6 Ways to Keep Your Hair in Great Condition When Life Gets Busy

Avatar • Jan 14, 2013

FrontPuff2
Style Icon Jennifer

By Chinwe of Hair and Health

Have you ever been just too busy to do your wash routine? too busy to deep condition? too busy to style your hair?

Many of us have been just too busy at one time or another. Whether school has gotten us bogged down in homework OR our career has consumed our schedule, life has gotten hectic to the point where our hair might have begun to suffer. Factor in stress and sleep deficiency and … “Whoa”!

So what can you do prevent your hair from suffering during your tight schedule? Here are a few tricks and tips that I use:

1. Protective style to save time

This tip is my number one time saver when life just gets too busy. Styles such as twists, braids, or wigs over cornrows allow for me to go weeks without fiddling with my hair, a task for which I don’t have time. I can direct my focus to work or school while my strands stay protected and knot-free.

2. Do a dry shampoo or co-wash instead of a full-on wash

It is good hygiene to wash regularly, but postponing the task a few days isn’t going to destroy my hair. If I don’t have time for the entire wash day routine (i.e., pre-poo, wash, condition, re-twist my edges OR detangle), then I just co-wash or use a “dry” shampoo method (such as witch hazel and a towel to cleanse the scalp). Whichever route I take, I simply postpone my complete wash routine for when I do have time … rather than doing it hurried and half-hearted.

3. Sleep with a silk pillowcase

Sometimes, after a long and tiring day the last thing I want or even remember to do is to put on a silk scarf or bonnet. For that reason, I sometimes get into the habit of using a silk pillowcase; that way all I need to do when I get home is hit the bed.

4. Moisturizing is a must

No matter how busy I am, I make the time to moisturize my hair. This step takes less than 5 minutes, so there is really no excuse to avoid it. Without adequate moisture, my hair will definitely suffer.

5. Postpone detangling but not for too long

If I know I am not going to have time to detangle, then I don’t bother touching my hair; I don’t tangle it any further. Ideally, my hair is already in a set of twists or braids, so I just leave it in that set until I am ready to detangle. What if my hair is loose? Well, if it’s time to detangle then I force myself to make the time to do so soon. Until then though, manipulating my tangled hair is bound to cause knots and more tangles, so I just don’t touch it. (It may be otherwise in your case, so definitely learn your “own” hair.)

6. Eat well regardless of time

If I am too busy to get sufficient sleep or if my stress level is up, then I try to have my diet in check at the very least. In my opinion, sleep deprivation + stress + eating healthy is less detrimental than sleep deprivation + stress + eating crap. Certain nutrients that help us deal better with stress are just not found in junk foods or fast foods. Thus, on busy days, I attempt to choose the deli sandwich over the greasy burger. Aside from that, I try to work on getting more sleep and decreasing my stress, since lack of sleep and stress are conducive to hair loss.

Overall, time management is a factor of arranging your priority list well and efficiently. Is it more important that you watch the “Real Housewives of Atlanta” tonight or that you catch up on some necessary sleep? How about responding to emails while your hair is sitting in deep conditioner? Your healthy hair does not have to suffer.

Do you have any efficient hair care tips you want to share?

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

Tai Nycole

Great tips. Protective styling is my go-to time saving tip. If my hair is completely not presentable, a cute hat or other accessory can give my look life.

Caramel
Caramel

Moisture. Spray your hair and go to sleep with a plastic cap with your satin bonnet/scarf over.Bingo

Alexis
Alexis

My go-to thing to do is headwraps! Keeps your hair protected and keeps it from losing moisture. Both are musts for my transitioning 4a/b/c hair. It’s especially helpful when I wake up late and don’t have time for styling my hair before school.

Si
Si

This is great advice. Protective styling is a must for a busy natural!

Natalie
Natalie

How ironic, I just could not be bothered with washing my hair this weekend, I did a liver cleanse on Friday and was feeling very tired then I went out to a party and didn’t get home until 0500 Sunday morning. So what did I do? In the shower I let the water steam my hair then used some flaxseed gel along my edges to soften up my hair and carefully comb all the bits in then I did a nice doughnut style and did two plaits in the front using more flaxseed gel. Just before leaving for work I… Read more »

Terri K

Thanks for these tips!

I am actually in week four of the box braids protective style. I recently shaved my sides down so I am working on keeping my scalp clean at least once a week because in these braids my hair tends to get rather dirty!

I am definitely working on Tip #6 — It is a struggle to eat healthy sometimes to eat at all for me, but I am definitely making an effort for those times when I do eat to make sure it is a well balanced meal.

lacquerholic

This Article could not have come at a better time. I just went through a family emergency and the last few weeks, I’ve been lucky if I get a co wash in let alone a full day of pre pooing, deep conditioning and protective styling. It’s all I can do to keep my hair moisturized!

trackback

[…] Continue Reading at BlackGirlLongHair. […]

Samantha
Samantha

My go-to style are two-strand twists. It used to be a puff until I recently got my hair cut into a style. Now I bantu knot/twist my hair every night, throw a bonnet on it and unravel in the morning. It only takes me an hour to bantu up and that’s little bantu knots. Maybe 20 mins to take it down. If I did larger bantu knots then probably less time than that. Depending on which product I used, I can probably leave my hair curly in a bonnet and wear it for a few days. When my hair was… Read more »

Xandria20
Xandria20

These are great tips. I really wish I’d ran across the article prior to my son being born. As it stands my son turned 7 months old and I’ve washed my hair 3 times since his birth.That was not a typo. This is beyond anything I’ve ever experienced since I’ve never been a braid wearer or long term styler. I used to wash my hair ever 5–7 days. My entire life I don’t think I’ve ever gone more than 2 weeks. I still have not figured out how to do it all. Currently I’m trying to do better about moisturizing my… Read more »

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  Xandria20

it may be hard, but you need to ignore your guilt at certain points of the day to take care of yourself. No person can be two places at once, nor can they focus solely on one thing. You have to make a schedule and divide your time well. Maybe you can make sure your husband is looking after your child at the time?

T
T

How do you moisturise when your hair is in a bun? I wear buns all the time and I don’t how often or even how to moisturise .