Is Natural Hair Less Manageable Than Relaxed Hair?

Avatar • Feb 25, 2013

loohair

By Chinwe of Hair and Health

Just like many of you, I have had both relaxed hair and natural hair.  Prior to big chopping five years ago, no one could have convinced me that my natural hair was manageable.

You see, in my relaxer days, my new growth became unbearable after about four weeks and really annoying at six weeks.  I had to make sure my hair was “laid”, or perfectly straight down to the roots in order to get a comb through it.  Only then – when my hair was super straight – was my hair “manageable”, and this became more obvious as I began to transition to natural years ago.  There was no way that my stick straight ends combined with my kinky new growth were any more manageable than a fresh relaxer.  However, relaxers were damaging my hair and I was willing to go natural even it took more work.  But would it really take more work?

After my big chop, I was taken aback at how manageable my natural hair was, especially with the right products.  It was no longer stiff, dry, and hard but soft and pliable.  I could go outside in the rain with my TWA (teeny weeny afro) and not be afraid of the weather ruining my style.  I could quickly transform a bad hair day into a good one by wearing a puff and spritzing with some water.  I could even retain a lot more length than when I had a relaxer.  I was now convinced that my natural hair was very manageable.

As my natural hair has gotten longer, I am not going to lie and say that this journey is as easy as it was for me right after the big chop.  I do have my days, particularly when it comes to detangling, when my natural hair is a bit of a challenge.  However, I certainly do not miss standing in the bathroom applying a relaxer to my head, then rinsing, then neutralizing, then conditioning religiously every several weeks.  I do not miss trying to make my new growth more “manageable” by relaxing it bone straight.

Is MY natural hair less manageable than my relaxed hair was?  No.  The fact that I let my strands just be “natural” from the roots to the tips makes it all the more “manageable” for me.

Ladies, is natural hair less manageable than relaxed hair?  Share your thoughts!

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

silkynaps
silkynaps

For me, yes.
I prefer that my hair always be styled and the styles I like only last until my hair gets wet. So, yes. My natural hair is less manageable than relaxed hair. When relaxed, I had the length to swoop it up into a bun. I don’t, yet, have that luxury…but I am patiently awaiting the day because I enjoy styling my natural hair and nothing about straight hair appeals to me.

Sirius Moore
Sirius Moore

natural hair is great unless its a nappy afro. You can’t do any messy buns or anything sexy with kinky hair. Natural is only easy if you’re puerto rican. beauty is in the eye of the beholder, sure, but afros are ugly. a cloud of hair that can’t fit into a pony tail, hair that grows upwards like the earth has no gravity, is ugly and difficult.

Jamila
Reply to  Sirius Moore

Completely disagree. I have a 4B/4C and my hair stays looking right. My hair is in a bun right now as a matter of fact! It’s comments like yours that encourage self hate and dislike of natural hair and afro textured hair. I really hope you learn to understand how problematic a statement like the one you shared is.

Gloria
Reply to  Sirius Moore

I’m gonna have to disagree with you on that one, hon. Natural hair is very sexy, regardless of the hair type. Natural hair is as unique as the personality of the head from which it grows. The wide variety of colors, textures, lengths, and thicknesses of all of the different heads of hair in the world is astounding. The way that natural hair complements a person’s features is always amazing, too. “One hair type fits all” is not and can never be a reality. I love it when I can look at a person’s hair and think, “Her hair is… Read more »

Ronke
Ronke
Reply to  Sirius Moore

WOW.…

May I suggest you peruse the MANY natural bloggers and vloggers with “hair that grows upwards”…perhaps seeing how they love and style their hair may change your opinions on what constitutes beautiful, sexy hair.

msboogee
msboogee
Reply to  Sirius Moore

Troll

merry
merry
Reply to  Sirius Moore

@sirius moore

seriously?

some posts should just be deleted. i mean, i don’t think a person should be allowed to cruelly attack the reason for this site’s existence.

Tati
Tati
Reply to  Sirius Moore

Dude, you came to the wrong website.

sade
sade
Reply to  Sirius Moore

Troll harder tho

miani
miani
Reply to  Sirius Moore

Actually, straighter hair tends to grow vertically. The cylindrical hair shaft of persons with straight hair naturally grows upward/downward; it takes heat (and chemicals like in hairspray) to manipulate those proteins into holding a shape. Natural hair in context of this article and your post has a flat hair shaft–this is why the hair is curly or kinky, because it is more susceptible to bending in multiple directions. Naturally curly, kinky,twisty, coiling, serpentine hair grows radially from the head–both vertically and horizontally in accordance with your growth pattern. No one style is any better/more beautiful than the other; the best style… Read more »

Toni
Toni
Reply to  Sirius Moore

Sounds like you realllllyyyy hate yourself and your hair. I feel bad for you because you have to put other people down to feel better. Honey, you should look on this site and the many other natural hair sites and you will see many heads of beautiful afro textured hair.

XOXO

Ms LiLi
Ms LiLi
Reply to  Sirius Moore

Don’t feed the troll. Some people just post for attention and shock value.

Same Chic Different Day

I think my natural hair is more manageable. It’s certainly way more versatile…I can roller set/blow it out, or wear it curly. Initially, I was at a loss regarding what to do with my texture, but I’ve learned to keep it simple in terms of products and manipulation. Straightening definitely takes more work than it did when my hair was relaxed, but it’s worth it. I was always combatting breakage and drying when it was relaxed, and my life revolved around my retouch schedule!

Joy
Joy

No, it’s not. I had a perm for as long as I’ve been natural (about 12 years for both) and I say that they’re equally challenging! With a chemical process, washing and styling required a lot of time and a lot of products. Water was a no no. Breakage was an ever-present threat. I needed regular trims to get rid of split ends. After I went natural, all of these were still true EXCEPT I don’t use as much product natural as I did permed. I don’t know why naturals are spending small fortunes on these products. I have my… Read more »

Rhea
Rhea

I don’t want to control my hair. My hair is a reflection of my own personality: quiet resistance and nonconformity. I detangle it, I wash it, I do all kinds of stuff, and then I let it be. If I let it do what it wants, it tends to be happier, and then I tend to be happier.

As for Sirius Moore, that comment was stupid. Stupid is as stupid does, sure, but that comment was stupid.

Tabatha
Tabatha

When my hair is short then the natural look is horrible so I prefer my hair relaxed, but when it grows out almost to shoulder length its just as easy to take care of natural and relaxed.

Gloria

My natural hair is so easy to manage. I literally spend about 15 minutes every night styling it…and if I don’t feel like retwisting it, I can just pineapple it (which takes approximately 30 seconds) and my hair will still look good the next day. Sometimes detangling takes a while, but not if I’m using a good conditioner. Styling on wash days is just as quick as styling any other day (when I was relaxed, it took me two hours to style my hair after washing it). The wonderful thing is that if my hair is ever looking bad, I… Read more »

L.A.

Straight is a PAIN. Kinks are WAY easier to care for. I’ve been natural for almost 10 years and I will never go back to relaxers! Not having to wear shower caps, swim caps, or the horrible, ugly water-proof bonnets (when it rains) is liberating! My ‘fro loves the rain — hello, moisture!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Lauren.jpg[/img]

Gloria
Reply to  L.A.

I love your hair!!!

Kahtram
Kahtram

My natural hair is more manageable than when its was relaxed more so because now I’m able to handle my hair without worrying that I’m breaking it. My relaxed hair used to be so britte and snap in half at the motion of a comb. I could never get it to retain moisture after two days from a salon deep conditioning treatment. It caused frustration when I did the wash & go. It’d crinkle and become so dry. I avoided water anywhere need my head. I realized how superficial my ways were concerning my hair — I wasn’t dealing with… Read more »

Chicago Chica
Chicago Chica

I think that it’s a trade-off. When I was relaxed, I had to wash, condition, and style it. Because I preferred rollersets, there were hours spent rolling it, and sitting under a dryer. With my natural tresses, I spend time detangling it, but it saves time in the long run. I no longer have to worry about being active and messing up my hair. I prefer my hair in its natural state. It makes me the unique person that God intended me to be, and that’s beautiful.

SJ
SJ

I won’t lie, my idea of manageability is mixed. I would be lying if I said that it took me more than 5 minutes to detangle my hair when it was relaxed, or that I had as many SSKs as I do now. I am not ashamed to admit that my relaxed hair took less time. However, no matter how much more time it takes for me to detangle or style my natural, one thing that makes it all worth it is the fact I am more knowledgeable about my hair than I have ever been. My hair is stronger,… Read more »

sugadiva
sugadiva

What is unmanageable is having new growth with relaxed hair. Either way you have to take care of your hair. I prefer my natural hair as I get to do everything I could have done with my relaxed hair ie weaves, braids, wigs plus all the cute natural hairstyles without permanently changing my natural hair. I find relaxed hair to be just boring now and somehow I look much younger with my natural hair. Once you get the right products and you learn about your hair, it is never unmanageable. Sirius Moore, I gave that comment so many thumbs down… Read more »

JAYKAY
JAYKAY

Manageable” is so subjective. I can “manage” 31 1st graders, calculus, and chemistry. I can NOT manage my own hair, relaxed OR natural. I relax my hair every six weeks (and by I, I mean my hairdresser) and get it maintained every two weeks. We need to stop making OUR hair choices about everyone else. Do what you want with your own hair and focus on what makes YOU happy!

zyaran
zyaran

I would say that yes it’s less manageable than relaxed hair. All of the sessions of me trying to detangle this hair of mine does get old. I do miss having relaxed hair especially doing those moments of combing through hair with no problem. I can easily style my hair, and have it last much longer. With my natural hair I can get maybe 2 or 3 day hair,and then have to start back over. The constant spritzing of a water bottle mixed with your own whatever is blah… Though my hair is growing nicely and such I do miss… Read more »

Liz
Liz

Anything is manageable if you learn the right technique that works for your hair and the look your trying to achieve. I have long thick hair and washing, conditioning, detangling, and setting my hair takes a while but my maintenance after that is 5 — 15 mins.

Kimberly

I stopped relaxing six years ago. I never did a big chop. So dealing with two different textures was a challeng. Because of this I mastered the art of detangling with the right tools and my fingers. Sure my relaxed hair was easier to comb, but would I go back, no way. My natural hair is very manageable. It’s less time consuming. I would air dry my relaxed hair and then flat iron. It was an all day event. Now I can do a wash and go and actually go.

merry
merry

first, i feel sorry for people who feel they can’t “manage” their own hair.

second, i so detest the word manage being applied to our hair. it is what it is.

third, stop judging your hair.

once i figured out my hair — its likes and dislikes — i was home free. my hair looks beautiful. sometimes i can’t bear to put her away in a protective style. she is looking particularly awesome today.

K.Nicole

My hair is more manageable as a natural. My hair is currently shoulder length & detangling I only do in the shower with my hair wet or damp and it takes no more than 15 min. Also, I just straightened my hair for the first time and it took me the same amount of time it did when I was relaxed to blow dry and flat-iron and I am a 4 hair type. So, why risk relaxer burns, over processing, weakened hair when it takes the same amount of effort and looks the same with my hair natural. Also the… Read more »

Curly Cuban
Curly Cuban

I have always done my own hair. When I was relaxed it would take me about 2 1/2 hours between washing, DC and drying. Now that I am natural, it takes me about 1 1/2 hrs to do my hair on wash day and I do this twice a week . I no longer fret about my hair getting frizzy, reverting when straight and lack of moisture. I love my natural hair! It took a long time to say that. Love what God’s given you! Everyone’s hair is unique and once you learn what it likes it reward to you is… Read more »

lulu
lulu

i find my hair straight to be more manageable, i dont have to do anything except wrap it up and take it down. when i dont have a my hair straight im always twisting, braiding, doing something just to have a style to wear later and its never anything i would consider acceptable for lets say a date or a job interview (for example, yesterday spent a few hours doing my hair from start to finish, braiding it in two french braids one on each side, just so it can set and i can wear it for something i need… Read more »

Michelle
Michelle

My hair is more manageable natural, AND I’m more careful with my natural hair than I ever was when it was relaxed, curled or even texturised!!

Sabrina
Sabrina

I must be the only one but my hair is less manageable natural. I’m even thinking of getting it relaxed again. I went natural by mistake. I cut my hair for fun one day ( you may call it big chop) and just never put a relaxer. It’s been 2 years but now it’s longer and full and corse and I can’t braid. It’s definitely challenging.

Stace
Stace
Reply to  Sabrina

You sound like you might benefit from deep conditionings, pre-poo treatments, henna treatments, or the coconut milk natural-laxer treatment. Try those methods before you choose to relax again. You might even try mild heat to help. Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water just yet.

Sabrina
Sabrina
Reply to  Stace

Thank you for the advice but I do most of the things you said but will try pre pooing. I’m giving it another 6 months but I think I have more of a styling issue. My fingers just don’t want to cooperate.

Wisani
Wisani
Reply to  Sabrina

I feel the exact same way. I wanna give natural a try but really close to relaxing it again. Better luck on my 2nd attempt of going natural

Stace
Stace
Reply to  Sabrina

I hear what you’re saying. All these same hair practices can be used on relaxed hair, so your hair should still be nice and healthy as long as you treat it well. Good luck.

For the Love of Curls
Reply to  Stace

You may think of finding a good stylist. Sometimes we think that natural automatically means DIY but we are not all gifted self stylist and there’s nothing wrong with getting help.

Marie
Marie
Reply to  Stace

To Sabrina:

I appreciate your honesty.Natural is about unlearning all you know about hair and starting with a blank canvas and THAT is not easy.

You may benefit from a using weaves or braids to have a break and use this time to make a decision not based on styling frustrations.

Straightening every 3 months or blow drying monthly might help. Just do you.

Stace
Stace

I think healthy hair is easy to manage period. What I find alot of people comparing here is not relaxed vs. natural hair but damaged versus healthy hair. Natural hair can be unhealthy, dry, and prone to breakage as much as relaxed hair.
Alot of people have bad practices when it comes to hair for instance, not conditioning with every wash, not moisturizing pre and post washing, not trimming, and over use of heat styling tools. This is true of relaxed and natural wearers.

Marie
Marie
Reply to  Stace

Good distinction made!:D

Polliany
Polliany

Much HAPPIER with my natural hair. I used to literally waste an hour of my day every week under a blow drier straightening my hair and then be extra careful not to sweat, or pray that it never rained. Now I’m FREE! Much more manageable, though I take 30 minutes detangling I know what to expect with my natural hair.

Miche
Miche

Relaxed hair is wayyy more maageable and cheaper.
I mean you could just swoop your hair into a pony with a brush.
Idk who some of y’all are kidding.
With natural hair..just the washing alone takes hours,
not to mention the styling.…

But natural hair is healthier, more diverse and fun…that’s why I’m not going back to the creamy crack.

Alycia
Alycia
Reply to  Miche

I can’t agree with you more! I’m never going back, but it has been a rough journey. About a year ago I had the same complaints as you, but now I’ve found effective AND efficient ways to wash, detangle and style my hair without it taking up half of my day. It just takes time and dedication.

Brittany
Brittany
Reply to  Miche

I would agree that my relaxed hair was more manageable, but I could never say that it was cheaper. I’ve never spent less money on my hair in my entire adult life.

I don’t know what I’m doing differently, but washing, detangling, and conditioning has never taken me hours. Styling is usually a style I can set overnight, so that’s never an issue either. I just try not to put too much thought into my hair. With low-manipulation styling, I have already regained the length I had before I BC’d with no hassle at all.

Michelle
Michelle
Reply to  Brittany

Agreed! Even if I go to get my hair put in cornrows at the hairdresser, I no longer have to wait the WHOLE DAY!!! I just go in, get my hair done and then I’m free to do my errands and what not. I never had that with my relaxed or chemical-curled hair, no matter how early I got to the hairdresser’s, I usually ended up leaving in the evening :/

stephanieb
stephanieb
Reply to  Miche

I agree Miche. You can’t act like having natural hair is automatically easier because for some of us that have really tight curl patterns, or practically none at all, it can be VERY frustrating and time consuming. There are some naturals whose curl patterns aren’t as tight, therefore making it easier to style, so I could understand them feeling like being natural is easier. Nevertheless, I too think that natural hair is definitely healthier and I am NEVER going back to the creamy crack, because while my hair was easier to maintain, it damaged my scalp to no end, some… Read more »

mangomadness
mangomadness

Is MY natural hair less manageable than my relaxed hair was? No. The fact that I let my strands just be “natural” from the roots to the tips makes it all the more “manageable” for me.”

I def agree!

Working WITH my natural hair texture is SO much easier than working against it. I’ve been natural for over a little over 4 years and my hair care and styling routine is second nature to me. My kinky, coily, Afro-textured hair is longer, healthier and more beautiful than ever before.

Rose
Rose

Yes it is…if you don’t know what you’re doing. Just pick up a book or watch a few videos and you’ll realize managing natural hair is a lot BETTER than managing relaxed hair…no matter what texture, thickness, etc. 🙂

D.P.
D.P.

Natural hair takes more time and effort than relaxed hair. I wouldn’t say it’s unmanageable because all hair is manageable. Sometime hair just chooses to be difficult. Black natural hair I believe is the most difficult hair to deal with because typically we have 3–4 different textures on one head and who knows how many different lengths. Somedays its just like… I would rather wear a trucker hat than try to pull my hair into some type of a ponytail.

thelafemmenoir
thelafemmenoir

I am all about simplicity and I prefer natural/organic products…now, but when I was relaxed I put all kinds of “gook” on my hair. Now, I am more conscientious about what products I use on my hair. Sometimes I miss being relaxed because my hair was so long, but I do NOT miss the relaxing sessions and trips to the salon. Plus, it IS growing back and before long, I am sure that I will have my length back. I have found that my hair is more manageable natural than it was when it was relaxed. Admittedly, it did take… Read more »

Meja
Meja

It’s not that my natural hair wasn’t more manageable, it just took more time. I’ve never been one to think spending hours doing my hair is fun so I ended up relaxing again. I’m thinking about going natural again, but transitioning and using heat to help control my hair.

stephanieb
stephanieb
Reply to  Meja

That’s what I did and my hair is doing much better. I stopped perming my hair a few years and just flat-ironed it, which was kind of trial and error for a while, because one of the ladies that I was going to gave me heat damage. I am now going to someone who really understands my hair, deep conditions it regularly, and uses a heat protectant when flat ironing, and I can now go two weeks without using heat and I am a 4a/b/c. My hair feels better now than it has in years, but it definitely took lots… Read more »

DCW
DCW

Agreed. It’s most definitely easier for me being natural. Dealing with two different hair textures, whenever new growth came in (being relaxed) proved to be a waste of time and money. Trying to avoid breakage and the like always seemed to defeat my purpose which was ultimately healthy hair. I’m so grateful that after all I put my hair through in the past, it’s been so forgiving…back in full force with elasticity and density <3 it!! All glory be to God!!!

Candice
Candice

My hair is way more manageable natural. I think women are romanticizing a perm or the time that was actually involved in caring/damaging your hair. Collectively, when I keep my hair in protective styles most of the time, I spend roughly an hour a week on my hair, plus 30 minutes on wash day (50 minutes if I steam). So in six weeks, that’s 7.5 hours. Now, how many people spent that much time ALONE at the salon every 4–6 weeks getting your hair permed? Especially is you went on a Saturday afternoon, and GOD FORBID you were getting a… Read more »

Jojo satoes
Jojo satoes

Shoot can’t remember what it feels like to have relaxed hair besides spending so many hrs at salon cuz most hair dressers have no concept of scheduling or time. Natural since 97, locs for ten yrs, loose he rest. Going back to relaxed hair is not even an option.

imani
imani

I had to ponder it for a bit but I realized I spent just as much time taking care of my relaxed as I now do on my natural. Between the dc time,the wrap n hair dryer time(up to 2 hrs) ‚followed by flat ironing it to get BONE straight(oh the heat damage I unknowingly caused!)…as a natural I now prob spend an extra 30m bc I spray detangler& let it sit b4 I detangle. I still dc for 30–45m but the diff is after the final rinse, I air dry vs sitting under a dryer..so all n all I… Read more »

Brittany
Brittany

I won’t lie; my relaxed hair was definitely easier to manage. Once relaxed, my style routine [after shampoo and conditioning] was simple: blow dry and straighten. It literally only took me 35 minutes to do and I was out the door. What drove me to the BC almost two years ago? I was tired of having to relax my hair. I was tired of the constant damage and breakage. I loved the silky look I could achieve but the amount of money I spent on products that damaged, then more money spent to try to repair the damage…the process was so… Read more »

Shanna

You have to define manageable. When most people say manageable, they are saying they can run a comb through it with ease and there are no tangles. In that case, relaxed hair is more manageable.

Nakisha
Nakisha

Yes, my hair was easier to comb through while it was relaxed. It took me three minutes to blow my thin, weak hair back into ponytail. Now, it takes more time but once I got a routine and found products my hair likes me an hr on wash (Co wash) night and 20 minutes each night afterward to maintain it. I love love love my hair at its natural state! Creamy crack is the easy way out..
I had to learn to have patience.

Nakisha
Nakisha

(Sorry for the typo!!^^) Yes, my hair was easier to comb through while it was relaxed. It took me three minutes to blow my thin, weak hair back into ponytail. Now, it takes more time but once I got a routine and found products my hair likes, it takes me an hr on wash (Co wash) night and 20 minutes each night afterward to maintain it. I love love love my hair at its natural state! Creamy crack is the easy way out.. I had to learn to have patience.

Rosie

I don’t think natural or relaxed hair is any more manageable than the other. I think for most of us, our entire lives we learned how to take care of relaxed hair so “managing” our natural hair is a challenge even after a few years. I strongly believe, once you truly learn your hair (which took way longer for me than others), managing natural hair becomes quite simple.
For those still struggling don’t give up! 🙂

beauty

I will right away grasp your rss as I can’t find your e‑mail subscription link or e‑newsletter service. Do you have any? Please permit me recognise in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.

Smallfro
Smallfro

I think that natural or relaxed hair can be manageable. I prefer managing my natural hair because if you work with the texture there are less issues. I have not had to do any “cute bob” cuts due to damage and thinness. I have not had to shave my sides due to breakage. I am not constantly on the come back and grow my hair out mode. I just do what I do and it just flourishes. I finally have hair past my shoulders for the first time in my life. I have always wanted long hair and only able… Read more »

JENNID
JENNID

In the beginning natural hair is more difficult because you have to learn and unlearn a lot of things. You go thru a period of fighting your texture wishing it was something else, no styling skills, can’t rely on a pony tail or bun. You get frustrated and wish you could just comb it and go like you use to. But then after struggling you find your stride. Suddenly all the above mentioned crap doesn’t matter. You love your hair. You start to try new styles and new products. You find a rhythm all your own. All this is to… Read more »

Maroonsista

I’ve never worn my hair natural, but my mother and brother have. I honestly haven’t had any of the horror stories about hair falling out or thinning hair, etc. that many women have had with relaxer, but I’ve also never colored my hair and don’t use relaxer more than once every couple to three months so I think I spread it out more than others. I do find that letting my hair air dry makes it more manageable no matter what. Something about hair dryers makes your hair form into the most unnecessary catastrophe, at least for me. When I… Read more »

hadassah

For many new naturals, it seems less manageable than relaxed hair because they are working against the coily textures. Get past that and natural becomes much more manageable.

Cynthia Hardy

Hi I am Cynthia Pryor Hardy? a radio talk show host in South Carolina. We are a LIVE broadcast Sunday evenings 6pm EST You can find our show Onpoint! with Cynthia Hardy on FB.
Our show topic this week (tomorrow) is Natural Hair or Weave/Straight/Relaxed Hair. We are the #1 talk show in South? Carolina. We cover 85% of the state and have a cumulative listenership of more than 75k people each week. Oh–and our call in audience is off the chain. If you have interest/availability, please email me at onpointwithcynthia@gmail.com

Chachamusicgirl

Natural hair is easy for me. All I do is shampoo and go.

Lauren
Lauren

I’ve been getting a relaxer for a couple of years now, and the only time I experienced breakage and dryness was a time I didn’t know how to take proper care of my hair. Even then, it wasn’t hard to get my hair back on track. My hair has never been shorter than my shoulders, it always has that shine, and it’s very thick and full. I don’t see myself going natural for a long time.

Juanita
Juanita
Reply to  Lauren

That’s a shame…” no shorter than my shoulders” is a sad way to measure hair health — which is what going natural is all about. But do you boo :). Those who perm only help us naturals stand out that much more.

SimplePseudonym
SimplePseudonym
Reply to  Juanita

You conveniently left out the rest of the sentence where she also said “it always has that shine, and it’s very thick and full.” [side eye] Natural Nazis are the worst. I have been natural almost 10 years and can say the same as Lauren. My hair was just as healthy with a relaxer as it is without and I have no idea what breakage is like. I tell people that my hair is TOUGH and dosnt seem to break for anything. Different strokes for different folks. I will definitely miss being able to wash and style my hair in less than… Read more »

Shakietha
Shakietha
Reply to  Juanita

Lemme find out yo hair short????????????????????

CurlyHairCare
Reply to  Shakietha

lemme find out” you can’t even spell. if you wanted a picture try asking. but then again I’m sure you’d still find a way to convince yourself that it’s not mine

Timresha
Timresha
Reply to  Juanita

Let me find out ????????????????

trackback

[…] Is Natural Hair Less Manageable Than Relaxed Hair? | Black Girl … […]

tasha fierce
tasha fierce

my relaxed hair was easier to manage. that being said, my natural hair is gorgeous and it’s worth the extra time i put into it.

Joann
Joann

Natural and relaxed hair are easy to manage, as long as you know the tricks and the right products that suits your hair. Find out more on