Avatar • May 22, 2013

By Christabel of ChysCurlz.com

You know how you get an itch and you just have to go through with whatever it is? Well I had this “itch” to color my hair a couple of weeks ago. So what do I do? I walk in to a random salon that said “walk-ins welcome”. Well they said I was welcome no?

Oh my gah!! I should have known better when she said she’s never dealt with my “hair type”. I really should have known better but I thought color has nothing to do with texture so as long as she can color as she says she can, I’ll go ahead and have her blow my hair out to eliminate the texture factor.

I think it would have worked out except for the itty bitty fact that she knew zero, zilch, nada, nothing about hair coloring concepts and techniques.

I (kinda) blog about hair so it wasn’t too hard to find a picture to show her that I wanted my hair exactly like it was before I dyed it black a few months prior. In fact, I found a thousand and one pictures and walked her through how I just want the top bits colored and how I want three different shades to create the highlights/lowlights combo I had prior.

Like So

and so
She said affirmative, I KNOW what you want and I say, let’s get on with it. Can I just say.….. Well I won’t say, I’ll show you (pardon the picture quality as this was taken with my front facing camera at the salon)

Exhibit A: after color application, wash and conditioner. I dunno what happened but my hair looked so freaking dull. I think she didn’t use the right developer? So the color didn’t show up. But she said she can fix it so I say maybe all is not lost.

Exhibit B: lady woman here decides that bleaching will solve things.

Exhibit C: she bleaches it a second time to get it to the right “tone”

Exhibit D: she puts a toner over it which is supposed to give me a coppery red color because at this point I had given up on my highlighting dreams and a coppery red color was something I could live with.

Exhibit E: she puts an orange based toner over the bleached hair. And from my Google search, this was the worst thing you could do if you don’t want to end up with orange hair. You need a toner with a blue base to cancel out the orange. But of course my illustrious colorist had no clue.

Okay this is a really long post but I think it mimics exactly how long I was there at that salon. A whopping 5 hours!!!!

In conclusion, I left 5 hours later with orange hair. That.i.paid.for. Because I felt bad for her!!

So after the 5 or 6 hours I spent at the salon, I came home and started Googling like a mad woman. My searches went something like: “how to cancel out orange hair color”, “hair color gone bad and turned orange how do you fix it”, “my hair is orange how do I fix it” etc. I’m a horrible Googler but I was fortunate in that this is a common occurrence when the wrong based toner is used or when bleach is not left on long enough. The most common response I got was to use hair toner with a blue base or but “ash brown” box color to go over the orange and that should greatly reduce or cancel out the orange tone.

Armed with this info and a desperation (I had Bible study the next day and didn’t want to look terrible), I went to my local CVS to buy the ash brown hair color. I debated getting a semi-permanent color or a rinse to go over it but I nixed that idea because I didn’t want the color fading over a few washes only to be back to square one. So I went with a permanent color which I was fully cognizant meant more damage to my already fragile strands. But you know, you gotta do what you gotta do. And so I did and while I can’t say I’m 100% pleased with the results, it is a marked improvement to the alternative.

I actually went ahead and made an appointment with a trusted stylist (which I should have had the patience to wait for anyways) and we’re going to see about getting some highlights in the crown and front area to brighten up the tone and hopefully leaving me very pleased.

I took some pictures and recorded a video of what it looks like today after I did my usual wash and go. Enjoy!

IMG_2991
In the sun

IMG_3002

Wow. This is truly a salon nightmare!!! Ladies, have you ever had a nightmarish salon coloring experience? Please share! And to keep updated with Chys as she navigates her hair color situation, check out her blog ChysCurlz.com and her YouTube channel ChysCurlz.

k
k

I sympathize with you. I’ve had experiences with inexperienced hair stylists in the past. Each time, I never spoke up or complained too loudly. Mistakes. I suffered for it. I’ve had to learn the hard way to speak up and voice my opinions. Yes, that stylist might get offended, hurt, and mad, but at least my hair will be healthy.

NikNak
NikNak
Reply to  k

Yeah, I have suffered through inexperienced stylists. I remember the first time I got my hair colored was with this flea market hair stylist. I should’ve known something was wrong when she went to the pharmacy and bought the box color. I was 16 at the time so I had no idea that there was anything wrong with that. The second time around was with this curly haired Greek woman named Vaso. She was AMAZING. She gave me these coppery-blonde highlights, and people STILL thought it was my natural hair color. No lie, lol. And I’m not light skin, I… Read more »

NikNak
NikNak

That is why I go to colorists upon recommendation from someone who has experienced them. And race NEVER plays a factor. I might think twice about letting a White woman style my hair, but I have no reservations about letting her color it.

melissa jones
melissa jones

Ahaha, yes indeed I have had a less than great professional colouring experience. At the end of my transition and finally cutting off the straight ends, I wanted a different colour as I found my natural jet-black hair to make my face look too yellow. I wanted a light colour but was advised against it as it would be too damaging but the colourist assured me she would try to bring my hair to the lightest possible while leaving it healthy. at the end of the process, I was left with yellow/orange hair that was dry and dull. Since then… Read more »

Adrienne
Adrienne

NOTE**** NEVER MESSS with a salon of any kind. LOL I am serious. I will never go there. I been hearing a lot of nightmare stories abt them lately. Even my aunt that own salon, ask me to let her do it…I screamed NO! If she asks heart to heart I will tell her, on condition only if she let me bring my own co-wash, hair product, and comb. She can’t use any of her product without my permission or be rough or I will leave. My old hairstyle asked my ma where I was ‘cuz I haven’t been to… Read more »

Rae
Rae

You handled that rather well I think and I’m glad you could correct it 🙂 She wouldn’t have seen a sympathy payment had that been me though…

Nature Girl
Nature Girl

Honey,

I wouldn’t have given her a Canadian nickel let alone my money after she chemically attacked my hair. She could’ve called ever alphabet department in town and I wouldn’t give her nothing! But you learned something valuable, patience and for the love of your scalp please don’t ever-never go to her shop again.

Jordan
Jordan

I would have left & not paid her 1 red cent after she bleached it to “fix things”

felicia

Gal ur lucky u didn’t lose your hair. That’s y I color and do my own hair coz some hairstylist jst lie and say their cn do natural hair when they clearly can’t .personally I wouldn’t have paid her

T.
T.

I think I would have cried right there in the salon chair. Thank goodness it worked out alright in the end, I think the colour you ended up with after your at-home fix is gorgeous (even though it isn’t exactly what you were going for).

cb
cb
Reply to  T.

yes, the color looks great after you did it

TWA4now
TWA4now

I can relate only my hair had dark green highlights (BUTT FROG GREEN THEY CALL IT)! I even explained to her I had gray hairs mixed with black and wanted a dark brown color. I learned a lot of them do not have enough experience via school and I am usually their first real “experimental rat” or they don’t know how to do my “type” of natural hair and the stylist can be black or white. I kept wondering why folks were staring at me so hard a week later. It wasn’t until I went to another salon not Wally… Read more »

Djanira
Djanira

LOL! At least you were able to correct the problem in the end. It looks good after it was fixed. You were brave to trust any stylist. I don’t go to anyone new, if my hairdresser isn’t available I wait or I have my sister do my hair. I’m useless in that department which is funny that I’m pretty much natural now lol.

TWA4now
TWA4now

…YES your hair did turn out nice at the bitter end. I am glad your hair didn’t fall out or have any real adverse effects.

Jamz
Jamz

OMG! I recently went thru the same thing, where the stylist overprocessed my hair because she left the bleach in too long on hair that was already bleached!! she had to add colour two times to get it right.
Ur hair turned out really nice tho, in spite of, and I adore ur cut…i want to get a cut similar soon. thanks for sharing!
And ladies take heed and beware!!

Vonnie
Vonnie

I used to color my hair A LOT when out was relaxed, no longer a natural. I will say this, I know some ladies are more introverted than others, and your do not have to be a b****h, but please be proactive and assertive once you get in your stylists’ chair. You can’t afford to sit in the chair, close your eyes, and let them “do them” (only had one stylist my whole life I trusted to freestyle). Also, if your gut is telling you something isn’t right, speak up. It’s your money, not theirs, and it’s your hair, not… Read more »

Vonnie
Vonnie
Reply to  Vonnie

Sorry for all the typos. Swype is the devil.

Mona
Mona

Man!!! I could only imagine the hurt when you had to pay for it also. So sorry that this happened to you. I have had bad dye jobs b4 but that was home done never had to pay after.

Dallas

My childhood is riddled with terrible salon visits, only because my parents didn’t know better and they got bad advice from the wrong people. My stepdad once took me to the salon, told the stylist to cut my hair short (because that’s all my curl was — bulk) and then give me a perm (because that will give me perfectly defined curls, right?). The idiot did exactly what he said, and I ended up with a frizzy, short afro. Years later, he would take me to another stylist and told him to give me very defined layers — it ended… Read more »

francine4koko
francine4koko

After all those adjustments,I’m really surprised you still have hair!!

Aeleise

This is horrible but it does not have to happen! Stylists in general are not your enemy. It is your responsibility and right to be serviced in the proper manner but it is also your duty to do you due diligence on a stylist or any service provider. Not all people do all things well and understand that many salons (non-booth rental) do not allow their stylists to turn clients down without loosing their jobs. Just a few tips to not encounter this situation: #1. Never and I mean never just walk into a random salon for color. Get recommendations… Read more »

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Aeleise

*applause* I couldn’t agree more with this. I’ve only colored my hair once. It was done by a friend and it came out okay but it wasn’t worth the months of dryness and deep conditioning afterwards. I’m hardcore DIY but I do believe that certain chemical treatments — including relaxing and permanent color — should be trusted to the professionals. The problem is that not every professional is a SKILLED professional and some of us aren’t willing to pay the $$ to get those skills. If I ever got a hankering to color your first tip would be my #1… Read more »

Dominika
Dominika

well at least it snapped back, good save lady cause that orange was putting a hurting on my vision.

linnie
linnie

A Horrible situation but I’m glad you were able to handle it. Yes, I’ve had many terrible salon experiences. I used to live in an all-white area and didn’t want to go into the city to get my hair done. I went to many different white salons-never for color. I’d ask the stylist if they knew how to work with AA hair and they’d always say yes then proceed to hack my hair. And just like her, I’d always pay! The worst experience was when she HACKED my hair so badly that I had to wear a WIG ’til my… Read more »

Jessica
Jessica

okay, well- positives first: The color with the ash brown over it looks really pretty to me! And all of the bleaching didnt seem to effect your curl pattern either. The cut, curls, and color look great. Now my OMG moment…you let her bleach your hair HOW MANY TIMES?! Good gracious- I am so happy you still have hair!! I did my own hair color two weeks ago and it was supposed to be red.. I have very dark hair, and so there is a red hue to it, but not nearly as red as I would like it. I… Read more »

Christabel
Reply to  Jessica

I’m surprised I had hair left at all. I just didn’t know I could go home and fix it myself so I just kept hoping shell get it together.

Shug
Shug

Glad you shared your story. For everyone else, don’t be afraid to get out of that chair, say thank you much but I’m good and go home and handle it yourself. Some bad stylists will have you bald claiming they can fix a mess they’ve made then leaving you with a worse mess later. If he/she acts inexperienced and doesn’t listen to you, they are not good at their job.

Melanie

Thats too bad that happen to you. Key is to look up hairstylist credentials!!!!!! Not for nothing. But, not every hairstylist knows how to formulate and color hair.

Caramelcurls
Caramelcurls

You’re more gracious than me.…I would have turned around and left when she said “I have never worked with your hair type.” That would have been it! I need someone with experience and expertise with ALL types of hair.

Regardless, you did a good job of fixing the color and it’s actually really cute!

Christabel
Reply to  Caramelcurls

Thanks ma’am. I just was at my wits end lol

Merci GeeZee
Merci GeeZee

I LOVE the outcome of you correcting the color. It looks gorgeous in the sun and like the other post said, thank goodness you still have hair on your head, and it looks healthy still too! I bet you’re gonna condition it like nobody’s business consistently too, huh? I’ve been wanting color for a couple of years but I’m super duper scared of my natural kinks falling out! You give me a little bit of courage b/c it looks like you and I have the same hair type! Love the cut too. Thanks for sharing your nightmare. Glad you are… Read more »

D.K.

Wow, I would’ve just curled up and DIED! OMG, how could you go against all your research and knowledge and let some impersonator wreck your head, and pay her to boot! Gosh, you fixed it up well; it looks great. I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief looking at the last pic, but what about your scalp? Tea tree oil? Olive oil? Witch hazel and chamomile? Man, oh man, this is nuts!

vertmoot.blogspot.com

ATF
ATF

I had sort of the same issue last year when I went natural. They insisted on a color when all I wanted in my consultation were yarn braids. So I let them shape up my new cut and color! Operation FAIL!!! My hair looked University of Texas burnt orange and it was VERY VERY drying. I learned a big lesson and loss a lot of money for that foolishness.

Blackdoll24
Blackdoll24

I am so sorry to say this, but what an idiot!
Random hairdressers on my beautiful mane- never.
if someone has never dealt with your texture let alone colour hair, why would you let them touch it.

Glad things worked out for her and she didn’t end up bald — phew

Maya
Maya

My stylist says that with curly hair the cuticle is already porous, hence when adding color, it doesn’t really need to be lifted. The stylist just saw your hair color and hair type and went for the harshest bleach that she could find. She should have just turned you down or not accepted your money.

Good job on the correcting, but you are going to need hella moisture and protein to repair what she did.

Jessica
Jessica
Reply to  Maya

Hmmm…I totally agree with you in that the hairstylist just looked at her hair and saw “hard to manage” (because she was not “used” to it) and found the strongest thing that she could find without really knowing what she was doing. But your stylist’s view kind of confuses me- because if all curly hair was porous, porosity wouldn’t be an issue for some naturals right? I have tight corkscrew curls and I deal with what I think is low porosity (it takes a while for my hair to dry, I cant use a lot of oils because it just… Read more »

stace
stace

WOW

Wow+1
Reply to  stace

I actually meant that as a thumbs up! Wow is exactly what I said!

aa22121
aa22121

The final product looks very nice! You look great, don’t worry 🙂

penelope
penelope

I wouldn’t have paid for that given that the end result at the salon was so drastically different from what you asked for. I always feel bad when stylists (particularly make-up artists)fudge up and I painfully smile through it and say I like it, but why do we do that? WE are paying THEM to get what WE like…agh, it’s so weird. We should be able to say we don’t like it and either have them start over or refuse to pay for it.

PS. the ash brown colour looks lovely.

imani
imani
Reply to  penelope

I remember once 20 yrs ago I made an appt to get my hair done for R.KELLY CONCERT (yeah…looong time ago when he was hot!) Anyway I got there early,waited ‚then finally my stylist started me bc when I walkked in I could tell shed just taken a walk-in weave appt, she finally shampooed me,applied a deep condish,while I was under the dryer for the dc she continued with the weave client (yes, big $$)so when my dryer went off she didn’t come back to me.I sat there for over 40m before she had someone rinse the condish out. Then… Read more »

Carmelicious
Carmelicious

You have gorgeous defined curls, but you should NEVER, NEVER have someone who does not know your hair type work on your hair!!!!!!! EVER!!!! Red flags were shooting up all over the place with that encounter!!!!!! I guess you learned your lesson, I hope!!!! Please ladies, do your research, find the best possible colorist BEFORE doing something impulsive like this.

I speak from experience, only I did it to myself and wound up with orange hair. I had to cut all my hair off and start anew.

imani
imani

Honestly this is why I haven’t visited salons in 15 yrs! Lol! I’ve learned more abt my hair on my own and I don’t waste half my Saturday sitting in a salon while my stylist tries to cram as many appts as she can into her day turning my 3hr appt into a 5hr appt! I had 2 bad experiences as a walk-in when I had a perm and I resolved I just don’t have luck with salons so I stopped going! Its not worth the stress! If I find one who is knowledgeable,personable & sticks to SINGLE APPOINTS id… Read more »

Sophie
Sophie

Woo nice save! Although your coils are so cute they made the orange look alright! I’m impressed that your curls survived all that bleaching too… my hair starts to get dry if I look at it funny too many times. I’ve had a few salon disasters (cut, not color) and every time I swear I won’t let anyone who doesn’t know exactly what they’re doing touch my hair again, but its hard when you’re sitting in the chair! Fortunately hair grows, and I found a good new stylist so I’m not playing haircuts roulette anymore. I hope you finally get… Read more »

Testblog

True Life: I Went to the Salon for Copper Highlights and Came Out with Yellow-Orange Hair! | Black Girl with Long Hair

qinger.blog-2007.com - Blog Premier blog : signature pieces for the classic pandora canada

Alwina
Alwina

Thanks for sharing your experience. You did a great job of fixing it.

luminous
luminous

I haven’t been to a hairstylist in 10 years. I’m so afraid of stuff like this.

Ijeoma

Man oh man, I had a similar thing happen to me two summers ago. Went to get copper highlights and came out from the dryer with fire hydrant red hair!! I made a video about it, it was so awful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9Lw0Fp4T9o

leslie
leslie

Gurl! I know how you feel! Been there! I thought I was going to snap when my stylist was done. I came in with blond hi-lights and looked like a black and white skunk when I left!! I started shaking and twitching after she showed me a mirror. Long story short, I had to fix it and it looked 10x better than what she did!I was so mad that I looked up how to tell her off in Korean!

tesha
tesha

U. Paid. Her.
There is a special place reserved for you in heaven, ‘cuz I may or may not have adopted the behavior of my very own Lord and Savior Jesus Christ when He was angry.…and turned over every table/chair/hooded blow dryer/ flat iron I coulda got my hands on ALL UP IN that salon!
May He continue to bless your ministry.
#dontjudgeme
#Godaintthroughwithmeyet

Alexandria
Alexandria
Reply to  tesha

Died laughing child!!

Ashley

So many people recommend that you go to a stylist to have your hair colored because they are well educated on how to handle color with your hair. I barely understand my natural hair and this article is the perfect example of why I could not trust someone else doing anything, especially coloring my own hair. Reading about this makes me so glad that I dyed my hair myself with an out of box dye. If you want to see how my boxed dye job came out, check out my new blog http://myhairymatters.blogspot.com/for pics! I am all for doing it… Read more »

Jacky
Jacky

Wow,it looks great with the ash brown colour,i’m glad that it turned out well in the end.

nappy headed black girl

Thank da Lawd for Google. You did a great job on the correction.

Dee
Dee

You are a good woman. I probably would have chickened out & did the same thing you did but in my dreams I would have gone ballistic.

This is why I do my research & then do my own hair . If you would have started out with your home box coloring kit you couldn’t have done any worse. I hope that you are deep conditioning and hot oil treating like mad so that your hair can recover from all that.

Sorry this happened to you but glad you can laugh about it.

Ashley
Ashley
Reply to  Dee

Sorry! On my phone and meant to upvote. It won’t let me correct.

rodahmaxwell@facebook.com
rodahmaxwell@facebook.com

What was on your hair prior? I don’t color people I have no history or time to monitor what’s going on or what went on,with their hair, for this very reason. The fact that your ends would not lift shows something was already on there to impede progress. IJS

justanna
justanna

your problem didn’t start and end w/ her lack of knowledge. it actually goes back to the black color (dye is for fabric) you put in prior. 1st unless ALL previous color processed her was cut out, she didn’t have a blank canvas to begin w/. 2nd most if not not all black colors have a blue or green base. so lightening after black hair coloring is problematic, difficult to say the least, and requires multiple processes (not a smooth position). 3rd color COLORS, bleach BLEACHES. hair doesn’t get optimal lift from color, it requires a catalyst such a booster… Read more »

Jesse
Jesse
Reply to  justanna

But the stylist claimed that she knew what she was doing. She should have at least warned her about previous color treatments or should have asked. Clearly, from what you’ve described, there’s a lot to consider when coloring someone’s hair. As a professional, that stylist should have considered all circumstances; she then could tell her client: “yes I know how to get you the color you want”, or “sorry, I don’t know how to get you the color that you want”. This situation is beyond a nightmare, and it’s so unprofessional!

Shan

I have to get this out of the way, I’m sorry but LOL!! Ok now that I’ve gotten that out of my system, let me say you are awesome. I don’t know what I would have done in that situation. I think you handled it incredibly well and you did a great job fixing it. Kudos!

Mari
Mari

Justanna…
Where r u located…I’m willing to fly out. I REALLY WANT TO GO HONEY BLONDE (A LA MARY J BLIGE) but I’m petrified what happend to her will happen to me. Or worse my hair will fall out. Pls email me at mtheodoris@gmail.com!

Jesse
Jesse

I’m so sorry! Wow if only you had done it yourself because you did a fine job. I can’t believe you paid the stylist for that though. Did she at least say sorry? I don’t mean to sound harsh, but I’m sure all that processing damaged your hair 🙁

Xiomara Condon
Xiomara Condon

Bone pain is seen less commonly than joint pain and muscle pain. The source of bone pain may be obvious, as in a fracture following an accident. Or it may be more subtle, such as cancer that spreads (metastasizes) to the bone.‘‘,‘

Have fun
<http://healthfitnessbook.com/index.php

Ana Sclafani
Ana Sclafani

Body shape is affected by body fat distribution, which is correlated to current levels of sex hormones.[notes 6] Muscles and fat distribution may change from time to time, unlike bone structure, depending on food habits, exercises and hormone levels.^:,^

Kind regards
<http://www.calaguastourpackage.com/index.php/

Pedro Leiter
Pedro Leiter

Healthcare professionals categorise cancers by the type of cells the cancer first develops in.Squamous cell carcinoma is the most common type of mouth cancer, accounting for 9 out of 10 cases. Squamous cells are found in many places around the body, including the inside of the mouth and under the skin.^*;;

Our new online site http://www.caramoan.co/index.php/

?????? ???????