The 2013 BGLH Protect Ya Ends Challenge!

Avatar • Feb 1, 2013

c7172f5b6927660

On January 1, 2012, we did our first ever group BGLH challenge! More than 100 of you joined the effort to stay accountable in keeping our ends tucked and moisturized to ensure length retention. Well, we’re doing it again!! And we’d love for you to join us on this 3 month journey, from today, February 1 to April 30. Click here if you’re interested in joining, and/or want to see participation rules and requirements.

Val
Val

Are you allowed to wash your hair out (as in loose) or in the protective style?

AC
AC

Does being in a scarf and/or underneath a hat qualify as tucked? If so I’m in!

AC
AC

Ah man… I’m in the in between stage, I don’t really think I can tuck my hair… I just twist it and put a satin scarf on it then my hat of choice 🙁

mangomadness
mangomadness
Reply to  AC

Why doesn’t a hat count as tucked? The forum says headwraps count. Hair under a hat would be protected in a similar manner…

Dani
Dani

Count me in.

nomo_nonsense
nomo_nonsense

I definitely want to join. I have actually reached a plateau with my hair growth and was thinking about cutting off an inch as a kind of reset. Problem is my forehead is big so buns aren’t that flattering and I have no creativity when it comes to my hair.

madametj
Reply to  nomo_nonsense

You can create fake bangs in the front by leaving out hair in the front when you make your bun, then make a few twists and pin them like a side-swept bang.

Najah
Najah
Reply to  nomo_nonsense

My forehead is big too. And when the light hit’s it just right, it looks like I have a giant upside down pyramid on it.lol XD Just do some baby hair and flaunt it. Look at Tyra and Rihanna. A lot of people are insecure about a prominent feature, but once they embrace it, they are more beautiful for it. I mean really, Rihanna has a DOME. You gonna tell me that child ain’t beautiful? You better work.lol

ivicoco
ivicoco

How about french braids, do they count?

tabatha_frm_RI
tabatha_frm_RI

good luck ladies have fun with it. remenber it’s just hair.

MaKenzie
MaKenzie

How about twists and/curls??

Ms.Amena
Ms.Amena

So I may haveto do this cause I just got through cutting about 1–1.5in from my hair. It’s my third end trim about 1/4in to 1in each timein 19mos with one actual cut for shape taking off about 2.5 inches at my one year anniversay. hhhhmmmmmmm.…

selinda
selinda

I’m in, but I’m trying to figure out how to sign up‑I was connected to wordpress and did a sign up under there but I’m not sure if I was joined to the challenge.

crist_lite
crist_lite
Reply to  selinda

check your email

Curly Queen

Wish I could but unless I’m in braids I just can’t commit to three months of protective styling and I can’t do braids right now because I have product I need to use up.

Joy Love
Joy Love

I’m in! PLEASE ADD ME TO THE LIST!!!!

Joy Love
Joy Love

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Mirror1.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Protected.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Length.jpg[/img]

temptingbeauty
temptingbeauty

how long does your hair have to be for you to join and does canerows count?

kina
kina

I’d like to join the challenge.

Zoe Ivey
Zoe Ivey

once you’ve commented on the starting date that means you have joined right? BGLH please enlighten my darkeness because i created a word press on feb 1 and commented on this thread the same day in order to join the challenege so i hope that counted : D my hair has been braided into 2 cornrows and the ends tucked underneath since then since ive been at home the whole time. When i go to school i have it in a bun with the ends tucked in safely. i just washed it and braided it into six big plats and then… Read more »

Zoe Ivey
Zoe Ivey

Dianna
Dianna

I want to join. I had my hair cut this weekend to get rid of the damage and dead ends. It was mid-back and now it is past the shoulders. 🙁 Starting over and want to join the challenge. I have relaxed hair is that okay. Does french rolls count as protective.

clare
clare

i did not know you guys were doing this.my hair has been tucked for 1 week and 1 day ^^ so does that mean i cannot wash it? and it has to be air dried. please be more specific thank you

clare
clare

Hicks
Hicks

About me: Hi, I’ve been following BGLH for a while but recently “joined” for this challenge! My name is Brittany…but I go by that or Hicks, which is my last name. I’m really excited to be doing this with other naturals. About my hair: My hair is a mixture of 3C, 4A, + 4B. I’ve been natural for going on 8 years. The first 2 I spent with a close cut, and after that I’ve alternated between twist outs, straightening, and buns. In the last 2 years I’ve decided I want to grow my hair long. I want the kind… Read more »

cococrispecurl

Hi Gals,
I finally have my beginning pics, but the file size is over 2MB! Here’s a link to my youtube video with pics. Over the last couple days, I’ve been wearing a bun. I cowashed and applied KBB Hair Butter to seal the ends. I’ll probably do a braid out on Friday night and try different styles through out the week. My hair hasn’t been this short since transitioning 3 years ago, and it’s a bit of a challenge.

cococrispecurl

Hey! Sorry I’m just now seeing this. My starting stats were that I had layers, the shortest layer being 8 inches and the longest was 12.

Angelic Messanger

I’m really excited about joining, but exactly where do you post for the 2013 Protect Ya Ends Challenge? Thanks.

dayna
dayna

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2–13.png[/img]

my protective style: flat twist and bun

longhairIcare9
longhairIcare9

Hey girls, my hair is about nape of the neck length, after my big chop three weeks ago. My goals are to reach shoulder length by the beginning of the summer. I plan to keep my hair in braids, tuck and roll styles, and my fav go to french braids and up dos. images posted below…ttyl

longHairIcare9
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/TPhoto_00004.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/TPhoto_00002.jpg[/img]

longhairIcare9
longhairIcare9

Ok so I’ve been away for a minute but I’m back now my hair has been in the same hairstyle washed and dried of course but the same hairstyle. Now I’m getting ready for a hair expo in Harrisburg, Pa tomorrow at the Radison. I’m so excited because it’s my first hairshow!!!
Anywho deep condition tonight, wash, air dry, rockin the ‘fro tomorrow.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/TPhoto_00015.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/TPhoto_00012.jpg[/img]

cococrispecurl

Hey gals! Sorry I’m reporting in so late. I had some growth, nothing noticeable when it’s not stretched. I was sick for about 60 days of this challenge, including a couple ER visits and surgery, so occasion, I could care less about my hair. I really got into my YT videos and now that the challenge is over, I can’t wear to try different WnG styles. I’m definitely going to roll back into protective styles this fall, but until then, it’s going to be OUT OUT OUT! 🙂 http://www.youtube.com/cococrispecurl