YouTuber Burns Her Hair Off with Flat Iron: What We Can Learn

Avatar • Mar 6, 2013

On my YouTube trawls I found this video where a girl used a curling iron and her hair literally melted off! Honestly I have never seen anything like this, even when my hair was double processed and pretty brittle (relaxed and coloured), it could still withstand heat and further more since my hair was said to be super extra kinky, it would be heat abuse with at least 30s to 1 minute holds.

I am guessing that her hair may be bleached and/or colour treated which is why it really could not take the heat. A second lesson is that you should really know how hot the curling irons or flat irons are. A final tip is that when using heat, your hair should not get so hot that you cannot touch it.

I know some people out there are laughing at this poor girl but I was really sad for her, she looked beyond shocked and could not comprehend what was happening. Lucky for her that it was just the first section and she can hide that part while it grows back. I am glad that she posted the video, honestly people need to learn to respect heat tools and there is nothing like this video to understand responsible use. Normally heat damage will happen exactly like this but will take several weeks or months, seeing it in one flash is really sobering.

About The Natural Haven

Scientist on a hairy mission!

Margaret
Margaret

Wow — i feel for the girl. And I didn’t laugh — I’ve been there. I hope she got some good treatment for her hair going forward.

raw
raw

Oh lawd!!!! I just laughed till I cried.… her facial expressions… OMG poor girl!

Lucille
Lucille

JC show your hair..you have been blogging for years

Jc
Jc
Reply to  Lucille

The answer is still no, keep asking it will still be no 🙂

nicole
nicole
Reply to  Jc

As a follower of yours for about 3 years i have to take this opportunity while i have it.… why not? why not with your face blocked out?

looking for some friendly dialogue

Kade
Kade
Reply to  nicole

I bet this will probably be one of those things of the world where we’ll just never know.…

But I still have hope, sadly, I’m an optimist.

Lucille
Lucille
Reply to  Jc

Ok, but its kinda boring. Anyway, there’s plenty other youtubers n bloggers who show their hair n give similar advice. I’ll pay attention to them.

herlucidsky
Reply to  Lucille

I don’t think it matters whether or not Jc decides to reveal anything else about herself. My only concern is the scientific unbiased content that she so generously provides. Her blog is extremely organized, informative and educational. Everything is based on evidence. She conducts thorough research through scientific experiments as well as the scientific database while citing her findings. Is that not good enough? I am not sure if there are other scientific hair blogs that are more-so dedicated to textured hair like that of Jc’s so I appreciated what she does regardless. We are all curious and that’s fine… Read more »

Nicole
Nicole
Reply to  herlucidsky

I certainly wasn’t making it an issue and I definitely appreciate the scientific information.

Curiosity killed the cat I guess

Britt Britt
Britt Britt

When the video ends, watch the clip of her on “Ellen”. She’s doing just fine. Good for her for posting her misfortune. It’s one of those moments she will never forget.

E. A.
E. A.

It looks to me like that’s her natural hair color (look at her roots and eyebrows). But it also seems like she has very fine hair, and probably set the heat to the one of the highest levels on the wand — or it might be one of those cheap wands that only has one heat setting. If you watch closely, you can see smoke rising from the wand in the background while she’s counting. The poor girl :-s. I’ve made this mistake on synthetic wigs, but never my own hair.

Inas
Inas

When I saw this i almost passed out from laughing, not laughing at her but i have been there before too, when I was a teen thinking I know what i’m doing and i burnt a nice little patch of hair out in the middle of my head.…a damn shame!!! LOLL

Dominika
Dominika

ROTFL!!!!!!#IMINTEARS #TEAMNATURAL

AJ
AJ

She has those curlers on that section waaaay too long

Tabatha
Tabatha

I saw this 2 weeks ago and I laughed so hard I cried, but then I felt bad for her cause she was doing a tutorial and it just went so Wrong!She looked like she wanted to cry. Well bright side at least it was an under piece so she jjust has to keep her hair down.

sl
sl

i’m too afraid to watch!! >_<

asfjkla
asfjkla

It wasn’t a flat iron…

D.P.
D.P.

Hehehe…

7Fille
7Fille

Oh this poor girl!

But the irony of life struck me while watching this video. I in no way attempt to diminish or simplify what we as women of African descent deal(t) with in regards to our hair. But, on a purely female level… the girls with straight hair have burnt their hair for curls, while the curly girls have burnt their hair to staighten it.

jjac401
jjac401

I got a pit in my stomach watching this. It’s so sad to watch, but she held that curling wand on her hair for too long.

kb1908
kb1908

I felt bad, she had to learn the hard way. But when she said 20 sec, I thought that was a bit too long. I always heard it was 5sec

Stace
Stace
Reply to  kb1908

I hold mine for a count of 12 otherwise it doesn’t curl. When I would do my friends of other races hair I found the curl needed to be held for longer.

Karen
Karen

I would have never posted this video…the look on her face was priceless!!

cnj
cnj

I don’t think her hair is colored or processed. she’s like 13 yrs old.The iron was prob just too hot and her hair too find.

cnj
cnj
Reply to  cnj

fine*

Mac
Mac

owtch. I did that once, but it was the early 80s, I was very young and very new at doing my own hair, and this was when we had to heat up metal on an actual stove with flames and test it on a paper towel.

Tippi
Tippi

I was in beauty school and had a client that I burned a piece of her in the back and put it in my pocket. I was shocked too! Pocket curl…

Stace
Stace
Reply to  Tippi

lol @ pocket curl.… I’ve heard that before.…. that’s pretty terrible though. OH boy!

Stace
Stace

That makes no sense. What heat setting was that on??? She didn’t even hold the hair onto the wand for an unreasonable amount of time, and her hair looked to be healthy. Maybe the split end mending spray contributed? Yea I don’t know. I remember years year years ago my mom curled my hair with one of those cast iron and oven curling irons and she sprayed each section with holding spray first and when I went to detangle my hair days later to wash, an entire curl came out from about once inch from my scalp. I was so upset.

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

When I was 11 yrs old in the 6th I burned off my hair and I burned m face.

Jailyn
Jailyn

I’m not gonna lie. I laughed til I cried. Then i showed my mom and she laughed til she cried. I don’t think it was funny that her hair fell out/off… I think the faces she made were PRICELESS. It was just an odd mixture of sympathy and trying not to laugh in order to avoid karma. Poor girl. At least she managed to get some styling advice from Ted FRICKIN Gibson. So all in all,I would say that it wasnt tooo bad. And like some of you said, it’s an underpiece so it’s easily disguisable

Shannon
Shannon
Reply to  Jailyn

LMAO, I’m glad I wasn’t alone! I fell OVA!!!!!

Aiych
Aiych

I saw this on Tumblr and fell out laughing. But I can totally relate unfortunately. I’m super careful with heat, but around Christmas time I used my hot comb and burned right through a chunk of hair close to my nape! I’ve used that hot comb twice before without incident and set it on the EXACT temperature setting as usual, which is pretty low, maybe a 3 or 4 out of 8. But literally one quick pass with the hot comb singed right through my strands. Melted them like they were burned with fire. It was so bizarre, and I haven’t… Read more »

Sophie
Sophie

I saw this a little while ago! So unfortunate yet her reaction makes me laugh! I don’t feel too terrible because she did choose to upload it which means she couldn’t be too traumatized! She just seems to have very fine hair. At least she can hide the section.

imani
imani

I didn’t think it was funny…it was shocking. She’s a young girl like we all once were trying 2 learn how 2 do our hair. I feel sorry it happened but at least it was one section. Id have 2 say the culprit(s) were a combo of her fine grade of hair, excessive heat & the spray she put on her hair.id almost bet if you read the back of that split remedy spray it warns to stay away from direct /excessive heat or even flammable! Honestly at her age,how many of us read that far down the bottle? We… Read more »

Ola Mae
Ola Mae

I felt for her because this happend to me while I was transitioning. I blew out my hair and was trying to smooth out my edges with a small curling iron. The biggest mistake I made here was that the curling iron I used was partially rusted (I know, stupid mistake on my part). I actually believe that is what contributed to my hair burning off. Thankfully, that was four years ago and my hair has grown back since then but it was a lesson learned.

L.Nicole

I burned my hair off with a fork once!

My aunt’s were telling how they used to use forks to curl their hair. They would heat the fork over the flame of the stove then place the hair between the prongs and curl. I thought it would fun to try. When I touched my hair with that, it was as it I took a pair a scissors to it.

Burnt it right off!

cacey
cacey

it’s happened to a good number of people. i laughed, but only because it brought back my memories from the last time my hair got pressed, via the old fashioned hot comb. my grandma got the comb too hot on the stove, and it took out a good number of my hairs, actually in the exact same spot as this girl’s hair. of course, it did grow back to where it was, after a year, but suffice to say that was the LAST time i ever used a hot comb in my hurr. lesson learnt, shall i dare say.

crist_lite
crist_lite

i cant even imagine what a pressing comb would do to that hair

Caramelcurls
Caramelcurls

Wow!!! I would cry…pointblank. lol! The only thing that I can think of is that the temperature must have been way too high on the curling wand. That or either her hair was still damp. I don’t know, I would freak out! This video is a reminder to MAKE SURE the temperature settings on heating devices are at the appropriate level, AND that your hair has a heat protectant on it.

Meosha

My soul cried when I watched this video and I can totally relate. The same thing happened to me when I was her age, accept right before (trying) to spiral curl my hair I applied a ton of spritz. My hair started smoking and fried onto the curling iron. This is what happens when your mother turns your hair over to you to start doing it yourself ‑_-

Kinky Canuck
Kinky Canuck
Reply to  Meosha

The same thing happened to me not once, but twice in my life. I also used a lot of spritz to hold my curl. My hair tuck to the curling iron, sizzled, turned to a golden crispy hue and burnt right off. It was a sad 4 6 months in my world until my “bangs” grew back.

Tonna
Tonna

LOL! I can definitely relate. It’s cool that she got to be on Ellen’s show. She’s suck a sweet young lady. I wish her all the best. 😉

Tonna
Tonna
Reply to  Tonna

such*

Peary
Peary
Reply to  Tonna

All those hair product we received damn, she must feel happy that she uploaded the video.

Peary
Peary

*products she received lol

Jenny
Jenny

Did anyone else see the advertisement of flat irons right under this story? Lolololololol

Karin
Karin

When I first saw this I thought it was fake, it wasn’t until she was on the Ellen show that I realized that it was real and that she was very young, I think 14 years old. It was not funny to me, because I know the feeling of having your hair burn off. At least she did not burn off a large quantity of hair. Still don’t understand how the flat iron burned off her hair.

Jinx
Jinx

How hot was that wand when she used it?! I mean it didn’t just burn the hair it melted it to the wand! WTF! That’s crazy! 🙁

Vintage
Vintage

Its funny and emotional at the same time. Admittedly I did laugh, I tried to hold it in and that resulted in watery eyes. I can’t imagine how I’d react if I did something like that. But damn she did leave that curling wand on her hair for ages before letting it go. She probably didn’t use heat protectant and her hair was probably very weak and damaged in the first place.

Khala
Khala

omg you posted it!!!! lol i saw this at the beauty salon and we all DIED!

Khala
Khala

i know its mean to laugh but…all i can say is she got some bad advice, and really didnt know what she was doing

Naomi
Naomi

My science teacher’s niece!

Kathleen Suzanne Turner
Kathleen Suzanne Turner

I could not and would not laugh. How unfortunate. About a year ago I realized that my hair was getting thinner and thinner. Then my curling iron left a burn mark on my bathroom counter (very much like a cigarette burn….and I don’t smoke). Shortly after that I burned my neck with the curling iron and it wasn’t even on my flesh for a micro second. I realized that the setting was all the way up to the highest setting (approx. 450 degrees). I realized I was burning my hair off. I reset it to the lowest setting and I… Read more »

shana
shana

that curling iron was way to hot thats what it was