Janelle Monae Ditches Trademark Suit and Pomp, Rocks Short Black Dress and Hot Pink Lips!

Avatar • Apr 10, 2013

This is not a hoax!

Rumors were swirling that Monae was going to change her look in preparation for her upcoming 2013 album, but we couldn’t believe it until we saw it! Pictures hit the net today of the songstress rocking a short black dress, hot pink lips and cap toe heels while celebrating a friend’s birthday party. And we can’t express HOW much we love this!!!

Janelle-Monae-gets-dolled-up-in-a-dress

We’re sure the suit will make a return soon, but we’re excited to see how Miss Monae diversifies her wardrobe going forward. Especially since she has a beautiful face, incredible natural hair and a gorgeous figure — the whole package!

The picture is courtesy of NecoleBitchie.com.

What do you think ladies??

keisha
keisha

love the look! i think she’s beautiful!

dunn dunn
dunn dunn

I’m happy she changed up her look and was still able to look beautiful and classic.

Barbara
Barbara

She is drop dead gorgeous!

merry
merry

i have to say i love the suit. but, she’s beautiful regardless.

Valerie
Valerie

Baby steps and still beautiful

nappyheadchronicles

i must admit that this is a bit surprising. this is a style i wouldn’t have pictured her in, but she is stunning and can pull off any look she wants.

Tisha
Tisha

I am in pure shock!! I hope she won’t become too “sexy”…but then again she can do whatever she wants. still pretty.

Kaila P
Kaila P
Reply to  Tisha

I belive she spoke about that recently, she saiys that she doesn’t believe that she has to show skin to be sexy and beautiful, and doesn’t want to promote such an image, hence her clothing choices.

Fii
Fii

I’m so used to her usual look, I dunno, she just doesn’t look like herself. Still pretty though. I would have never known it was her if it didn’t say so.

Lauryn
Lauryn

it’s nice to see that she can rock any look, not just the “retro” suit and loafers swag we are used to seeing from her. she looks great!

KEKELELE
KEKELELE

As a Proud Fandroid I must Inform you all that this pic is Hella OLD and was not done to prepare for her New Album. She’s stated plenty of times before that she wears her suit when she is working(Performing)because her suit is her uniform. However after work, she pretty much dresses whatever way she feels like. FYI.

linnie
linnie

Good for her! She always looks good.

desio988
desio988

I had a feeling people would mistake it as a change for her career. It’s not. She’s out for a friends bday party…it’s NOT work…therefore she dressed down. She only wears the suit or a variation of a suit/tux when she’s going somewhere as the singer Janelle Monae.…when she’s just with friends she can wear whatever she wants. This is consistant with what she’s been saying and RECENTLY SAID(like literally a couple of days ago at the Essence party) that she sees the tux as paying homage to those who have to where a uniform to work. It’s her uniform…for her job… Read more »

kat
kat
Reply to  desio988

She Also said it as part of a beautiful speech at ’ black girls rock’ awards
Her parents had service jobs too and it was to honor them
I think…

amy
amy
Reply to  kat

Yea she did say that at the BET Honors award that her dad was a janitor and her mommy was a maid and they barely made money so she wears it in honor of them !

kiesh
kiesh
Reply to  desio988

I didn’t know the reasoning behind her tux. That’s interesting.

Deb
Deb
Reply to  desio988

yep, people REALLY want her to look girly. I’m glad she’s sticking to her guns because if she gets this sort of expectation projected onto her by her fans, I can only imagine how bad it is from her label, manager…etc. She’s just all around awesome.

geraldine
geraldine

she looks great! why not? girly 🙂

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

She is a stunner! I just bought her Essence Magazine issue yesterday, I can’t wait to read it 🙂

eve-audrey
eve-audrey

i think she looks awesome in her short black dress. it’s not rude on her or let’s say i’ve seen wayyyy worse. i think it fits her as well as her usual suit.

Kimberly
Kimberly

Gorgeous!

kiesh
kiesh

She looks great. I understand her reasoning for the tux but I really wish she would move away from that and the same mohawk hair style. I don’t want to see her dressing like a skank by any means but it seems like she’s boxing herself in with that same look.

nickonthego
nickonthego

Gorgeous!! The new look is refreshing

Shahidah

Just read the reasoning behind the tux…interesting. Glad to see her in something else because I do find the tux and pompadour a complete bore now. She is a gorgeous woman and I love this look on her. Cant say I agree totally with the tux reasoning. SHe is an entertainer and she could do variations of the suit and hair but i guess if its all about the music it should not matter

beauty
beauty

Beautiful She looks a like Rasheeda from love and hiphop atlanta

Bree42581
Bree42581

This picture is really old and definitely not a change of look for the new album. Its obviously not even a professional picture. This picture has nothing to do with a new album. Its just her being casual.

Nisha
Nisha
Reply to  Bree42581

I don’t think that’s the main purpose of the post. It’s just cool to see her rock a different look…even if it is just her being casual.

Jacky
Jacky

She looks lovely.

Nisha
Nisha

Good for her. It’s nice to see her change her look up (I’m sure she doesn’t always rock the suit and pompador, but it’s nice to see this new look).

Anon
Anon

Beautiful!

tisha

love it!!!!

bj
bj

Yes, it’s nice to see her in a different look and in a more casual setting.

I will say, though, I hope people/the media don’t began to make it like she’s changing who she is or her standards when they see her in clothes like this. The suit look and this look are all part of her. Even, if you search her old songs on Youtube, there are several images of her with a style that’s more similar to her look in the above pic.

jenna marie christian

she looks beautiful

ghanaianemprezz

The change is gorgeous!!

Deb
Deb

she explained why she dresses the way she does and it’s very inspiring so I’m hoping she’s not changing up her look to look like everyone else. I’m not talking about her casual, day to day look but her professional wardrobe.

Thegorjess1
Thegorjess1

OMG FINALLY! I swear the look she had before was just beyond played out for me. She is such a doll & the suit & pomp was not cutting it in my book. Just because you’re versatile with your look doesn’t mean you’re “selling out”. Anyhow I’m glad to see her look less androgynous.

Asi Chii
Asi Chii

Nice to see the softer more feminine side of her. Now if she can just step out of black into pastels etc wooo weee watch out now!

Shell

I’m happy to see her switch up her look. She looks lovely.

Denise
Denise

People are who they are. She is not her clothing. She is beautiful inside and out. I’m delighted to see a softer side of her too. Her music and the message to her music will be the same no matter what she wears, it’a all about what we hear.

Angela
Angela

She looks beautiful. I love the new look!

Ariane

I for one am glad to see her in another look, its cute!

jeanettesdaughter
jeanettesdaughter

cute. she now looks like everyone else. her signature look was perfect. androgynous? no problema. the new look you can see anytime anywhere on anybody. what next “another sad love song?” just frizzing your fro, but no criticism intended! she has natural beauty and endless style no matter what. janelle monae puts the ‘reet’ in petite!

Cheryl

I love her style. Her serenity is reminiscent of Sade. She’s not flashy, but Audrey Hepburn classy. She’s brought back the concept of leaving something to the imagination.

To be perfectly honest, I’ve never heard her sing. I’ve only seen her photographs in the media. But I am certainly looking forward to hearing her.

Houston

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you writing this post and the rest of the site is really good.

nesha
nesha

who’s that girl touching all over my future baby mama Janelle monae 🙂 jk no but really who is that