Danielle // 4B Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Jul 11, 2013

image (13)

Introduce yourself!
D:
Hello!!!!! My name is Danielle and I currently live in Houston, TX born and raised!!!!

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
D:
Well I decided to go natural because I felt like I had done all to my hair that was to be done!! I was relaxed, but I did the Bobs, the asymmetrical bob, the short hair, the Rihanna haircut, weaves, you name it!! I have a daughter who has a beautiful head full of hair and it’s funny because I wanted to be like her. Let her know as she gets older that there is absolutely nothing wrong with her hair and what better way to display that to her than to show her that mommy has curls and kinks too!! So I researched for like 5 months about natural hair. YouTube and Google were my best friends!! I’ve been fully natural for about two years, but my last relaxer was September of 2010. I did the big chop the day before Mother’s Day in 2011 as a gift to myself.

How would you describe your texture?
D:
I like a lot of my friends that are natural don’t really get too caught up in typing. But if I had to take a guess my hair is 4b at the top and front and 4c at the bottom with my sides being a mixture of the two. My strands are fine in my opinion and this mane is THICK!!

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
D:
Well for the past month or two I have been doing the Curly Girl method so it has been 2 months of wash and go’s!! I decided to go this route because I wanted to try something different as I was becoming broke with buying styling products that didn’t give me the look I wanted. So when I started the curly girl method the conditioner showed me what I had been looking for!! Girl it was like the heavens opened up and Jesus himself handed me that conditioner.

image (15)

What does wash day look like for you?
D:
Since for the past month I have been doing the Curly Girl Method or a modified version rather, I don’t use shampoo and I co-wash my hair every day (I know it sounds crazy!!). I swear by the Holy Grail of Conditioners, which is Trader Joe’s Nourish Spa Conditioner. It’s cheap and gives my hair what it needs, so I am able to buy 3–4 bottles at a time to tide me over without breaking the bank. I finger detangle in the shower and do a minor cold rinse leaving a bit of the conditioner in my hair. I use a t‑shirt to put my hair in a turban and soak up some of the water. I then rotate between adding rice bran oil and vitamin E oil to seal in the conditioner. Then I add my leave-in and for that I use Lustrasilk Moisture Max Keratin Amino Acid Leave-In Crème Conditioner. Depending on how I feel I may add a bit of Eco Styler Gel. That particular leave-in came in my May Curl Kit and I loved it!! Then I may put my hair back up in the t‑shirt so I can get dressed. My hair air dries for the rest of the day. I like this method because it’s simple, giving me the look and results I like. There are occasional fairy knots, but overall it’s working for me. It helped my curls replenish, so when I thought I was 4c all over my head, those curls were just in need of some TLC!!

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
D:
There are days when I one it, and bun it if I get lazy or wake up late!!

How do you combat shrinkage?
D:
I combat shrinkage with the rice bran oil and the vitamin e oil. It was a tip I read on Urban Bush Babes!!

Tell us about your hair color?
D:
The red color is a color I picked up from Sally’s on a day that I had watched Sex and the City. The scene that inspired me to color my hair was when Carrie dyed her hair as sort of a fresh start from a difficult time she had just managed to overcome. Me and my boyfriend (cue tiny violin) had recently had a separation and I needed to do something to make me feel better. I saw a picture of a girl with beautiful cranberry curls on Pinterest and that too was inspiration. I chose a red and I bleached and dyed my hair myself. If I can remember it was a L’Oreal color. But don’t let me lie chile!! I did feel that it loosened my curls a bit, but nothing I would complain about. FYI only color your hair professional or otherwise if you’re gonna be committed to giving it that extra love it will need to continue to be healthy.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
D:
I have always been bald on my temples since as early as I can remember. So right now I am focusing on my temples and edges to give them a fair shake at growing back in. What is a natural girl with no edges right?!

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
D:
Two do’s for my texture are moisture and moisture lol.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
D:
Two don’ts for MY texture, key word MY, is the pineapple method and excessive protein.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
D:
Yea girl!! Hit me on the hip!!
Twitter.com/Elleluminate
Tumblr.com/Appleloniasway
Instagram: Ellea_Ellea
Pinterest: Danielle Tillman

About Meosha

Mel
Mel

First of all, I’d like to start off by saying that I absolutely love your hair. Your regimen is extremely simple and efficient and it’s wonderful that its working for you. Second… I think the whole typing system is so complicated. At this point, I don’t even know what to base it off of. Your hair, to ME and from what I understand looks more like a 4a/4b (maybe even a LITTLE 3c) then a 4b/4c? It just goes to show that it doesn’t make any sense and it is completely inaccurate or irrelevant. We seem to have the same hair… Read more »

Reply to  Mel

Aww thanks!!! Yea the hair typing thing will have you going crazy!! Thanks for the kind words and I love rants!!

D.K.

Nice hairstyles and pretty child! I don’t care for the red, but hey, not my hair. Good story and inspiration for the kids!

vertmoot.blogspot.com

Reply to  D.K.

Thank you!! The red was a risk!! it turned out ok but it’s not something I think I’ll do again!!

Jessica
Jessica
Reply to  Ellea

I love the red!!!!! If I didn’t work at a fairly conservative insurance company, I just might.….

la*belle
la*belle

I really enjoyed this interview! You are stunning, and that colour is so vibrant. Love your hair.

Reply to  la*belle

Thanks!!! 🙂

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

You and your daughter are gorgeous 🙂

Reply to  Amma Mama

Thank you!!

Shayla
Shayla

Yayyyyyyyyyy sisssssyyyyyy *does tootsie roll*

Mikhallynn
Mikhallynn

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/image-20.jpg[/img]
The violins have came to a halt ladies and gentlemen we are back together.…Isn’t she lovely!!

Reply to  Mikhallynn

Thanks for the support baby cakes!!!

vero77

you dont need red hair!!

Yat25
Yat25
Reply to  vero77

How about she can do what she wants to her hair? She’s expressing herself & being confident about it. I love it!

keisha
keisha

i absolutely love your hair and the color!!! beautiful!!! your daughter is cute and I love her curls too!

Reply to  keisha

Thanks girlie!!!

Sassy24
Sassy24

Gorgeous

kemz

Okay! It’s time for me to hurry up and dye my hair red! Did you have any damage from the dye?

fromshytoconfident.blogspot.com

Reply to  kemz

Hey Kemz!! The only damage that I can say I experienced was the dryness. That color and I think red in general is a hard color to maintain and requires extra love!! I say if your thinking about going that bright make sure moisture is your best friend!!

jenny08
jenny08

Your hair is so full and beautiful! Love it! That picture with your daughter is too cute for words 🙂

sammijae
sammijae

Omg I love that color!!! I wanna go blue but am scared of the bleach. My hair is about 3 inches from my waist and everybody keeps tellin me not to do it.

sdfrancis
sdfrancis
Reply to  sammijae

I want blue hair too! Not the whole thing but like a little piece. I too am worried about damage and regret. I would say there are four options: (1) don’t do it if it’s not worth it; (2) live your life and just try it. you might love it; (3) try a streak or the very back–not your whole head. So if it’s terrible it can be more easily covered and easier to come back from than an entire head of mess; or (4) try those hair chalk things. They add a splash of color and easily wash out.

My4CHair
My4CHair

What makes you think you are A 4b/4c (not being rude just trying to find out what u see as 4c because I am a 4b/4c and our hair is different)

Candice
Candice
Reply to  My4CHair

Her curls actually look more 4A to me too. I’m a 4A. But since she’s not big into typing, I guess it doesn’t matter to her one way or the other. I like to know a person’s hair type so that I know if their regimen will work for me. No need for me trying what works for a 3B/C natural, when my hair is nothing like that.

Bree
Bree

Your hair looks so lush.

Anonty
Anonty

Your hair is beautiful but if all the fros are your wng fros then I’d say you are a 4a/b with 3C as some of the curls are really visible and the rest seems to be made up of curls and undefined areas like 4a/b is. You’re right that it doesn’t matter so much when you type yourself but it does help people with hair like yours to find out their hair type proper and then they can maybe get tips from your regi. I love the fullness of your hair too.

Cams

I love the colors you have used and your hair sill looks so healthy and beautiful. Your daughter is gorgeous as well, I can identify with wanting to be like your baby, I thought the same thing about my hair in relation to my two daughters. What better way to say love yourself the way you are than to show that you do?

JENNID
JENNID

I liked this interview. Lol at the no pinappling. I just started doin this and it is helping me keep tension off my edges instead of retwisting everynight. At least you gave it a shot. I’m gonna have to get me some rice bran oil. Its one of the few good hair and body oils ive had yet to try. The red is a whoa, but its working for you. It probably looks amazing when you do up dos and twists.

nkem
nkem

I love this!!!

Deja
Deja

i think that color is magenta by loreal because my friend dyed her natural hair the same color