Tina // Multi-Texture Style Icon

Avatar • Jun 18, 2013

photo-463

Introduce yourself!
T:
My name is Tina. Originally born and raised in Cameroon, West Africa, I now live in New York. I am a graduate student, a vlogger and a jewelry designer.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
T:
I did not set out to go natural. I however, hated going to the salon. It always took a whole day where I was blasted with blow-dryer air and the smell of burning hair from hot irons. I started doing “braid-outs” and prolonging my visits to the hairdresser. (At the time, I had no clue about braid-outs and the natural hair community). I switched hairstylists and one day when I walked into the salon with my “braid-out” she was amazed by my hair and told me if I grew out my perm I could wear my hair natural. She said YouTube “natural hair” when you get home and when I did I was hooked. It just so happened at that same time I was looking for something new, something I could exert some control over as I was going through a challenging period. And so in the wee hours of March 26, 2010 I wielded that control and started chopping off my relaxed ends. With my stylist’s help I had transitioned for 7 months before chopping it all off! I am now 3 years and 2 months natural.

How would you describe your texture?
T:
The hair typing system always confused me, especially since I have various textures all over my hair. I will say though, that my curls are looser in the front and become tighter as you move backwards. My hair is thick and of normal to low porosity. My scalp dries quickly so it’s a constant battle to keep both scalp and hair moisturized, and on most days my hair seems to have a mind of its own.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
T:
When it comes to my hair care regimen, I keep it simple! I wash my hair every 7–10 days alternating either with my favorite conditioner (Herbal Essence Hello Hydration), or my homemade mud wash. I absolutely love using my mud wash because it cleanses without stripping my hair of its moisture and leaves my curls popping. I always follow with a homemade deep condition treatment to replenish any lost moisture and rinse thereafter with an apple cider vinegar rinse. I use a modified Kimmaytube Leave in Conditioner, apply my homemade shea butter moisturizer, seal with an oil, and style accordingly. For the most part I wear my hair in twists or fingercoils, which I’ll keep for 4–5 days and then separate into a twist out. As my hair has gotten longer I do less henna treatments due to the time it requires. I balance out my deep conditions with protein treatments as needed (typically every 6–8 weeks).

DSC_0038

What does wash day look like for you?
T:
If I’m in need of a cleanse due to product buildup I reach for my mud wash. Otherwise it starts with a co-wash with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration (HEHH). I detangle in the shower as HEHH gives my mane tons of good slip. Then I apply my deep conditioner (Aussie Moist 3 Minute Miracle, coconut oil, honey and tea tree oil). I let that sit at least 30 minutes then rinse out and do a final rinse with diluted apple cider vinegar. The acidity in the ACV shocks and closes my cuticles to help me maintain moisture and give my hair great sheen. I then style (twists or fingercoils) with either Shea Moisture’s Curl Enhancing Smoothie or my homemade whipped shea butter.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
T:
When all else fails I can always rely on my top knot bun.

How do you combat shrinkage?
T:
I don’t mind shrinkage. If I want a stretched twist-out then I pin the twists across my head to elongate them. Or I may tie it in a low bun. Either method stretches my hair.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
T:
The front usually needs more care as it dries the quickest and is the area most exposed to the various elements.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
E:
Moisturizers and deep conditioning treatments.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
T:
My hair hates gel and heavy oils!

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
T:
Absolutely. You can find me at:
Twitter/Instagram: @MissT1806
YouTube: www.youtube.com/misst1806
Jewelry: www.etsy.com/shop/misstdesign

About Meosha

Camillia
Camillia

That hair!!! Mercy!! Absolutely gorgeous!

Reply to  Camillia

MrsGlam

Your hair is just AWESOME! Gorgeous pics!

Reply to  MrsGlam

Alta angel
Alta angel

Your hair is so lush and fabulous! You remind me of Michelle O!

Reply to  Alta angel

Thank you Alta angel. I’m still not sure what people see but I seem to be getting the FLOTUS comments more recently. I should ask my mother if there’s a secret I need to know lol

nnezy
nnezy
Reply to  Alta angel

i was thinking the same thing! glad i’m not alone. you’re beautiful & i love your hair!!!

Reply to  nnezy

Thanks Nnezy:)

Inas
Inas

You are super cute, love your shiny hair!

Reply to  Inas

hahah thank you Inas

A
A

I subscribed to Tina on YouTube a while back! I’m so glad she’s featured. She comes across and honest, sincere and completely genuine in her videos.

For some reason, I thought she was from the Caribbean.

P.S Tina, your eyes and smile favor those of Michelle Obama.

Nubiahbella
Nubiahbella
Reply to  A

Totally out of subject I wonder how people determine someone belongs to ethnicity?

Because unless a person is extremely mixed looking ( yet again they are plenty of mixed , multiracial etc folks in Africa too), most of the time when I meet a black person, I always wonder which tribe or part of Africa they come from. I am often confused on what people base their judgment ( hair texture, skin color, features etc..)

Anyway to get back to the topic, I am envious of how glossy her hair is!!!!!

Reply to  Nubiahbella

Thanks Nubiahbella. To answer your question, I can only say I get the Caribbean comments a lot when I speak. My accent apparently is a jumbo of many things due to my upbringing experiences lol. Since A (the comment you responded to) watches me on Youtube I’m not surprised she assumed the same thing as I do a lot of voiceovers for my videos and have been told I send West Indian (usually Jamaican).

Nix
Nix
Reply to  Nubiahbella

Hey Nubiabella, Facial features, body type, skin color, accent, and (sometimes) hair texture can help one guess at country of origin when it comes to Africans within Africa. It also helps with determining what part of the country a person is from or their ethnicity. For instance, one can usually tell West Africans and East Africans apart, and Nigerians can usually tell what part of the country/Nigerian ethnic group another Nigerian is from/of (like Igbo, Yoruba, Efik, etc.). (I’m Nigerian, btw.) Doesn’t mean you’re always right because there’s mixing between ethnic groups too. E.g., Tina looks a little Efik to… Read more »

Nix
Nix
Reply to  Nix

Tina,

Your hair is way too gorgeous! Inspiring!

Reply to  A

Awww thanks A for trouping with me on Youtube!!:) I appreciate your support so much. Thank you very much for the kind words. About the Caribbean thing might as well be! I get that very often lol

Colalover
Colalover

Tina you look so much like my mother when she was young! It’s uncanny how much you look like my mom. Not only that,you look like Michelle Obama who looks like my mom too. My mother unfortunately passed away. :’( But I was just shocked at how much you look like her! Incredible, you’re features are almost identical!

Reply to  Colalover

Oh wow Colalover! That is an honor! Hope I brought you many happy memories of her. She may be gone but she remains alive in your heart. RIP Mama Colalover

eve-audrey
eve-audrey

wow! your hair is truly beautiful i’ll be checking your youtube channel.
btw i’m was born and raised in cameroon too except i’m french now haha just out of curiosity do you speak french?

Reply to  eve-audrey

Hey eve-audrey, yes please go ahead and check my channel:) Team 237! I’m from the Southwest but born and raised in Yaounde. The shame is that my french sucks!!! Don’t think I can make a full sentence without choking on some words lol Plus mon accent est comme celle du marche lol

eve-audrey
eve-audrey
Reply to  MissT1806

haha don’t worry i know part of the cameroonian population are english speaking people anyway your hair is gorgeous

Magda
Reply to  eve-audrey

Your hair is gorgeous! I’m also from Cameroon:)

Reply to  Magda

Hey Magda I recognize your pic!! Can I tell you i just stalked your instagram page??? lol Had to follow to stay up to date 🙂 Plus gotta support that team 237! lol

D.K.

Beautiful. Agree, the glossy hair and wonderfully thick length rocks. And your mere rocks too for being aware and seeing the damage, ultimately making the decision to care properly for her baby’s hair. Kudos to the strong mothers!

vertmoot.blogspot.com

Reply to  D.K.

thank D.K. Indeed meres around the world rock and mine you simply the best (I may be biased on that last fact lol)

Chi
Chi

*SWOON*

You and your hair are downright fabulous! And your regimen is simple and effective (obviously). So inspiring.

West Africans in NYC represent!

Reply to  Chi

Thanks Chi. Trying where I can lol

Franklin
Franklin

I must confess i donnot know much about female hair, but i always prefer ladies to go more natural. Without limiting myself to your hair, i see a great career in modeling ahead of you.

Khanyi
Khanyi
Reply to  Franklin

Well said!!!its time natural heads represent on the modelling scene-lets go international!

Reply to  Franklin

Wow thanks Franklin and Khanyi. I’ll however leave the modeling for someone else. That is one talent I simply do not have lol. I’ll stick to youtube videos for now lol

ivicoco
ivicoco

Soo happy to see Tina on Style Icons! your hair gives me life!

Reply to  ivicoco

Awww thanks Ivicoco. Your support gives ME life! 🙂

clare
clare

I have seen that pic of her with the blow out and white shirt a million times on instagram and thoughgt to myself “who is that? She is stunning! Whats her story?” Im glad i finally get to know it.

Reply to  clare

mlank64
mlank64

You are one of my favorite youtube naturals. I’ve always admired your beauty. Keep the videos coming.

Reply to  mlank64

Thank you Mlank64!!! Always really motivating to hear such feedback. You can look forward to more videos:)

kitty
kitty

Love this post! Am I the only one that thinks she looks like Michelle Obama in Photo 464 (the 11th photo)?

Gorgeous hair/girl!

Reply to  kitty

Akos
Akos

Yay! Africans represent! You give me hope lady — both you and your hair are gorg :). May I ask what kinds of protective styles did yiu do when your hair was shorter and how often dod you protect your hair? And did you ever use braid or twist extensions? Thanks

Reply to  Akos

Thank you Akos. For protective styles during my first year natural I mainly two-strand twisted. I devoted my 1st year to learning about my hair and building a regimen I was comfortable with. My focus was on keeping it moisturized and healthy. I put in twists like on a Sunday, rocked them till Friday evening, separated into a twist-out then washed Sunday and started all over again. I have installed long box braids twice and one set of cornrows with extensions in my 3yrs journey. I usually do not keep them past a month because my scalp can’t handle it… Read more »

Melanie

That hair is absolutely, positively to die for.

GORGEOUS.

Reply to  Melanie

Thanks Melanie:)

Khanyi
Khanyi

Hi Tina your hair is giving me a haigasm!!! Very beautiful. I’m a Zimbabwean living in South Africa and very disappointed that the product market for naturals is almost non-existant(Helllooo in Africa Imagine!!!!!) Not hating on relaxers and weaves but we Africans have been seriously brain washed against our hair and I want to change that. My hair is like yours only growing with the little almost no ‑products everything else is for relaxed hair types. So sometimes I get frurastrated but I totally love my Natural curls they are Divine..and I know many many Africans would like to maintain… Read more »

Taf
Taf
Reply to  Khanyi

Khanyi, I agree with you totally when it comes to products. Yet so many natural ingredients found in those products overseas are from here. I live in Zimbabwe and finding products for naturals is daunting. I’ve learned to live with my simple natural ingredients, like avocadoes, organic oils and a few products I do find. I’m always on the lookout for new stuff…

Khanyi
Khanyi
Reply to  Taf

Oh Sigh Taf know exactly what you mean.…the desire of natural hair is there though.

Khanyi
Khanyi
Reply to  Taf

Oh *Sigh* Taf I know exactly what you mean.…

Reply to  Khanyi

Kyanyi and Taf, I totally understand your frustrations with the lack of products but don’t let that stop you on your journey towards healthy natural hair. A product doesn’t have to say “natural” or “kinky” for it to be friendly for your mane. In fact with the natural hair movement in recent years it seems naturals are being heavily exploited by companies charging crazy high $$ for “natural hair products”. Do your research. Take your favorite product. You’ll find that there are common ingredients in most products — when you go to pick up your products look for ones that… Read more »

Khanyi
Khanyi

To follow up on the above my first comment sounds vague. I really mean to say we do not have a variety of products for Naturals here yet we have many naturals. So decided to go natural is often discouraging, because currently we have more hair products for Relaxed hair than natural(I literally have to painstakingly search high and low) for anything that might do.I’m sure you know what I’m talking about:-)

Saye
Saye

Wow your hair is gorgeous and you are also. I am West African as well. My heritage is Liberian to be precise.

Reply to  Saye

Thank you Saye. Liberia StandUp!!!

Rafaella
Rafaella

Hey!! Marvin’s sis all grown up !!! Love your shiny, natural black hair.

Reply to  Rafaella

oh wow you must obviously know me from way back Rafaella! Thanks 🙂

jasmine
jasmine

when i saw the pic in the blue skinny’s i did my you go girl happy dance! you better Get it girl!! beautiful!

Reply to  jasmine

Hahahah Jasmine! Wish I could see the “you go girl happy dance!” lol Thanks

awesome

awesome!

Reply to  awesome

me
me

Wow, you look like you should be on some magazine! I LOVE your hair!

Reply to  me

Wow Me that’s pretty cool lol. Thanks:)

Coconut + Cream

I love tina!!! And I hate calling grown ups adorable and stuff
But shucks, Tina YOU ISZ ADORABLE Miss!

hahahahaha Coconut+Cream that’s hilarious! I’ll take it:) Thanks

Jesse
Jesse

Yea I seriously thought you were a model based off of the white shirt with red bottom photo. It looks so Macy’s I can’t take it lol. I love your look and hair. I’ve also seen your youtube channel from time to time. You’re a real inspiration.

verona
verona

Wow…gorgeous girl, gorgeous hair!

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu

I find I find your clothes more interesting than your very gorgeous hair! Girl, you got it goin’ on!

ade
ade

she kinda looks like Michelle Obama

Martha
Martha

Lovely

Dani
Dani

I was trying to figure out who you look like and its Michelle Obama especially in pic #11. Soooooo pretty!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/michellleObama.jpg[/img]