5 Oils that are Great for Hair and Skin

Avatar • Apr 3, 2013

sunny-isle-jamaican-black-castor-oil

via NaturallyCurly.com

If you have oily skin and then you have probably been conditioned to believe that oil (whether it came from your own pores or from outside sources) is the enemy. And if you think about it, oil in reference to skin is not the only oil that gets a bad rap. Only recently did we discover that there is such a thing as “good” oils for use in our diets as well. We now know that there are healthy oils and fats that we should eat (in moderation, of course) to help keep our bodies performing at their best. They supply essential fatty acids for brain and nerve function, cardiovascular health and beautiful skin. We can add these healthful oils into our diets by eating items like nuts, avocado, olive oil and coconut. Even with this dietary “aha moment,” many still balk at the notion of actually using oil in skin and hair care routines.

Furthermore, if you have ever shopped for natural oils then you know they can be very pricey, so when you do buy one it is useful to know that they have many uses and benefits that are well worth the investment. Here are five oils that serve double duty in your beauty regimen: they have just as many benefits for your hair as they do your skin.

1. Emu Oil

For skin
Emu oil is an all-natural oil obtained from the inedible parts of the emu. Emu oil has the ability to cause cellular regeneration in the skin, making it excellent for burns and scars and even the reduction of wrinkles and can improve skin elasticity.

For hair
Because it is hypoallergenic, antibacterial and rich in fatty acids, hair can also benefit from regular use of emu oil treatments. Emu oil can help hair appear livelier, healthier and be more resilient to environmental and hormonal stresses. It is also anti-fungal and antibacterial, so emu oil helps to break down buildup and residue at the scalp and roots, which can increase volume and manageability.

2. Argan Oil

For skin
Argan oil has been used by women in Morocco for generations to achieve more youthful, healthy skin. It improves dry skin, acne, psoriasis, eczema, wrinkles & premature aging. It doesn’t clog your pores and it regulates sebum production (a plus for blemished skin). It restores elasticity to skin and noticeably softens wrinkles and fine lines, reduces skin irritation and inflammation, and smoothes stretch marks.

For hair
You can also use argan oil as a hair treatment for deep conditioning or as a pre-styling product-it restores shine to hair and helps mend split ends. It’s packed with twice as much Vitamin E as other oils so it’s also amazing for your nails and cuticles.

3. Tamanu Oil

For skin
Tamanu oil is a nut-based oil with many known uses from reducing inflammation and irritation to helping with hair and skin regeneration, making it a great for acne, sunburns, and scarring.

For hair
Apply to thick, dry hair as a moisturizing treatment before or after shampooing.

4. Jamaican Black Castor Oil

For skin, diet & hair
Jamaican Black Castor Oil has a traditionally been known as an all-purpose healing oil. It can be used to treat dietary ailments as well as various skin disorders, though now it is most popularly used in hair care.
As an unrefined form of castor oil, Jamaican Black Castor Oil is very rich in nutritive properties. Jamaican Black Castor Oil is processed differently from usual versions of castor oil- it is made by manually roasting and then grinding the castor beans. Then the beans are heated up and the oil extracted from the crushed beans. It’s the unique roasting process that gives Jamaican Black Castor Oil its distinct dark color.

5. Coconut Oil

For skin
Coconut oil provides deep and real moisture to the skin and hair in a way that far surpasses any commercial/manufactured moisturizer. Apply a bit to your face just as you would a normal moisturizer to strengthen your skin and remove dead skin cells on your skins surface. And since a little bit goes a long way, it’s a budget friendly replacement for your body lotion as well. It will leave your skin soft and glowing.

For hair
Use it in your hair to detangle, deep condition, or on dry ends to hydrate and tame frizz.

Ladies have you tried any of these oils on your hair and body? What’s your review?

Tricia
Tricia

I use Coconut oil on my hair and skin and sometimes I use Castor oil on my face. I’ve also used Jojob and Grape seed oils on my skin and hair.

crist_lite
crist_lite

im afraid to use castor oil on my person because its suppose to thicken and increase hair growth so.…yeah..

J. Nicole of UrbanExpressive
Reply to  crist_lite

Lol it’s actually really good. During the day I add a few drops to my regular moisturizer and at night I use it alone or coconut oil only. No mustache or beard so far 🙂

crist_lite
crist_lite

lol good to kno

Tami
Tami

Ha!!!

mercy
mercy

I use coconut oil all the time for my hair and skin. For some reason I can’t find any Jamaican black castor oil well I live in a very rural area. I looked in Walmart but I didn’t see Any.

Sojourner
Reply to  mercy

I know what you mean! I just ordered mine from Amazon because I couldn’t find it anywhere. I bought my coconut oil on Amazon too. I just started using the JBCO yesterday and I can’t wait to see the results in the coming months!

Alue
Alue
Reply to  mercy

I ordered the black castor oil from Amazon.com

Alue
Alue
Reply to  Alue

Sorry! I didn’t see the previous comment.

Bev
Bev
Reply to  mercy

I have seen the Jamaican black castor oil in the smaller beauty supply stores. Try looking in there.

Ray
Ray

tea tree oil. i use it for blemishes and/or pimples. they’re gone the next day.i also use another bottle of tea tree oil for my hair.i mix it with olive oil for a daily moisturizer and for my hair line i use it undiluted.

Capri
Reply to  Ray

I didn’t know tea tree is good for blemishes? How do you use it on your face? Do you mix it with something else, I would think it might burn? Thanks for tip!

Cleo
Cleo
Reply to  Ray

I use Jason’s tea tree oil for acne I like it a lot no burning or anything. I’m not crazy about the strong smell but I’m getting use to it

Jeanetta
Jeanetta

I ordered emu oil once and used it but I could not get the image of someone squeezing the poor bird out of my mind, so never again. I love mixing a big jar of coconut oil with a bottle of apricot oil and slathering it on my hair and body. Keeps me soft and smelling good! 🙂

Holly

I love coconut oil. We use it in our house for everything from our hair to our skin, and even as an ingredient in our homemade deodorant!

Nubian
Nubian
Reply to  Holly

How do you make the homemade deodorant? Been looking for a way to do this.

Treasure0806
Treasure0806

I have very bad eczema. After I bathe, I use a combination of JBCO, coconut oil, and EVOO. It works wonders. My skin feels buttery smooth and soft. I will try argan oil for blemishes.

jjac401
jjac401

My hair and skin love grapeseed and argan oils.

nappy headed black girl

Another argan oil fan checking in. I like how moisturized it leaves my hair feeling and the fact that it has no smell.

karajw
karajw

I can attest to coconut oil its best used right after you get out the shower it makes the skin feels so smooth

Organixvizion
Organixvizion

I have seen FABULOUS wonders while using Jamaican Black Castor Oil on my hair and scalp. I do not use this product alone! I normally combine it with a leave-in and another oil(peppermint for my scalp). One recipe that truly benefits my hair is the Jamaican Black castor oil, aloe vera juice, and kinky curly know today conditioner(in equal parts). I got the recipe inspiration from Kimmaytube. I just took away some of the extra oils and replaced them with the JBCO! I went to a natural hair salon and the stylist ran her hands through this thick type 4… Read more »

jyotipatel
jyotipatel
Reply to  Organixvizion

Hello.

Adrina

I live for coconut oil lol. It’s the only thing that tames my hair (very thick, 4B). It’s great for moisturizing, adding shine, & less frizzing. I use it as a pre-poo, and I mix it in with my conditioner. For my skin, I mix it in with my lotion.

Shannon
Shannon

I live down south and I am having alot of problems with frizz. Every twist out or bantu knot or anything just gets frizzy when I walk out the door! Help ya’ll! I have 4a hair. Is there a oil I should use or am I going to be wearing puffs all summer 🙁

Megzo
Megzo

How about mustard oil?
See link: http://www.livestrong.com/article/285702-what-are-the-benefits-of-mustard-oil-for-hair-growth/
For hair loss, I would recommend mustard oil with turmeric. Both are widely use in India.

For my hair mask, I make a jar containing:
70g of shea butter (organic unrefined)
35g of coconut oil (organic unrefined)
1 table spoon of argan oil (organic)
1 table spoon of jojoba oil (organic)

I put some on my hair after a wash and I keep it at night. Great results.
Two of the oils listed above are included in my recipe. I will try the emu oil. I had never heard about it.

jyotipatel
jyotipatel

I Use olive oil or coconut oil to my face and hair.Both are very useful.
And I want to use all other oils to my skin and hair..Thank you..
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/aad.JPG[/img]

May
May

Thanks for the really helpful article, I love argan oil, actually I have one by Pro naturals and its really amazing gor hair.

Kayla

I do agree with all of the concepts you’ve introduced in your post.
They are very convincing and can definitely work. Still, the
posts are very quick for novices. Could you please
lengthen them a little from next time? Thank you for the post.

Tessy joy
Tessy joy

Pls can someone help me with d name of a good body lotion ad soap i can use on my dark skin. I realy want a good lotion dat can make my skin soft and shining

simmy @ pinstraighthair.com

I am using coconut oils for my hair and sometimes on my body, its cheap and best method also its a naturally thing so don’t have to think about its side effect 🙂