How to Get a Side-Part in Your TWA

Avatar • Jun 10, 2013

By Cassidy of Natural Selection Blog

One of the main issues I have (and hear from my readers) is that with a TWA there aren’t a lot of styling options. My first instinct is to say, “well, that’s the point.” But now after a few months of having my own crop, I totally understand the desire to spice a short ‘do up a bit.

Which is why I’ve decided to rock the side part. The side part inspiration came about when I saw Solange do it when she first did her big chop.

the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards

It appears however, that our dearest Miss Knowles cut her part into her hair and while cute, I was reluctant to make such a commitment.

So when I was getting my hair cut and styled last week, I hopped out of the chair and used my fingers and nails to sort of draw in a side part. It worked just okay, but the idea was there.

IMG_9346

The next day I decided to figure out how to get the part going REAL good.  After a few trials and errors, I finally achieved a part that will last for days on end, even through sleeping and second day hair! Here’s how I do it:

1. On freshly washed hair, apply your usual styling product. I’ve been liking gels.

2. Take a comb and place your part. Your hair will want just swallow that part right back up, so try to use the teeth of the comb to gently tame just the roots.

3. Once you have the part, lightly apply some firm hold gel. I’ve been really, really liking the new EDEN Bodyworks Control Edge Glaze. It’s all natural, dries clear, has an AWESOME hold and for $8.99—the price is right!

4. Once the gel is applied, take two duckbill clips and slide them along either side of the part.

IMG_9410

5. Using a blowdryer on medium heat with a nozzle attachment, lightly dry the roots along the part.

6. Carefully slide the clips out and VOILA! You’ve got a solid and straight side part!

IMG_9413

Ladies, how do you style your TWA?

Mateland

Eden Bodyworks is NOT all natural. It contains Ceteareth-20 which is classified toxic and is a potential breast carcinogen (see http://www.natural-skincare-authority.com/ceteareth-20.html) plus other chemicals. My Sisters’ Natural products (www.mysistersnatural.com) are coming soon to the public and are truly 100% natural.

Vinod
Reply to  Mateland

Hi there!I really enyeojd reading about your journey. As you’ve read, mine is just beginning, so I appreciate seeing the ups and downs that may be to come. For the record, all of your pictures are beautiful! I have to agree with you about the braids, though. I like your TWA (and now fuller afro) a lot better! I’m still of the mind that I will transition without a big chop as much as possible, now considering braids or 2 strand twists for a while. We’ll see how it goes.Moving forward!

cb
cb

the part looks fabulous 🙂

Djanira
Djanira

I love it

TWA4now
TWA4now

Lovely.…see, there are styles for every length! #aTWAisbeautiful2

Afrochelle
Afrochelle

I underwent a second big chop JUST to rock this look. I love it! Got my part shaved in, too.

Kay
Kay

I always thought Solange had her part cut in.

Kay
Kay
Reply to  Kay

Oh, never mind. I saw that the writer already mentioned that in the article.

Irina
Reply to  Kay

Although I’m new to natural, I’ve been ecnexisirg regularly for a long while now. I *love* cycling, as well, and completed a 143 mile ride from Houston to Austin, Texas earlier this year. Though I was still relaxing my hair at the time, I used a bandana under my helmet until I found a cute cycling cap that soaked up the sweat and still made me look presentable when we would stop. You can find them at any cycling shop.I started off using the Wii Fit at home until I was confident enough to go to Zumba classes at the… Read more »

Miranda

Have you ever thought about writing an e‑book
or guest authoring on other websites? I have a blog based upon on
the same topics you discuss and would really like
to have you share some stories/information. I know my audience would value your work.
If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e mail.

Feel free to visit my web page — tips on landscaping your garden — Miranda -