5 Length Retention Tips for Naturals with Slow Growth

Avatar • Jun 17, 2013

slowgrowth

By Chinwe of Hair and Health

Let’s be real.  Not every natural grows the average 6 inches of hair per year under optimal health conditions. Some grow 7 inches or more.  Others grow 5 inches, 4 inches, or possibly less.  Remember, 6 inches per year is just the average – not everyone’s – hair growth rate.

Today I want to encourage those with slow hair growth.  First, check out this earlier post to see if you have exhausted all avenues to reach your optimal growth rate.  Secondly, there is no need to feel defeated or inferior.  This is not a race.  This is not about how you fair against others.  This is about reaching your own personal goal, which can be done.

I want to discuss how you can reach your goal length if you have been struggling until now.   The reality is that your method may have to differ greatly from someone who has a faster growth rate.  This is because every one third or quarter of an inch is crucial in your case.  The following is a strategy that helped me to reach my goal in five years:

1. Detangle once a month or less

Detangling is probably one of the biggest sources of mechanical breakage of the hair, so the less often you do it, the better – with the exception of a caveat.  That caveat is to keep your hair as untangled as possible (for example, via protective styling) during the month.

With frequent or excessive detangling, breakage or mid-shaft splits can accumulate over time.  This is why it is important for a natural with slow growth to detangle once a month or less, if possible.  Weekly or even biweekly detangling may hinder length retention.

2. Limit trimming to no more than half an inch a year

As a natural with slow growth, if you need to trim off more than half an inch (or even one inch) of damaged ends a year, then you may want to evaluate what in your regimen is causing that damage.  Are your ends splitting due to excessive and improper heat use? Are they splitting because of inadequate moisture or over-manipulation?  If you keep your ends under good care, there is no reason why you should have to cut more than half an inch every year.

3. Find a great staple conditioner and invest in good natural oils

Though many naturals can benefit from this tip, it needs special emphasizing for those with slow growth.  You see, a great staple conditioner and good set of natural oils can help immensely with retaining almost every bit of growth you get.  These products can transform a breakage-filled detangling session into a virtually breakage-free one.  They can coat the hair strand to reduce friction from combing and styling.  They can also strengthen OR moisturize the strand to decrease formation of splits on the end and mid-shaft.  Use your oils and conditioner religiously.

4. Be EXTREMELY patient when detangling

Even with the above tips, a rushed detangling session can cost you all the growth you achieved in the month or over the course of a few months.  Take your time as you detangle through each section, and if it helps, play some calming slow music in the background.  (I personally like Maxwell and Daley.)

5. If you can, incorporate long-term protective styling

The reason I say “if you can” is that some naturals simply do not fair well with long-term protective styling.  However, if you want to give it a try, then start by extending your twists or braids from one week to three weeks and then eventually to four or five weeks.  Check out this earlier post on how to make protective styles last a long time.

Ladies, have any of these techniques helped you with length retention?

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

JENNID
JENNID

Good tips. I,‘d also add try using some protein based conditioners every so often to help strengthen your hair.

msboogee
msboogee

I don’t believe in slow growth

cb
cb
Reply to  msboogee

Is it because the words ‘slow’ and ‘growth’ does not make sense? This is a wonderful post

ladyluo
ladyluo
Reply to  cb

How does it not make sense? The rate of growth is different for different people. Some can be slow, some can be fast, average, etc.

Kate
Kate
Reply to  msboogee

You don’t have to believe in it. It exists whether you do or don’t believe it.

adashofk.blogspot.co.uk

Jax
Jax
Reply to  msboogee

Looks like the troll is back for her daily episode of ‘Mindless Foolery’…

dawn
dawn
Reply to  msboogee

i agree insomuch as it’s all relative. if you come from an area or ehtnicity (hypothethically speaking, as always) in which all or most of the individuals have a hair growth average of 3 inches a year, then to you, 4 inches a year would be exceptionally fast. by contrast, if you hail from a region or ethnic group in which most individuals or all tend to grow about 7 inches a year, then to you, 6 would seem unusually slow. it’s truly relative, when you think about it. so from this perspective, there IS no such thing as slow,… Read more »

mangomadness
mangomadness

I don’t know (or care to know) about my rate of hair growth but I am gentle with my hair so as to foster length retention in my kinky, coily Afro-textured, super dense hair.

I consistently follow techniques 3 and 4.

Other things I do to foster length retention are:
— detangle before shampoo-ing
— finger-detangle 98% of the time (2% of the time I use a seamless wide-tooth comb)
— wash and condition in twisted sections (10)
— wear stretched styles (braid-outs)
— protective style often (cinnabuns, donut buns and updos)
— trim 1/4 inch to 1/2 an inch every 4 months

monisola
monisola

HALLELUJAH for this post! I am a slow growth natural and it took me 4 years to figure out that all of these tips were beneficial.I wish I had seen this post back in 2009– Especially detangling infrequently BUT gently and doing longer term protective styles. Oily finger detangling using coconut oil not a water based conditioner, is best for me. (water=weaker shrunken-tangled hair for me) 4 week mini braids and 3 week kinky twists, havana twists, or yarn braids with ADEQUATE moisture have been a god sent to my length retention. Also using a leave in with a little protien. I… Read more »

monisola
monisola
Reply to  monisola

mini braids with my OWN hair.

stephanieb
stephanieb
Reply to  monisola

I agree this post is great and I definitely needed it a few years ago as well. Nevertheless, I’ve gone back to the drawing board and did the BC about a month ago and have been wearing a wig since then and my hair has done so good. I had a great deal of heat damage and had to cut it off because my hair was spliting like crazy, but my hair has done so well since then. I have 4a/b hair and out of all of the things I’ve tried, and I “done tried them all”, from Carol’s Daughter,… Read more »

Charlotte

I have very fast growing, hip length hair and while I am probably going to get booed on this I want to say this to help that one who is willing to hear me out. I strongly disagree with almost everything in this article. I have never lost more length until I started protective styling. Not everyone should protective style. I was very gentle and used silk hair accessories, big loose ones, and banana clips, and my hair suffered massive breakage even from loose bunning. I especially advise to take precaution against any sort of wet updo. The reason my… Read more »

jmh
jmh
Reply to  Charlotte

Do you have 4a b or c hair? I sincerely doubt it!!!

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH
Reply to  jmh

RUDE

Jessica
Jessica
Reply to  Charlotte

Well,I would say that you discredited yourself right off the rip when you said that you have fast growing hair. THe article it meant for those with slow growing hair- so your hip length hair is irrelevant, BUT I will say that i do agree with you in that protective styling is not for everyone and i have had your same experience with protective styling. My hair grows pretty fast as well, but mainly when i leave it alone. I attribute that more to the width of my hair than to my growth cycle. My hair is very fine, and… Read more »

stephanieb
stephanieb
Reply to  Jessica

I totally agree Jesssica, you have to find what works for you and stick with it, not going with everything someone else says or everything you read in an article. I learned the hard way about doing that unfortunately. And I agree, I doubt that Charlotte has 4a/b hair, people can kill me talking about their hair and making comparisons, SMH!

My4CHair
My4CHair
Reply to  Jessica

Protective styling is best for type 4 hair as this is the most fragile hair type, you probably don’t have type 4 hair…

silkynaps
silkynaps
Reply to  Charlotte

My hair is predominately 4c, but I’m not a fan of protective styles because I don’t care for fuzzy hair. However, I am a fan of leaving hair alone!

Once, my hair reached puff length, that became my go-to style. By keeping the tension minimal and keeping my edges smooth, I find that I can go a few days without actually having to handle my hair which, for me, results in optimal retention. My daughter has 4a hair and wore a puff most days of her childhood. While under my care, her hair reached her tailbone.

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  Chinwe

Chinwe, this is an excellent article, but I must disagree with your assertions on split ends. I’ve tried going longer than 4 months without trimming–and I lost so much more length that way. I classify myself as a slow growing natural, and when I went without trimming for 6 months, I lost 4 inches of my hair–including the 2 inches I painstakingly grew. Some fine haired naturals are very prone to splits and need to trim every 2–3 months. By doing so, and by protective styling with my own hair (styling with fake hair always increases splits for me), I… Read more »

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  Dananana

I forgot to mention: when I “trim” every 2–3 months, I’m really dusting. I never take off more than 1/4 inch.

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  Chinwe

Chimwe, my comment was not intended as an attack on your advice. Rather, I wanted to provide anecdotal evidence of my own for those who read this thinking “My hair would not like me if I only trim an inch a year.” That being said, my apologies for misinterpreting your advice. Stating ‘No two heads are alike’ was my justification for presenting my highly anecdotal evidence–what works for me may not work for others. Thanks 🙂

stephanieb
stephanieb
Reply to  Dananana

Hi Dananana, if you don’t mind me asking, what types of styles is your hair normally in? Looking for ideas. Your hair sounds alot like mine. My hair doesn’t do too good with not trimming it because my hair is fine, very coarse, and dry and splits so easily.

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  stephanieb

Hi stephanieb,

My hair is fine, low/average density, fragile, and when I neglect my current regimen, dry as all get out. I normally keep my hair in medium sized two strand twists through the work week, and then on Saturdays (sometimes Friday nights), I untwist with jojoba oil and wear the resulting twist out until Sunday, which is cowash/wash day. I retwist on Sunday and repeat. I keep my twists from getting boring by mixing it up with flat twists on the side/ back and by pinning the twists up into different styles for the week 🙂

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH
Reply to  Dananana

THATS AVERAGE

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  TINA SMITH

Yeah, and I wasn’t retaining that average growth until I switched things up.…which was the point of my comment…

monisola
monisola
Reply to  Charlotte

I tried everything you do with your hair for the first year and a half of my journey and had little to NO retention. It was not until i started protective styling that my length budged at all. Please, everyone has different hair. There IS A REASON why millions of black women in the world SWEAR by protective styling. We are not cray-cray ok?!?

DreamGirl
DreamGirl

Great article,I have this problem,been natural 3 years and my hair is barely bsl. I have fine 4c hair so I will try to wash my hair less often and try to be gentler when I detangle.

Sabrina Antoinnette
Reply to  DreamGirl

@dreamgirl this is my greatest fear! I also have mixed texture hair that is a mix of normal/fine 4a/b/c depending on the area of my scalp. This article was right on time for me. I just made a pact with myself regarding the same things: more patience, less detangling (this is a big one for me because I have to cleanse every 2 weeks due to sensitive skin & scalp), and in spite of how much I love wearing my hair out — more protective styling. My goal is to wear protective styles at least 50% of the time with a… Read more »

stephanieb
stephanieb

I’m trying to do the same thing too Sabrina, trying to wear more protective styles, which is hard because I love wearing my hair out too. I have been wearing a wig for the past few weeks since I did the big chop so that I can protect my hair and let it grow out some but I REALLY miss wearing it out, especially in all of this heat.

Tabatha
Tabatha

Right now I’m wearing cornrows help my hair grow out. I’ll be taking them out in about 2 weeks. Then I think I’ll let my hair rest and then I’m going to try twist braids.

ladyluo
ladyluo

I do have slow growing hair and I am really trying to incorporate long term protective styling though it is so hard for me to go more than a week without handling my hair. The long term protective styling will also be beneficial for me so that I am not constantly checking my hair for growth on a weekly basis.

Jessybabe
Jessybabe

My hair at the moment is up grazing my shoulders. I don’t have a protective go to style due to my uneven/ short length. I do know that if I do not detangle my hair, may god help me cuz a whole heap of knots will be waiting for me

Yas
Yas

Good tips in theory and I’m definitely intrigued enough to find a way to make this work, but this would result in the reduced washing of one’s hair. It’s sort of like robbing Peter to pay Paul when both are necessary; and I wonder if it’s really worth it. Limiting detangling may prevent breakage; but dirty unwashed hair weakens the shaft and that ALSO causes breakage. If you notice, the stands of hair in dreadlocked styles are sealed–so there’s no concern for tangling and that does allow for length. However, unlocked hair will tangle when washed. There’s really no way… Read more »

melissa
melissa

These tips seem to relate more to retention than growth rate; which would make them applicable to everyone, not just those with ‘slow growth’. I personally have normal growth but tend to have issues with ssk’s and mid shaft splits. I could see how some may think their hair is growing slower if breakage is playing a role

mangomadness
mangomadness
Reply to  melissa

I agree! I think length retention should be the focus if one desires longer hair. Growth rate is hard to ascertain and cannot be changed.

LBell
LBell
Reply to  melissa

Completely agree with this… Growth is an internal process that can’t be controlled anywhere near as much as length retention can be. Fixation on how fast the hair comes out of the follicles is counterproductive IMO. It’s FAR more important to focus on making one’s external hair care as damage-free as possible, and this post reflects that. I don’t think growth rates really matter with regards to the tips found here. If I didn’t know better, I’d call myself a slow grower. However, when I wore a TWA on the regular I’d have to get it trimmed every 3 weeks so it… Read more »

Tee-winder
Tee-winder

Excellent tips! THE KEY FOR SLOW GROWERS IS TO HAVE A REGIMEN THAT RETAINS YOUR HAIR!! As time goes on, even though you are a slow grower, you will still have very long hair in however many years. I started my journey in 2009 and now my hair is approaching waist length (the longest length). I am a slow grower so instead of getting to waist length in 4 years, it will probably take me 4 and 1/2 years or maybe even 4 and 3/4’s of a year. That’s okay with me. I’m comfortable with my slow growth because I… Read more »

Mesha
Mesha
Reply to  Tee-winder

I’m sorry, but I had to laugh when you said that you have been natural for 4 yrs and your hair is waist length. Honey, that is NOT slow, that’s extremely fast! Shoot, I’ve been natural since 2009 and my hair is barely past my shoulders…and that’s at my nape! Now THAT’S slow! And I’ve been doing everything I can think of to get my hair to grow: prenatal pills, biotin, washing every other week, once a month, every week, moisturize, etc and NOTHING seems to get my hair to sprout out! The only way I can tell that my… Read more »

Monisola
Monisola

it is hard to ascertain and to change, but trusssst me, some people’s scalps push hair out more slowly than others, it is a fact of nature that all bodies are not the same, some scalps grow hair more slowly than others.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu

stimulating your scalp with 1)scalp massages(using oils), 2)the inversion method(standing on your head or leaning forward for several minutes), and 3)ingesting vitamins like A, C, and E help as well. But whatever rate you grow at, it is retention of the length that matters, not the growth of it. We grow all the time, but it is hard to keep it without the right haircare practises. So ladies, make sure you have a good regimen and protective styles. That’s the most important thing.

shelikes
shelikes

aside, the model is beautiful. i like this site because some of the women featured are so pretty.

shelikes
shelikes

they are very inspiring. short shiny black nappy hair beautiful cocoa colored face and i absolutely need to know the color of the lip gloss she is wearing lol.

Rachel
Rachel

I suffer with Systemic Lupus and have experienced slow hair growth and thinning (particularly in the edges and crown of my hair) in the last 2 years since diagnosis in 2010. I have been religiously caring for my locks using shea butter, coconut oil, castor/argan oil, daily scalp massages, taking vitamins and observing a Lupus diet — but have seen very slow progress in terms of growth. I recently had a protective style (kinky twists) put in and advised my hairdresser about the problems with my edges and crown so that she could apply them gently. However, after 3 weeks… Read more »

nigeria

I wonder if growth aids like biotin and viviscal could help those who lose hair due to medical conditions?

L.u
L.u

The problem for me generally is that as much as I look into tips and advice, no one who knows better is able to see, touch, and feel my hair. I feel like for some of us, we simply lack something in our knowledge base that prevents us from understanding our hair. For example, if a product does not work well, one should cease its usage. But people like me would continue to use it because we are oblivious to the fact that Product X is ruining the hair. Or we keep doing twists as a protective style, when twists… Read more »

anon
anon

I wish i was mixed with something instead of being just ”black”. Then i would have nicer and better hair and better skin and then guys would find me attractive 🙁

Rebecca
Rebecca
Reply to  anon

I find just plain old African American women very beautiful, I am not mixed and couldn’t love myself anymore than I do now. Besides don’t you get tired of hearing about how mix women are prettier, more attractive etc. that is just a myth. If you want people(men) to love you you have to love yourself first don’t blame you for who you are. Black women are beautiful too-have you seen black people who are loved? ex; Viola Davis, Alek Wek

anon
anon
Reply to  Rebecca

I am not trying to be rude but i don’t really think those two were that great examples. That made me feel even worse 🙁

Positive Vibes
Positive Vibes
Reply to  anon

I know this was posted 2 years ago, but someone might read this someday. Lol, let me give you some better examples: Gabrielle Union, whose in her 40’s and can give some 20 yr olds a run for their money (out skin is the bomb-diggity) Dana Davis, who I think is adorbs Adaora Akubilo, a sports illustrated model with short natural hair. Its sports illustrated, men all over the world think she’s gorgeous. (she’s as african as you can get) Mo Abudu, in her 50s and shes still got it. I agree with the commentor on top, if you feel like this… Read more »

Phoxxie
Phoxxie
Reply to  anon

Whoa are you serious or are you just being a troll? You cannot be serious. Just “black”? Straight hair doesn’t equate to nicer hair. Nor does skin color. You have a lot of issues and I really dont think its how you look that doesnt attract guys. Its your attitude and the fact that you’re nuts.

anon
anon
Reply to  Phoxxie

No I am not a troll. I really do feel this way and so do thousands of other black women. It really is an absolute torture feeling like this. It is seriously causing me to become depressed and dislike myself even more. I have always been told how ugly i was because of the colour of my skin and my hair. In high school i was threathened by my entire class to get a perm or they will continue to torture me. Someone even told me that they would bring a gun to shoot me if i didnt do it. Now… Read more »

MM
MM
Reply to  anon

This is how you feel so your feelings are legitimate and likely come from years of bullying and seeing yourself through other people’s eyes. However, you clearly know by your statements that it’s not the way you SHOULD feel. All people are beautiful and you will learn that in time. I would encourage you to seek professional counseling to deal with the past issues that brought you to feel this way. It will take a while but it will truly help. Blessings to you my friend 🙂

Hannah
Hannah

The rate your hair grows is genetic there nothing you can do about that. Detangling is one give point but not the only. I notice I had faster hair growth when one i exercise regularly & drink a lot of water. Two when I was eating healthy ex. I started adding spinach & greens to my diet my hair was thicker, I also had to reduce the amount of sugar & coffee in my diet. All theses things have more to do with over all health & diet then hair.

The Mane Captain

detangling once a month will only work for those who do protective styling for that long. If you leave your hair out most of the time, then you’ll need to detangle more than once a month.
while protective styling are great for length retention, one might end up loosing all the hair you’ve managed to retain if proper care isn’t taken while the hair is in a protective state.

but all good points!
themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

lovingthenaturallife
lovingthenaturallife

I condition and go everyday and wear my hair out, I do finger comb, but I only seriously detangle my hair once a month and in the past year since the bc I’ve had 7 inches of growth. So detangling everyday even for those who wear their hair out isn’t always necessary.

LYnne HArrison

I took my daughters locks down and her hair grew like a foot and a half in a year in a half and she retained most of her hair after take down. Now I have her hair in micro braids which I plan to take down and redo every six months to a year. I will interlock in between time, which is what I did with her prior locks. For maintance, I wash every two weeks and apply oil to her hair every day. Rather it be coconut, shea, or/and castor oil. Her hair is past her waist and this… Read more »

LYnne HArrison
Reply to  LYnne HArrison

Sorry I said foot and a half in year in a half…should have been in 2 years in a half that it grew that long

LYnne HArrison

This is what her hair looks like unbraided and with shrinkage
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/DSCF1967.JPG[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/DSCF1967‑1.JPG[/img]

Toni
Toni
Reply to  LYnne HArrison

Beautiful

Nana Esco
Nana Esco

I think thicker hair is so much more beautiful than fine thin hair.

agility exercises paleo diet for athletes ebook

Individual soccer drills are an effective way for you
to work on your general fitness, improve ball control
and improve anticipation. The articulation of each vertebrae
helps the spine to become stronger instead of being stiff and tight.
Now, if you think that you are dedicated enough to lose your stubborn belly and transform it into a six pack abs, the Truth about Six Pack Abs
e — Book is a big help and I feel so positive with this
program.

cpu
cpu

I am really grateful to the holder of this web page who has shared this great post at here.

cheap garden shed plans

The one standard factor amongst these diet plans is they are
weight loss diets. With the materials lists included in the 12 x 16
shed plans there is no guess work. For the avid woodworker there are over 12,000 woodwork plans, and design projects,
and also filled with new ideas including a stable, and things more simple like a small clock
housing.

PPF Shipping

There are many ways that the American flag can be shown, yet nothing looks more grand and amazing than a raised flag on a
flag pole. As they have vast experience to handle broad range of materials and goods, they provide complete professional transportation solution for freight shipping requirements.
with the main objects of carrying Shipbuilding and Ship
Repair business.

Flossie

It too a wonderful notion to ensure thy contain the precise
supplies tht ou need, such as fixings. It should serve the purpose as
well as it is going to blend nicely within the garden environment.
You must look for blue prints, detailed instructions and specifications on how you are going to
make the project.

decorating a living room

The SMS advertising plan is called white label mobile marketing.
Not only you get to have a profitable business or career, you also get to help
lots of people in the process. Remember that a mobile platform should be an
extension of your existing marketing plan, not the center of it.

Xt genix review

Thankfulness to my father who told me concerning this
weblog, this web site is actually amazing.

Stephan

Paragraph writing is also a fun, if you be familiar
with afterward you can write or else it is difficult to write.

Green products

We’re a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community.
Your web site offered us with valuable info to work on.
You have done a formidable job and our whole community will be thankful to you.

Phillis

Hi, i believe that i noticed you visited my blog so i came to return the prefer?.I’m trying to find
issues to enhance my web site!I guess its ok to make use of some of your concepts!!

whiten teeth

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my web site so i came to “return
the favor”.I am trying to find things to enhance my website!I suppose its ok to use a few of your
ideas!!

movie

Do you have a spam issue on this site; I also am a blogger, and I was curious about your situation; we
have created some nice practices and we are looking to trade strategies with others, please shoot me an e‑mail if interested.

Aline

Hey! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO?
I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good success.
If you know of any please share. Kudos!

Marcel

I’ve learn several just right stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting.
I wonder how a lot effort you set to create one of
these excellent informative website.

best auto polishers ratings

Hi, just wanted to mention, I enjoyed this blog post.
It was inspiring. Keep on posting!

Judson

In 1928, the Castellammarese War broke out between Masseria’s family and members of a
rival family bossed by another Mustache Pete named Salvatore Maranzano.
He became fast friends with Capone, the latter serving as his
best man on his wedding day in 1927. Heart pounding, mad
as Hell, I wondered what can I, David, do to slay the Giant, GE Money.