Easy Protective Style: The Flat Twist Pin Up

Avatar • Jan 2, 2013

flat twist pin up

It’s winter time and a perfect opportunity to try protective styling as a means to retain moisture and protect hair from harsh wind and cold. Vlogger MsVaughn presents us with a simple flat twist protective style. Check it out:

What are your thoughts ladies? Would you rock this style?

Lucumi Lady
Lucumi Lady

LOVE this style. Gonna try it today.

eve-audrey
eve-audrey

i absolutely love it! it’s cute and simple it’s perfect for me as i still have no skills to style my hair

n1kki
n1kki

i just experimented with flat twisting today. definitely gonna try it out during the season.

Gayle Allen
Gayle Allen

I like it! I think I can do it on my hair, but it would have to be stretched really well. Even when I do a twist out my hair as opposed to a wash and go would be too tangly just spritz a little water and brush. My ends clumps into coils which I leave alone; it would have to be spritz and detangled to smooth it out; maybe too much manipulation for 3C/4A coily/crochet/frizzy hair. It might work better for my hair to do it from fresh washed and moisturized hair, or from a fresh twist out??? I’ve… Read more »

lovememore
lovememore

HOT, HOT, and more HOT!!!

Wanett

OH! I love this!! My hair is a little on the thick side to handle only two flat twists.…but with freshly washed and unbraided after it dries hair, I might have a chance.

Richelle
Richelle

Can’t wait to try this look! So hot!

elleroc
elleroc

I think I can create this look on my hair. It looks so easy! Does anyone think it will work for 4b hair?

Yayer
Yayer
Reply to  elleroc

I think it depends on density, shrinkage factor, whether you have tiny coils or coil-less hair and above all, your styling skill level. I’m 4c/b but my hair rebels against styling and I’m not very good at it anyway. I know I couldn’t achieve this as my hair is dense and tends to shrink when left loose. I’d leave it to 4as and those with low density but those who are 4b/c and skilled will probably be able to do it even with very dense hair. You could tuck and roll but its a different effect.

LBell
LBell
Reply to  elleroc

I’m mostly-4b and I do styles like this all the time. In fact these kinds of tuck-and-roll styles work very well for type 4’s assuming you have the length for them. If you have a lot of shrinkage simply stretch the hair first using braids, twists, or banding. It doesn’t have to be straight; in fact it won’t look at good on straighter hair (IMO).

Beya
Beya

Love it!!! I’m going to try the roll and tuck method since i’m not a great flat twister. I also think it would be great to throw in some extra marley hair to give it some volume!

Alisha
Alisha

I love this! I usually rock a tuck and roll as a protective style, but I’ll try adding the bang.

Rachel Natalie

This style is really nice, I need to try flat twisting.

Mady

After watching this video, I tried this look and i love it !
This is romantic and chic style 🙂

Dana
Dana

Poppin’! I do a version of this already and needed some fresh inspiration. Thanks for the vid!

Crist
Crist

her hair responds SO WELL to those products !

anastasia
anastasia

Yup-will certainly give this one a whirl!

Mistee
Mistee

I just tried this style and it came out so cute! I’m not a great styler, so if I can do this anyone can. I was just at the end of my rope with my natural hair and then I found this video. Thank you so much:)

myblackfriendsays

I think it’s cute. my hair is not long enough to try it yet, though.

MommieDearest
MommieDearest

I am going to try this style after I wash my hair tomorrow. Can’t wait!

Tiff Dizzle
Tiff Dizzle

I think this is so cute… but my hair is not that long yet… maybe ill try adding my left over Marley hair

Michelle@Radiant Brown Beauty

Absolutely! This is really cute. Already rocked it.…kinda 🙂

Shanese
Shanese

I’m am going to try this on my senegalese twists today! In Love!

CocoaNo5
CocoaNo5

I love the style, but can we do away with the term “protective style”? What does that even mean anyway?

Jas
Jas
Reply to  CocoaNo5

I’m not sure why instead of answering you everyone just gave you a thumbs down.

But this is what protective styling is generally known as:

Protective Styles – styles that require low manipulation of the hair. Done to protect the hair or give it a break from daily styling and/or wear and tear. Can include weaves, braids, wigs, twists or even wearing a hat!

CocoaNo5
CocoaNo5
Reply to  Jas

Thanks for replying. No one refers to a ponytail or a braid as a “protective style”, it’s just a ponytail, etc. The term just seems weird to me.

Trinidadian_1
Trinidadian_1
Reply to  CocoaNo5

Most people don’t call a ponytail or braid “Protective styling” because most don’t know of the term nor what it means. For African American natural hair to grow and keep it’s length, protective styling is a great way to keep the ends from breaking off. Most feel their hair can’t grow or won’t grow, but it is always growing it’s just a matter of holding on to the ends. I hope a lot of people try to tuck those ends away 🙂 good luck everyone.

Roots
Roots
Reply to  Jas

There is no such thing as protective hair style. What you call protective hair style is what black women have been doing to their hair for years. That is combing their hair. Wash, crease then plait, twist, conrow, cockscrew, bun…if you go to the Caribbean, Africa and south American you see a bunch of folks still doing the same thing to their hair…to them that is basic hair care management..
so sick of this protective hair BS…black hair is not that difficult to care…wash…crease…plait.

Thick Nigerian Hair
Thick Nigerian Hair
Reply to  CocoaNo5

Just a question. Why would you request to stop using a term if you don’t even know what it means?

Liz G
Liz G

This is a great style! I have already worn it to work and to social gatherings and people love it.

Thanks for the inspiration. God know I needed it for these cold months!

PMS
PMS

Wore this style to my grandfather’s funeral. I received lots of compliments. Thanks BGLH and MsVaughn!

DW
DW

I wasn’t thinking I could get into this at first because, as usual, the person has hair that is less thick and more straight than my own. But I actually do think I can make this work.

The real question is: Tell us some more about how you beat that face honey! She pulled that makeup right TOGETHER! Yas!

Juju
Juju

How long can you wear this style?

Evonda
Evonda

Can u give list of all the products u used. I loved this style and want to give it try. I decided to cut out the perms and dye and looking for some up to date styles. How long can u wear this style.

Lashawn
Lashawn

I’m so loving this hair style..i didn’t try it yet but i will be doing it soon
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/0309132331.jpg[/img]

Briana
Briana

I wear this style pretty much everyday. It’s soo quick easy and polished!

His1Motivation
His1Motivation

Beautiful style.…what is your youtube name? I sure hope you have a makeup vid, that face is BEAT!

Sonshine

yay just what i was looking for! whoop whoop!

Valerie
Valerie

EXACTLY what I was looking for. I attempted to do a version of this and it didn’t…quite…work, but now that I’ve seen this tutorial it is very clear what I was doing wrong. Can’t wait to try it this way!

Tori
Tori

Love this style!.…will give it a try as my next hair style. Question??…what’s the name of the color lipstick and brand your wearing in the video? It’s very nice.

Shelley
Shelley

I love this style, but I’m a little nervous that it may be to big in the front.… if there is such a thing as hair that’s too big 🙂 I’m definitely going to try it! And the makeup is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!