Chelsea // 3B Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Jul 28, 2013

photo4

Introduce yourself!
C:
I’m Chelsea! I’m from the huge state of Mississippi.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
C:
I began my transition in November 2010. This November I will celebrate 3 years since I decided to return to natural. I made the decision to return to natural because I spent all of my teenage years as a natural, even though I didn’t really know what that meant. Then, on a whim, I relaxed before entering into the first year of undergrad. When I began my graduate school journey I began to notice that my big bouncy curls were no longer present. I missed my curls terribly! I researched and found that I could start a process known as “transitioning” to return back to my beloved curls.

How would you describe your texture?
C:
My hair is predominantly 3b with one section near my crown that tends to lend itself a little closer to the 3c texture. I would also describe my hair as fine and dense. Chaka, as I affectionately call my hair, behaves quite well with proper care. I really can’t complain!

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
C:
Most of the time I rock wash and go’s with the products I mention below. My texture lends itself well to an easy to maintain wash and go, so I go with that.

photo13

What does wash day look like for you?
C:
I begin by deep conditioning my hair with a mixture of Tresemme Naturals Conditioner, coconut oil, and olive oil. I do this because I use shampoo regularly which strips my hair, so I pre condition my hair in order to lessen the effects of the stripping. Then I shampoo with either Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Clarifying Shampoo or Shea Moisture Curl and Shine Shampoo. I then leave in Paul Mitchell’s The Conditioner. I am a bit of a product junkie when it comes to styling products so the products I use to style vary quite a bit. I love wash and goes, so typically I just apply my product and let it air dry. Some of my staple styling products are Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel, Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Miss Jessie’s Quick Curls or Curly Meringue, and Flax Seed Gel.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
C:
I love flat twisting Chaka into a high sitting pony on top of my head. It is basically effortless. All I have to do is take down the pineapple I sleep in, twist, pull, and go!

How do you combat shrinkage?
C:
I don’t! I embrace shrinkage! I’m really not concerned with length goals so seeing my length isn’t a priority to me. Don’t get me wrong, I fully enjoy my mid back hair straightened, but it isn’t a priority to always see the length. I love my shrinkage because of the volume it gives me!

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
C:
The crown of my hair tends to be of a more coarse texture than the rest of my hair. When styling, this section requires more attention than the rest.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
C:
DO moisturize. I can’t stress the importance of this step. Be very conscientious of the ingredients you are placing on your hair. Make sure that the ingredients are those that retain moisture and not deplete it. DO deep condition. My texture can begin to look a little dull and limp without a regular deep conditioning session.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
C:
DON’T use a fine tooth comb. Due to the circumference of my curls (they’re quite large) I can’t use very many styling tools as they will literally rip the hair from my scalp. DON’T keep your hands in your hair. I know most people idly play in their own hair throughout the day. However, simply twirling my hair will increase the curl to the point of tangles. I must remember to keep my hands away from my hair.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
C:
You can find me on my YouTube channel, which includes all the latest info on where to find me on the web. SOON, it will include info about my upcoming blog! The link is as follows: https://www.youtube.com/user/lovelytootychels.

About Meosha

Colalover

Well you got that GOOD hair girl!

Nappy 4C Rocks
Nappy 4C Rocks
Reply to  Colalover

lol oh Lord

Rae
Rae
Reply to  Colalover

Can black women please explain what’s wrong with telling another black woman she has good hair? Is it NOT a compliment? I swear black people get offended per the dumbest things!
Btw this beautiful girl does have a head of good gorgeous hair ! 🙂

Michelle
Michelle
Reply to  Rae

She does have a head of gorgeous hair. Adding the “good” in implies that there are other people who have “bad” or “less-than-good” hair. Why take the step back?

Gena
Gena
Reply to  Michelle

but then adding the word “gorgeous” implies that other people have “non-gorgeous” or “unattractive” hair?
I’m just saying either way you give a complement, it may imply something about others that really is not what the complementor implied.

Candice
Candice
Reply to  Gena

Please don’t play stupid. Everyone on this site knows what “good hair” is supposed to mean. And it’s not a compliment. It’s actually a back-handed insult to everyone person who DOESN’T have hair like hers, who are being excluded from “good hair” and by definition of that exclusion have “bad hair.” Do some hair types take more care to manage? Yes. Does that make them bad or less beautiful? Of course not! I’ve also noticed that hair in the 3 range lacks some of the style versatility that 4a‑c has. I have yet to see a woman on this site… Read more »

Gena
Gena
Reply to  Gena

I’m not playing stupid. And I certainly am not stupid. My point is why not take something that used to be negative and make it positive. There was once a time that no one would look at a type 4 hair woman and tell her that she has “good hair” but those times have changed. I have daughters with type 4 hair (no curls just kinks and coils) and I always tell them that they have good hair. Because they do. I tell them this to take what used to be negative and make it positive, if anyone was to… Read more »

Rae
Rae
Reply to  Gena

Yep here we go again with black people getting offending -.- I think 4a- c hair is good hair too! Which is what I have!

gigi
gigi
Reply to  Rae

it’s the just phrasing that’s freaking people out. It hearkens back to that bygone era… truth is Chelsea DOES have that good hair! and frankly, EVERYbody has ‘that good hair’! She’s taking care of hers & it’s healthy! so it’s good, in fact great! lol can we just take a moment & chill? haha

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH
Reply to  Rae

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT BEING HEALTHY AND EVERY THING TO WITH IT BEING VERY CURLY LETS BE REAL HAIR. IF SHE DIDN’T MEAN IT THAT WAY SHE WOULDN’T HAD EMPHASIZED THE WORD GOOD.

Yea
Yea
Reply to  Colalover

I was thinking the same thing lol(whoever thumbs down has bad hair problems)

Kelcie
Kelcie

Looks good!!! I enjoy these interviews no matter the texture or curl pattern. I’m in love with hair no matter how one decides to wear it.

Stace
Stace

Those lips are a distraction…forgot to look at the hair sometimes…

Sheena M
Sheena M
Reply to  Stace

YASS!!! And she is rocking the mess outta those reds, pinks, and purples! Im sooo jealous!

Sassy24
Sassy24

Pretty

alice
alice

love your hair. its big and bouncy. and yes Stace, those lips..gorgeous. love the lipsticks.

Alisha

What a doll!

kan
kan

Your curls are my idea of perfection! Lovely hair!

Christina
Christina

As soon as I saw Chelsea’s hair I knew the comments were going to head into the good/bad hair debate.
Those of us with Type 3 hair appreciate seeing hair that we can relate to because it’s very seldom showcased. It seems that more often than not, the Type 4’s get the attention, but that just may be my perception. Many times I’ve heard ladies pretty much disregard Type 3’s complaints about their struggles during transition or the maintenance of their natural hair. Just because our hair is different doesn’t mean that our concerns are any less valid.

Bee
Bee
Reply to  Christina

Very seldom showcased? Tons of tumblrs, youtube channels and blogs showcase curly and type 3 hair. It’s far from left out.

cacey
cacey
Reply to  Christina

I would definitely not say it doesn’t get showcased often (but then again you wrote this a year ago, and i think BGLH has balanced it out since then). I don’t mind viewing type 4 more though because i do think that in general type 3 is more visible in the natural hair community. I guess it boils down to perception, though

jasmine
jasmine

yep! Those lips is killing it! great color choices!

D.K.

Nice hair, girl. Like how you realized you needed to get back to where you were once you no longer had your volume post relaxer.

vertmoot.blogspot.com

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH

TIRED OF TYPE 3 HAIR WHERE’S THE KINKY HAIR GIRLS AT

ema
ema
Reply to  TINA SMITH

This is so mean. If somebody would write your exact same word, but about type 4 hair, the gates of hell would be open here on the comment section.

Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody
Reply to  TINA SMITH

The kinky girls are all over BGLH. Open your eyes.

J202
J202
Reply to  TINA SMITH

I have kinky hair and our hair is showcased all over the place! Meanwhile, I’ve been struggling to find enough people that have 3B hair to help my little sister through her transition

Terri Magee
Terri Magee
Reply to  J202

I see where you’re coming from but if you do read what a lot of the 3 types say, they have the simplest regimens. Maybe because of this many don’t think to share their journeys as much as 4 types who feel that their regimen could help someone else who is struggling with a transition, journey or doesn’t know what to use in their hair. Quite a few 3 icons seemed to use very accessible products and mainstream products too. To help your sister, it’s probably easier to google or ask one of the 3s you see on tumblr, instagram… Read more »

ema
ema

she has beautifil hair 🙂

jjac401
jjac401

What an absolutely gorgeous head of curly hair! Thanks for sharing your routine with us!

Writedeeva
Writedeeva

Go Chelsea! I’m so proud of you and you inspiring me to continue this journey to becoming completely natural. Lovin’ my bantu knots!
Chels, You ARE indeed a style icon! Look forward to seeing you on more blogs and contributing to major magazines and television programs in the future, Mrs. Hairisalldat! 😉

Anon
Anon

Actually they have done the same number of type 3s and type 4s. its just recently been a string of type 3s which makes it catch up with the number of type 4s.

80sbabee

You look amazing!!!Loving every bit of it!!!

Chat
Chat

Gawjus!!

steel magnolia
steel magnolia

What beautiful lips & hair!

NZinga Dee

Sistah is gorgeous and love her hair but I’m sooo over this hair type/category s@@@..to me, it’s just another artificial & manufactured way to separate us and create ANOTHER heirarchy of ‘better than’. All hair textures are ‘good’by default–if it’s good enough for God , then damnit, what’s yo’ problem with it?

Dee
Dee

added to my list of hair crushes,she has awesome hair!
love it