3 Wash and Go Techniques for Type 3 Natural Hair

Avatar • Jun 11, 2013

Screen Shot 2013-06-11 at 10.52.32 AM

By Chinwe of Hair and Health

Wash and gos are worn by many curly naturals, but finding that perfect “wash and go” routine is not always easy.  Here are a few suggestions for my Type 3 natural ladies:

1. Simple finger-combed wash and go

Jess’ wash and go routine is very simple, involving co-washing and then raking through with conditioner followed by a styling gel. To preserve her wash and go for the week, she wears the “pineapple” at night, which you can view in this video tutorial.

Products used in this tutorial:
As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner
Tresemme’ Naturals Conditioner
Paul Mitchell ”The Conditioner”
Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel

2. Finger-twirled wash and go with oiled ends

Alba follows up with a moisturizer and then twirls her strands to define her curls.  She also uses jojoba oil on the ends of her hair to combat dryness.  This method may be ideal for those who easily experience frizz, who want a more defined wash and go, or who experience dry ends.

Products used in this tutorial:
Deva Curl NO POO
Deva Curl One Condition
Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner
Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
Trader Joes 100% Pure Jojoba Oil

3. Diffused wash and go for when you are on the go

Kendra uses a moisturizer followed by a styler and then diffuses her wash and go to speed up the drying process. This method is done weekly and is ideal for those who do not want to walk around with wet hair or who are in a rush.

Products used in this tutorial:
Mane N Tail Olive Oil Complex Herbal Gro Conditioner
Mane N Tail Deep Moisturizing Conditioner
Loreal Power Moisture Moisture Rush Mask
Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Trader Joe’s Organic Coconut Oil
Kinky Curly Original Curling Custard

Ladies, what is your “wash and go” routine?

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

Jamila
Jamila

OMG all three of them have beautiful type 3 hair. Thanks for the tips.

Jamila
Jamila

I looked at all three videos and follow a routine similar to the first video. My products are Herbal Essences Hello Hydration shampoo and conditioner, VO5 Moisture Milks conditioner as a leave in, WonderGro Castor and Coconut Protein Complex for my scalp, WonderGro Hair Polish for frizz control, and Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel. I wash and condition once a week and co wash once a week. I love the styling method of the second video I think I’m going to try that sometime this week.

Jasper
Jasper

My goodness people go hard for wash n gos. It seems those that don’t have a YouTube account say they are disastrous but every other week we are getting info about them.

Mai
Mai

They all have beautiful hair, but I was expecting a type 4 for at least one example.

Efuru
Efuru
Reply to  Mai

Why? The title plainly says for Type 3 hair

Mai
Mai
Reply to  Efuru

Because I just did. Does that answer your question. And to be more specific, I was hoping for a list of both. Haven’t seen a wash n go for type 4 hair.

Lita
Lita
Reply to  Mai

1) All these women have hair to die for! 2) to further hijack this thread in the direction of type 4… Well, I’m sure that there are far more type 3s who wash and go, and probably make requests for this site to advise on them. And anyway, who knows that there won’t be a post for type 4s too. I’m sure a type 4 with hair that doesn’t curl or coil can do a wash and go, but just not have defined curls. Saying that, here are some type 4 wash and goes for defined curls. http://www.youtube.com/user/WomanInTheJungle http://coilyas123.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/how-to-wash-go-shingle-on-kinky-coily.html http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ordbebkOSgU (most similar to… Read more »

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Lita

Also from BGLH itself, from this past April:

(end hijack)

c
c
Reply to  Mai

another question: do you know how to read? it’s clearly stated it’s NOT a list for both, so why are you whining?

Nay
Nay
Reply to  Mai

@ Mai…I have very thick 4a/b hair and #1 by Jess does work for me. It may work for you also.

Marci
Marci
Reply to  Mai

YouTube AliciaJamesMusic. She has type 4 hair and does beautiful wash and goes.

Mai
Mai
Reply to  Marci

Thanks! I will definitely check her out.

Savannah
Savannah
Reply to  Mai

Try Naptural85 and Blakizbeautyful too!

Alli
Alli
Reply to  Mai

Generally speaking most Type 4s can’t do a wash n go because they don’t have curls. Their wash n go produces a cotton texture and will look more like an Afro. Type 4a hair, which has very tight ringlets, can do a wash n go, but that is not a common hair type. You can search YouTube but you probably won’t find much.

Lita
Lita
Reply to  Alli

what’s wrong with it looking like an afro? so long as they’ve washed and gone!

Alli
Alli
Reply to  Alli

The wash n go hairstyle can only be done on curly hair. It’s a style that mimics wet hair. Because type 4 hair shrinks when it dries, it isn’t a true wash n go hairstyle. Yes you can wash it and go, but it’s not a wash n go.

This is one of the reasons why type 3 hair is easier to take care of.

Lita
Lita
Reply to  Alli

Is defined curls/wet look hair/an afro the hairstyle. isn’t the ‘wash and go’ the method? Im not being facetious, I understand what you’re saying, but type 4 is only more difficult to take care of if you’re trying to make it do stuff it doesn’t want to do, or when you don’t know what to do? We’re not cursed. When I’m not concerned with curl definition, I can wash, condition, apply oil and put in a puff. Nothing tough about it.

cb
cb
Reply to  Lita

ok um why oh why people always say type4bc hair is ‘more difficult to take care of’…not true…takes more time, but difficult? type4bc you will always get love from me…people always hating

anonsince87
anonsince87
Reply to  Alli

If it’s a style that mimics wet hair isn’t type 4 hair doing what it’s supposed to do then? lol. Logically, this means that wash ‘n’ gos CAN work for ANY hair type because it simple mimics whatever that hair type is when wet. So you’re actually going against your own point :-/

Please don’t say wash ‘n’ gos can only be done on curly hair as though it is fact. It can be done on any hair; it looks different on varying textures and it’s about whether the wearer desires however theirs turns out.

mlank64
mlank64
Reply to  anonsince87

I don’t want to play devil’e advocate but Alli’s point has validity. In particular, I’ve heard many 4c hair girls state explicitely that they don’t like ‘wash n gos because of the impending difficulties of detangling and subsequent hair loss. Of course all hair types can ‘wash n go” but, let’s be real, we know that certain hair styles suit certain curl patterns better than others. I’m not saying one is better than the other but we can be honest with each other and know that wash n gos are not for everyone. On the opposite side, some 3c hair… Read more »

bossy
bossy
Reply to  anonsince87

you know good and well the wash and go is a shitty option for someone with 4c hair. stop playin. just stop.

Calli
Calli
Reply to  Alli

Oh my, YOU sound like an IDIOT!!

Calli
Calli
Reply to  Calli

This is a reply to Alli

bossy
bossy
Reply to  Calli

alli is right.

Black sista
Black sista
Reply to  Alli

Easier or not, it sound like you are discriminating against other people’s hair, hair is hair, we are all born with different mothers and fathers so we are allow to be different. With different hair types and different skin colours. I don’t know who created this hair typing bussiness but that shouldn’t interfere with who we are as black women.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/image.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/image‑1.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/image‑2.jpg[/img]

Marci
Marci

I love wash and gos. Best thing is too keep it simple! I use the first method (but with larger sections…i’m lazy). All three ladies have beautiful hair!

Kayla
Kayla

1. Wash
2. Go

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu

I hate to be a pain, and all these ladies are beautiful, but the third one is not a wash and go. Using a diffuser makes it not a wash and go. Using a dryer of any kind defeats the purpose of it being a wash and go. That said, I like that method! LOL. I learned something from all 3 ladies actually, though I am not type 3.

Dallas
Reply to  Chinwe

Agree! My hair takes so long to dry even in the summer, and it’s annoying walking into your office with wet spots on your top because your hair is still damp. My hair does just fine on medium heat with the diffuser — no breakage and no dryness. But then again I only wear a wash and go once a month or less.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  Chinwe

it is the forums and youtube where I got that information that using a dryer is not a wash and go. I didn’t pick that up by myself. LOL. I also said I like the method, so the angry black women who feel I am threatening their easy method and giving me a thumbs down can relax.

cindy
cindy
Reply to  Ugonna Wosu

1. all ladies 3 type hair is gorgeous
2. hopefully the blogger will post regimens for 4 type hair wash n gos
3. a wash & go can be done on any hair type it just looks different, as someone said earlier ago
4.can we all calm down lol ”}
5. people just add equipment (diffuser) to help their wash n gos dry. nobody likes to walk around with wet spots on their scalp. So who really cares how people do their hair to achieve the wash n go look

rw
rw

i did learn that i need to start putting product on root to tip, but each vid seam like a few hours, so i’m getting that there is no true wash and go that could be done in the morning

last vid uses soooo much product

ebonystahr
ebonystahr
Reply to  rw

Wash and go’s don’t take hours.…maybe one hour if you diffuse.….i hate going to work with wet hair too. I feel that is for teenagers.…i like to air dry but i don’t have time unless it’s the weekend. My problem is making the style last for a week. My hair is not long, so the pineapple does not always work for me and i don’t wanna wash n go everyday.….i’m so over it already.….

rompwithrusnak.blogspot.ru

Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a
few of the images aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why but I
think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same results.

Markquisha
Markquisha

Truth is all hair types can do Wash N go’s!!! The reason why some can’t is because the hair is thirsty and needs to be fully hydrated before the true curl shines through! If your hair can form an afro all that is is curls that have been separated from combing and brushing. You might not have spiral curls, you might have factual curls or s shaped curls! Check out the Curly Girl Handbook it gives great advice if you want to wear you hair in it’s curly state. Trust me I’ve worked with many of hair types and used… Read more »

arletpt
arletpt

To answer the question of the original blogger. ..
my wash and go routine
cleanse with as i am coconut cowash
using my fingers only
style with shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie OR Paul Mitchell the conditioner AND eco styler gel, using fingers only to remove excess water as I’m applying styling product
and go
simple. …easy.…wash and go
i may do this everyday or every other day. i love this method because my hair is always clean, no product build up, and it only takes me maybe 15 min to
wash and go