4 Tips for Sink Washing Natural Hair

Avatar • May 28, 2013

back-sink

You ladies will think I’m a nut for this one! So, I ended up sparking up a conversation with someone about hair and do you all want to know what we ended up intently discussing? Whether or not it is acceptable to wash your hair in the kitchen sink. Some people will see it as unhygienic and others take no issue with it.

My mother washed my hair in the kitchen sink as a child and my stance in the discussion was that it is not unhygienic since I wash the sink out after I wash my hair. Her stance was that dirty hair shouldn’t be cleaned near clean dishes and where food is prepared.

Whether or not you wash your hair in the sink there are 4 major points to consider:

1. Having an appropriate drain cover so that you don’t clog up your kitchen sink and/or built in garbage disposal
2. Do you have sensitive, or dry skin? What type of shampoo do you use? Cheap shampoos can dry out the skin on your face and body as it drips down when you rinse your hair
3. Consider the length of your hair in relation to the depth of your sink. Longer hair can become tangled when it is restricted from flowing down by the sink floor
4. If you’re adding color, it can be easier to distribute color in the sink and you will be less likely to stain other parts of your body while washing the color out

I enjoy a friendly debate from time to time. Ultimately, we are different people who have different beliefs and methods for getting things done. It can be fun to discover new ways of thinking about things or a new reason behind the method.

So shower or skin washing, which do you prefer?

Afrinaturality
Afrinaturality

Yes, I’ve seen a few vlogs where people wash their hair at the kitchen sink. For me, it has always been a no-no for the same reasons stated above, that cleaning the hair, scalp, dandruff, gunk or whatever else should not be anywhere near where food is prepared. That’s my own opinion, though. To each his own.

Shug
Shug
Reply to  Afrinaturality

I’m with you on this. I also don’t understand why people will do all sorts in a kitchen sink — strictly for food and mixtress purposes.

Is Happy Girl Hair back or is this old? I remember that she closed the website.

msboogee
msboogee

I dont like the idea of my hair touching a dirty sink. Because I tangle easily I prefer to wash in the shower

Kurliberly
Kurliberly

Laying stretched out across the countertop with my mom scrubbing my hair in the kitchen sink is such a beautifully vivid memory of my childhood, I could not imagine a Saturday afternoon without that experience. It was bonding, it felt great to get my scalp scrubbed, and when the hose attachment occasionally slipped off and sprayed my mom and I with water it was a comic relief. The hair is not toxic, just a little sandy and sweaty, that is what Clorox Bleach spray is for, to sanitize. My mom’s home is as clean as a whistle and she didn’t… Read more »

felicia

Personally I would never wash my hair in a kitchen sink I was raised from a home which believed that the kitchen sink is only for washing dishes and cooking nothing else

beebz
beebz

i wash my hair in the sink when i’m too lazy or don’t need a shower.

A
A

We have a large deep kitchen sink that I use wash my hair in and I love it. It’s quicker and less mess. I will continue to wash my hair this way for as long as I am able.

deandrea
deandrea

How is it unhygienic? I wash my sink with Clorox clean up every night after dinner and after I wash my hair. I also change the strainer. Then again we have a double sink.

To me, washing it in the shower is silly if your coloring/deep conditioning. you have to get in, get out and get back in.

Jessica
Jessica
Reply to  deandrea

That is exactly why I wash in the sink sometimes.… I’m not wasting that much time and that much water getting in the shower twice… And we are in an apt that only has one bathroom, too??!! Please.…

Keyia
Keyia

I don’t understand how people can clean raw meat in a kitchen sink but have issues with washing hair in it. Which is worse? You’re cleaning afterwards anyway so what’s the big deal?

Lily
Lily
Reply to  Keyia

Cause some of us don’t clean meat in the sink either #teamvegan

Jack
Jack
Reply to  Lily

Well clean veggies…I’ve gotten fruit and veggies from the store with dirt and grit. Our hair can’t be any dirtier/unsanitary than that.

MELISSA SIMS
MELISSA SIMS

i wash my hair in the kitchen sink, i dont like shampoo and conditioner to get on my body, i wash the sink out before and after, i make sure dishes are put away and no food is around

coffeeandfingernails

My mother always washed my hair in the kitchen sink, and I still will occasionally–usually if I’m doing some multi-step conditioning and don’t want to keep stepping into the shower to rinse. Don’t think there’s any evidence to back the idea that it’s unhygienic–think it’s just one of those things you were either taught was ok or not ok. In my house, we would make sure all dishes/food were washed/put away before beginning, and wipe everything down after we were done.

curlycanuck
curlycanuck

I wash my hair in my laundry room sink. I bought a hose attachment from the beauty supply store. The sink deep enough and it’s always clean since the bleach is near by. Also, it frees up the kitchen and the bathroom just in case someone needs it. But do whatever makes you comfortable. Some people bathe their infants in the kitchen sink…

Muslimah Coleman Pilgrim
Muslimah Coleman Pilgrim

Kitchen and hair clumps…just sounds gross to me. Kitchens are meant for food preparation, I can’t see myself washing my hair or my daughters hair in the kitchen. Even when I cook I make sure my hair is covered…my humble opinion though.

IB
IB

I had no idea some people washed their hair in the sink until I started going on hair blogs/youtube videos. That sounds very unhygienic to me. I dislike the idea of washing hair near a place where food is prepared. What’s wrong with just using the bathroom? But to each their own I guess.

Jack
Jack
Reply to  IB

It saves water. I use way more water in the shower. It’s your doing multiple steps while washing, taking a long time to condition, it saves time too. It’s annoying to have to hope in and out the shower, plus you can’t really shower unless you have all your clothes off. You can rinse your hair if you’re not ready to take a shower.

treacle234
treacle234

Thanks to Youtube I have seen people bathe their dogs, child, wash their hair and spit in the kitchen sink. As long as they don’t come in my house and do this I am find. To each it’s own. I prefer to wash my hair in the shower while I am taking a shower. It makes sense and it’s more comfortable.

cb
cb
Reply to  treacle234

bathe the dog in the sink!? that’s Youtube for ya!

Shawnie
Shawnie

If you can prepare pork,and chicken in a kitchen sink then why on earth would hair be an issue ? Chicken and pork has deadly viruses from the blood to the skin. I proud myself in the kitchen and have even been to culinary school. I have seen it all and hair is the last thing to worry about.. I have seen a famous chef sweat into boiling pot and it wasn’t a big deal because sweat is salt and the boiling water killed any germs or DNA that was in it. People need to get a life…the chef who… Read more »

treacle234
treacle234
Reply to  Shawnie

The chef is Michelin star chef and he is breaking the rules of food safety by sweating in the guests food.…..goes to show, even the well trained has nasty habits.

Stace
Stace

I could never say washing ones hair in the sink is unhygienic. There is nothing in hair that can make something unhealthy or spread disease, unless you have lice. Either way to say that is equivalent to someone saying that its unhygienic to not wash your hair every day. My greatest concern would be if the sink is clean enough for my hair. Rotten food, dirty dishes, sour milk, meat oils, fat, skin, and blood may be lingering in the sink. I don’t want that in my head, but that is what hot water and soap are for.

Stace
Stace

This might be off topic but I can’t worry about something silly like where one washes ones hair when I constantly see people in public restrooms either not washing their hands at all, not using any soap, or washing so quickly that is clearly ineffective. Then to make matters worse they use their bare hands to turn off the pipe and open the door, spreading their germs and picking up the germs of the person before them that did the same.

Jessica
Jessica
Reply to  Stace

I totally agree.… That’s why I take an extra paper towel to turn off the water and open the door

Odee
Odee

We had a HUGE utility sink when I was little. My Mother loving washed my hair in. Perms she did in the bathroom sink, wonderful memories.

Luminous
Luminous

I now wash my hair in the kitchen sink. I was spending too much time in the shower getting in and out and detangling. Also washing out the avocado hair smoothies in the shower got too messy. The sink is easier to clean. I clean the kitchen sink with boiling water before and after washing my hair. Bleach is not good for the environment.

Andie
Andie

Personally I don’t see how washing hair in the sink is any more unhygienic than washing raw meat in the sink. You would do the same thing you would do after handling raw meat…clean and sanitize the sink… And I think it’s common sense to not have dishes and food laying around near the sink while you’re washing your hair. But whatever folks want to do is their prerogative. For me though, I don’t like hopping in and out of the shower when I’m doing more than just a quick shampoo and condition.

Bijee

I personally grew up getting sink washed, cause we were in an apartment. When we moved to a house we took it to the basement sink.Now as an adult, I’m a shower washer, two birds one stone. BUT I have no problem with sink washing.

Tiff Dizzle
Tiff Dizzle

I grew up getting my hair washed in the sink. as a adult its whatever I feel like… I prefer to sink wash cus my bathroom drain ALWAYS gets clogged but it really is just feel on that day

Jack
Jack

I don’t understand how it’s that unsanitary…this is the same sink we wash raw meat, veggies, and hands in. Our hair can’t be any more unsanitary that those things.

imani
imani
Reply to  Jack

For me the unsanitary nature is no different than finding a hair in your food at a restaurant! I cringe at the thought of even one stray strand finding its way into my food.I get the willies just thinking abt it so I stopped washing my hair in my sink years ago. If I go to someones home,happen to be in their kitchen and see hair?? I’m not eating there & IF out of sheer politeness I do eat there? Ill keep thinking abt the damn hair I saw in the kitchen!

KiKi
KiKi

Me and my sister grew up getting washed and permed in the kitchen sink and my mom still washes, perms and colors there. I just always hated straining over the edge, trying to avoid my ears and those cheap rubber attachments popping off or springing a leak. I even hate the neck trauma at a salon sink. As an adult I prefer the shower, 2 birds 1 stone. But nothing beats the pipes on a sink, my old tub clogs every week no matter what I do.

Chanda
Chanda

Story of my life but I thoroughly wash the sink before and after I wash my hair. I’ll wash in the shower every now and then.

imani
imani

When I lived in NY my apt only had a showerhead so to wash my hair in the bathroom,id have 2 stick my head under that damn tub faucet which KILLED my back! Uggh! (never got the hang of washing& rinsing hair standing in the shower!) I only used the kitchen sink bc it was easier though I HATED doing it bc after I was done I sanitized the entire counter area bc id find stray hairs everywhere & I hate finding loose hairs in the kitchen. It makes me paranoid I got hair in my food! Since I’ve moved,… Read more »

Soontobe100%Natural
Soontobe100%Natural

I have a shower and a bathtub. I wash my hair over the bathtub. I have a shower and bathtub combo in one of my bathrooms so I installed a double headed shower and one of the heads pulls down to the tub so that I can wash my hair as if I were using a kitchen sink. Before that I would use the tub faucet. They both work equally as well. I can’t imagine washing in the kitchen sink because I was raised that it was unsanitary as well.

Deb
Deb

I just dunk my head under the water from the shower head not the tub faucet. easy peasy and I don’t have to get in and out of the shower.

I’ve never used a kitchen faucet and if I had to would have to properly clean everything after. I wouldn’t care to have to do that regularly though.

Lydz

I have just written a post on my blog in response to this article

Tisha
Tisha

I like washing my own hair over the laundry room sink. I feel like the process is shorter and I tend to waste less water.It doesn’t hurt my neck or my back because I just lean in front of it just to rinse out products. When I wash my hair in the shower,I could stay forever just enjoying the water, relaxing, singing…lol. So I only wash my hair in the shower when I am REALLY stressed.

Lauralei
Lauralei
Reply to  Tisha

Using the laundry room sink is a great idea. I can’t do it in the winter, but when the weather is warm enough I will use this method. Thanks!

Jhoanne
Reply to  Lauralei

As a matter of fact i have been podeirnng about a related question for a long time.DID GIC (our governement investment corporation) INVEST ANYTHING IN LEHMAN OR OTHER TOXIC FUNDS LEADING TO LOSSES which indirectly affect cpf or other citizen funds?I wouldnt blame GIC or the Town Council for making such mistake as well. Governments ALL OVER THE WORLD are suffering from such bad investments. How much they will tell the citizens about it is up to the government. We probably wouldnt be told, so it is a silly question.rex

Lauralei
Lauralei

Mom washed our hair in the sink when we became too big for her to do it in the tub, but weren’t yet old enough to do it in the shower on our own. Like her, I sanitize the sink prior to hair care, and place a strainer in the drain. I also move the dishes from the area so they don’t get touched by water, ‘poo, hair, etc. When I am done, I sanitize the sink and counter with cleanser and bleach. Good point about our hair being no more ‘dirty’ than the veggies and raw meat/poultry/fish that we wash.

Lauralei
Lauralei

When I am doing a lot to my hair, it is easier to sink wash instead of getting in and out of a shower while I deep condition, apply protein packs, sit under my hair dryer, etc. I also think I use less water that way. And I don’t like getting in and out of the shower during our ‘lovely’ Chicago winters. brrrr.

Natasha
Natasha

My mum was very fussy about hair clogging up her drains (and hair in the kitchen? NO WAY!). So she used to wash my hair in the bathroom but in a big basin. Then, we were done, she’d throw the water in the toilet. It was a really long process but it meant no hair in the drains and I’ve stuck to it since!

Jamie
Jamie

BOTH are fine to me. It really depends on my plans and who’s washing who’s hair.

if someone is washing my hair or if i’m washing someone’s hair, you best believe IT WILL BE WASHED IN THAT KITCHEN SINK.

if’ i’m doing it myself and say i showered earlier on, or I’m doing a RUSH WASH then.…yep…SINK.

otherwise i’ll go in the shower and spent a good amount of time in there pampering myself.

back when my mom used to wash my hair it was always in that kitchen sink.

Summergirl
Summergirl

I never have to worry about my hair touching the sink because of the shrinkage. My hair always shrinks when wet.

nappy headed black girl

That poor baby in the picture looks very uncomfortable 🙁

I prefer to wash in the sink. Trying to do wash my hair in the shower is just too much going on for me. I’m trying to get clean and get out lol

Besides, I like to focus on just my hair when I’m cleaning it. You know, I need to inspect and primp and make sure everything is up to par.

lola
lola

That baby girl might look uncomfortable, but it is something that a lot of us girls learn to do at a young age and no complaining. I have no problem washing my 4 daughters hair in the kitchen sink. Of course the counters are cleared and all dishes put away and the sink is cleaned out afterwards. It’s funny cause my husband washes his hair in his bathroom sink at least twice a week! If the kitchen were closer to the bedroom he would probably use that sink because it is so deep : )

Rebbeca Roberts

I don’t find it unhygienic to wash my hair in the kitchen sink. But I would still prefer to wash it when I shower. It is much easier for me that way since I am tall and my body is big.

voyance

I every time used to study piece of writing in news papers but now as I
am a user of net thus from now I am using net for content, thanks
to web.

vero

I have noticed americans wash their hair in the kitchen sink.. i am amused by this — as it is very odd!. Perhaps someone would like to tell me why this so…

Personally i say its unhygenic but maybe because i have a choice! We in london wash our hair in the bathroom sink! with a separate shower attachment. it works very well!

Vonda Moore
Vonda Moore

I’m almost 60 and I remember how my Mom used to wash my hair when I was a child. She’d put up the old ironing board, raised to the level of the kitchen sink, and I’d lay on it on my back with my head over the sink. Of course, it worked just fine since I was as light as a feather. I grew up poor so, most of the apartments/homes we could afford to live in were not equipped with showers. I didn’t experience that luxury til I was about 16!

Melisa Jepson

I don’t think that it is unhygienic to wash your hair in the kitchen sink as long as you make sure to clean it up afterwards and prevent it from clogging. As mush as possible though, it is better to use the toilet sink.

Vonda Moore
Vonda Moore
Reply to  Melisa Jepson

Ooops, sorry, clicked on the wrong thumb! Meant to give this a thumbs UP!

Marion A.
Marion A.

Domineque, I can absolutely relate to my mother washing my hair in the kitchen sink when I was a girl. Now I usually wash my hair in the shower because hey if I’m already in there it’s just convenient. Howevere if I do a deep conditioning or henna treatment where I’ve let it sit overnight or have been out of the shower for an hour or so I’ll rinse in the sink because again it’s convenient and I don’t want to get back in the shower. It’s funny I hadn’t really thought about this being hyggienic or not until just… Read more »

T
T

With relaxed hair, I washed my hair in the washing machine drainage sink. I have washed my niece or cousin’s hair in the kitchen sink before though. I don’t think it’s a problem. Like other said, just clean up after yourself. Now, I prefer to wash my hair in the shower because I hate having to flip my hair over from leaning over the sink. Detangling this coily hair is enough work without adding to it!!