5 Styles That Naturals Should Have Done Professionally

Avatar • Jun 18, 2013

phpNBYTKtAM

Photo Credit: Tabitha of Small Salon Biz

The natural hair community is very DIY, but many of us are styling challenged and occasionally need a little help. This article was originally posted on a blog for stylists.

By Tabitha Ford of Small Salon Biz

While many natural clients spend a great deal of time taming their curls at home, you can bet they’ll keep looking to the pros for help with the following services.

Blowout – Natural girls embrace their curls, but occasionally they’re in the mood for a sleek blowout. One particular occasion for getting a blowout is to enjoy longer length. Curly hair can shrink as much as 6 inches in its natural state. Sometimes natural clients just want some hair flipping action.  While many natural clients get infrequent blowouts and are cautious about the use of heat,  the alternative  is the natural client who doesn’t like to wear their hair curly at all.

Textured Up-Do – Sure there are plenty YouTube tutorials, but who wants to take a chance for a special occasion? For special occasions and spunky moods, you can expect your clients to come in for textured updos that make a statement and command attention.

Sets –  Services such as the flexi rod set  are great for natural clients who want to elongate their curls. While this can be done at home,  many folks don’t want to invest in the tools and time that’s required to do this on their own. Your speed and expertise, turn styles such as straw sets and roller sets into more practical options.

Hair Color – Many natural clients are particularly cautious about using harsh chemicals on their hair. Because of this, you can expect them to seek professional services for hair color. Consider highliting techniques that  add dimension to curls and twists for  clients who wear their hair curly most of the time. For naturals who wear their hair straight, bolder hair color patterns become an option.

Hair Cuts – Often times natural clients embark on the chemical free journey to begin realizing considerable length. Because of this, haircuts become less frequent. When natural clients decide to cut they generally want to trim a small amount. The client will look to your precision and professional skills as it may be a good period of time before the hair is cut again.

Do you agree with this list ladies? What styles do you go to the salon for?

Tabitha Ford is a licensed cosmetologist and self-proclaimed hair nerd who believes that hair business is serious business. She gained her industry credentials from the University of North Texas and Aveda Institute. She spends her time blogging about hair styling and practical solutions for freelance hairdressers and small salons. You can find her on Twitter @smallsalonbiz and her blog Small Salon Biz.

Nicole Charnel

I agree on cut and color. The other three, i feel like I can accomplish myself. I also think it depends on the person. If you have the skill to do it, then do it. Some times salons are not an option and you have to teach yourself.

NicoleCharnel.blogspot.com

mangomadness
mangomadness

I’m a DIY-er when it come to my hair — and life in general. I would not go to the salon for a blowout, set (flexirod, roller set, straw set, etc.), hair color or cut. Why? ‘Cause I can do a fierce tension blow-out, I can do a set at home, I have no interest in hair color and I can (and prefer to) trim my hair myself. I would go to a salon for a textured up-do — a two-strand flat twist up do or something of the sort — because I am not the best at two-strand flat… Read more »

silkynaps
silkynaps

With the exception of haircuts, I’ve been handling my own hair since I was 12. After my last hair trim, I don’t think I’ll ever set foot in a salon again. I just don’t believe anyone knows how to trim afro hair, especially not in its afro state. If I wanted uneven hair, I can do that myself and, going forward, I think I will.

sharon
sharon

I leave it to the professionals for blow outs and clipping my ends. I’m capable of using my rods and up do’s. Its more of common sense about your hair, don’t tug or pull that can cause damage to your hair or scalp!

SP08
SP08

Cut (if a person wants something specialized) and color are definitely salon worthy for me. I can do the rest of that stuff by myself. As long as a natural uses low heat they should be fine. I even recommend stretching the hair using large twists before blowdrying. Makes the process much easier with stretched hair.

'Quel
'Quel

I didn’t have much need for a stylist when I was relaxed and I still don’t think I do.

mlank64

I don’t have any use for salons since I’ve gone natural. I don’t think most salons know anything about natural hair. The styles and trims are one thing, but, they will want me to use their products to wash and condition and I’m just too fussy about my hair. I wouldn’t want to subject anyone to what my hair likes and dislikes. It’s just easier to learn to do it myself.

Yas
Yas

Actually, I think it really depends on how skilled you are and what you have time for. Some people need a salon visit to achieve the look they want, others do not. Sometimes I don’t want to be bothered spending 4–5 hours on a weekend conditioning and styling my hair. That’s where a professional comes in; but it’s unrealistic not to learn a few techniques and styles to get you by until the next visit. Cut and color I might have to agree with. I’m all natural and when I colored my hair the first time, I ended up doing… Read more »

Tabatha
Tabatha

I go to the salon for Deep Conditioners once month with the really good stuff, and I also get blow outs too.

Kesha
Kesha
Reply to  Tabatha

Tabatha, do you know what they are using as a deep conditioner? Most of them you can buy on your own. I find that the natural products produced in small batches work best for me. For example, I love Original Moxie’s Intense Quench or Karen’s Body Beautiful Luscious Locs Hair Mask. I have a hooded dryer at home that I payed about $60 for, less than one trip to the salon. I generally feel that deep conditioners at the salon are a rip off. They stylist I used to go to charged me 30 bucks for one. No can do.

msboogee
msboogee

Some people at the salon don’t know anymore then I do

Reply to  msboogee

I would say you know more because it’s your hair. This is the problem with salons. Most salons still operate under the notion that natural hair is something that needs fixing. So they will want to straighten the hair. They will blow fry the heck out of your hair and then apply a flat iron to your strands. Some don’t have the patience to detangle your hair the right way and many will use a small tooth comb ripping through your strands. I saw a youtube video of a girl that went to a local salon so she can get… Read more »

Cece Danielle
Cece Danielle

I do all these myself.

Tracy

Some of us are not as skilled as other naturals. Don’t get me wrong I can do a lot of this stuff on my own but, after being natural for years and taking care of my hair on my own I went to a stylist who is natural and has a large natural clientele here in Chicago at a high end salon… I was amazed at how easily she blow dried my hair and it was honestly nice to pampered. I’ve made it a routine now to go and get my hair blown out every 3 months or so and… Read more »

Stephanie
Stephanie
Reply to  Tracy

$95 is too much for a blow dry and curl… I’m sorry… She must give 50 back as you walk out the salon right, lol? I’m just saying… nothing beats a fabulous stylist but the price alone would keep me from getting in her chair. Thats just not reasonable.

Reply to  Stephanie

It’s not too much because when I get there, I don’t wait I immediately start my wash then I go to her chair… When I was relaxed I spent half the time waiting on the stylist… Also, the two hours that I spend is only because I have SO much hair(VERY DENSE).. Last but most important she knows what she’s doing! I’m not willing to “test” stylists when it comes to my hair… I can literally say that she has had zero problems dealing with my 90% shrinkage prone, DENSE hair no snags pulls or squints when she’s done my… Read more »

stace
stace
Reply to  Tracy

Your experience sounds like one that can be received at high end salons period. All the horrible salon stories I hear on here, elsewhere and I person always occurred at low priced salons.
I get my annual haircut at a pretty decent salon, whereas it is not as pricey as yours its about $65 dollars before tip; it is the same experience you describe and my stylist is white.

Reply to  stace

As long as you’re happy with the results and experience then that’s all that matters! I agree all of the horror stories I’ve heard have been at low priced salons.

Jessica
Jessica
Reply to  Tracy

What salon in Chicago?!? I live here and haven’t found anyone I’m happy wih yet!

cb
cb
Reply to  Jessica

same here, I want to know too!

Reply to  Jessica

I go to the Maxine Salon and ask for Michelle. You can see her on their website, it’s right off of Michigan Ave. She is AMAZING!

Reply to  Stephanie

$95 dollars without even a coloring is way too much. It’s one of the reasons I went natural so I can get away from spending so much money on someone just washing my hair. However, I’m glad you found someone who does a good job and in your opinion is worth the money, but, I personally can’t see myself spending that kind of money. I didn’t like it when I was getting charge about the same rate for a relaxer. In Chicago you probably have your pick of many good salons. I live in an area where its slim pickings… Read more »

Reply to  mlank64

It sucks that you can’t find anyone close to you. But, I was referred to this salon and to Michelle it was my first time straightening my hair since going natural so it had been 4 years. And I was SOOO nervous but, she exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds. So for me I know I could probably find somewhere less expensive and find someone but, I don’t want to play like that with my hair and something bad happens(I’ve literally had nightmares getting relaxers and I wake up in tears, lol)… Plus it’s not like I’m going once… Read more »

Reply to  Tracy

When you find someone who is gentle on your hair and you desire a straight look sans any heat damage you just about found gold. Perhaps it is worth it. Would love to visti Chi town. Always thought it was a cool place to visit.

Reply to  mlank64

Oh yeah she advises about your hair, I mentioned that I want to focus on growth this year and potentially lighten my hair too… She was like if you want growth I would not suggest color with my hair texture/type and that made me go YES! Thank you for your honesty because she could have said yeah do it and made the Salon more money, I really respected that! Last thing she is NOT scissor happy! lol When I was relaxed everyone who did my hair would always feel like they needed to CUT off all of my progress when I… Read more »

Reply to  Tracy

Well Tracy like I said before it sounds like you found gold- what most women are looking for in a stylist. Honesty, integrity, professionalism, and talent all rolled into one and not scissor happy! Great Day in the Morning!

Valerie
Valerie

Its a catch 22…ill give credit to the professional where its due but there have been so many “what the heck is she doing?” or “this style is def not what I asked for” experiences on both my relaxed and natural journey

Stephanie
Stephanie

I don’t agree with the updos, blow outs or sets… All these can be done at home. And you save money. Its going to take some of your time no matter what. Also, most naturals do “test hairstyles” so they know what to expect if they are looking to wear a particular look at a certain time. I believe hair color and cuts can be left to stylists. ( But if you know what you’re doing, just do it yourself ) I’m not a fan of wasting my money just because someone is a “stylist” …PROVE IT! …but sorry, you can’t… Read more »

Winegrrl

It all depends on the skill level. Mine is not exactly high (I’ve barely mastered a decent roller set, lol), so if I were interested in a tricky cut or color then I’d call a stylist…that is, if it weren’t so hard to find a halfway decent natural stylist.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/373989_10151038507301595_137290118_n.jpg[/img]

Winegrrl
Reply to  Winegrrl

Yes, I know this picture is way too big (not to mention the lack of a proper bra), but I can’t figure out how to delete it!

girl
girl
Reply to  Winegrrl

ewwwww 🙁

dudemanboy
dudemanboy
Reply to  girl

don’t worry your beautiful

Reply to  Winegrrl

Your pic is beautiful girl, don’t change a thang!!!

Lauren
Lauren
Reply to  Winegrrl

You are gorgeous don’t worry:)

gapch
gapch

Love this post. A lot of comments that Ive read on this blog and others are from women who are so frustrated that they cant do their own hair or no matter what they do they cant get the desired results they crave. Everyone should not be a DIY hairstylist… If one has the skill to achieve his/her desired results without the help of a stylist then rock on but many individuals would be a lot happier if they just enlisted the help of a professional… there are stylist that specialize in natural hair in every city in the nation who… Read more »

cb
cb
Reply to  gapch

stylists that specialize in natural hair in every city in the nation’ NOT TRUE…I have been to ‘so-called’ natural stylists in Chicago and Dallas and TRUST they do not know what they are doing…I came out better doing my own hair than the professionals…sorry I have had bad experiences with the professional stylist while RELAXED and NATURAL…just saying

gapch
gapch
Reply to  cb

sorry to hear about your experiences… there are great stylists in both cities that your listed. unfortunately you came across bad apples but that doesnt negate the fact that there are many great ones that specialize in natural hair and plenty who may not specialize in natural hair but have been trained to care for natural hair and can service those who want to go.…

Tabitha Ford

It is SO valuable to get feedback from this post. As a hair dresser, I look at my services as ones that will be used by both people who don’t know how to best care for their hair and folks who just want to be pampered. My hair is natural and I’m a hairdresser. However, I occasionally have another hair dresser to style my hair as well. Sometimes I just want to take a load off. While there are a great deal of resources available for DIYers and a NUMBER of hairdressers who didn’t make the most graceful transition to… Read more »

IAAJ

Yes, I can do my own braids, yes I can cornrow my own hair… If I practiced I could do my own blow outs/presses… I’ve colored my own hair (semi and permanent)… But sometimes I just don’t feel like doing it myself. My nearly BSL incredibly dense and thick hair takes FOREVER to do, and sometimes I just don’t have the time, nor am I looking for an arm workout… Also, If I do my own extensions, they don’t necessarily last as long as when someone else does them. Same for my braided styles. I also can never get my… Read more »

cb
cb
Reply to  IAAJ

@IAAJ the problem is finding a professional who will give you the service you deserve, this is hard to find in this community…I don’t know how to braid, cornrow, color or blow-out my hair taking a chance on a stylist that claims to know these things in my mind is very risky…I am soooo tired of doing my hair because it is getting long; I would like to go to a salon and be pampered for the day and walk out with my type 4c hair moisturized and looking fly…come on now…really, really…where is that salon in Dallas? DOES NOT EXIST

Camille
Camille

I can do all of these things at home, but one thing I will say about salons is their styles seem to last much longer in my hair, I had a rod set done in the salon and it lasted for several days because of the products used. I tried to buy the stuff myself, but it still doesn’t last as long. And color I think would be better done by a professional. The rest, I can handle.

sa
sa

I’ve been a DIY’er for yearssss. These styling skills aren’t particularly hard to learn or master. The only one that may be a bit tricky is coloring– especially if you’re wanting a lighter hair color or if you’re wanting to bleach it. With this day and age there’s sooo much more information on how to style AND properly care for natural hair–hair forums, youtube, books, blogs etc.. Even with all that info it really boils down to trial and error, because not every technique or method will work exactly the same for every natural head as for as maintaining and… Read more »

Dabney
Dabney

I agree with the colour! I will Never do my own colour ever again! I practically burned my hair off with an store bought dye. I had to big chop twice! Once when I wanted a new hairdo, then I after I dyed my hair the Dye fried it! It was already 1/2 an inch! I waited until it got to about 3 inches and cut it again! Terrible! I can cut my hair but the Dye’s I will leave to the professionals or I just will skip them altogether!

D.K.

I agree with the ladies who DIY; I do it all except coloring, and even then, if I want highlights I put in my own “Sun-in”. The ONE time I went to a salon (my hair was long and relaxed) I came out not impressed. I do a better job by myself any day, and I really don’t trust salons that say they also do natural hair when their clientele all come in for extensions, braids, and relaxers. Thanks, but no thanks. Point me in the direction of one in NY with loads of great reviews from loyal customers, and… Read more »

Brooke
Brooke
Reply to  D.K.

That “We do natural hair!” thing is such a croc in most average salons. To me, that just means, “We can straighten your hair! Maybe…but how attached are you to your curls? We can’t guarantee it won’t hurt, ‘cus it will. like a b*tch!”

Jesse
Jesse

I’m in need of a trim so bad, but I don’t trust anyone cutting my hair! Any suggestions for cutting your own hair?

LuLu
LuLu
Reply to  Jesse

I learned from Youtube. I believe Naptural85 has a video on trimming…I think.

Karjiana
Karjiana
Reply to  LuLu

She does. Here’s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq4UODOJAiA

Pierrela
Pierrela
Reply to  Jesse

I have very little to no split ends since my Big Chop. I blow dry/flat iron every 6 months to length check…so I “dust” my hair. When I go back to my curly hair, on a clean set of dry Two-Strand Twists as I untwist I clip the very ends. I started this routine April 2012 after reading the Curly Girl Method book I modified a lot of the methods to suit my hair needs…hope this helps.

Maria
Maria

I agree with the article. In MY experience, healthy and CONSISTENT hair care is best achieved when hair is supervised under the watchful eye of a professional.

That doesn’t mean these things can’t be done at home, but the risk of making a major mistake is much lower when you get help from a pro.

I am terrible with scissors because my hands tend to get shaky! I can never trim/cut evenly. I also tend to be rough on my hair when blow-drying/heat styling, so I just leave it all to my stylist.

But that’s just me!

person
person
Reply to  Maria

what if your stylist dies in a zombie apocalypse? WHAT THEN?!

gapch
gapch
Reply to  person

find a new one

jessybabe
jessybabe

I would never color my hair myself. That’s like me trying to slap a perm up there, end up like Tina in What’s Love Got To Do With It. (ok maybe bad reference)I use to get my hair trimmed at a salon (before I started my natural journey), but I felt like they were cutting too much off, even when I protested about how much was being cut off, I would get “Oh it needs a trim, I can tell” and I would fall for it because I would think “well maybe I should hush because they are the professionals”… Read more »

Ang
Ang

my last salon experience was a nightmare, no more salons for me

gapch
gapch
Reply to  Ang

u shouldn’t let one bad experience prevent u from ever going to a salon again. there are good beauticians and bad ones. j/s

fluffy-in-flight
fluffy-in-flight

As long as these hands are attached to the sides of my body, and they can move. I will be doing everything myself.

TWA4now

I don’t think I’ll be going to the beauty shop for anything anytime soon. Either they overcharged me for a half way decent job, undercharged me and still didn’t know what they were doing (More than once and it was a roller set and cut) The first couple of words were…“I don’t know how to…” or they didn’t do a good job and charged me as if I was getting a relaxer or tried to talk me into a low timed relaxer. One person even made fun of my weight. No, I’m not a size 6 or 26 either. I… Read more »

**Sweetie06**
**Sweetie06**
Reply to  TWA4now

Oh, he was wrong. You should have talked to the manager. A hairstylist has no business commenting on a client’s weight or size. And I know what you mean by them now knowing how to do certain styles. It’s hard to find a good stylist. I once went to a natural hair salon for a medium sized straw set, and the girl (she looked like she was about 19) gave me a style that was basically comb coils and looked kind of like small locs.…which would’ve been great if that was what I asked for. I even asked her if… Read more »

TWA4now
Reply to  **Sweetie06**

Thank you! It was his “own” shop and it wasn’t what he said but how and one the sly with his comments. I ignored him for the most part because he came recommended online and I was desperate. He did a good job but charged me sooooo much…shooooot, for a few more dollars I could have had a Remy weave (no lie Or no lye now)! I am glad that you found your perfect stylist. I have always let others do and experiment with and in my hair and it is high time I learned how for myself. Maybe one… Read more »

**Sweetie06**
**Sweetie06**

I think that if you are great at doing all of these styles/processes yourself, then you shouldn’t go to the salon, however, I am not good at doing my hair in more advanced styles, so for many things, the salon is it for me.

I am bad at cornrows and flat twists, so if I want an updo involving those, I need a stylist. I refuse to cut my hair. Trim it? Sure. But I will never cut my hair by myself.

**Sweetie06**
**Sweetie06**
Reply to  **Sweetie06**

I meant to add that after 4 years, I FINALLY found a good braider who knows about the health of natural hair. She’s gentle with my hair, knows how to cut it, braid, and is great with braided extensions. She’s the only person I will ever go to and if she stops braiding, I’ll be going to my sister or learning how to do more intricate styles on my own.

dawn
dawn

i’ve always done my hair myself, and i’m forever getting compliments. most ppl who ask me about my hair think i got it done professionally, as i’ve been asked several times. i do everything myself, even dyes, because my aunt was a beautician so i was forever learning and practicing dying on my own head at home. there’s nothing to it. i’ve always done my own trims ever since i left home. i would not pay someone to do that for me. about the only thing i would ever go to a stylist for might be if i wanted a… Read more »

Tisha
Tisha

I am not at all interested in blowouts but other than that I’ve achieved a lot of styles by myself. I experiment when I know I have nowhere special to go. I thought I would never dabble in color, but guess what? I did my highlights without help. I’m just one of those who hates the idea of going to the salon and has trust issues when it comes to hair lol. But to each her own.

LBell
LBell

The only times I’ve gone to a stylist in the last 10 years were for two BCs and two trims on the last BC (because I’d planned to keep my hair TWA-short until I got bored and started this latest grow-round). I’ve only colored my hair once and it was a disaster so if I did color I’d definitely seek out a stylist who could work with my hair type. Other than that…I understand why some people are willing to pay for those other services but I’m not one of them. Going natural and staying natural has literally saved me thousands… Read more »

Allegra
Allegra

I am not a DIY’er! I have a stylist that I love she does color, trims and styling. My DIY roller/rod sets never come out right, I can’t braid or flat twist all I can do it put my hair in a big puff! ‑which I wear like 80% of the time. So I agree with the article, for me some things are better left to the pros!

Taylor
Taylor
Reply to  Allegra

I agree that some things are better left to the pros. I can do my hair but I choose not to. I like going to get my hair done and after hectic weeks of 32 6th graders in one room, that is my treat to me. Conversation, relaxation and hair taken care of. I work hard and don’t do much b/c hubby and I are so busy pastoring the church; so this is how I can BGTY(M)as Ledisi would say. “Be good to yourself”. Well, this is my way of being good to myself! LOL Loving the natural hair journey…

TWA4now
Reply to  Taylor

Please re read my post about the “professional” and my nice butt green frog color that was suppose to be dark brown after I told her I had bits of gray in my hair! :/ Thanks professional for my lovely
green hair!:(
YES, I did go back for a “correction” but NOT by the same person! #wasquietlyupsetlikeadown
gradedhurricane!

Deedeemaha
Deedeemaha

Perhaps for color. I’ve been natural for 3 1/2 years. Went to salon for kinky twists, to tight! Have not been back. I do them myself now, I just kept try N. I know from my own mistake that things can go wrong fast, but they or my mistakes and I learn from them. I tell anyone who can’t do their hair to go to a perfessional (key word perfessional ) not someone who just want to do natural hair because its popular. I know they need to start somewhere, but just not on me. I feel that if they really… Read more »

JENNID
JENNID

The cost factor and dependency is what keeps me away from getting my hair done professionally. Finacial wise it is not a good way to spend my money. I tend to like simple hair styles so doing them myself isn’t hard.

I do agree that a hair color and a cut are trickier but not undoable. I could do blow outs in my sleep.

shelikes
shelikes

her hair looks super processed, so i wouldnt go to her for work on natural hair. not that i am criticizing highly processed natural hair. i just happen to like the fuzz mixed with curl natural look. just need someone to help keep it shiny and kinky but will never try a stylist again. they do what they want to do and not what i ask them to do. never again. i dont color my hair, though. if i needed color, i WOULD go to a very very well known and reputable salon with certified colorists who have good communication… Read more »

Geoux
Geoux
Reply to  shelikes

So because her hair looks “super processed” to you, you wouldn’t go to her… ‑_- lol. But you would go to a stylist for color. Clearly, she went to a stylist for color. And she has natural hair, personal experience and a clear twist out. Soooo what’s the difference? You would feel better with someone that has no color doing your color.. Hmm…

Hrenee
Hrenee
Reply to  shelikes

Her hair does look questionable.

AlllSmiless
AlllSmiless

I would never EVER let a stylist give me a blow out or anything to do with heat. I am way to paranoid for that. Heat damage is one of the things you can’t repair. I can get a decent blow out using the tension method on low to cool heat and a decent flat ironing with the comb chase method and a water based heat protectant (keeps the hair from being weighed down and limp)

TWA4now

Oh yes, I did go to a “professional” and asked for dark brown hair color and a few days later my hair turned a slight hue of green?! I told her before the process I had bits of gray in my hair but idk what happened or didn’t happen. Yes, I went back and tired not to act like a crazy person, but I did let it be known who did it and yes I still had to pay for the “CORRECTION” 🙁 It was only semi-permanent dye too. I could have brought a box of Miss___and did it myself… Read more »

Tami
Tami

I would never pay for an updo as all it would involve for me is bobby pinning up my hair and it’s only for one night. Color/cut? Always go to a pro.

Yahti
Yahti

I wouldn’t cut or color my own hair and since my hair has grown to bsl I haven’t the energy to straighten so I found a good stylist actually she was my stylist from when I had a perm but she’s seen my progress and will now listen to my requests.

Quisha
Quisha

I don’t go to he salon as much as I use to. Luckly my BFF is hairdresser and is natural and does natural hair. So when I need a break I go to her.I just recently had her twist my hair up.

Cheri
Cheri

I color my hair by myself all the time AND I’ve learned to do a better job than my old Hair Designer. I use professional level products, get great gray coverage and no problems with it being dry afterward. I deep condition after and have excellent results!

Cheri
Cheri

I color my hair by myself ALL the time. I use http://www.esalon.com professional level products, get great gray coverage and have no issues with dryness afterward. I’ve learned to do a better job than my old stylist! I deep condition like I would have had in the salon under the dryer for 30 mins and it looks and feels great with my regular routine.

Lynda
Lynda

I’d never go to a regular salon to get a blow out, they truly don’t care how high a heat they use, I’ll do it myself thank you!

Tassy
Tassy
Reply to  Lynda

Sorry tried to thumbs up your comment. But a licensed beautician can’t touch my hair. They don’t care about hair health only and the look. So no thank you!!!

soulmama

I go to the salon once a month to get my dread locks done. I see very little about this natural style, if any on this web site. My locs are down to my waist, so I am definitely BGLH!!!

Pseudonym
Pseudonym

I don’t go to the salon, but like that the focus of this article is in customer service and giving the service that the customer wants instead of what the stylist thinks they should have. Very nice!

Marcy Wade
Marcy Wade

I have locs,i go to the shop once a month to have mine twisted..i have thick long hair so i color it myself and wash it. My hairdresser is the best ‚but shes slow!

happyhair
happyhair

I do everything but cut and color. I happen to have found an amazing women who knows that a trim really means TRIM! She knows how particular I am about my hair and she respects that.

Deedeemaha
Deedeemaha

Salons ! What’s that? Lol

Deeva
Deeva

I actually do agree. Sometimes the best news help. However my stylist ONLY does natural hair and is a natural herself. Her salon is a natural environment, the only chemical in there is color. Some ladies are wonderful with their own hair, but there’s no shame in getting help from a professional salon.

Andrea
Andrea
Reply to  Deeva

I don’t go to salons but if I did it would not be to one where relaxers are given. I don’t want the possible suggestion to come up because I have heard stylists lie to clients saying a texturizer is not a relaxer and they are still natural. I henna for color..I have never heard of a salon doing henna.