Jada Pinkett Smith: “Willow’s Beauty Isn’t Measured By The Length of Her Hair.”

Avatar • Nov 21, 2012

Jada Pinkett has spoken openly about her parenting style, which includes allowing her children to express themselves in how they dress and style their hair. While son Jaden recently cut his hair and rocks a simple short cut, daughter Willow is constantly experimenting with color and texture. And of course, people have a lot to say about it, with Willow’s styles often popping up on gossip blogs. Apparently Jada is fed up with the commentary, and took to Facebook to set people straight. Click below to read the note and see some of Willow’s styles.

A letter to a friend…

This subject is old but I have never answered it in its entirety. And even with this post it will remain incomplete.

The question why I would LET Willow cut her hair. First the LET must be challenged. This is a world where women,girls are constantly reminded that they don’t belong to themselves; that their bodies are not their own, nor their power or self determination. I made a promise to endow my little girl with the power to always know that her body, spirit and her mind are HER domain. Willow cut her hair because her beauty, her value, her worth is not measured by the length of her hair. It’s also a statement that claims that even little girls have the RIGHT to own themselves and should not be a slave to even their mother’s deepest insecurities, hopes and desires. Even little girls should not be a slave to the preconceived ideas of what a culture believes a little girl should be.

More to come. Another day.

J

Ladies, what are your thoughts?

All photos courtesy of Zimbio.com

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH

Can’t wait for the comments on this one

Nikki
Nikki
Reply to  TINA SMITH

I know right! The minute I saw the post I had to run an get some snacks…::munch munch munch::. Waiting for the shinanigans…

Lexi
Reply to  Nikki

HAHAHA! Laughing out loud at your comment!

Jacky
Jacky
Reply to  Nikki

so laughing out loud right now

Jojo
Jojo
Reply to  Nikki

hahahahahahahahaha!! I just saw this comment.….dang I knew I wasn’t the only one that gets a kick out of reading these comments.

Froregade
Froregade

Why people are so offended or obsessed with the length of her hair is absolutely beyond me. If I could sport a shaved head, I would do it. Unfortunately for my face/head shape, it just wouldn’t look that good. The girl looks fantastic and is clearly going to be down right beautiful when she gets older, and I can only hope that she keeps her hair that long because we really need more women who are willing to step outside of the boundaries of what our society thinks is beautiful to allow those who do not conform or fit into… Read more »

Kiki
Kiki
Reply to  Froregade

I thought the same thing about shaving my head and starting over. I like my shorty hair. The first thing I see is my face, not hair. I feel free. lol I love to just wash moisturize and go. Young children I know who saw me could not believe I cut my hair. I echoed the phrase by India Arie, “I am not my hair.” Any gal should be able to rock any stylr she chooses and feel good about herself.

Jamz
Jamz
Reply to  Kiki

I feel u on this Kiki. Right now I’d like to big chop. My hair is BSL now, very thick, n I miss short hair! Most people I tell say “Why do u wanna cut all that long pretty hair?!” They just don’t know…I absolutely think Jada is right, beauty comes from within.…her hair will grow back, n most times i think she looks adorable!

Lynn
Lynn

I’m pretty sure the length of her hair is the LEAST of peoples worries or criticism of Willow. Will and Jada clearly have exposed her to the limelight WAY to early and haven’t allowed her to be a child and feel some NORMALCY. Mark my words this child is gonna have issues as she gets older just like 97% of the child stars that come up.

lulu
lulu
Reply to  Lynn

There are tons of child actors that grew up to be well-adjusted adults. People like to think of kids like Lindsey Lohan before they remember Hilary Duff who is married with a kid and living her life well. I think a bigger influence is family issues and parental control amongst other things. I think the girl will be fine. From hearing her speak, I really think she has a good head on her shoulders. I wish her the best…there’s no point in waiting for the worst when she doesn’t come from a messed up family or seems to be a… Read more »

Kai
Kai
Reply to  lulu

@ Lynn As if real children don’t have issues huh? Children who grow up without media and public scrutiny have issues too. The most important thing is that these parents have a real relationship with their children. People are quick to criticize other people’s children when they don’t even know what their own children are doing.

lulu
lulu
Reply to  lulu

i meant child actors and musicians…

Reply to  Lynn

totally agree!!

Reply to  Lynn

Because children outside of the limelight are so “normal.”
Your argument is invalid.

Reply to  SeriouslyNow

No, there is no such thing as ‘normal’, children in the limelight are exposed to more pressures and live different lives to regular kids, for one thing, most of them are home-schooled. Too much exposure can be difficult to handle for anyone…

rach
rach
Reply to  Lynn

yep,totally agree.the rabbit hole goes deeper, as a natural who cut my hair off many times over my life i love short hair as much as long, however it concerns me that many of these “celebrity” kids are being programmed, behind the scenes in “hollyweird” and shaving of the head is part of the whole monarch/mkultra satanic thing.I know most of you won’t believe that, but whatever. I’m sorry to say i won’t be surprised in 5 years if this girl starts “freaking out” and acting “insane” js…

Venus
Venus

I’ve been saying this all along. As long as this little girl is well behaved, and is doing well in school why shouldn’t she be able to wear her hair how she wants?? It doesn’t hurt herself or anyone else. And it’s funny people are against her cutting or dying her hair but will slap a perm on a four year olds hair in a heartbeat. We are so backwards. I think she looks lovely btw

Kay
Kay
Reply to  Venus

Ain’t that the truth?! I couldn’t agree with you more.

karin
Reply to  Venus

I love this comment. Totally agree.

Shawn
Shawn
Reply to  Venus

Reply to  Venus

Yaaaaaaaz!
*cues praise music*

Treece
Treece
Reply to  Venus

Agreed! And other people need to stop giving unsolicited advice on said, well- behaved child. Many kids gave bigger issues than the way they are dressed

Jasmine
Jasmine
Reply to  Treece

*In my Eddie Murphy Voice as I stomp my feet twice* Yesss!!!!! *Drops mic and walks off* That girl is right *cheesin*

Michelle@Radiant Brown Beauty

I honestly don’t care if her hair is short or long. Even color is OK. I think (and this may not necessarily be her case), when kids begin to “experiment” with certain looks, there could be other things going on.

As for Willow, she’s a beautiful girl. I just find here to be a little Tom Boyish, which she may or may not grow out of.

Kech
Kech

Is there anything wrong with being ‘tom boyish’? Not every little girl has to be’sugar and spice and all things nice’. I think that is the point her mother is trying to make — (Even little girls should not be a slave to the preconceived ideas of what a culture believes a little girl should be)

SeriouslyNow

Why would she grow out if it? Why should she be “conscious” of being “Tom Boyish”? You missed the point of Jada’s words all together. She has given her child the FREEDOM to be who she wants to be without any regard to how others may or may not perceive her. And a part of that is NOT worrying about gender roles or what may or may not be deemed “boyish”.

when kids begin to “experiment” with certain looks, there could be other things going on.” WTH?? Please read this ENTIRE post again because the point was missed.

chris chris
chris chris

as India Arie said “I am not my hair”

Jacqueline Lewis
Jacqueline Lewis

I’m a pretty conservative person and mother, and I think it’s fine if she cuts and colors her hair. Children need some sort of freedom of themselves, she doesn’t have a tatoo, she isn’t talking about the many boyfriends she has, she’s doing her music, hopefully her parents are reminding her of who God is, and she’s being a kid. It’s so many influences in this world, and specifically in her world, give her a little break. There’ so many other things that aren’t healthy she could be involved in.

rkahendi

I’m inclined to agree with you. But I also think that Jada, Willow, and other people in the public eye are better off tuning out all the stuff about them on the internet, in the tabloids, etc.

The truth of the matter is that there will always be people who say vicious/ ignorant things. And the internet only magnifies those voices. It seems a bad idea to legitimize those voices by acknowledging what they say and responding to them.

Zee
Zee

Stop the press! Young person experiments with cut, style and colour.

Mika

If you can’t rock a pink Mohawk or purple fro as a kid, when can you? I say let her experiment and be bold and young. When she’s older there will be far too many people telling her to “grow up”. Let a kid be a kid!

Res
Res

What’s so wrong with allowing her to cut her hair? I’ve never followed up or had any strong opinion on the Smiths’ parenting. Mark you, I do think that too much freedom for a young child is not healthy, but then again, I don’t know how they discipline her or what rules they do have so I’m not in a good position to pass a good judgement. Peace out…

lulu
lulu

All I got to say is that first picture has actually opened my eyes to how beautiful Willow is. She’s going to be a stunning woman…and she seems to be very smart and self-aware at her age.

Good luck to her and I hope if her parents start to notice that she’s overwhelmed by the industry and becoming a hot mess, they allow her to take a step back and take a break.

Fifi
Fifi

I cannot agree more with Jada, why is Willow being judged for cutting her hair at all??? Are people so ready to believe her worth is her hair. I respect Willow (and her brother) for their decision.

Tia
Tia

we’re still talking about this?…

Treece
Treece
Reply to  Tia

Ha ha, ah weak!

Jack
Jack

DIt may not be for me (I like long hair), but I’m not going to bash her, her parenting style, or her daughter for. I don’t see it as a problem. It sounds like something very positive and will help Willow to become a strong, confident woman. I wish my parents had encouraged me that way. I wouldn’t be so late at and struggle with becoming the kind of woman I want and need to be. It should start early. We can just send our kids out into the world with to backing (confidence, self love, empowerment, strong will etc…)… Read more »

Kay
Kay

I am more concerned about what those nasty paparazzi are saying to this child as they snap her pictures. Looking at her facial expression and body language in the last pic, one has to wonder. She looks unhappy and hugs herself as if she is feeling vulnerable. Poor baby. I personally have a different parenting style but I don’t knock Will and Jada for theirs. They have their own lives to lead.

Landry
Landry

I absolutely do not have a problem with short hair. However, there is something to be said about sloppy, unkempt, and strange looking hair, especially on a child. As a parent, I think you have the responsibility to guide your child and not let them walk around looking crazy. Yes, give your child freedom, but also give them guidance.

Willow is a beautiful little girl, but it’s unfortunate that her parents let her walk around looking like a hot mess most of the time.

Stace
Stace
Reply to  Landry

What about her looks sloppy or unkempt? Perception is a hell of a thing.

Venus
Venus
Reply to  Stace

Exactly! When it’s short.. Is neatly done…and when there’s a little length it’s still looks healthy and moisturized. Where is she looking a ‘hot mess’?

Shannon
Shannon
Reply to  Landry

Your statement about “sloppy and unkempt”…so many people still have that view about us rocking our natural hair. I’m with Jada. Allow that child to express herself. She isn’t hurting anyone.

herlucidsky
Reply to  Landry

Sloppy, unkempt and strange, those may be your thoughts but to others it’s just something awesome, unique, edgy etc etc. I’m sure there are things that you do that you think is the business but to others it may be quite the opposite. Would you care if someone shared those same thoughts you mentioned above about you or your loved ones? I sure hope not because I’m sure this family couldn’t care less what you or anyone else thinks. But even though it is an opinion, does that make it right to go about saying such things just because it… Read more »

Reply to  Landry

You missed the point of the post entirely. Please, go back, re-read this post, and try again.
K THX.

Landry
Landry
Reply to  SeriouslyNow

I am standing by my comment. In my opinion, Willow does look sloppy and unkempt due to her hair styles and clothes. If I saw her walking on the street looking like she does most of the time, I would wonder if she were homeless. She needs more guidance than her parents appear to be providing.

Jor-El (MANE MAN)

JPS’ statement is awesome and spot on. We have no reason to believe that Willow is not well adjusted despite all the foolishness you read on gossip sites.

Honeyy
Honeyy

I really don’t see what’s the problem. Is there a reason why she shouldn’t try different styles with her hair? I think she’s beautiful and brave,Jada is a wonderful mother raising her child by her own standards.I’d like to see more black pre-teen girl embracing the natural texture of their hair with cuts and colors. Instead of pretending to have long shoulder length bone straight hair.

Kenneth
Kenneth

she’s rich.. fuck it

JenniD
JenniD

Zzzzzz. I’ll be happy when people stop trying to make celebrities exempt from the human race. Who cares what she or any other celebrity does with their hair, child rearing etc. They are people just like us. We should stop trying to identify with them like “oh they’re such a good mom or she’s a good person” because the reality we know jack squat of how much of what we here is true. I could care less about how Jada is raising her kids.Nothing they do is that fascinating. I’ve over heard better gossip in Walmart lol. I prefer the… Read more »

Sandra Bright
Sandra Bright

she is a child and i do not think she should be doing all a that thing she doing. her dressing and everything, her parents are just careless and slack and that girl needs Jesus. may the lord help them all.…

Kay
Kay
Reply to  Sandra Bright

-______-

Stace
Stace
Reply to  Kay

She needs Jesus because she cut her hair? Or because she colored it with what looks like a wash out color dye? Or because in every picture she’s always fully clothed? Or because she makes music in without foul or coarse language in it ? which one?

Venus
Venus
Reply to  Stace

+1,000

Reply to  Stace

@stace, she has produced music with Nicki Minaj and is being mentored by Jay‑z…

AC
AC
Reply to  Lon

AND? What does that have to do with her needing Jesus? lol.….That child could be very spiritual, we don’t know her like that.

Iron Clam
Iron Clam
Reply to  Kay

-_______- times infinity.

Reply to  Sandra Bright

Your ignorance is remarkable o.O

Kai
Kai

@ Sandra Bright, what is this girl doing that is so bad or against the bible? Slack? Needs Jesus? That is just extreme! I’m sorry did she committ a crime?? I think you might need Jesus.

Linda
Linda

Willow is a beautiful and talented girl and she is old enough to know what hairstyle she wants to rock,when and how. As long as she is not involved in drugs,alcohol or other unhealthy activities,attends school and educate herself she can sport her hair how she wants. We tend to forget that both her parents have been in the entertainment business long enough to know how much freedom they should allow their kids to have. Who are we to judge?This is a well balanced young girl coming from a family of talented artists trying to find her own path and… Read more »

Suzie
Suzie
Reply to  Linda

Thank you! A lot of them talking bad about the little girl and some of their kids doing worse but they don’t see that.

T.
T.

I liked what Will had to say about it too: “We let Willow cut her hair. When you have a little girl, it’s like how can you teach her that you’re in control of her body? If I teach her that I’m in charge of whether or not she can touch her hair, she’s going to replace me with some other man when she goes out in the world. She can’t cut my hair but that’s her hair. She has got to have command of her body. So when she goes out into the world, she’s going out with a command… Read more »

Reply to  T.

I too have respect for them. As someone who was given almost ZERO freedom growing up (to choose my clothes, religion, subject options at school, music, hair, places I went to, extra-curricular activities, friends to some extent, etc.) I know how messed up that can make you reach your late teens when you suddenly realise that your life is your own, your [well-meaning, but non-perfect] parents will not always be there and you will always have decisions to make yet you have no idea what you like because you were never allowed to try. I am cursed by indecisiveness now… Read more »

Lillian Mae

Will spit her out!

Stace
Stace

Someone should say something to the parents who let their daughters walk around with dirty braids that haven’t been cleaned in over a month, cheap stiff weave/extensions, and not to forget brittle damaged dry hair that can barely make it into a ponytail.
Yet people are upset because Willow’s hair is cut neatly, colored without being dry and damaged, and healthy. I’m confused, actually no those people are confused. I guess when you are used to trash as your norm then beauty offends your eyes.

binks
binks

Willow is a beautiful girl that seems to be wise beyond her years and have not only beauty but spirit and confidence (that rivals most grown women) so hopefully her star and talent gets bigger and brighter as she grows and matures more, she is going to be one to watch in the future. But I get what Jada is saying at the end of the day Will and Jada can raise their kids however they deem fit, it doesn’t have to fall into accordance on how you would raise yours. There is no right/wrong way of raising a child,… Read more »

Anita
Anita

Okay… I’m going to say what no one else will say. My first thought when I saw the pictures is that she looks like a little lesbian. And for the record, this is not a criticism, just an “honest” reaction. I am 54, so maybe my age has something to do with my reaction. If I were younger, perhaps my reaction and opinion would be different. This is America. Willow and her family have the right to make decisions about their lives/hair and it doesn’t matter what the rest of us think. However, as celebrities, I’m sure they are aware… Read more »

Alyssa
Alyssa
Reply to  Anita

I’ve always wondered this, but how exactly can a person look like they’re attracted to the same sex? I don’t mean to attack you or anything, but this is something I’ve heard before and it just confuses me.

Anyways, I like Jada’s message and I think it’s cool that Willow feels comfortable enough to experiment with her hair in the way that she does. Willow sure can rock short hair and in almost any color. 😀

Anita
Anita
Reply to  Alyssa

My thought is based on stereotypes. For instance; there is a guy who works at the mall who walks like a girl, talks like a girl, and has a non-conventional haircut. I’d bet money that he’s gay. Same for women: “sometimes” a very close haircut, combined with several ear piercings, no make-up, etc. is the way that a lot of lesbians look. There are many pictured on websites. Willow is still young. Who knows what gender she feels most like and what gender she will be attracted to when she is older. My comment was not an insult to this little… Read more »

Alyssa
Alyssa
Reply to  Anita

Thanks for responding. And no worries, I didn’t get the impression of homophobia in your comment. I’ve known people who have been thought of as gay when they weren’t and I was always confused when people said they just had the “look”. Before when I’ve asked others what they meant by someone appearing gay, they’ve never gave an explanation like you did. After reading what you wrote, I have a better understanding of their perspective. I can’t say I don’t have thoughts based on stereotypes either. I just recently met a female mechanic who I would of never would be… Read more »

Anita
Anita
Reply to  Alyssa

I have enjoyed our conversation, Alyssa. I appreciate the way you started it with a respectful/intelligent question and point of view which has allowed us to talk and learn from each other.

I just happened to stumble upon this blog and will probably return because I support black women wearing their hair natural. Maybe we’ll meet up again in a future post. XD

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anon
Anon
Reply to  Anita

Yes Alyssa, she’ll follow but you betta not be no lesbun!

Anita
Anita
Reply to  Anon

Grow up. 🙂

Reply to  Anita

But your mother KNOWS your goddaughter, so probably based her prediction on things more tangible than her ‘look’.
Also, you comment about what gender she feels most like, I’m not lesbian, but I’m pretty sure feeling like a different gender =/= homosexual. That’s a transsexual or is gender dysphoria.

But my mum was around your age and I think she would have gotten the terms mixed up and made the same stereotypes as you, so I can’t blame you really.

Reply to  Anita

face palm times 10 o.O

Reply to  Anita

I think your honest reaction is deeply rooted in stereotypes and imposed gender roles. It is your age and it doesn’t make it any more okay.

Reply to  SeriouslyNow

i guess she would unederstand someone who just talks about blacks with a lot of stereoptypes too lol

rach
rach
Reply to  Anita

you right though sorry people its true.

Truro
Truro
Reply to  rach

And? What if it were true? How is this yours or Anita’s business because I’m sure people like you would be the first to go off if someone were judging you. The thing about Willow is, she is young and could care less what people think of her hair choices, she’s just living her life while people like you walk around judging and fearing the judgement of equally small minded people. The comments on this one are A.MESS!

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  Anita

I don’t get it, if you’re not saying her being gay is a bad thing, why mention it the way you did and make it sound like an issue?

Reply to  Anita

Maybe she *is* a lesbian. So what happens next?
I guess that would fulfil *some* people’s prediction that her upbringing is going to ‘mess her up’… (¬_¬)

Lon

Personally i believe there is nothing wrong with Willow choosing to wear her hair short. What i do have a problem with is her mothers’ attitude towards her daughter! First off i do not agree with her being a music icon at such a young age (12 years!), considering how grown women can’t handle a bit of fame, giving a 12 year old all that fame never works out well. Secondly, her mothers ‘care-free’ attitude is just very irresponsible! In my opinion Willow is still of a young age, in need of good nurturing. Yes as children get older you… Read more »

Andrea
Andrea
Reply to  Lon

I don’t think that Jada is being irresponsible in raising her child. I think she is acting out of reality. How many kids do we know who go away to school and go buck wild because their parents never gave them ANY semblance of freedom as they grew older? I say that it’s better to educate our children about the decisions they will have to make later on and let them explore it.

Reply to  Andrea

Like i mentioned before, giving your child “some” responsibilities is fine, but come on who really *finds themselves* at 12?
There’s a difference between letting your child cut their hair & wearing it however she wants & letting your child get into the music business and be exposed to all the negative implications associated with it. Most R&B music is identified with sex, and materialistic pleasures, personally not something anyone in their right mind would want their child to be involved in…

JustLeavingaComment
JustLeavingaComment
Reply to  Lon

Somebody finally spoke the truth here, so all is lost! Poor Willow, her mother is not in her right mind and is basically leaving the kid to raise herself because of some BS seminar, guru, or book Jada ate-up. Nothing but exploitation and confusion with those kids. This child is living too hard too fast. She is bogged down and the heaviness is written all over her face. If you grow-up and go off the edge then that’s one thing. However, she has been give no direction or structure what so ever at all. Poor thing doesn’t even know that… Read more »

JustLeavingaComment
JustLeavingaComment

*all is NOT lost

😛

Agreed!!

Jaz
Jaz

..“Poor thing doesn’t even know that females are supposed to be feminine…2‑gender confused, jaded and totally lost children.” This is disheartening to read. Seriously folks Jada is raising her children by her standards the best way she knows how. Willow is 12 years old. Jada is allowing her to achieve her dreams and goals. I’m sure when Willow grows up she is going to be completely happy about her childhood! Let the girl breathe. Reading your comment truly upsets me because it shows true self hate. There is nothing worse than watching a woman bring herself down and attempt to… Read more »

rach
rach
Reply to  Lon

BAM! hit the nail on the head.nuff said.

Felicia
Felicia

People should just let the girl be. She’s beautiful and unique and I love the fact that her hair is short. My little daughter is very insecure being a black girl with an afro in a school where the majority are white kids. So it’s nice to see a young girl wearing her hair short. I love the statement that her beauty is not measured by the length of her hair!

yani myles
yani myles

I dnt think that ppl should be talking abt her hair.… She’s a big girl now she can basically style her hair anyway she wants

Suzie
Suzie

I couldnt be in the lime light cuz i wud tell evryone to take their noses out of my business.….….….leave the little girl alone. she is far more intelligent, head-strong, beautiful, articulate, talented than a lot of kids her age wih long hair. hair doesnt define beauty in its entirety, plenty people with long hair have no good character so shut the ehll up and mind your own businesses and YOUR OWN kids business. pay attention to that, Will and Jada are her parents-let them raise their kid.

msb616
msb616

i love this girl and at 31, i wish i had half her boldness. i was the tom boy growing up: hated make up, followed aaliyah’s path and wore the baggy farmer jeans and sneakers. My mom, like im sure many other moms, wanted to protect me from being picked on or being labeled a lesbian so all that was squashed by the time i was a teenager. Now, though, i’ve found a way to incorporate my tom-boyishness into my style while still coming off feminine…and im still straight! lol Willow is a special girl (like all girls are) and… Read more »

Reply to  msb616

Amen and amen!

herlucidsky

Well said Jada!! Well said!!

Trini
Trini

My three cents: I’m not fond of the styles. I recognize though, that Willow’s parents are guiding her and responsible for her until she assumes full adulthood. I prefer the Obama girls’ styles.

Reply to  Trini

So you like cookie-cutter, hot combed, 1950’s styles and this is too much for you. I get it.
But Willow’s parents are guiding her to be herself. Sasha and Malia are the president’s daughters and must maintain a “safe” and conservative image, which puts a crazy amount of pressure on them. They cannot be themselves, and I feel sorry for them. Think about THAT. MASSIVE difference there.

Reply to  SeriouslyNow

+1 that comparison with the obama daughters

Trini
Trini
Reply to  SeriouslyNow

I have seen photos of them in braids and what appeared to be twist- outs several times. I don’t know how conservative a style those are.

Taylor J,
Taylor J,

At least she’s not thinking about drugs, sketchy parties, and sketchy boys.

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Taylor J,

THANK YOU. Am I the only one (besides Anita upthread) old enough to remember what Drew Barrymore was doing when she was Willow’s age? Happily she grew out of it but if it had happened today instead of 30 years ago she would have been the poster child for CPS…

If Willow’s “unconventional” style is the worst thing people can say about her, then she’s way ahead of the game IMO. Kudos to her parents and especially her mom.

Tia
Tia
Reply to  Taylor J,

I used to say the same thing, until I saw the pic of her on what seemed to be like a striper pole. Now I don’t know what to think…

Lola
Lola

I am so glad Jada wrote that note. Somehow people keep on focusing on Willow’s hair and clothes. What Jada is talking about is something bigger than that. She is giving her daughter the right to own her own body and beliefs and values. We live in a world where society dictates what is acceptable for young girls and women to do. A lot of times we don’t challenge the oppression in that and only pass it down to our daughters. We have the right to control our own bodies and lives. If that is not one of the most… Read more »

MMM
MMM
Reply to  Lola

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  Lola

+100

Reply to  Lola

^TRUTH!

Miss Elisa K.

Willow doesn’t show any skin or wears anything that makes her look inappropriate. If I had a daughter and she wanted to experiment with clothes and hair, as a fashion girl myself, I wouldn’t mind as long as I monitor her every move. I rather her experiment with hair and clothes than with boys and drugs.

nay@mycurlymane.com

As far as aesthetics go, her hair looks great! I think it’s good that they’re letting her explore her creative side and find herself through fashion and beauty. She doesn’t dress inappropriately. In fact, she’s super cool for such a young girl. I was definitely not that hip at her age. Lol! I can’t speak to the limelight or her growing up in Hollywood.

Brittany
Brittany

She looks unhappy…

Orihime11
Orihime11

She is a beautiful girl. She resembles her father, however she has her mother’s eyes. I can totally see her rippin the runway when she gets older, if that’s what she wants to do.

psontia hadley
psontia hadley
Reply to  Orihime11

Willow is a brave and secure young girl. She is totally comfortable with herself. She has very high self esteem. Willow continue being yourself.

Anita L. Foster
Anita L. Foster

I am 47 years old, and I only wish I had 1 ounce of the confidence in myself that Miss Willow has at her age. She has a strong personality and the support, as well as the guidance from her parents. What is ‘normal’ in my world is not the ‘norm’ in her world. In order to survive in her world, she has to be strong and independent, and I applaud her parents for enabling her personality to shine. I pray much success for her!

Micaela
Micaela

She is such a beautiful young lady and I think she is doing what makes her happy which is great! Love the pink color.

Truro
Truro

Lol at Jesus being called in the comments! This site always shows its crazy.

MMM
MMM
Reply to  Truro

i know right.

CocoaNo5
CocoaNo5

My thing is the Willow doesn’t look her age. Why can’t this kid look their age? It’s one thing to explain to your daughter that they can’t rock a certain look because the celeb is older than they are, but when they are younger than your kid it makes it that much harder. I just want a child to stay in a child’s place and hold on to childhood just a little bit longer. My 2 cents

Jc
Jc

Children do need boundaries, it is what helps them to know that you have to compromise in order to co-exist with other human beings. It is very much the case that Jada and Will have to ALLOW Willow to cut/dye/relax hair. I have no objection to Willow’s hairstyles or length and I would let my future children do the same if they wanted to but only at an appropriate age (mature enough not to cry about it the next day — circa 14–16) and time (conventional colours and cuts during school and unconventional during holidays). I do not know what… Read more »

tsktsk
tsktsk
Reply to  Jc

Amen‑I was so busy trying to get my 2 cents in, I didn’t see yours until after I made mine.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  Jc

how do you know how much emphasis there really is on style and fashion in their home? You don’t. All you know is how you and others feel when you see her extreme hairstyles. Maybe she does something new every 6 months, and isn’t thinking much about hair in the meantime? What she’s doing is harmless, even if I find a lot of the styles ugly, I do respect that she is experimenting and has the confidence and the familial support to do so. Eventually, she’ll figure out what works for her, like we all do.

Reply to  Jc

The places I hear/read about Willow (and I never go looking for info on her btw) are NOT places where people tend talk about what books they are reading. It will usually be a hair blog/site or an abandoned fashion mag or Channel E! or MTV when I’ve lost control of the remote, there’s not so much cooking talk there…

tsktsk
tsktsk

I’d like to register my comment as the parent of a soon-to-be 8 year old girl who likes Willow and would easily emulate her left to her own devices. I can appreciate Jada’s comment and some of the comments here–I’m not here to knock anybody or their parenting style. It’s ironic that a lot of the comments were people commenting about their current choices of hairstyle. Would your mom let you cut and color your hair before a certain age? My daughter is definitely her own person as I was at her age. I deeply appreciate my mother’s balance in… Read more »

Reply to  tsktsk

‘if she has this amount of freedom now, what will be left for her to look forward to in the future?’ Nights out (what you do, where you go), nights in, drinking if you choose to, driving (what you drive, where you go), travel, experiencing new foods, having as many pets as you want, body art, body piercings, what you invest in, who you have relationships with, university/further education)choices, career choices, where you live, your bank accounts, whether you want that operation that the doctor mentioned but your parents don’t want, when to get your legs waxed, your name, who… Read more »

Reply to  Jo Somebody

agreed!

evadiva
evadiva

All of you commenting on Willow’s hair and Jada’s parenting should go and raise your own children.Instead of trying to teach someone else how to raise theirs.

Reply to  evadiva

i like that comment

Jacky
Jacky

I love the fact that her parents allow her to experiment with her choices so that she can embrace her individuality instead of blending in with everyone else.Her parents can guide her through but they don’t have to turn her into A REMOTE CONTROLLED ROBOT so i say You go Jada,love her,guide her,help her and never enslave her.

mitta
mitta

Willow is beautiful!

Anfaani
Anfaani

she’s very cute…just let her be herself and keep her grounded. i think the biggest problem with kids from everywhere is that they learn to be selfish and shallow…especially if they have money. so as long as she grows up to be a good person, whatever her style is will be beautiful. there are much bigger things in life to be concerned about than what somebody’s child does with her hair. i was in a hit & run accident today. just sayin’…all the best to her.

Reply to  Anfaani

Really?! I hope you’re ok! And I hope the driver got caught on camera or s/he crashes into a wall or something…

Trina
Trina

Maybe she’s trying to be like her mom. Jada rocked short hair too!

TWill

Jada Pinket has to be kidding herself. Everyone needs rules and guidance. So this idea about being a free spirt as a CHILD is ridiculous. Free to choose, this week its hair, tomorrow its sexual orientation next week its drug of choice. What I see when I look at Willow Smith is a priveleged young lady who will not have to ever work a 9 — 5 because mom and dad are worth millions. Let’s get real — no one is going to hire a rainbow colored headed, shaved head BLACK teen/woman to do anything. Fair or not we are… Read more »

CB
CB
Reply to  TWill

Firstly she’s a child… This is the time to experiment and learn about yourself, so that when you’re an adult you’ll know who you are and what you want out of life. Secondly, Willow probably won’t need to work a 9–5 job I’m corporate America, as she’s already released an album, proving that she can make her own money. I feel that people judge too quickly what they don’t understand. How many children who grew up in houses with rules ended up joining gangs, getting hooked on drugs, became serial killers? There is no right or wrong way.

Nikki
Nikki
Reply to  CB

If no one will HIRE a rainbow colored hair BLACK woman/girl then WORK for yourself. Think outside the box. By the way there are PLENTY of great CAREERS that encourage their employees to express themselves artistically. Fashion, music, art, etc. This is the 21 century. Why do some people automatically think that if you express yourself you’ll end up a trashy drugged out whore? My grandmother, who’s a hairdresser by the way, shaved one side of my mom’s head as a teen and dyed the long side green and the short side purple because my mom liked Cyndi Lauper and… Read more »

Josie
Josie
Reply to  Nikki

OMG ! Your two last sentences are soo true !

TWill

Jennifer
Jennifer
Reply to  TWill

Ya know, it thinking like this that caused many of us to get perms at the age of 7/8/9. And its thinking like this that caused so many of us to never stop to realize that we didnt have to perm our hair–aka stay in the mold our mother put us in years ago. I agree with some of your post, children do need boundaries, however, whats so wrong with pink hair? I dont know how old this girl is, but rest assured she is not old enough for corporate america. let her have her pink hair–I think its cute-she… Read more »

Nikki
Nikki
Reply to  Jennifer

Amen 🙂

Naturalblue
Naturalblue
Reply to  TWill

I respect your right to voice your opinion, and all I can say is that it saddens me that her Jada’s out of the mold parenting style evoke such consternation from you. I would encourage you to take a look at Jada’s Red Table Discussions, perhaps then you will see some her parenting through a different lens and perspective. My mother did not have a lot of mother, was a single parent (but my father has always been in my life), I am the artistic type, but will also be graduating with an MBA in 2 wks…and I happen to… Read more »

m2
m2

Wow!! Some of yall r REALLY TRIPPIN. Its hilarious and sad @ the same dayum time. Y r yall worried about that girl co-existing in ur world of corporate america politics n umemployment etc… Ummm heeeellloooo. Newsflash… Lol. Since when have the same rules applied to everyone. Leave that girl AND her parents alone. They dont give a ‘hoot’ what u think and they shuddnt. These comments never fail 2 disappoint n entertain me. I wished i would run across a website where people were debating my parenting skills based on the needle point thin view they had about how… Read more »

ahen
ahen

@Anfanni I hope you are NOT injuried by the hit and run…I was in serveral accidents and if I don’t work out, my back will ache again.

ahen
ahen

I think some freedoms are ok while others need to be curtailed until they are out of Dad’s and mom’s house and can handle the attention–good or bad. Hopefully, they will be grounded enough to make good, godly choices. Yes, we are more than our hair but just be VERY prepared to receive the attention good, bad, or ugly with an out-of-this world hairstyle no matter if you are 2 or 92.

Ronnie
Ronnie
Reply to  ahen

Agreed!

Mana23
Mana23

Time will tell. Appearance aren’t always the truth. If she’s artistic and mom is supporting that now is the time to help it develop. With that said she is a teen and her grades, literacy and social skills are what will determine success. Her artictistic privilege should be guided but not stifled. She is being raised as a celebity thats their culture. If williw is doing well in school and being socially responsible as a teen celeb…hair is the last thing her mother should be tripping about.… Of course we don’t give that much freedom to our children because we… Read more »

Morgan
Morgan

Jada Pinkett is MOM OF THE YEAR! If more black women thought like her, more black daughters would grow up not giving a damn about “society’s” (fictional) standards.

jeanettesdaughter
jeanettesdaughter
Reply to  Morgan

right. i’m with jada on this one as a black woman and the mother of two girls. what i see in black communities all across the country is contempt for children under the guise of hair care conformity. our children are losing themselves at home long before white supremacy ever gets a firm hold of them, via the locked down minds and bodies of their parents and the adults in their lives literally getting them ready for oppression as normalcy. willow is a beautiful child, with beautiful hair. intelligent and talented. life will spare no one, not even the privileged… Read more »

Liz
Liz

@TWill That’s ridiculously unfair. What you are saying is something that saddens me all the time–basically the fact that my boyfriend is more likely to get hired with a short buzz cut of some sort than with locs. Why is it that we have to conform with hair color, texture, and otherwise appearance to be accepted by a traditionally white environment that we will be getting hired in? And why, the second someone puts on a black trench, are you terrified of gangs and killers and drug abuse? Is it possible for someone to express themselves without it being at… Read more »

Jasmine
Jasmine

I believe that girls today are too wrapped up in the shallow unimportant trappings of the material world. When my now 9 year old, told me at age 7 that she wished she had hair like my permed hair, because it was straight and “easy” I set out to show her that all hair was beautiful. I cut my hair and went natural, from short fros to braids and weaves its all beautiful because it was on your head. Now she wants hair like mine because its versatile and “funky”. Today’s girls should be taught that their hair is the… Read more »

Camielle
Camielle
Reply to  Jasmine

By far the best statement I have read anywhere and one I personally 100% agree with.

luvnM3napturally
luvnM3napturally

Beautifully said.….emailed this to my teenage daugter. Love all the pictures

Anne
Anne

@Twill its (beeps) like you that makes me wish i wasnt black not because of colour but emotionally, and mental well being i hate you, and hate (b… like you! sexist racist(beeps) You and your crap about what she should do as a little black girl well press your hair and be as conservative as you like your at the bottom of the pile employment wise ‚business wise, looks and beauty wise, your never gracing the covers of top magazines , your mostley always over looked for promotion you have the worst health amongst all women, whites dont give a… Read more »

Jennifer
Jennifer
Reply to  Anne

Um…wow!! Tell us how you really feel 🙂

Lisa
Lisa

At least she’s not dressing like she is ready to go take a spin on the stripper pole. You can bet that she has rules because if she didn’t it would show. Plus, my family is not in the limelight, nowhere near the amount of money that Will and Jada has. But I let my my kids wear their hair anyway they want to. How many kids grew up with rules and regulations in their home ans the ended up going in the wrong direction? How many ended up shooting up the school across the street from their home because… Read more »

Ronnie
Ronnie

I applaud the sentiment and perhaps I’m just too traditional for my own good, but I disagree with Jada. Hair serves no real purpose because it can be completely shaved off with no ill effect on health. So the reason people grow it, style it, etc. is to reflect an image that is being impressed upon other people. Even if Willow is wearing her hair short, it’s straightened, colored, etc. to make some kind of statement to illicit a response from people. So this whole, “We don’t care about Willow’s hair” statement is nonsense. If she really didn’t care about hair… Read more »

Nikki
Nikki
Reply to  Ronnie

The beauty of it is Willow probably ALREADY likes boys and is secure enough to not give to hot cents on whether or not a boy wont like her for short hair. NOW THAT’S a confident teenage girl!! Heck you got grown women that dont have that sort of courage!! Let me play devils advocate for a minute though, what will Willow do if she’s a virgin and notices that boys pass her over for the girls that are putting out? Should she go along with that too? We should NEVER raise our girls to place her self worth in… Read more »

Lisa
Lisa
Reply to  Nikki

Tell it Nikki, Boom!!!!

Reply to  Lisa

Reply to  Lisa

+2!

Ronnie
Ronnie
Reply to  Nikki

You don’t know how secure Willow is. Actually, I see her a little differently. I see someone who is hiding behind an eccentric image or a mask. Of course, Willow shouldn’t engage in deviant behavior and I’m perfectly aware of “if everybody else jumps off a bridge [does drugs, becomes promiscuous, gets drunk] should you as well?” Unequivocally well. But I’m not going for party lines here. Willow, is just a child and a very well-known celebrity’s child. I think she is unnecessarily being subjected to harsh criticism. She may even be getting denied film roles while her brother, mother, and… Read more »

Lisa K.
Lisa K.
Reply to  Ronnie

Ronnie,

I see the validity in what you are saying, but it doesn’t appear that’s the case with Willow. Check out her song. She expresses herself very well.

Nikki
Nikki
Reply to  Ronnie

So true Ronnie, but think of all the women and girls that hide behind the “veils” society prescribes for them to affraid to step out and be who they really are because of what someone might say. We’re on a natural hair site so we ALL at some point or another know how it feels to be afraid to be yourself because of society’s standards. But we ALL threw caution to the wind and said screw that. I just think it’s unfair to assume that a girl with a more “normal” appearance is happier that a girl that “alternative.” It all… Read more »

Reply to  Ronnie

muslim women, nuns and amish women cover their hair for religious beliefs there’s no relevance here they cover their their hair BECAUSE they care about not showing it. so according to you every girl who does not care for her hair ends up wearing a head scarf? i swear some people would just find any reasons to make igorant statements. most boys and yooung men are socialized to like young women with straight hair so let’s just go back to relaxers and close sites like this one lol willow smith is prettier than most the girls of her age and i’m sure… Read more »

Ronnie
Ronnie
Reply to  eve-audrey

I did not state that every person who doesn’t care about hair covers it up. You are picking apart my words, projecting and getting caught up in semantics. There are a variety of ways to show one doesn’t emphasize their hair. From simply wearing organic locs, to wearing it the same way, etc. I know that and you know that. I disagree with you. There is relevance. Willow and her mother care very much about Willow’s hair. That’s why Willow’s hair is manipulated and styled so frequently in such a variety of ways. That’s why her mother made a statement to… Read more »

Reply to  Ronnie

i think that you are the one who picks words and does not understand what i said. of course that jada cares about her child’s hair i was just surprised by the comparison between willow’s haircut and muslim/nuns/amish women who cover their heads for religious reasons. and i still don’t see the relevance. as i said you are entitled to your opinions we don’t have to agree on that one. and as far as judging people without actually knowing what they have in their lives goes you did it perfectly with willow smith and you just do it now with… Read more »

Zeina
Zeina
Reply to  Ronnie

Ma’am, I am a Muslim woman, and I assure you, we don’t cover our hair because we don’t care about it.

locedup

Willow is a beautiful child. She is will and Jada’s child to raise. Just be sure that each of us who have children give our children the space to learn about themselves. While I probably wouldn’t do what the Smith’s do, I can’t judge. My daughters are 31 and 26 and people used to comment on the fact that we lived in a very white suburb and that they wouldn’t be “black” enough. WRONG! I made sure they were rooted and grounded in who they were and they are sho’ nuff’ black enough as well as versatile in dealing with… Read more »

DollyBaby
DollyBaby

I think Jada is right. Thats her daughter and she can raise her how she see’s fit. So far from what i have seen of Willow she seems to be a nice respectful young woman. She doesnt dress like a you know what like some of these teen celebs dress and she doesnt seem to be partying and going crazy like we hear all the time about young celebs…Jada must be doing something right!! Its just hair…and its WILLOWS hair…im actually kind of happy to see a young african american teen not afriad to wear her hair short with or… Read more »

TWILL

WOW..Anne you must really be unhappy with self.… To sum things up in a MATURE,RESPECTFUL WAY…ANNE. Willow Smith is a celebrity child living a celebrity life…the rules are different. All I am trying to say when a Child take on adult like clothing, adult like responsiblities then they should be prepared to be treated adult like. I work in a school system with elementary children as well as high school children and i see first hand how children are treated according to there appearance: a 2nd grade boy with an ear ring…treated like a thug when mom not around…so when… Read more »

Aly
Aly

I have to applaud Nikki for really bringing it home. Willow Smith is her OWN PERSON. This is seriously the best time to experiment with her hair! My mom has always said for years that the best time to experiment with colorful dyes is when you’re young. My godsister dyed her hair green when she was in highschool & when people fussed about it at church my mom was the first to say, “Better she do it now than when she’s an adult looking for a job. She’s a kid and this is the time to experiment, don’t try to… Read more »

kimberly brooks
kimberly brooks

I love it!! I think she is so beautiful and confident. I glad she has parent that love her enough to let her be herself. There are worse things she could be doing. I think some ppl wish they could rock the looks of Ms. Willow.

Lisa K.
Lisa K.

HIGH FIVE!!!!

Dani B
Dani B

I am a mother of a very artistic 14 year old daughter who loves changing her hair color, cut or whatever. This is the time she will have the freedom to do that. I am happy that she feels comfortable enough in her own skin to not be the norm. She is natural…no perm beautiful curly hair and recently shaved the back off! People (mainly family) were upset. But as long as she is happy I am happy, she is an honor roll student at the only public performing arts school in Chicago. #sheisnotherhair

Lisa K.
Lisa K.

She’s a child and this is the best time for her to experiment. She’s under her parents’ wings of protection and she (hopefully) isn’t doing anything that will harm her permanently. She appears to be grounded in that she’s comfortable enough to change her hair again after the stink it raised the last time. And she’s mature enough to express herself in a song stating that she’s not her hair. Leave her alone and let her enjoy her childhood! She can be responsible when she’s an adult.

jarroda
jarroda

I think the hairstyles Willow wears are too grown up and adult. It’s okay to have short hair but the styles she wears are too grown up for her.

Vvintage
Vvintage

I don’t understand what the problem is…I’m pretty sure if she was wearing mini skirts, tank tops, stripper heels and over sexualizing herself that would be a bigger problem than her cutting her hair? Because fact remains that there are kids are age that are sexually exposed or sexualized. I think that’s more worrying than Willow expressing her style by hair cuts. Seriously.

Heather
Heather

From a short-haired adult who had short hair as a child because it was baby-fine and her mother thought it was too “stringy” to wear long, I think as women we need to do whatever it takes to raise STRONG girls who are not afraid to be who they are and who are happy and confident in who they are. If that means letting them cut their hair or grow it long and then dye it all the colors of the rainbow, then soldier on…

Caroline
Caroline

Jeez, I wish MY mom was this empowering and accepting! Jada’s attitude towards her daughter’s self-expression can only breed confidence, something that a lot of girls struggle with. I shaved the back of my head and she’s given me so much crap about it, constantly reminding me how unsightly it looks and how “selfish” I am for doing it. Not only do I own my own body, but I’m 18 years old. And personally, I love the way my hair looks, even if it challenges tradition.

And men still like me. More than ever.

Caroline
Caroline

(Edit: In the 3rd sentence, in using “she”, I refer to my mother.)

community funding lloyds tsb

Wohh precisely what I was looking for, thanks for putting up. “Study men, not historians.” by Harry S Truman. community funding lloyds tsb http://www.lulu.com/blog/2012/04/print-sales-stronger-than-ever-thanks-to-ebooks/

Autumn
Autumn

Willow is a very beautiful girl and I can understand where Jada is coming from. I just think she’s a little too young to wear such mature hairstyles. She is only 12 years old and to me, she looks 16. Honey, please don’t grow up too fast.

Pseudonym
Pseudonym

I remember seeing Willow Smith on “Oprah” and she expressed being embarrassed bc she wasn’t performing as well in school as her peers. Since then, I’ve been hoping that her parents would start to pay more attention to the more important issue- which is her education- and switch the focus onto her schoolwork instead of hairstyles and eccentric outfits.

Dayna menzies
Dayna menzies

I don’t see the fuss about her hair but I always notice the child never smiles. She looks sad and lost…jmo

Bridget
Bridget
Reply to  Dayna menzies

I am the most giggly person you will ever meet. I laugh at everything. WHEN no one laughs I laugh but in pictures I never smile. People always say YOU look angry or sad… Cant judge by a picture.

Albeast
Albeast

If you disagree with Jada’s statement, you completely missed her point, as obvious at it is..

Jc
Jc

You’d look indifferent too if everyone was always sticking a camera in your face. Teenagers often dont smile, its just how they are sometimes…

Charise Wynter
Charise Wynter

She’s so frickin cool!

Rachel N
Rachel N

i love the smith’s family and i always wanted to copy willow smith’s styles such as hair and her outfit

Zeina
Zeina

I don’t know how she feels personally, but I doubt it’s because she’s acting out or her mom gives her too much ‘freedom’ (smh at that word.) She probably just wanted a change. After wearing my hair long since I was a kid, I told my Momma I wanted to cut it. And I did. I went from waist-length when curly to chin length when straight. (I was maybe 15 — 16). I also temporarily got sea-green highlights (up until then I always had gold colored ones). And you know what? I realized I wanted long hair, and that I… Read more »

NYC
NYC

Not long ago, I ran into the Mrs./Mr. Smith I told them I’ve always looked up to them for the realness of their family. They were polite and I kept it short not to intrude on their time. NA-SAYERS.……not only should they stay out of other people’s beeswax, they really need to stay in their lane and continue focusing on their wigs, weaves and hair grease. I’ve sported a afro, shave head, finger waves, braids and now, long locs. Do I care what other people’s thoughts about what I’ve done and style my hair or anything else? Hell no. Keep being you…… Read more »