingly I do an ACV wash (apple cider vinegar wash) to combat buildup. Also, I started off co-washing my hair in the early stages, but as my hair flourished I slowly removed it. I’m looking to add it back for summer months though.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
D:
As I said before I’m a two strand twist kind of gal. I refresh weekly when I wash, or in between depending on time and my mood. I’ve even perfected a method of washing with my twists in.

How do you combat shrinkage?
D:
Shrinkage for me isn’t a factor so I don’t try avoiding it. I love that reveal when people don’t actually know how long my hair is. If I wanted more length I’d go for mini twists or a twist out on dry, but well moisturized hair.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
D:
My scalp and my ends. I didn’t have any issues with my scalp at first, but as every natural knows, as our hair grows it changes. As far as my ends are concerned, they are very prone to knots so I trim my hair frequently. I’d say I trim at least every few months.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
D:
Number one I would have to say is moisture. Daily moisture is essential. I spritz water on my hair to refresh with any style. I highly recommend co-washing as it also works wonders with moisture. Number two I would have to say sleeping with a satin bonnet/scarf AND satin pillowcase. Using both adds double protection because if in any case your bonnet were to slip, the pillow will be there for reinforcement.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
D:
Do not and I repeat DO NOT comb your hair dry, it’s a recipe for disaster. Dry hair has no elasticity so you’re asking for breakage and knots. Unless you’re someone who flat irons then I suggest never to run a comb or anything through your hair while dry. With that being said, another thing is to refrain from sulfate shampoos. Although your hair may be clean it will also be stripped of its natural oils, so be careful when purchasing products. Be sure to read the label or look up reviews if you want to try something new.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
D:
Not currently, but I’ve been asked why I don’t have one (lol) so look for one coming soon. In the meantime, you can find me on Instagram: __munchiebaby (with 2 underscores).

About Meosha

Keisha
Keisha

Love your hair! What is your routine for washing your twists?

Reply to  Keisha

I knew i would get this question. Lol. It’s so simple. Well now that I’m used to it. Anywho, first I massage my hair thouroughly with coconut oil with twist in. Next I wash like I normally would paying close attention not to allow my twist to “mesh” together. This happens because I don’t part my hair, I grab and go when i twist so hair will work it’s way in other twist while massaging if your not careful. After I wash I condition then retwist and apply light product. I would not recommend doing this if you have major… Read more »

Mee Anon
Mee Anon

Love it, am getting the vybe that she’s at that stage where she’s at peace with her hair and knows what works for her

Reply to  Mee Anon

Omg I sure hope that nothing changes between now and then. Lol, thanks.

zyaran
zyaran

Gorgeous hair, so much of it and loving the 2 strand twist style :). Also she reminds me of the actress Kyla Pratt a little bit as well.

Reply to  zyaran

It’s a lot right! Lol. And wow, I get that a lot and had even more when I was younger. I looked too much like her then!

Phoxxie
Phoxxie

From Sept 2010-Sept 2013 is 3 years.

Beverly L
Beverly L
Reply to  Phoxxie

😀 I got confused with that too.…

Smlisley
Smlisley
Reply to  Phoxxie

It’s four years if you count 2010 (10, 11, 12. 13)

Michelle
Michelle
Reply to  Smlisley

It’s actually 3 yrs and 5 months. You can’t count all of 2010 or 2013 because she got her last relaxer in Feb 2010 and it’s now only July 2013. Feb 2010 to Feb 2011 to Feb 2012 to Feb 2013 (3 yrs;) Feb 2013 to July 2013 (5 months). So it’s 3 yrs and 5 months.

cb
cb
Reply to  Michelle

seriously???, ya’ll going to countdown from 2010 to 2013 with months…do not forget the weeks, days and hours…haha…too funny

Reply to  Phoxxie

Oh goodness. Lol my apologizes ladies didn’t mean any confusion. Simple mistake.

Camillia
Camillia

Love it!!

Reply to  Camillia

Thank you !!!!

Aja Terry
Aja Terry

LOVE SEEING ANOTHER DE GIRL ON HERE!!!! LOVIN IT!!!

Reply to  Aja Terry

YESSS !!! We coming up slowly but surely.

Marilyn
Marilyn

Gorgeous. However, it sounds like she isnt in love with her hair (“nuissance”) which makes me sad;-(

Reply to  Marilyn

No, not at all. I was just trying to explain how much difficulty it was in having multi texture hair. I LOVE my hair and the only thing I can say that bothers me is how long it takes to do. Lol.

Chelle
Chelle

absolutely love love love your hair.

Reply to  Chelle

Omg thank you sso so so much! 🙂

Candice
Candice

Has anyone else noticed that if their curls are stretched then combing hair when dry (i.e., not adding additional water first) isn’t a big deal? I know a lot of natural always say never to comb hair when it’s dry, but I find that’s the easiest time to comb and detangle.

D.K.
Reply to  Candice

Candice, usually curly african hair is very fragile when dry (depending on the curl size and moisture level) but a day or two prior to washing I usually try to take small sections and finger detangle so as not to clog the drain, waste product and spend less time detangling on wash day. It works for me because I shed hair like crazy, but it might not be the best thing to do for others. It seems like it works though for you too!

vertmoot.blogspot.com

L
L
Reply to  Candice

I also comb my stretched hair while dry and it’s never caused me any problems. I think we all need to remember that there are no set rules to being natural, you’ve got to work according to your own needs. All the information on blogs are just guidelines.

Reply to  L

Yes. Just guildlines. Most information we recieve we recieve from other naturals. I should have clarified but I had already said a lot already. Lol. I thought about the combing on stretched hair but because I don’t have a stretching method I never considered mentioning it.

Reply to  Candice

Well said .K. I agree fully, if I works for you I say go for it. I just know that with my texture I’ve noticed it’s a no no. Everyone has different methods that work so I’m not knocking it but I have tried it. Lol.

Chan
Reply to  Derica

Yes I would have to agree, with my texture its not the best idea either.

Pretdva
Pretdva

Super hair crush!!!

Reply to  Pretdva

*Gasp* Really ??? Omg I’ve only dreamed of being someone’s hair crush!! 😀

deb
deb
Reply to  Derica

LOL you are so adorable!

Reply to  deb

🙂 🙂 🙂 Well thank you deb !

Antoinette Stewart

Her twists are so uniform and beautiful! Cant wait till my hair grows out to one length so I can do fun styles with my twists. Still stuck with the funky mohawk grow out stage

Dananana
Dananana

I can totally relate! I’m at the awkward collarbone-length “mullet” stage, and her twists make me dream of what uniformity would look like in mine.

Derica

I lived the funky mohawk grow out stage! Lol. No worries, you’ll be there in no time. What helped me is that I just focused more on the health of my hair than the length. Worked like a charm. Other people noticed the growth before me.

Azziza Joi
Azziza Joi

She is like my density twin!!! <3

Derica

So I may actually have a hair twin after all!!

Alisha

Derica, you’re beautiful and so is your hair. I love your creativity. Also, very cool that you replied to everyone.

Reply to  Alisha

Oh wow. Thank you that’s so sweet of you. And I try to stay involved. I’m such a people person. Guess I was born this way. 🙂

me
me

I love your hair! How do you retain length? I find that my hair knots a lot and to avoid breakage I keep it cornrows most of the time while I am growing it. How did you do it?

Reply to  me

Best way for me was resisting the urge to style, style, style. I have knot issues at my ends also. Less manipulation helps. Throughout my journey I mostly did twistouts over braiding. I found that twistouts had less tendency to produce knots. The less single strands the better. Braids release more single strands than twists. Another factor could be moisture. Moisturizing from ends to roots could help.

Anonymous
Anonymous
Reply to  Derica

@ Derica did you cut or trim your hair when you noticed breakage. I am noticing little breakage but I’m starting to think it just comes with having thick hair. I’m always trimming it and I’ve cut 5 inches off and I’m at shoulder length. I’m at the point where I don’t want to do anything anymore.

Reply to  Anonymous

Well it really depends. I haven’t done much trimming lately but I would have to say I trim when I see breakage. There was only one occassion where i cut an inch or two off but that was because i have a single knot issue. Retaining length is important to me but I’m not obsessed with wanting longer hair. The thick hair threroy is a good one but there can be other factors to your breakaage.

Jocelina

Gorgeous hair and I love the length and styling!

Reply to  Jocelina

Thanks so much !!!

Jasmine
Jasmine

I love ur hair. Well I was natural for a year, den I decided to get a perm, but I went back natural bc I realize mi hair grew faster. So nw I have been natural for 6 mths nw. I am wanting to kno wat products should I use on mi hair?

Reply to  Jasmine

YAY! So glad you decided to cross back over :D. Lol. Well that’s hard to determaine. I can point you in a good direction but I can’t promise it would be the right one because everyone’s hair is different and what works for one may not work for the next. Best thing I could say is just to look at reviews on natural hair products for your hair type. There’s a lot of trial amd error in finding what works so don’t get discouraged. Good luck!

Jacky
Jacky

Beautiful

Reply to  Jacky

Aww. Thanks hun.

Taylour Janette'
Taylour Janette'

I love your hair and i also have multi-textured hair. Your hair is beautiful and I am determined to make sure my hair stays healthy and hopefully grows a little longer. Side Note: I was born and raised in the 302.

Derica

Woot Woot… 302 in the house Is it weird that I can’t wipe this grin off my face. *winks* I get ecstatic when I hear about naturals close to me. You will grow healthy beautiful hair I promise. Just as long as you love and take care of that glorious crown it will love you right back ! Keep it up love !

Chan

Wow your hair reminds me of mine in many ways? I’ve also been natural coming up on 4 years. I can’t wait to check out some of your twisted styles because twists are my favorite also! Loved your feature!

Reply to  Chan

Do I potentially have another hair twin amongst me !?? Lol. If you like my styles then I’d love to see them on you ! Twisting is my thang :). I am sooo glad you liked it.

Delilah
Delilah

I remember going to high school with her in Delaware!! Wow her natural hair journey is beautiful!!! Inspiration

Reply to  Delilah

So you know me. *eyes wide*. This is getting so real ! Lol. Thanks so much and I hope my journey helps you along with yours !

Paulo
Reply to  Derica

Thanks Anne! I am so excited to be using your maaeritls. I have all of your pages in there and in the back, I added weekly technique practice charts that I have created for my students. Those kids are going to know their scales this year!

Derica

I just want to give a BIG thanks to BGLH for the feature and to all the ladies who gave me so much love, even the ones who had me looking back to my calendar. Lol. It warms my heart to see women empower one another, seeing us all come together because of embracing our roots… it’s a beautiful thing and love it ! I appreciate you all and I wish everyone a bissful natural journey. God Bless.

OHR
OHR

Derica,
Do you have relatives in the CBus area? Who knows, I might know one of them!

Back on topic: wowza. you’ve got a lot of hair!!! Continued best wishes.

Reply to  OHR

Hi hun. I haven’t a clue but I know I have family everywhere ! Lol.
And yes ! Hahaha I have plenty. Thank you.

Derica

Hello to anyone who may read this. My Instgram changed to @kinkymadness! Also I have put up a page on facebook called KINKZ and things. Be sure to check it out!