Chrissy // 3C Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Jun 20, 2013

Chrissy8

Introduce yourself!
C:
My name is Chrissy. I am from Newark, NJ.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
C:
I went natural because I used to go a very long time in between relaxers, but when I would get a doobie my new growth would look exactly like my permed hair. It actually looked better, and my doobies lasted longer. I also started to see my curl pattern, and fell in love. I’ve been natural since 2009.

How would you describe your texture?
C:
My hair is primarily 3c. My hair behaves extremely well. Weather is rarely a factor. It’s very versatile and goes from curly to straight seamlessly. My curls are defined, yet I have a certain degree of puffiness that gives me the volume that I love.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
C:
I am an extremely busy person. I am always on the go, and I have a 3 year old son! So…I’ve become known as the wash and go queen! My favorite product is Kinky Curly Curling Custard. I use different conditioners. Right now, I’m using Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream. I rarely use shampoo. If I feel I need a little extra moisture, I use Trader Joe’s virgin coconut oil. I wash my hair an hour before I need to leave, (I only comb through it about once a week) and while my hair is still dripping I put in a quarter sized amount of product in my hands and rub throughout my hair. I let my hair air dry while I get ready. My hair goes through various stages throughout the day from tame – wild.

photo-469

What does wash day look like for you?
C:
I see on blogs and Instagram that wash day is a spectacular event for many naturals…I’m a very low maintenance natural. I “wash/wet” my hair about 3 times a week. I shampoo about once a month, but the regimen is the same as my wash and go. (Cantu deep conditioner, Kinky Curly/or Cantu Shea Leave in Conditioner)

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
C:
My favorite go to style is a simple curly “pony-bun”. I stretch out the hair tie and fit all of my hair into it. The key is not double wrapping the hair tie. Technically it’s a ponytail, but it really looks like a curly bun.

How do you combat shrinkage?
C:
Shrinkage isn’t a big problem for me, but I usually just pull on my curls throughout the day, especially in the back.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
C:
Trader Joe’s coconut oil is my cure for any moisture issues I may have, especially in the summer months.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
C:
#1 DO for my hair is the co-poo. I very rarely use shampoo…My hair retains moisture so much better since I stopped shampooing regularly. #2 DO for my hair is letting it be out and free. I pretty much let my hair do what it pleases. I don’t play in it too much…I’ve never dyed it. I just maintain it and care for it…sort of like a plant! (lol)

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
C:
#1 DON’T is straightening it too much. I straighten my hair about once every 2 months just to see how long it is and to get a trim. I’m very scared to ruin my curl pattern especially in the front of my hair. I have a lot of friends whose hair will no longer curl in the front because of excessive straightening. I notice my hair takes a while to get its bounce back if I straighten it frequently. #2 DON’T is using gels and mousses. I like for my curls to be soft, not hard and crunchy. I don’t do slick back styles that require gel and brushing down my curls. My hair NEVER agrees…not to mention I loathe flakes!

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
C:
Find me on Instagram @ChrisMiss_ …I was also on the May cover of curlBOX …blog coming soon!

About Meosha

D.K.

Hey, nice hair and lipstick! Your freckles remind me of my sisters. 😀

vertmoot.blogspot.com

Michelle
Michelle

She’s beautiful..but I find her hair boring..is that ok to post without seeming like a hater?

Djanira
Djanira
Reply to  Michelle

I accidentally hit the thumbs down button, sorry. I was simple trying to ask “why do you find her hair boring?” I’m on my phone

Michelle
Michelle
Reply to  Djanira

I think I feel bias againts type 3 hair as I think that people feel it is more acceptable or ‘manageable’ because it is less cotton-like. Her hair reminds me of naturals on TV. I apologize, because she is showing courage by sharing her hair pics..she may have as many ‘issues’ with accepting her hair as people with type 4 hair or just simply want to tell people how she cares for her natural hair.

Jessica
Jessica
Reply to  Michelle

I don’t think you deserve a thumbs down, Michelle because I think you have a valid point that I’m sure others have, but don’t have the courage to say. I didn’t necessarily think you were throwing shade.. Although boring sounds kind of harsh, you followed it up by explaining you own hang ups I don’t want to put words in your mouth, but maybe you think her ROUTINE is boring and perhaps cannot relate…? i am the opposite… I love the simplicity of her routine because, aside from the products, it mirrors mine. Everyone has different reasons for going natural… My… Read more »

Pompeii
Pompeii
Reply to  Jessica

Jessica Lol i couldn’t help but laugh at the routine you describe..it is so freaking true and i agree with everything you said! Michelle i don’t see anything wrong with your opinion, and i also thumbed you down accidentally.

KiKi
KiKi
Reply to  Michelle

I’m sure all of the icons are excited and nervous about sharing their hair stories and struggles with an anonymous public, and the positive feedback that some of us lack from even family and friends can feel especially meaningful coming from strangers.

Posts by the icons seem carefully worded and thoughtful, so a reply like “her hair is boring” with no context whatsoever or attempt at tact can seem thoughtless and casual — but I’m sure you put a lot of effort into your reply.

Bridget J
Bridget J

I absolutely love your hair and the simplicity of your regimen. So going to try the curly “pony-bun”.

Kgc
Kgc

I wish I had good hair like this 🙁

Jessica
Jessica
Reply to  Kgc

Kgc, YOUR hair is good hair because it is yours… And is only as “good” as you nurture it to be

Kgc
Kgc
Reply to  Jessica

I just wish my curls were bigger.

ema
ema
Reply to  Kgc

i dont understand why you get thumbed down like that? everybody wishes for things they dont have. like you would say “i wished i had long legs like you” or “such a nice car” you can also say “i wish i had your hair” etc. this is wishfully thinking and everybody does it. its totally hypocritical to thumb somebody down because a person is honest about what she wishes.

Erika
Erika
Reply to  ema

I think her response was “thumbed down” because she said she wished she had “good hair” like the icon. It’s absolutely wonderful to complement someone else’s hair. I don’t think people would have had a problem if she had said, “Your hair is gorgeous.” or “I love your curls. They’re beautiful!” However, using the term “good hair” has SO MANY negative connotations in our community. So, many of us are trying to rid ourselves (and others) of using this kind of language.

IB
IB

Very pretty girl with gorgeous hair! Our regimens are so similar too — I also like keeping things simple and low maintenance.

Miss T
Miss T

She favors Solange in a lot of her pictures.

TWA4now

She is pretty with nice hair and I love that her routine is simple. #haircursh#1489:)

Candice
Candice

She needs to start a site called “Black Girl with Freckles”! So cute!

ema
ema

She is so pretty and her hair is gorgeous 🙂

Chrissy
Chrissy

Hi everyone! I am the one featured above :). I read some of the comments …while of course I don’t think my hair is “boring” I actually think is an important conversation to facilitate…for some reason 3c girls get the least amount of love from all the naturals .… It took me a reallllllly long time to accept my hair … A relaxer was put in it when I was 5 years old.…I’m mixed …so let’s just say being in puerto Rico in the summertime with my puerto rican cousins who just hopped in /out the pool and shower like… Read more »

Jessica
Jessica
Reply to  Chrissy

Chrissy,

Your natural hair story is very similar to mine and I’m so glad to see you on here. I also have 3c hair and it took me a long time to fully accept my “good hair”. Thank you for being here and sharing your story.

Jessica
Jessica
Reply to  Chrissy

Haha- there are two Jessicas… I responded to the boring hair comment earlier. I totally agree with you and I feel like we need more simpler routines featured. If I hadn’t made the decision to return natural BEFORE reading some of these blogs, I would have thought “no freakin way” after reading a lot of regimens featured. Like you, while I have respect for those ladies that spend a ton of time and a ton of effort on their hair.… I just don’t have the time or the patience! I have TWO toddlers and my sleep at night and my… Read more »

reese
reese

Your freckles are so adorable!

Boyhead
Boyhead

photos are fierce honey!

Pbotts
Pbotts

I feel inspired by this because when I just started my natura journey,l I knew nothing about natural products or regimens. Now that I’m more informed, I find myself obsessing with things hair related and missing the days when it was just hair. I really hope I can achieve a level of simplicity one day.