5 Reasons Wash and Go’s Don’t Work on Some Natural Hair

Avatar • Jul 11, 2013

washandgo

In the natural world, it is very common to hear how hair is diverse and how it can do everything from a wash and go to perfect pin straight hair. In my view and experience, this is true for some hair but seriously misleading for others.

Many people desire to do a wash and go, on the surface of it seems simple and easy, condition, finger detangle and go.…..right? Wrong, the truth is some hair (especially that in the longer type 4 section) really does not do well with a wash and go.  For some of us, myself included, wash and go’s are a recipe for serious tangling and breakage. I think people like to debate whether it is the case that a shrunken type 4 hair style is attractive or not but this is not my point. I am saying that if your goal is long hair, then for some naturals chosing to NEVER wash and go is the way forward.

Whenever I say this, many people cite youtuber cynthiarf as an example of how wash and go’s work well on type 4 hair, so today I will compare how her hair behaves in contrast to the ever popular video of glamfun who is an example of type 4 hair that really does not care for wash and gos.

1. You have serious shrinkage

-Glamfun’s hair shrinks when wet and continues to shrink significantly as it dries uncontrolled (0:20)

- Cynthiarf’s hair really does not look majorly different when it is wet and when it is dry. There is some shrinkage but really not that much (8:16 — video below)

The story with shrinkage is that the curl within the hair is essentially becoming tighter. The strands have a high change of meeting and tangling with each other due to the reduction in hair volume. Therefore, the higher the shrinkage, the tighter the curl and the higher the chance of tangling.

2. You hair does not clump uniformly.….ever

- Cynthiarf’s hair has a mass of small and very clear clumped curls when wet and when dry. They are clear and present all over her head.

- Glamfun’s hair has some clumps in some regions (a few ends) but is generally never forming a clumped curl from root to tip

Clumping curls are a great way to protect individual hair strands by forming a larger stronger unit instead of leaving each strand having to withstand combing or manipulation. If your hair does not clump, then every strand has to withstand manipulation on its own making it more susceptible to breakage

3. Your hair has a love — hate relationship with water

- Cynthiarf clearly states in her video that her hair requires water at least every day or once every other day.

- Glamfun’s hair on the other hand shrinks severely when exposed to water

Water is essential to give hair moisture and flexibility. However, for some hair, applying water daily to hair only increases the chances or hair meshing due to shrinkage. Other people can apply water and water containing products on a daily basis, but those with the meshing issue, need to try to stretch it out to every 3–4 days or once a week.

4. Your hair is fine and fragile (i.e you tend to hear your hair pop when detangling)

- This is not covered in the videos but if your individual hair strands are fine and tend to snap easily do pay attention.

If your hair has ALL the 3 previous attributes of hair that does not like wash and go’s AND is also fine, then you are highly likely to be the most susceptible to tangling and breakage. It is not really the case that your hair is inherently fragile, it is just the case that the finer strands require super careful handling especially when wet.

5. Products do not make a major difference to your hair

- In Cynthiarf’s video she really talks about how certain products work well for her

In my experience, some hair really does not care that much for product. It will generally not behave differently whether you use an intense moisturising natural conditioner or indeed a simple store bought conditioner. It becomes more obvious with leave in conditioners and for some hair skipping a leave in and using oil is fine or you can play around with several leave ins and find that there is no major difference. You will sometimes find people advising a clarifying treatment or a protein conditioner  or a porosity treatment to try to get hair to ‘react’ to a product. However, the likely fact is that your hair is fine (provided you have a clean scalp and no build up) and is actually just not that picky ingredient wise.

The bottom line is that some hair really does not do well in terms of tangling and breakage when it comes to wash and go’s. If you are keen to grow your hair longer, you need to pay attention to this, it is not really about the aesthetics of the style which is a subject of personal taste.

Ladies what have your experiences been with wash and go’s? Do they work for you or no?

About The Natural Haven

Scientist on a hairy mission!

Courtney
Courtney

I LOVE HER she is hilarious.

Shi
Shi

I love this video. I saw it almost a month ago or so. My hair does the same thing her hair does, so now I just wear a twist-out and I am loving it. Wash and go will NEVER work on my hair and I have come to terms with that. As for Kinky Curly…let’s just say I do not think it is for my hair…:)

Candice
Candice

I am 1, 3 and 4. If I do a wash n go, I get a really cute little fro (my hair is shoulder length–that’s how much shrinkage I’m talking about). But trust, but the end of the day, I can’t get a finger or comb through my hair without completely rewetting it and detangling all over again. No one has time for that every day! Sometimes, if I have to leave the house right after washing my hair, I make sure I’m not gone long enough for it to completely dry so I still have time to twist it,… Read more »

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu

a lot of ppl commented she may have put on too much gel. If you think you could be heavy handed, try to use a little less gel than you’re normally comfortable with, and see if that makes a difference.

Renee
Renee

I have been natural since 2007 and I have not been able to achieve a wash and go. I have different textures all over my head and some sections do not form a defined curl, when other sections do. My hair is probably 3C to 4B/C, with the center section being the thickest, least manageable, tightest curled section. I do have ringlets there, but they are so tight compared to my looser 3C ringlets in other sections. Since I couldn’t figure out how to have a uniform wash and go, or even a uniform afro, I just gave on up… Read more »

Erica
Erica

I don’t do washngos because of major shrinkage and tangling. I like how it looks but isn’t worth the aftermath.

Renny Vonne
Renny Vonne

It took a long, sad realization that wash and gos are not for everyone, especially my very kinky 4c hair. Sometimes we naturals get caught up in what looks good on everyone else’s hair, that we lose sight about the capabilities of our own hair. Wash and gos DO NOT WORK ON NAPPY HAIR LADIES. Save the gel, and just go about your nice twist outs lol

Reply to  Renny Vonne

so sad…

Dy
Dy

I have been natural since 2009 and as of yet have not mastered a wash and go. They just don’t seem to work for my hair. I have, almost, waist length hair that doesn’t shrink too much after washing. I am guessing because it’s so heavy, but I have so many different textures I can’t even classify my hair, but one thing I can count on is my hair tangling, which is a serious issue. Also, as mentioned above, my hair is the type that no matter what, it just doesn’t react strongly to products, even oils. It’s like my… Read more »

who do you think you are?
who do you think you are?

Wash and go’s are for whomever wants to do a wash and go.
It’s mighty arrogant to think one the authority to to decide what hairstyles are appropriate for which hair types, don’t you think? Haven’t we spent the past 400 years hearing that our hair isn’t good enough for public consumption? If someone has embraced her texture and wants to wear her hair AS-IS without being consumed by thoughts of shrinkage or whatever comes along with that hair style, what exactly is the problem?

Betty Collier

So true ‚it really doesn’t matter the shrinkage if you are into keeping it real, however for me i have the same type hair and decided to naturally relax my hair by doing a sistah loc’I am loving it and the freedom that goes along with it’

T.
T.

Why are you immediately on the defensive. The piece isn’t about whether wash and gos produce a result that is fit for public consumption. The author says: For some of us, myself included, wash and go’s are a recipe for serious tangling and breakage. I think people like to debate whether it is the case that a shrunken type 4 hair style is attractive or not but *this is not my point.* All she’s saying is that wash and gos can cause tangling and breakage on some hair types, which may be a problem for people who want to grow their… Read more »

Reply to  T.

the author may not have said it explicitly be its inferred big time from the video that this post is centered around. “wash and gos are for nappy hair” inferring its for other hair textures, types

Reply to  gapch

are = arent

T.
T.
Reply to  gapch

Yeah, but the author of the article isn’t the person who made the video. She’s just explaining the some of the reasons for what the video maker experienced, and how different types of natural hair have different qualities that produce different results with a WNG. Also, she isn’t saying WNGs aren’t for nappy hair because of appearance/aesthetics — she’s saying that on some kinds of hair, WNGs may cause tangling and breakage and be a hindrance to length retention for people who want to grow their hair long. There’s absolutely nothing in the article that says people can’t wear their nappy/curly/kinky hair… Read more »

cb
cb

you are missing the point of the article…go back and read it again

silkynaps
silkynaps

First off, the wash and go as demonstrated on countless youtube videos are anything but washing and going. Most of those ladies are still falling for the hype of elongation and curl patterns. Of course, it won’t work on your hair if you’re consumed by the thought of trying to make your hair look like something it’s not. Wash and go’s are for those that enjoy their hair. Their own texture and curls…or lack thereof. Wash and go’s are for nappy hair if that what you want. However, wash and go’s are not for people with type 4 coils that… Read more »

Khanyi
Khanyi
Reply to  silkynaps

Thank you I am 4D and sometimes(many times) I go under the shower and just go with my WNG.It forms a unique nappy style after a wash n I simply go with it shrinkage and all. I came too far, I hated my hair but I have accepted it now I’m learning to love it and I’m getting there.

Reply to  silkynaps

well said

Kgc
Kgc
Reply to  silkynaps

wash and go’s are not for people with type 4 coils that think they can create a type 3 curl, by slapping gel upside their head.”.….So I guess twist outs aren’t for type 4 hair either because it basically mimics looser hair types?

Kami
Kami

My problem with wash n gos for my hair is that my hair can literally take up to 48 hours to dry and since 2nd day wash n gos require hair to be dry before putting it up at night, that is physically impossible for me regardless of if I wash my hair in the morning or at night.

Melissa
Melissa

I tried a WNG but I have to deal with the tangles. IMO, it worked when my hair was shorter. I accept my 4C hair. Been natural for 5 years and I am still learning about my hair. My hair will tangle regardless, even if I detangle it with a conditioner and apply a leave in, it will tangle up again. I two strand twist it and braid it to stretch out my hair and trim my ends every 2–3 months. I just want healthy thick hair. If it gets longer cool but if it doesn’t, I am cool with… Read more »

Jennifer Kennedy

I love wash-and-gos.

But, I just don’t do them on my hair.

My hair becomes a hot matted mess if I do them! And, my hair has different textures. So, while the back will be nice and curly, the front just looks crazy.

I stick to twist outs.

Yas
Yas

Girl, I know that’s right! I’ll never do it again. I have type 4a/4b hair. WnG is a no-no for any type 4 with more than 2 inches of hair. WnG is okay for short hair (I loved them when my hair was shorter), but when your hair gets long, you’re going to have to cancel that. I tried to pull a “wash n go” on Sunday because I was “pressed for time” and now I seriously regret it. I had detangled my hair prior to washing because I had just removed my senegalese twists. My hair looked cute at… Read more »

Ms VEE
Ms VEE
Reply to  Yas

Thanks for the infor Yas. My hair is APL and I thought I would try a wash n go and it washed and went. Its nice when its wet but lawd ha mercy when it dries. lol. It becomes Afro puffs everywhere. I tried to follow the sisters on you tube and my hair wasn’t having it lol. Dont mention the nightmare of Sunday morning. I missed Sunday school fighting with my hair and She won. I stick to my twist-outs and braids and just admire the wash n go’s my other sisters can rock. Unfortunately, its not for me.

TyM
TyM

If I couldn’t do wash and gos I would have given up on this natural journey a long time ago. I really have to give it to you ladies who twist your hair daily. I have no idea how you can do that much work on daily or even weekly basis, I guess I’m just lazy.

jsu4evr
jsu4evr

I had some seriously beautiful wng’s when my hair was shorter.…with pictures to prove it. Here’s the thing, though, when it starts to dry it goes from a wash-n-go to a serious ‘fro! lol I still do them, but I just wear it with the understanding that at the end of the day, it will be a fro. I wear that a few days, then turn it into a puff. I don’t have the kind of time (or make the time) in the morning that allows for the re-wetting and detangling.

Amber
Amber

The is a 6th reason wash and go’s might not work. If you have more than one type of curl pattern. I have 3–4 different curl patterns in my head. So, some of my hair shrinks and some if it doesn’t. As it grows the parts that shrink still shrinks to pretty much the same “with” but the rest of it just falls flat against my face.

honeybrown1976
honeybrown1976
Reply to  Amber

Yes! I have parts that are 3c and 4a with a touch of 4b. WNGs aren’t going to ever happen.

Tabatha
Tabatha

Yes I am a poor soul that can’t do a wash and go. The only time I can even come close is if my hair is in cornrows or other braids. Any other time its a no go my hair clumps up and just won’t release. I have to really use leave in conditioner. So I just lightly blow dry half way then air dry the rest.

cho10
cho10

I love this article. It really drives me crazy when people say ANYONE can do a wng. Yes, in THEORY but if you have to spend 5 hours (literally) detangling your hair the next day just to be able to say you washed it and walked out the door, it’s not worth it.

Jesse
Jesse

I did wash and go’s on my 4c hair exclusively for the first two years that I was natural. At the time, I didn’t know better. My hair would get absolutely matted and tangled. Now, I always stretch my hair after washing it (curlformers, braids, twists). Stretched styles can last for days and even survive sleeping at night. Have you ever tried sleeping on a wash n go? LMAO! I did plenty of times in the past, and I woke up looking like a damn cone-head every. single. time. Wash n’ gos don’t work on 4c hair!

honeybrown1976
honeybrown1976

I love seeing them on other people. But, for me, it’s a no-go. I have near-MBL (probably already MBL — but I only check once a year) and the thought of the tangling is not appealing. Also, my hair does have a love-hair relationship with water. It loves moisture; but, it after a while, it stiffens quickly.

So, I’ll keep living vicariously through others. I am content with buns, twist-outs, braid-outs, and any other “outs” that can be created.

Khanyi
Khanyi
Reply to  honeybrown1976

Your hair sounds like mine no matter how much I moisturise it stiffens later mine is even worse that I did a DC yesterday, applied olive oil and coconut but as we speak its as dry as the Sahara desert!!!! What’s a frurastred woman got to do.Thinking of just chopping it off to maintaian TWA’s all my life *Sigh

Ashley
Ashley
Reply to  Khanyi

Don’t give up now! Keep experimenting, especially with deep treatments. Olive oil and coconut oil do not provide moisture anyway (no oils do). They just help to seal in whatever moisture is present, and if your hair is dry anyway, oils might not do much as is. I’ve stopped doing just hot oil treatments, because they don’t usually do much for my hair on their own. I always combine oils with conditioners when DCing. Works like a charm for me.

Khanyi
Khanyi
Reply to  Ashley

Thank you Ashley, Natural hair is serious business though 🙂

biancarichards
biancarichards
Reply to  Ashley

I’m a transitioned BSL 3c-4a something, and i find that doing 2 times a week a greek yogurt&oils mask has improve seriously the moisture and less tangles. I’m currently using KCKT as a daily moisturizer after spritzing with aloe vera and water then sealing with jojoba or argan oil has made a huge improvement. I’m really loving jojoba or monoi oil.

deb
deb
Reply to  Khanyi

if you are doing all that and still have dry hair, look into your health. are you dealing with constipation? thyroid issues?

deb
deb
Reply to  Khanyi

also if you live in an area with really hard water, it will reflect in your hair.

dawn
dawn
Reply to  Khanyi

could it be the oil? i’ve found that no matter what kinda oil i use it dries out my hair and makes my scalp itch. sometimes oil is the culprit, even tho i know that’s taboo to say on here lol

Michelle
Michelle

I think you can do wash and gos if you have more of a unified texture throughout your hair. If you have multi-textured hair sporadically in different parts of your hair, it just never looks uniform, atleast not for me.

deb
deb
Reply to  Michelle

didn’t know they even had to be unified..

Reply to  deb

good point

LaFemmeRouge
LaFemmeRouge

OK, I guess I am the exception. I classify myself in the 4a/b category, and I have no problem doing Wng. I use to do twist outs, but once I realized that my 2nd day twist-out looked the same as a Day 1 WnG, I decided why bother with the time it takes for me to twist my hair, wait for it to dry completely, then release the twists? I have been natural for 3 years, with one major cut during this time, but honestly, WnGs have been a time saver the past 6 months. I work out 4 days… Read more »

mlank64
mlank64
Reply to  LaFemmeRouge

LaFemmeRouge, you sound like me. I love all hairstlyes, but, I have the type of hair in which my twist outs look like wash n gos, so why bother. Plus, my ends were getting frayed with twists and I would have to twist daily because I desired the pattern from the twist and it was making my ends break off. So, I stick with wash n gos for the most part. Plus I workout and its just more condusive for my lifestyle. I do agree with the article, aesthetics aside.…if wash and gos creates a tangle mess resulting in hair… Read more »

crimsonpeach
crimsonpeach

*praise dances* Reasons 2–4 are the exact reasons why I can’t wash and go. It isn’t because “I’m not comfortable with my natural texture” or “I’m chasing a ‘curl’ ”. After I big chopped, I would wash and fro everyday. Wash, condition, moisturize, seal. Rocked the my mini-fro with pride. After getting 5 inches of hair, tangles ruined everything. I would kill to wash and fro again. I tried again just to see if I could and ended up crying at all the breakage. Never again. Steam is even problematic when I’m wearing “out” styles. I must cover my hair in… Read more »

Dena1908
Dena1908

I’ve been natural for one year and have only worn wash-n-go’s. It’s easy no fuss no muss. However, I do think it is easier to wear for those with a looser curl/wave pattern. My hair is more 2c/3a so I have a much looser pattern than most naturals. My hair also craves water & doesn’t tangle so wash-n-go’s are ideal for me. My key recommendation is to make sure your hair is moisturized.

Charlotte

Once again a topic I am very touchy about.…This is me. My hair is fine and fragile and cannot stand the tension of braids, unless my hair is 100% dry, the braid is extremely loose, and my hair is coated with a rich oil like coconut oil. My hair also is so loosely curled that it only shrinks an inch or two above the length it stretches to, though it is longer when wet and stretched. Wash and go’s have a negative connotation because of wording and perception. If all you do is get in the shower, detangle, slap on… Read more »

Michelle
Michelle

Wash n gos are BAD for my hair along with braid-outs and twist-outs apparently. Well, to be fair, as long as there is no hint of moisture in the air braid-outs and twist-outs look great but if the rain barely sprinkles, then it’s all over.

The detangling session the night following my day of a wash n go was no fun, I cried because it was so frustrating. So NO wash n gos!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/20121118-SundayMorning1stattempt‑B.jpg[/img]

herlucidsKy

I agree that the wash n go may not work for some(by choice) due to the havoc that it can wreck on the hair. But I also believe that anyone can achieve a wash n go if their concern is convenience over anything else. My sister has what some like to refer to as “type 4” hair and it is extremely dry, brittle course hair without product, that naturally looks as though it has been blown or stretched out somehow. She literally washes her hair, sometimes condition it, may leave some conditioner in her hair and she will just leave… Read more »

herlucidsKy
Reply to  herlucidsKy

*wreak* not wreck

K
K

Love wash n gos!

My hair loves water, doesn’t tangle, is low-porosity, hates most product, water-based leave-ins and conditioners do nothing for me, deep treatments are a waste of time and protein and gel is pure evil on my hair. My hair likes oil but only some are good, my wng needs a humectant to keep it from drying out in a few hours.

it’s nice that we learn more and more about each others’ hair beyond some random hair type system.

NatrhoallyBrit
NatrhoallyBrit

I have been natural for 6 years this month and wash and go’s are a staple for me. Conditioner only depending on the weather and how tame I want my hair at the time because of course my hair can get pretty big but defined regardless. I do understand the frustration because 6 years ago I had no idea what worked or didn’t but I didn’t give up. One day I looked in the mirror and was just satisfied with my hair and I figured out what worked best for my curls. Wash & go’s are not for everyone but… Read more »

Smallfro
Smallfro

I have 4a hair. I think because of the uniform texture, I can wear a wash n go. It just takes forever to dry. Air drying is 2 days, so I have to sit under dryer or diffuse. My detangling may take an additional 5 minutes, but that is much shorter than the time to twist. My problem is it only last 2–3 days and I have to re-do it. I do not always have the time mid week to re-do my hair due to the drying problem. So it’s usually a twist out or braid out, can always get… Read more »

NatrhoallyBrit
NatrhoallyBrit

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/image-23.jpg[/img]

Kesha
Kesha

It’s funny because I was just thinking about this the other day. I have 4b type hair. It is also low density, and shrinks like crazy. My hair loves moisture and product with the exception of most gels. I’d say my hair is about APL. I just had an excellent hair week doing a modified wash and go. I cowashed, conditioned, detangled, applied leave in. Then instead of letting my hair dry completely loose, I pulled it back in two large sections with claw clips. This left me with two afro ponytail puffs at the nape of my neck that… Read more »

Raven

My hair tangles and gets SSK’s if I try to do a wash n go. In fact, my hair only likes to be out every now and then. Usually, I wear my hair in protective styles. I used to try do a wash n go, but the longer my hair gets, the more I realize that it is not a style for me. I love my type 4a spring curls/coils.

AGrlCanMAC

I like that one of the commenters called it a “wash and set” instead since sometimes more work is involved then plopping on conditioner and you’re out the door. When I had a twa, I literally did wash and go. I’d put some leave in conditioner and quickly rake some gel through and I was good to go. Four years later, I don’t do wash n go’s anymore. Once every summer I’ll do a “wash n set” where I rake conditioner and gel through my hair with my fingers in sections, just to change things up. They’re just really not… Read more »

gapch

If the person in the video would’ve left alone the eco styler gel and added some leave in conditioner and forked out a fro or leave in and let it alone to shape into a shrunken fro she would’ve been alright. its okay to have a wash and fro but the title should be gel and curl enhancing products arent going to give you curls thats you dont already have. gel does not work for many people.… wash and fros, wash and shrunken twa, wash and coils, wash and waves, wash and curls, wash and straigh hair will work and… Read more »

JENNID
JENNID
Reply to  gapch

Good thoughts. I have the same hair type as the woman in the video and I wash n go sometimes if the mood strikes me to. No gel or curl products just some leave in and oil to keep it soft. I usually do a wash no go if I am short on time but still have to wash my hair that day cause its just dirty or its crazy hot out and cool wet short hair feels awesome. Are the tangles and knots crazy? Uh yea, but not so much so that that the expeience is tramatic. You simply… Read more »

Reply to  JENNID

well said

mlank64
mlank64
Reply to  gapch

I think the article pointed out clearly it is not about aesthetics its about the results of a wash and go and the impending loss of hair due to detangling etc.

For some of us, myself included, wash and go’s are a recipe for serious tangling and breakage. I think people like to debate whether it is the case that a shrunken type 4 hair style is attractive or not but this is not my point. ”

Reply to  mlank64

the video clearly is about the girl not liking the way her hair looked when it was done and stated “wash and gos are not for nappy hair.” nappy tends to refer to the “aesthetics” of hair.

regardless, as i stated “wash and gos are not for everybody.” also there are ways to avoid excessive detangling and breakage.

cho10
cho10
Reply to  gapch

I can say from personal experience that the tangles and breakage after a wash and go are a traumatic experience for my hair. Everyone’s hair is different and your hair may not tangle that badly with a wash and go but my hair becomes very, very hard, wiry and so tangled that just to part it with my hands physically hurts my scalp. I’m not trying to exaggerate just pointing out that some people really cannot do a wash and go not because of how it looks but because it damages our hair just as some people can use heat… Read more »

Reply to  cho10

i can understand that. no arguments from me on that point. i know many tender headed individuals including my niece and i will swear by detangling spray, patience and a light hand to help ease the aches if and when one has to detangle. my niece is an extreme case as well but ive taken my time and detangled her hair and show my sister tips and shes so much better now… still tender headed but better. spray little it sit for a couple seconds and its work. also many women swear by coconut oil and other oils to help… Read more »

Jc
Jc
Reply to  gapch

I have already done a previous post on different type 4 appearances for wash and gos .….….….http://bglh-marketplace.com/2013/04/wash-and-gos-for-4b-and-4c-hair/

Also, I think detangling sprays are overrated. For many of us who end up with the super shrunken afro, we know that it will be hours of detangling and a lot of patience necessary to minimise breakage.

LBell
LBell

Jc, you know I love you but when I saw you were going to bring up cynthiarf I was ready to fight, lol. Fortunately I read through the entire post and once again you’re right on the money. Plus, your argument bolsters what (thanks in very large part to cynthiarf) I have learned about WNGs and my own hair after 16 years of assuming that WNGs were not possible for me past about 4 inches. Now that I know how to keep my clumping coil pattern past that length I wear WNGs on a regular basis. I do use Sprangz to… Read more »

Kay
Kay

my hair absolutely hates wash and gos it just shrinks up and makes my hair dry and hard no matter how much product I apply my hair is super cute when wet but the end result is a mess and detangaling become the devil not to mention all the ssk’s

Reply to  Kay

avoid gel and curl defining products and soften it with just a moisturizing leave in conditioner alone. it may be becoming too hard from excessive products that are taking away moisture. also try using a detangling spray when detangling

deb
deb

this post and people saying they don’t work because they don’t meet the desired“look” of what a wash n go is in people’s minds and in the natural community.

deb
deb
Reply to  deb

I’m not talking about those that deal with knots and problems after. These videos focus on their hair not having a desired WNG look and therefore seen as disasters.

NubianPrize
NubianPrize

This is the 3rd summer I’ve been doing wash n goes using KinkyCurly, Knot Today. I always get a headful of nice little pen spring curls of different sizes that get a lot of compliments.I consider my hair to be mostly 4a with a little b. I haven’t tried doing it any other way since KCCC works so well, I get VERY little breakage, can get 5–7 day hair, & only need to refresh it by spraying with a water/knot today mix or plain water & applying a little light oil if it gets a little dry. I also notice… Read more »

dawn
dawn

i can relate to number five. i have the kinda hair that whether i use product on it or not it generally behaves the same. it’s always been like that. my hair rarely responds to product.

Alwina
Alwina

For me, my hair goes either way. Some strands are fine, others are not. My hair likes some products over others. In general I prefer not to do WNGs when I think of the detangling sessions. Maybe there’s a better method out there, but for now I’d prefer not to do them. Only when I’m in the mood.

Sabrina Antoinnette

I am one that steers clear of Wash and Gos (Wash and NOs). I am multi textured from 3c to mostly 4a, and some 4b areas. If you can imagine, I look many types of crazy through the drying process with a WNG. The crown of my head is very high shrinkage and also the most fine, so it it an awful, clumpy, and product filled mess in the end. When all is said and done it is just not worth the reclamation time, the potential/definite damage, and the opportunity to look crazy that WNGs provide for me. More power to those… Read more »

Shay
Shay

My hair definitely responds to the products that I use. I can bet on whether other styles will work based on the shampoo, conditioner ect. I use. My hair has a curl pattern when wet and usually when I dry my hair that pattern is disturbed. I need a product that will freeze the curls and dter shrinkage… :/.. Which curently I have not found any that do this…

Ashley
Ashley
Reply to  Shay

My hair is the same way. The only thing that keeps the pattern is the Kinky Curly Curling Custard. When I use it, my curl pattern stays and I can “wash and go”. It is expensive but it is the only product I know of that will do it, the “similar” products don’t work. Buying the Knot Today conditioner helps with better results but is not necessary if you can’t afford to get it too. They sell it at Target.

Sheila
Sheila

I am glad somebody finally came out and said it!!!!! YYYYAAAASSSS!!!! My hair is all kind of 4, it tangles, knots, and pops. It hates, despises, detest wash and go’s. It is a nightmare and I have even tried the videos that say, “wash and go’s for 4 type hair. I do what works for my hair. If you see me with a wash and go, that means my scalp was really itching and I did not, I repeat DID NOT have time to do anything else to it.

The Mane Captain

Thanks girl for this comparison. I’m glad a scientist has the same hair texture and issues like I do. WnG and overnight twistouts don’t work on my hair. My hair is indifferent to products, it chooses when it wants to positively “accept” a product or not. and it tangles, knots and pops easily. 🙁
Thanks again for taking the time out to write this up
themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

CCC
CCC

I have mostly 4b, some 4c, a little 4a and all the strands are fine. I cannot do wash and go. My hair is about 15 inches in length when pulled out all the way, and after shrinkage is 3–4 inches. If I were to wash and go, I’d have bed head in the morning. When my hair is dry, it cannot be combed with a wide tooth or fingers. I have broken many a tooth off the comb. My weekly routine: wash hair with non-sulfate shampoo, emulsify and apply all natural shea butter to sections (12) along with Olive Oil… Read more »

tglny
tglny

I wash and go more than 90% of the time. I finger detangle exclusively and use gel to define my kings,curls, and coils. The result is that my hair pretty my dries looking the same way that it does wet, just shrunken like crazy. My hair hangs down when wet. I do not protective style my hair in a traditional sense, but I feel like wash and gos are protective for me. My hair is longer than BSL when stretched, and I plan to stop cutting it in order to grow it out a few more inches.

tglny
tglny
Reply to  tglny

I just wanted to add, that “kings” should be “kinks,” and to clarify that my wash and gos are fast — from wash to product to shaking, I can do it all in as little as a half hr. I have type 4 hair.

tre2k
tre2k
Reply to  tglny

I have fine type 4 hair. Wash n gos and quick ones, done by the time my showeer is done are all I ever do. Why? Bc my fine hair doea not hold manufactured definition well.

eggham
eggham
Reply to  tglny

same! i wash n go every morning!

Marsha
Marsha

I’ve given up on wash and go’s as well. I’m always impressed/envious when I see a natural on youtube who can spritz some water on a days old, stretched, wash and go, and put it into an up-do. After two days with a WnG, my whole head is one big matted mess and I can’t finger comb it or put a part into it to save my life, no matter how much spritzing I do. The last time I grew my hair out it regularly took over an hour, usually a lot more, to detangle my hair on wash days.… Read more »

mariah b
mariah b

I despise wash and goes! when fully stretched my hair is down 2 inches past shoulder length, but I have CRAZY shrinkage, so when the slightest bit of water hits it, i look like i just went to the barber shop nd got a fresh prince of belair cut! Wash nd goes r NOT my thing.

Diane

I’m glad someone has done this. My hair has never worked with W&G’s. Even when it was short, it becomes matted and tangled. I can’t use products that have a liquid texture I’ve even stopped using gel, mainly using my Shea butter mix. The only thing with water that I use is my water and veg glycerine mix. I spray this lightly on my hair before combing.

sweetP
sweetP

I have no idea what type of hair I have, but i do know it’s not a 3 or a 2; however, i can do wash and go’s with my hair pinned up and it’s actually very cute. Im that type that doesnt have the patience to experiment with hair do’s so my basic style is a wash/go pin up and i’ll get my hair straightened once a month. My hair doesn’t mash up so I can go two or three days with the same pin up, I’ll just spritz and it actually looks better.

dorism
dorism

Yeah I follow Cynthiarf, for 4 months with was and go’s. We have similar hair, so I thought it will work for me too.….Not! knots, and tangles got the best of me. My hair did increase in density, but not in length. Her advice to me was a watch pot never boils.… After having protein overload, and wash and go’s with tangles, I gave up. Wash and go’s don’t work on Nappy Hair!

Shanie
Shanie

I have thick, dense 4a hair with a few 4b places here and there. Wash and god are awesome for me on my shoulder length natural hair. Ecostyler olive oil or shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie work for me. I put it on in the shower after wash or cowash and rake through then quickly run my head under the shower then air dry. I use the baggy method with a few light spritzes of water to stretch the style for up to 5 days

sc
sc

I swear on all that is holy, I have multitexture 4 ABC low porosity, everything that hair can be is on my head, and all I do is wash and go’s almost every day. If people want to buy into certain myths ie. you can’t wash your hair daily, you can eliminate ssks, you need oils, certain products and a certain regimen for natural hair, etc. etc., that is fine. Some of us are listening to our hair and enjoying our hair 🙂 my hair is as “nappy” as it pleases and it LOVES wash and go’s. Yes it retangles,… Read more »

Julia Jewels
Julia Jewels
Reply to  sc

Agreed! I have been completely natural 2 years and I have been doing my hair in protective styles because of my busy lifestyle. I noticed that once I stop and starting dealing with my own hair that I did not need all the so-called holy grail products. I use a few products that I see work for my hair and I am fine with it.

kay
kay

Unfortunately, I am one who can’t do wash n gos. Not because I don’t like my unshrunken fro, but because not keeping my hair stretched causes it to be almost IMPOSSIBLE to detangle. I used to wear my hair in wash n goes and shrunken puffs but now that it is bra strap length, those styles have become increasingly hazardous to my hair’s health. I would love to be able to wear a puff again though!

carole

i’ve been natural for almost 8 years and i have tried every method to do wash and gos but they are definetely not for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have fine 4b and 4c hair
my hair look very nice when wet but once dry it is a complete mess: dryness and a lot of tangles

Michelle F.
Michelle F.
Reply to  carole

Agreed

Kayla
Kayla

Story of my life! I have type 4 hair hair and can totally relate to the shrinkage. My hair is about the length of the girl in the top video, but it shrinks to a TWA when its completely dried! I prefer my twist outs better.

fofo
fofo

I thought that my hair had no definition. Last summer, I tried to rock my natural hair(wash nd go), but It looks horrible, no matter which products I tried. What I also realized is that my hair wasn’t completely natural yet, I still had permed ends and this prevented me from observing the full natural texture and pattern of my hair. I got my hair trimmed and then a few sew ins. After wearing my natural hair this past month, I LOVE IT. I dont like the whole hair typing, but I believe I am a 4a/4b. My hair is… Read more »

Elle
Elle

I’ve got 3c/4a hair and have been completely natural for 3 years. What I dislike the most about WNGs (that I do only about 2–3 times a year) is the shrinkage. My hair is in layers and shrinks to my shoulders with a WNG and the longest layer is past bra strap length when straightened. Usually once my WNG is dry I do 6–8 loose braids to stretch it. The second thing is the drying time. It can take up to 8 hours to completely dry. Usually I’m going to sleep with damp roots of shrunken Afro that gets smooshed… Read more »

Chrystal
Chrystal

I have 4C hair with fine strands as well. I’m on day 4 of the Max hydration method and it’s changing the name of the game when it comes to wash n go’s for me. I’ve never been able to do much with my hair but keep it protective styled for an extended period of time: 2–4 weeks. On day three I did a wash n go. I have never seen that many curls in my hair and was smiling from ear to ear all day.

Chrissie
Chrissie

I used to wear them all the time, and it was super convenient; didn’t care about length so I ripped through the many tangles I’d end up with. Now that I’m trying to get length, WnGs are a nightmare since I’m finger detangling now. Never occurred to me that maybe it isn’t a “productive” hairstyle for me, at least not to keep in for days like I used to.

Tigana Bryan
Tigana Bryan

I use wash n gos all the time! My hair grows long, and I barely put any product in it. Also, I recently had heat damage and my hair just reverted back to normal after a couple weeks! My hair isn’t oily or dry or anything like that either. I haven’t tried hair gel but I think that it would make my hair look GREAT! Honestly, to make wash n gos look better, all I do is wash my hair really quickly, condition, finger detangle quickly while still wet, apply leave in, and rub with my towel or blowdry! My… Read more »