5 Tweaks That Can Drastically Improve Your Regimen

Avatar • Jun 26, 2013

photo-609

Style Icon Olivia

By Chinwe of Hair and Health

As we reach new lengths, sometimes our hair care regimen must change.  Our strands — which may not only be longer now, but may also have changed slightly in coil/curl pattern — may require different handling methods and products.  A change in our regimen may also be necessary when the ingredients of a staple product have been altered or our income has been adjusted.  Whatever the reason for a change, it can be scary going from a familiar routine to a new one.  Let these quick tips be a guide for you:

1. See what others with similar length, type, texture, AND density are doing.

It is not enough to just look at naturals with a similar hair type to yours.  Look for those with your length (or a length to which you aspire), texture (i.e., fine, medium, or coarse strands — a measure of circumference), and density (that is, the number of strands on your head).  Use women with two to all four of these characteristics as a starting point for adjusting your routine.

2. Find products with ingredients your hair loves.

This step is especially applicable if your staple product has new ingredients, is discontinued, or is now out of your budget.  Begin your search for a replacement by looking for similar ingredients to your original staple product.  Look for generics — for example, “Hair One” in place of “Wen”.  Another option is to consider mixing your own product so that you do not have to rely on commercial ones, which may change at any time.

3. Understand the good and bad of what it is you want to incorporate into your regimen.

Do you want to incorporate heat usage?  Do want to use conditioners containing silicones?  Then make certain you research the good and the bad of such practices.  Without understanding all aspects of what it is you want to incorporate into your regimen, such adjustments can adversely surprise you … and your hair.

4. Start with one adjustment at a time.

Making multiple changes to your regimen at once can make it difficult to identify the culprit if setbacks happen.  This step especially applies to naturals who are new in their hair care journey.

5. Try your new product more than once and in various ways.

Products that fail to work the first time or via one method may work the second or third time or via another method.  I have had this experience with such products as coconut oil, shea butter, and certain conditioners.  While coconut oil fails to moisturize or seal my hair after a fresh wash, it is actually moisturizing when I use it as a pre-poo or mixed with shea butter as a sealant.  While shea butter alone does nothing for my hair, it works very well when mixed with oils and even aloe vera gel.

Ladies, have you ever made a major change to your hair care regimen?  Share your experience!

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

Lita
Lita

That last tip..
Never was a truer word spoken. It’s how I discovered my holy grail tiny bit of oil+tiny bit of kccc+clear ecostyler on damp hair. I’d given up on kccc and ecostyler

Djanira
Djanira
Reply to  Lita

What’s kcc?

neochasez
neochasez
Reply to  Djanira

Kinky Curly Curling Custard.

That product is a no-no for me as well.

Leah
Leah
Reply to  neochasez

That price is a no-no for me.

Mai
Mai
Reply to  Leah

I can justify kccc because I can’t find horsetail extract outside of capsule form for the life of me, and my hair absolutely loves horsetail extract.

Now Miss Jessie’s. No. How they justify $50 for mostly water, mineral oil, and glycerin is beyond me.

Raine
Raine
Reply to  Leah

I’ve heard that Shea Moisture’s Curling Gel Souffle is similar. More product for a lesser price. KCCC is pricey, but my jar lasted a good 5–6 months when I used it constantly.

Kate
Kate

Definitely agree with these. Another thing I would probably say is that not everything that works for others will work for me. I learnt that the hard way with the cantu shea butter leave in

That’s Kate

neochasez
neochasez
Reply to  Kate

Haha! Wise words…I, too, tried the Cantu shea butter leave-in and it was a horrific experience.

Leah
Leah
Reply to  Kate

Man, the Twisting Cream from As I Am made Mahoganycurls’ hair BANGIN’. I bought that stuff, tried it on damp and dry hair, and it was a disaster. That stuff is not for me 🙁

LBell
LBell

All good points…thanks for this… Re 1: If my goal was to get long hair in the quickest amount of time, I would need to live in protective styles. That’s based on observing others with my length, type, texture, and density. Problem is I hate most protective styles…I’ve reached a compromise state where I wear twists for a while and then loose hair for a while. When my hair is loose I wear it in a way that requires very little manipulation. That’s helped out a lot. I’d rather enjoy my hair even if it means I’m not retaining as much… Read more »

Cheryl
Cheryl

Wow, what have you guys done to your website? It looks so busy. And all for advertising? Tsk-tsk. Loved the way it was before.

Lita
Lita
Reply to  Cheryl

I’m assuming we wouldn’t be able to have this exchange without the adverts…

Kaye Kadesh
Kaye Kadesh

I’ve learned that aloe vera gel is natures gift to natural hair! 🙂 All I use is water, 100% avocado oil, and aloe vera gel in my type 4 hair. My hair is long and healthy after many trials of learning what works.

m2
m2
Reply to  Kaye Kadesh

I too, am now a fan of the advocado oil. I started with a raw adv flesh — shea butter mix before n have now moved 2 the oil for convenience. It is awesome. N I’m nixing shea butter from my routine too if I can help it. I think its too heavy for my hair. My newest life/time saver is apple cider vinegar, best dentangler for me.

m2
m2
Reply to  m2

My bad on typos… avocado oil and raw avd (avocado) flesh

Lisa
Lisa

I had to meet my hair… Basically, I wore braids for 10 years. Then life happened and my friend who had hair down to her butt was diagnosed with cancer. Unfortunately, all of her life, people had raved about her being a ‘black girl with so much hair!’ and she was actually in the frame of mind that all she was was her hair. That without it, she wasn’t beautiful And it would never grown back because ‘black hair doesn’t grow.’. After dropping some information about hair growth myths, I told her that hair isn’t want makes a person beautiful.… Read more »

K
K
Reply to  Lisa

Hope your friend is okay!

mangomadness
mangomadness

For me, doing “1. See what others with similar length, type, texture, AND density are doing” drastically improved my hair care routine. When I decided that I wanted to grow my hair long (MBL or longer), I researched the hair care techniques of ladies with kinky, coily, Afro-textured, super dense hair similar to mine. This research led me to make the following tweaks to my hair care routine: 1) detangle before shampooing, 2) finger-detangle, 3) shampoo/condition in twists and 4) cleanse scalp via diluted shampoo in an applicator bottle Those tweaks have greatly reduced breakage and tangles, enabled me to maintain… Read more »

monisola
monisola

4c hair here, that grows slowly, tangles easily, and has fragile fine strands. Protect hair for 3 continuous weeks at a time, detangle with fingers in small sections before washing. Literally take out each individual braid/ twist ( I wear about 35–40) and detangle it, 5 or 6 at a time, make a braid out of the 6 detangled section, wash in those braids. Detangle with coconut oil, it helps protect the cuticle layer, and lubes up with hair without causing shrinkage=breakage for me. Protien condition every 3 weeks as opposed to every month, use a leave in/spritz with a lil… Read more »

Colalover
Colalover

This girl is beautiful and should be modeling! Gorgeous! Perfect features! 🙂

Colalover
Colalover

Tried aloe vera, didn’t like X-( because THAT stuff looks so healthy,but it dries my hair. I love,love,love!! Olive oil. I want to try the pure coconut oil. I find that my hair just loves olive oil. I guess my hair is 3c.4a.

AGrlCanMAC
Reply to  Colalover

Have you tried mixing it with an oil? Aloe vera gel on its own is drying. I’ve found with my hair that it has to be mixed or sealed with an oil to experience the benefits of it. My hair is 4A, fine strands, medium density. Hope this helps!

Crystal Grant
Crystal Grant

That’s my girl OLIVIA!! She’s awesome!! It’s so cool that I merp seeing her on these natural cyber spheres 😀

surVIVEr28
surVIVEr28

This was a really good article. I fell in love with my hair after I did a combination of (and bit of tweaking of) most of the things on this list. Instead of looking at “like” naturals, I went to other ethnicities to see what they were doing (Shameless Maya) and it worked for me. Maya was using the Shea Moisture line and my hair truly loves Shea Butter. That change, plus a new discovery that my hair loves Wen ( but I need an affordable sub)and clipping of some really bad ends, gave me a new head of hair… Read more »

Marta Daniels

Love this! My favorite tip is about re purposing/combining products that don’t work well the first time.

Kaitlyn

The Southern European country of Greece has certainly seen their share of problems recently, whether it’s their well documented financial woes or the rise in violence against immigrants. This includes a complete medical history and physical examination in which the overseeing veterinarian will look into what medications, vaccinations and treatments the affected cat has undergone. as obtaining a result, common utilization of nutritional E‑enriched options might probably result in heightened amounts of the fat-soluble vitamin.

Dabney
Dabney

Every once in a while I reinvigorate my product junkieism( is that a word) Recently, I started to read the blogs and study up on the new techniques. Lawd! I bought a bunch of different trendy oils, over did the conditioner buying and never gave the products a chance to work their magic! I am loving JBCO and Hello Hydration! Give the products a chance to work before you decide to hate them! So the last tip hit home!UGH! ( $100 later) Anyone need some V05?

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my blog so i
came to “return the favor”.I am attempting to find things
to enhance my site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

sekt

Vielmehr könne auch jenes Verzehr von 3 g Zimt am Kalendertag auch noch in dem
Rahmen normaler Ernährungsgewohnheiten liegen. Bunt die lecker, oft mit Früchten
verziert, gehören welche köstlichen Kalorienbomben unter den Getränken zum Standardsortiment mit Partys oder
auch in Bars. Es gibt tatsächlich zahlreiche Hugo Sekt