How to Get Your Wash and Go Curls to Hang

Avatar • Jan 26, 2013

By Cassidy of Natural Selection

CASS!  HOW DO I GET MY CURLS TO HANG!?”

Because natural hair has a tendency to grow up and out rather than down, this is a question I get pretty often. But today is your lucky day because I have an answer!  There is just one simple step that will help you get hang.  Check it out:

Here’s a picture of me without the Hang Technique:

IMG_7402

Annnnd a picture of me with the Hang Technique:

23355_565669313461701_360684329_n

In both of these photos, my hair is equal amounts wet with a very similar cream-gel styling product, but as you can see my curls hang more when I use the technique.

There are three magic ingredients for this Hang Recipe.  Here’s the rundown:

How to Get Hang

Ingredients

• A decent amount of length:  You need a few inches of hair that can’t hang.  Yea, it’s cute and all, but your TWA can’t defy gravity.
  • Your shower: And you need to be in it with clean hair and conditioner still in dem curls.
  • Styling product: Your favorite one!  Whether it’s a cream or a gel, pick your fave and get it in the shower WITH you.

Instructions

• Cleanse your hair as usual
  • Apply conditioner
  • If you are leaving your conditioner in (to use under a gel for example), proceed to step 4. If you are using a rinse out conditioner, pay extra attention here: when you’re rinsing tip your head forward to under the shower.  People often will have their backs to the shower and tilt their head backwards to rinse, but by tipping your head forward you’re rinsing the direction you want your hair to hang.  Here, allow me to illustrate.

Rinse your hair like this!

Rinse your hair like this!

IMG_7392

NOT like this

• Apply your styling product to soaking wet hair.  No plopping here!  And use A LOT.  More than you think you need.
  • Turn towards the shower and let the water run through your hair.  Just a bit!  Not enough to rinse the product out, but think of the water as more of a product application tool, allowing it to set your curls and elongate your strands.
  • Now shake the crap outta your hair and VOILA!  HANG!

The next step might take a bit of practice.  Sometimes I also cup my hands and fill them with water to scrunch water into my curls, either way the key is to use water to your advantage.

Good luck and lemme know how this works for you! Shout out to Dickey of HairRules for introducing me to this technique. It has become my go-to and Lola loves it!

If you’ve got other tips to get hang, leave ‘em in the comments!

Adrina

I’m trying this asap! Great info!

Timara
Timara

My hair takes forever to dry and I normally plop with an old shirt. How do you get your hair to dry quickly with this method?

T. Miquel
T. Miquel
Reply to  Timara

A diffuser attachment to your blow dryer should help! If I need for my hair to dry quickly without shrinking, I’ll gently pull my curls out a bit with the diffuser aimed at that section. Use medium heat and it should come out perfectly! Hope this helps!

Si
Si

This great! I’m a big wash and go fan but had resigned myself to the fact my hair does not hang (just rises to the sun!)
I’m definitely gonna try rinsing with my head forward… never ever thought of that.

Ev`Yan

What is plopping? Help a sister out.

OHR
OHR
Reply to  Ev`Yan

Plopping—>after washing hair, instead of drying with a towel, you grab an old T shirt and place it over your wet hair sorta like a turban. Leave on for awhile [depends on the person] remove T shirt! Don’t touch hair!

Sharon
Sharon

What are we doing to ourselves? Let’s celebrate differences. I look at the photos of women on this site and none of them are the same. Look at the beauty pageants-Ms. America, USA, Universe-no variety all cookie cutter.

Now everyone wants wash and go, curls.. so now everyone will want there curls to hang.

Barbara
Barbara
Reply to  Sharon

Having natural hair is a part of what makes us unique and a part of our similarity. So what if we all do wash and go styles from time to time, so what if we want them to hang, if it makes you feel great and isnt harmful, we should share techniques and strategies to take care of our hair. Thanks for sharing this and I’m gonna try it too!

atlas
atlas
Reply to  Sharon

what on earth are you talking about?

Channing
Channing
Reply to  Sharon

I really don’t think its that serious…this I’d just another styling option, just cause we’re natural doesn’t mean we can’t have tips and tricks to accentuate it or change it up.

I don’t see how this is even remotely an example of what you’re saying.

Shawn
Shawn
Reply to  Sharon

This forum is designed to share ideas and tips for maintaining natural hair. A common issue among natural hair is shrinkage and there are some who want elongated curls for their desired look. To make the assessment that everyone is trying have hanging curls and not celebrate individuality is simply out of left field.

angelyric
angelyric
Reply to  Sharon

Natural hair is just that “naturally yours”.…..So everybody’s hair will hang and look different when doing wash and go’s; truly something to celebrate! Such a blessing to learn new techniques and styles for our hair. A blessing — perception is everything.

Nikki
Nikki
Reply to  Sharon

I must admit, wash and goes seem like forbidden fruit to me, lol. I have type 4a/b/c/d/e “bsl“hair that’s super dense and shrinks like 95%.

I haven’t washed my hair “sectionless” in about 2 years. I’m so afraid of the detangling if I get it wrong…maybe this summer. 🙂 (by the way I’m simply poking some light hearted fun at myself)

e
e
Reply to  Nikki

shrinks 95% »> I FEEL YOU!!! hahah look like i big chopped yesterday even though it’s been a cleeeean 3 years lolololol

MojoJojo
MojoJojo
Reply to  e

I know right! I thoght there was something wrong with my hair, its been 2 yrs since the BC and I still have a tiny afro when my hair is dry! (when stretched, my hair is just below my shoulder)

Kelly
Kelly
Reply to  Sharon

I think teaching naturals who have curly hair or who choose to wear their hair curly how to get their curls to hang down is great. In part, for one practical reason: sometimes curls that are too shrunken mat and tangle worse than curls that have been elongated a little somehow. Then combing or de-tangling is a painful nightmare. Also some of us don’t enjoy working hard for length only to see the length shrink to 70% and in some cases 80% of our natural length.

Lulu
Lulu

I was hoping it wouldn’t require using globs of product. I hate the feeling of having tons of product in my hair.

Jada
Jada

I’ve been using henna for the past few weeks, and have gotten serious hang!
The pic where I have a fro is after washing my hair, with no product on it. I hadn’t started doing henna treatments then. The pic where I have hanging curls is after three Jenna treatments, and using Taliah Waajid’s Curly Curl Cream!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/IMG240.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/IMG260.jpg[/img]

Jo
Jo
Reply to  Jada

Wow.It gos to show it is all about techniques and using the right products to enhance one’s own curl pattern.

I believe everyone has a curl pattern its just a matter of size.

gurlstop95
gurlstop95
Reply to  Jo

Be careful w/ henna. As great as it is, one of the side effects of long term use can be the loss of elasticity in the hair resulting in not so curly hair according to hennaforhair.com. And as a side bar sister girl’s hair is pretty, color and style!

Orihime11
Orihime11

I just had to say that I LOVE the cut and color 😀

Kayla
Reply to  Orihime11

Yes, the color really “makes” her style. Love it!

Candice
Candice

I tried it . It works

Barbara
Barbara

Henna loosens hair texture.

linda
linda

so getting curls like those is only possible with product? and any recommendations?

Candice
Candice

Is there a point where your hair reaches a certain length and you can’t get a fro anymore from a WnG. My hair always falls when I wash it. Is there a way to keep the defined curls but also have a fro with shoulder-length hair?

sheryl
sheryl
Reply to  Candice

I find that lighter products gets me closer to a fro because heavier products are gonna be the enemy when trying to fight gravity.

cris
cris
Reply to  Candice

check out taren916 on youtube, if a fro on longer hanging hair is what you want she will change your life gl 🙂

sheryl
sheryl

This method (which is a lot of dang work and prob not fun in the winter) only seems necessary for shorter hair with bangs.

I never tried to have hanging curls until I was about neck length and I found that plopping in certain directions gave me more hang time. And when your hair is long enough, start the drying process with a low pony tail (I slight blow dry) then take it out and you’ll have hanging curls. I saw that method on YT years back, but I don’t remember who did it.

Kelly
Kelly
Reply to  sheryl

I’m going to try that, sheryl. That’s a good idea. Also, I think braiding curls and banding them once before you get to the ends, then leaving the ends free works. Just place the band a couple inches above your curls at the ends. Put the braids or braid in overnight take it out, loosen the ouchless band that is just above your ends and viola your curls are stretched without losing the pattern too much.

LBell
LBell

I never believed this until it actually happened to me, but “a decent amount of length” differs depending on texture and shrinkage. At Cass’ length (in the pic), my 4b hair wasn’t hanging for nothing, lol. I had to get to around 6″ before my hair started to hang, and then get another 2″ before it would hang for a decent period of time. And really only the looser, less-coily parts in the back and sides hang; my coily top shrinks well over 80% if I don’t stretch it in some way. Can you say “Afro-mullet”? Thing is: Even if… Read more »

sheryl
sheryl
Reply to  LBell

I think I’m a 4something mostly but I never got into the typing thing. I don’t think much effort is required for hanging. But I think it’s less likely with a wash “n go” (quotes because we all know there are more steps than 1. Wash 2. Go as the name implies).

Wash n go is a pain anyway. Detangling for days after a hairstyle that doesn’t have much longevity is the pits. It was my main do back in the day though.

fluffy-in-flight
fluffy-in-flight
Reply to  LBell

I’ve never been interested in hair hanging, but when i first cut my hair I figured that it would grow out and up. I was wrong, I had cut my hair in September 2010 down to about 2 inches, and by January of the following year, I noticed that my hair was actually growing out and down except for the upper portion of the back of my head which was sticking out like a ducks butt. Noting i did look get it like the rest worked, so I just let it be. Even when my hair was past 12 inches,… Read more »

CSI
CSI
Reply to  LBell

I don’t agree with you at all. Type 4 hair does hang.…..in time. The longer the hair the more hang. I loved this post. Besides, the girl in the post seems to have type 4a hair and it hangs. What’s with all the negativity towards Type 4 hair? It’s way awesome. I’m a four and my hair hangs and this little tip was helpful.

Kelly
Kelly
Reply to  LBell

In a weird way, I think that’s what the sister, Sharon, was kind of trying to say with her let’s celebrate our differences but she wasn’t as eloquent, clear, or tactful as you just were so her comment got over 50 thumbs down. Dang, y’all! I don’t like how she put the comment but I get what she’s trying to say and I agree with LBell. Many of us with kinkier hair types are not going to have flaxen, bouncy curls that hang down no matter how long our hair grows and us kinkier hair types need to be okay… Read more »

tanya
tanya

if Sharon was not interested in having her hair hang,why did she even read the article then? hanging or not we’re still all different hair types, unique and different…thanks for the info,nice to learn something new!

Tabatha
Tabatha

Unfortunately my hair just can’t do a wash and go. But its interesting to read how to do it. Maybe when my hair gets longer I might be able to try this, but at the length I’m at now, It just wants to stick to my head.

Natalie
Natalie

Seems like a lot of hassle and product for a style especially as I can’t achieve 2nd day hair. Maybe if I had a special occasion I wanted to dress up for.
She is right about having enough hair to “hang” that makes all the difference.

Fatsani
Fatsani

Hi everyone over 2years natural i used to think my hair needed twistouts but it actualy doesnt. I started the cg method 2.5 months ago and my hair has really enjoyed the moisture and has started hanging. The hang for.me is a bonus what i really wanted was moisture and healthy hair. My hair type is candyfloss and i love it!

Jas
Jas

I love your hair cut and color. Very pretty!

tobreal
tobreal

I found a trick that’ll cost you 8 bucks depending ON your retail called Organics w an X (cause they aint paying me to advertise)Brazilian keratin shampoo and conditioner. Ok so 16 bucks for both but kid you not, I washed and conditioned my hair with this product and it lengthen my curls. Or I should say Let them hang! Lol. This white girl recommended this to me because I was going to blow dry my hair but then I saw the length and went Well I’ll be day-um this stuff works. And it’s actually the bomb if you actually want… Read more »

Mika

Her cut and haircolor are awesome!! Omg.

TMitchell
TMitchell

Let me just say, THANK YOU! The last time I had great, natural curls is when I went to DevaChan salon (can’t afford that every week) but every time I attempted to do a “wash n go” myself, it turned into a “mini fro”…no ma’am. I followed every step you recommended and BAM…beautiful, natural curls with so much hang!

T
T

Wow! Who woulda thought that a simple change in the shower would yield these results! I was wondering how to keep my coils and get them to hang after getting out of the shower. Turns out, I always rinse(d) my hair with my head back. Thanks for sharing this!

Addie
Addie

I am of Italian backround, and many times find black women have better tips on how to care for hair. It is extremely curly and can get very dry. I tried this technique and it worked wonderfully, as my hair tends to go UP and OUT rather than DOWN…this looked great and I was grateful to find it. Thanks!

CSI
CSI
Reply to  Addie

Me too! It worked wonders on my kinky coily curls 🙂

AnonyChick
AnonyChick

Beautiful hair! But, can someone please tell me what lipstick/lipstick shade she’s wearing in the pic with the glasses? I LOVE it! Please and thanks!

Cassidy
Reply to  AnonyChick

That’s All My Purple Life! It’s the Afrobella limited edition MAC lipglass!

Kaye

I have found I can only get this curly look from washing my hair after a twist out. Otherwise, my hair is not curly enough for a simple wash and go. However, I have not tried to figure out how to maintain the curly look because after my hair dries, those cute little wet curls look horrible. Not to mention my hair is kinkier than majority of the people attempting to show others how to work their hair. Therefore, if what I’ve been doing wrong is simply thinking conditioner would help me maintain those twist out curls; when I attempt this… Read more »

Kema
Reply to  Kaye

Are you using all natural products? My hair tends to dry out quickly when I’m not following a strict natural regimen. Try using a spray bottle with water and aloe vera juice. At night before you re-twist and in the morning when you untwist, lightly mist your locks and see if this doesn’t help you retain a bit of moisture.
Truly hope this helps.

MotherNapture

Kaye
Reply to  Kema

Thanks Mother Napture for the advice. I will make an honest attempt to do a wash and go from a twist out using the aloe and water mix. I must admit though I do need to stay consistent with my styling aids, but I had given up on the wash and go cause it seemed too difficult to figure out. And my hair is too thick and course for that shingling mess.

Nikki
Nikki

What is ur color. I love it.

Hairstyles

nice blog!thanks for sharing 🙂

Mona
Mona

Wow nice nice!! I never thought about it it downward.

rachel
rachel

so if you have longer hair flip it over your face and rinse it?

CSI
CSI

I wanted to report back after trying this method. Woohoo! I’m sooooooo happy I did. It worked! My hair was the best it’s been ever.… My curls usually shrink up so much you can’t see them but for some reason they opened up so much and stayed opened. I was amazed and my hair dried faster than normal. Go figure! I diffused pointing downwards for about 15–20 min and then let it air dry the rest b4 going to bed when I braided it up and left the ends out. In the morning!„, i got all kinds of stares and… Read more »

Zoopath
Zoopath

This was humbling. When I first read this I was all kinds of skeptical. Then I saw the part about not plopping and it occurred to me that turning my hair upside down and tying it down may not be the best idea if I want my hair to look longer and not be as poofy. I wash my hair in twists so the direction of rinsing doesn’t come into play for me. Skipping the plopping step changed everything. My hair is more moisturized, softer and has a more flattering shape to it. I am loving the results. Thanks so… Read more »

Deidre McMillan

I will definitely be trying this technique this weekend. Wish me luck!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/HappyNaturalversary.png[/img]

Nikell

A friend referred me to this site when I asked her for tips on my first wash n go. I’ll definitely try this out. Thanks for sharing (^_^)

Shera Lee

I found this technique on a whim and tried it out. I didn’t really take a before pic, but I’ll include a pic from the day before I did this technique and the after picture. I was seriously debating cutting off the back of my hair because the curls are looser and hang more while the rest of my curls are tighter, so the shape was very weird. This elongated my tighter curls and gave my hair the shape I desired without me having to cut off my hair, thank goodness! Thanks Cass!

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/image-18.jpg[/img]

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/image-19.jpg[/img]

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/image-20.jpg[/img]

addie
addie
Reply to  Shera Lee

You are drop dead beautiful!
I love that i found this tip/site…on this site I see all this beautiful natural hair, and a way to care for it. Many people with super curly hair were never taught what works and how to care for it; I didn’t…and most people don’t know that curly hair is VERY dry and prone to breakage. No more broken damaged hair and no more nappy ugly friz up. Soft sexy sproingy curls!
This information rocks and the women who post here are sexy/wonderful.
Thanks again Cass!

girly&curly
girly&curly

to the author of this post,

YOU are the first person i have ever seen that has the same crazy curls that i do! my mother is italian so she never knew how to deal and my dad is black but he’s a dad so he was lost too. my whole life i have been searching and experimenting to try and manage my curls! your post is awesome, please make more!

addie
addie
Reply to  girly&curly

See? I read your post and was laughing…same thing here…Italian side of my family never knew what to do with my hair. SO much HAIR! At one point my mom gave up and just hacked all the hair off. Forget trying to straighten it. I LIKE my curly hair…and now i do not battle with it.
Let it CURL!

Carla
Carla

So excited to try this technique! My hair very much resembles your texture and curl pattern. Do you have a tutorial posted anywhere? Thanks!

Ru St. Vincent

THat makes sense! I was wondering when i would get some hang! i asked a curlfriend of mine who is very far into her natural…when do i get my hair to go down instead of up? this makes great sense! thanks

Karina
Karina

this sounds perfect, Did anybody use mousse as their product?! Is mousse okay to use?

aDawn
aDawn

Cassidy, what products did YOU use?

sarah
sarah

Omg, Thank you this worked perfect on my nieces hair.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/20131221_143020.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/20131221_153544.jpg[/img]

Chaunta
Chaunta

An easy way is to cowash in the kitchen sink using the abovementioned method. Cold water will clump curls even better with this method too. I wouldn’t take a cold shower…kitchen sink.

Shantay
Shantay

QUESTION: My hair is about 13 inches stretched. Do you shake your head while bent over? If your hair is too long for bangs how do you situate the hair without putting it backwards??

FeFe
Reply to  Shantay

You can take a bobby pin and pin back the area of hair towards your crown and then fold the bangs part back down towards your forehead. It will create the illusion of bangs and keeping the length off of your face!

lablooplah
lablooplah

I’ll be trying this out. I have very little curls but they do happen when i do define my curls with conditioner then rinse, although my curls come out a bit too soft and therefore frizz out easily. This post just prompted me to order hair gel off of amazon lol. I’d like to try this. I’m natural who doesn’t really care about growing her hair out, honestly i’m amazed with the fact that i’m wearing my real hair more than anything else. I think this would be a good way to stretch the hairstyle during the week. Thanks for… Read more »

BionicWoman
BionicWoman

Looks great, but if you’re a type 4 with tightly coiled hair and get tons of shrinkage, this technique won’t work. Her hair looks like at least a type 3C. Her curls/coils are already clearly defined.

Adrina
Reply to  BionicWoman

My hair is 4b/4c.….You’re absolutely right because it didn’t work for me lol. If you have 4c hair, a lot won’t work like a “relaxer” straight blowout, flatiron, etc

DancingTerria
Reply to  BionicWoman

I consider myself to have 4c hair and it worked for me. I was doing this technique before I read the website, but I was washing my hair holding my head back. I really had to saturate my hair with the water and the product. Like I don’t even squeeze the water out of my hair. I also couldn’t scrunch my hair, I had to section it off starting at the back and finger comb my the product into my hair to get the curls to form. I hope this helps my 4c sisters. God bless.

Gwen
Gwen
Reply to  BionicWoman

Not true! I’m 4c (according to the hair-typing nonsense) and I have well over 75% shrinkage. I’m able to wear my hair like this…with much hang! Your hair can be a “4C” and very well rock this style …if done correctly! 🙂

Chandra

Good info. Lucky me I came across your website by chance (stumbleupon).
I’ve book-marked it for later!

Teena
Teena

How do you dry your hair? I tried it and my hair was soaking wet hours later.

Marlena
Marlena

My hair in the front never coils like the back. Maybe this technique will help my front look as defined as the “kitchen”

Chris
Chris

I, too, have 4C hair, and I follow this regimen. It works on healthy hair that’s moisturized from within. 4C ladies, drink plenty of water, deep condition regularly, and stay away from ‑cones. Also, adding tons of oil to your hair does NOT moisturize it as our grandmothers and mothers would advise, no more than slathering Vaseline on dry, cracked heels would heal your skin.

Once I accepted these truths, my 4C coils popped.

Tonya
Tonya

Any suggestions on how to do this technique on low porosity hair? I’ve tried this and because my hair was soaking wet, the product didn’t absorb into my hair.

Alshawnda
Alshawnda

Thanks Leila for black Moms Connect. I thoroughly enjoy the conversations and great advice shared amongst this great group of women!

mariyah davis
5 months ago

OMG this worked so well?