Samantha // 4B/C Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Apr 13, 2013

dee 472

Introduce yourself!
S:
Hi everyone! My name is Samantha and I’m from Columbia, South Carolina.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
S:
I’ve been natural my whole life . 🙂 I stayed natural because growing up my parents (raising five children) told me that they didn’t have the money for the upkeep that a relaxer required, so I pretty much had to stay natural. But as I got older and started making my own money it just seemed pointless to me to get one when I had already been so long without one.

How would you describe your texture?
S:
I think that I fall into the 4b/c category. My actual hair strands are medium density and my hair has a cottony feel to it. I do get major shrinkage though. For the most part my hair behaves well, but it does have the tendency to tangle easily.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
S:
I mainly wear two strand twists. After I wash my hair I use Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream and the Aethiopika Hydrate & Twist Butter to twist my hair. I leave the twists in for about two weeks. After the two weeks I’ll rock a twist out or I put it in a high bun.

sammie pics 276

What does wash day look like for you?
S:
I usually wash my hair every two weeks. I like to use the Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Shampoo or the Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo if my hair has a lot of build-up. Trader Joe’s Nourish Spa and Infusium 23 Moisture Replenisher are the conditioners I switch between and Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner is my favorite deep conditioner.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
S:
If I don’t have a lot of time to style I will throw a beanie or a scarf over my hair.

How do you combat shrinkage?
S:
I put my twists in a ponytail at night. It helps to stretch my hair out.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
S:
My ends tend to get dry so I have to make sure I moisturize them and keep them trimmed like every 3 months.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
S:
Trimming regularly helps my hair a lot, and wearing styles that don’t require me to be in my hair everyday helps out too.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
S:
Wash-n-go’s are a “no go” for me cause I get major shrinkage and my hair will tangle up too much. Also not keeping my ends trimmed. My hair responds better to styling and hair products when they are happy 🙂

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
S:
I don’t have a blog, but you can find me on Instagram at: sdw8029 or on Facebook: Samantha Williams 🙂

About Meosha

Tonia
Tonia

Georgeous, think natural hair and a South Carolinian to boot!

Caleisha

Lovely!!! Finally I think I’ve found a hair twin ^.^ How did you do the high bun in the third picture? Do you get your ends trimmed when your hair’s curly or pressed?

Reply to  Caleisha

Hey there hair twin! I actually used a rolled up leg warmer,I saw a youtuber do it so I tried it out 🙂

Lakisha
Lakisha

Hey dont I know you?.lol. I love your hair. Your twist outs are so defined. Really nice pictures. You have really good product selections. I love qhemet biologies heavy cream. Its the only product that will keep my type 4 hair moisturized a couple of days.

Reply to  Lakisha

Lol! Yes u do know me! You are right..I love Qhemet Biologics products 🙂

keisha
keisha

love your hair! your buns and twist outs are to die for!

Reply to  keisha

Thank u so much!

Arian
Arian

I think we have the same ideas!

Rachel

I love you hair!

Thank you! #hairtwintoo!

verona
verona

You are beautiful!

Kamya
Kamya

Heyy Auntie,
Your hair looks awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!

layray
layray

Beautiful head of hair! I use the same products! Qhemet Biologics is the truth.

Reply to  layray

Yes!! You are so right! Qhemet Biologics is the best!

Caramelcurls
Caramelcurls

Gorgeous hair!!!

closetnewsresale
closetnewsresale

Great hair..Now you all have a Trader Joe in Columbia..YEAH…

samantha

Yes! Im glad we have one too..the only other one I knew about was the one in Charleston

Reply to  samantha

What is Trader’s Joe??? Is it like Wal-mart?

closetnewsresale
closetnewsresale
Reply to  TWA4now

Trader Joes like a Organic type grocery store..You should go to. I did..
I love it…Did you go to 14 karat grocery store in Columbia

TWA4now

I am a couple states up. We don’t have a Trader Joes here that I know of…Wal-mart Tagert…Dollar Tree Family Dollar K‑Mart…etc…maybe soon for Trader Joe’s thanks

TWA4now

Guess what??? I Googled Trader Joe’s for my state and (drum roll), We have one for my area, but it is a little far out. I hope it is worth the drive. Maybe I will visit it tomorrow! #isitworththedrive?

samantha

What is the 14 karat grocery store? Its in Columbia? I never heard of it..

Reply to  TWA4now

Make sure you look at the shampoos and conditioners when you go to Trader Joe’s..they have really good ingredients in them and they are really afforable. 🙂

Reply to  samantha

Thank you! Any specific brands of shampoo and conditioner at Trader Joe’s could you recommend? I have 3C/4A-ish hair 4 to 5 inches now, and I’ve been protective styling too. What is all the fess about Qhemet Biologics?

Reply to  TWA4now

The Trader Joe’s Nourish Spa conditioner is really popular. It’s one of the conditioners I like to use.You can also use it if you like to co-wash. The Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditoner is good too if you have a dry scalp or you need to clarify your hair if you have build-up from alot of product use.Qhemet Biologics is a natural haircare line that makes really good products. Their Amla and Olive Heavy cream is one of my staples as a moisturizer/styling product. They also have the Burdock Root Butter Cream moisturizer for naturals with a finer texture.… Read more »

Reply to  Samantha

Thank you! I need to go to Trader Joe’s on PAYDAY! I’ve heard NOTHING but good things about their Teatree products. WOW, I’ve been searching for something/products for some time now! My hair is snapping, shedding, and breaking off :(. I have NOT mastered the protein balancing act yet. I just stopped washing/co-washing so much and started protective styling, moisterizing and sealing with castor oil. I am curious about your input on Hydrathermal products…surely, I spelled it wrong. Again, thank you for the wonderful suggestions and input! HAVE A HHJ TOO <3!

Reply to  TWA4now

If you have any more questions about products or anything sdw8029@yahoo.com is my email address. 🙂

Reply to  samantha

@ Samantha I just emailed check your yahoo spam! Thanks a million ok a billion!

brillobox
brillobox

so pretty, why does she look so sad in all the pictures?!

Reply to  brillobox

You are right..I tried to find pics that showed my hair and stuff,but they were all of me not smiling..I probably should have added some smiling pictures. But I wasnt sad though 🙂

SHELIKES
SHELIKES

your face is pretty. your hair is pretty. you look sad in some of the pictures but in a pretty way.

Reply to  SHELIKES

Ya..I noticed later and was like,“I probably should have looked for more smiling pics”. But I tried to find pictures that showed close-ups of my hair and texture.

AfroJunkie
AfroJunkie

I have hair exactly like yours! ‑how Long is your hair?

Reply to  AfroJunkie

Hi there! If I stretched my hair it seems like its somewhere past my armpit..Im not sure if thats helps, but I get major shrinkage so I never really get to see the length.

Samantha

Hi there! If I stretched my hair it seems like its somewhere past my armpit..Im not sure if that helps, but I get major shrinkage so it I never really get to see the length.

umarie

WOW! i never thought id find someone who’s hair is almost like mine ive always been natural. my mother just didnt support relaxers and frankly, relaxers scare me. im a 4b/c to. washday feels like washweek because i take soo long, since i wash it in twists or else i get MAJOR shrinkage. ive never trimmed hy hair.
natural-haired 16yr olds are so uncommon here.
you’re my new hair crush ^_^
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/IMG00888-20120212–1542.jpg[/img]

Reply to  umarie

Aww!!! Thank you so much!! I’m glad I could be an inspiration to someone!! Your hair is beautiful 😀

Curious Girl
Curious Girl

You are goood at styling your own hair. I am going to assume that you do your own hair right? Do you do other people hair for a living? I am looking for someone that can manage my hair for a reasonable fee. Do you know of anybody in the Columbia area?