Aprille // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Jul 14, 2013

photo copy 2

Introduce yourself!
A:
Hey guys! My name is Aprille, but I go by lala… For the time being I reside in South Florida, and I work as a pastry chef.

How long have you been natural?
A:
I made one year natural on May 15th, 2013! *diddy bops*

How and why did you transition into natural hair?
A:
I have no patience so I didn’t transition. I just chopped it off into a Rihanna cut and two months later I took a pair of scissors and chopped the rest off in my bathroom! I decided to go natural because I was a victim of a bad relaxer. It broke off the ENTIRE middle of my hair. I put braids in my hair while I decided what to do and I told myself that I was going to cut it all off when I took the braids out. When I cut my hair, I felt so free and alive. I have NEVER been more in love with my hair. I am so obsessed with keeping my hair healthy and trying new things. Whereas when I was relaxed I always wanted it bone straight. As I got older I wanted a bump at the end, then more volume, and eventually…snip snip! BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE!!

What are your must-have products for shampooing, conditioning and styling your hair?
A:
I’m a product junkie, it’s really bad…lol. I use Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint Castile Soap or Bragg’s ACV once a month to clarify. I usually don’t get a lot of buildup, but I still use a clarifier once a month because your hair can never be TOO clean! I use Aussie Moist Conditioner or Herbal Essences Hello Hydration as my conditioners. I co wash once a week, or as needed with my As I Am Coconut Co Wash if my hair feels dry. I deep condition my hair EVERY WEEK. I make my own DC’s with my regular conditioners as a base, then I just add my oils and honey.

image-3

When I first cut my hair I was all about wash and go’s, but now I do twist outs and chiney bumps (bantu knots)…I’m Jamaican and we say chiney bumps (which makes no sense because I have yet to see a chiney person bump their hair.) lol It really has been trial and error in finding styles because shrinkage likes to be raggedy and won’t let me be great. Also, I try my hardest to finger detangle because my curls are so coily and tight so they snag easily, but I succumb to a wide tooth comb from time to time. My hair is 3C/4A, all over.

You play up your hair and outfits with the cutest accessories. What advice would you give someone who is newly natural and wants to give their TWA a boost?
A:
I never thought I could pull off the short hair look so it was all new to me and I felt like a little boy at first. I love scarves!! I usually wrap my hair up or I use them as a headband. Hair accessories make a WORLD of a difference! Also, spruce up your look a little with a pop of color, or wear a statement piece (jewelry). It is all about confidence and as long as YOU look in the mirror and say “GIRL, YES”, that really is all it takes…and that is all that matters!

Did going natural affect your style choices at all?
A:
Yes and no. No because my style was always kind of “out there” to begin with. I love bright colors, wild patterns, structure and peculiar pieces. Yes because it has forced me to go one step over my comfort zone with certain things. As I grow my style does, so it is constantly changing, although I think I am stuck in the 80’s, fashion wise. lol My motto is “dress to express, not to impress” and I hold true to that!

What are the three favorite things in your closet?
A:
Hmmm, I have this beautiful silk Versace shirt that I thrifted, my summer dresses (which I love because they are actually long on me…I’m tall), and my Steve Madden combat boots.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
A:
Instagram: slimtinglala
Tumblr: lalasweetrealm.tumblr.com
Blog: kinkscurlsandpearls.blogspot.com
Twitter: slimbrownin

About Meosha

zyaran
zyaran

Wow you so very pretty in every pic with all that gorgeous hair, and those eyebrows are on point :). On a side note, you have definitely got to give up some tips on your diet/workout regime because your body looks great as well lol… I definitely need to work out more, thinking about trying the “Insanity by Shaun T”

Aprille McIntosh
Aprille McIntosh
Reply to  zyaran

Katrina
Katrina
Reply to  zyaran

zyaran that insanity is NO JOKE. had me dying on the warm up! lol good luck to ya girl

Aprille McIntosh
Aprille McIntosh

@zyaran Thank you very much! I work out about 4 to 5 times a week for about an hour or two. Diet, not so much lol.. I try to eat healthy, I cut out fast foods and drink water way more than I used to. Its a process but I am getting there!

keisha
keisha

beautiful woman, hair and body! yes to all of that!!! I def need to up my workout game!

ABE
ABE

ha same name, same hair texture except my name is spelled Apral

Nubiahbella
Nubiahbella

Lovely girl and hair. I like how she plays up with different hairstyles.
By the way I am enjoying seeing shorter natural hair.

Chat
Chat

You are my hair twin! Texture and legnth. Btw, you are gorgeous! I may have overlooked the answer, but what styling products do you use?

Aprille McIntosh
Aprille McIntosh
Reply to  Chat

Thank you! I do an ACV wash once a month but I co wash every week (as needed) with my “As I Am” coconut cowash or with regular conditioner (tea tree tingle or CURLS coconut curlada). Leave ins (kinky curly “knot today” or giovannis direct).
Oils (coconut, jamaican black castor, EVOO, tea tree, almond) DC’s (I make my own and use my conditioners as a base).. I hope that helps! (:

AnonSince87
AnonSince87

Nice to hear the chronicles of someone relatively newin their journey!

Chiney bumps! Old skool lol. Brings back memories; we used to call it that in the UK too. Come to think of it, I think it was only used by those of Jamaican descent lol. I had no idea it was a Jamaican term & I’m from a Jamaican background lol.

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  AnonSince87

Chiney bumps is very familiar to me too, it’s a Caribbean thing. I’m inclined to believe that Chiney has references to our ancestors then the Chinese, not sure how though.

Jessica
Jessica

I loved this feature! We have the same curl pattern and length at the moment and Aussie Moist is part of my holy grail as well.…
.… Those eyebrows tho!!

lauryn
lauryn

its so nice to see another natural with short hair being featured… very motivating for me since im early in my journey (7 months) and ive been wondering how i would style my hair once i take my senegalese twists out.

Nkem
Nkem

YOU ARE GAWJUSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WERK!!!!

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

You’re very beautiful! I like your hair and nose.

Umarie
Umarie

you’re so cool! 😀 i love everything about you but what really sold me on your awesomeness was the minnie mouse ears ^^

Love JAH
Love JAH

Adorable!!!…plus she’s my hair twin!

Camillia
Camillia

Very pretty lady and hair! And the skin is FLAWLESS!!!

A
A

Beautiful!!!

Aprille McIntosh
Aprille McIntosh

Thank you so much ladies, I genuinely appreciate the compliments! <3

Samantha
Samantha

As long as you look in the mirror and say GIRL YES!!!!” YES!!!!

Candice
Candice

So glad to see BGLH highlighting women who are at the beginning of their journey. This stage in my hair growth about two years ago when my hair kept growing OUT before it started growing DOWN was honestly the most difficult for me as a natural. Too short to put in a bun, too long to just be a TWA. I would have loved back then to have seen someone looking this beautiful with my hair length, because maybe then I wouldn’t have struggled so hard to see the beauty in myself.

AGrlCanMAC

Finally, a kurly I can call my hair twin! Based off of the pictures, my hair looks just like yours in its wet and dry state. 😀 Gorgeous hair, lady.

Aprille McIntosh
Aprille McIntosh

I also just started a youtube channel guys so I’d love you lovely naturals to subscribe and join me on my natural hair journey! (:

Abi
Abi

Yay! I love your hair — it’s literally just like mine.

Ashley
Ashley

Omg I love your hair it resemble mine somewhat!!!