Markquisha // 4A/B Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Oct 7, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
M:
Hello beautiful world 🙂 My name is Markquisha. I’m from Fort Wayne Indiana and I currently reside in Detroit, Michigan or the “D” for short. What up doe..:)

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
M:
I started to notice thinning edges and see through hair!! The long thick hair I had was disappearing right before my eyes so I got on my laptop and typed in “How to get my hair healthy again” in the google bar and what popped up took me by surprise 🙂 I saw so many beautiful Natural haired women and I was convinced instantly!!! I never knew I had a choice smh!! Like many of us we grew up getting a relaxer and that was that!! So I did a big chop on June 10th 2010 and it’s been two years and four months.

How would you describe your texture?
M:
I would say my hair is around 4a-4bish with thin to medium strands. My hair is very picky unlike its owner about products. She doesn’t like everything…lol She loves just being left alone for the most part, but my HIH disease makes it hard for that to happen…lol

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
M:
I currently do the Curly Girl Method. My current regimen I go by is to clarify once a month with the As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo then once a week I co-wash with the As I Am Coconut Co-wash, or I use Trader Joe’s Nourish Spa Conditioner. (If you haven’t tried their products I highly suggest trying them because they are most Def the Bidness 🙂 Then I use the As I Am Leave in Conditioner and either do twists or a wash and go. When I rock my twist outs I only use extra virgin olive oil to seal my twists and use the leave in conditioner as my styler. I twist up and remove the twists in the morn. (To maintain this style for the week I simply retwist at night)

I rarely rock twists in my hair as a style because I just don’t like how they look on me :/ and when I rock a wash and go I use the Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Gel and I pair it with the clear Eco. (To maintain this style I sleep either on my satin pillowcase or bonnet, then in the morn I touch it up with water and gel to de-frizz some areas) I really love the big twist outs I get…but prefer the wash and go because it makes it easier when I work out.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
M:
When I rock my wash and goes I don’t worry about it. I just do the style and that’s it, but when I rock my twist outs I do use the stretching method and that’s just twisting it back up every night.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
M:
Since I wear my hair in its curly state I noticed that I don’t have uniformed curls all around and in the very front of my head it’s much looser than the rest…more wavy, so I either use my fingers or straws to get that hair to blend in with the rest.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
M:
I would say two do’s are Moisturizing and Detangling 🙂

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
M:
And two don’ts would be constantly Manipulating my hair and Heat styling!!

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
M:
BGLH: http://blackgirllonghairforum.com/profile/markquishastclair?xg_source=msg_wel_network
I have a YouTube channel which is: http://www.youtube.com/user/markquisha?feature=mhee
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/markquisha75?ref=hl
Blog: http://markquisha343435.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/markquisha/followers/
Intagram: Markquisha

About Meosha

Karen
Karen

The hook in her nose is so ugly!!

Priscilla
Priscilla
Reply to  Karen

Had to re-read the entire piece to check whether she asked for your opinion on her hook. ‑_- Love your hair Markquisha happy to see a 4A/B trying curly girl method because I’d like to try it too. Oh, and get as many piercings as you want, wherever you want. Canceling out ‘Ms-write-everything-on-my-mind’s madness.

Jessica
Jessica
Reply to  Priscilla

Lol. +1

Karen
Karen
Reply to  Priscilla

No she didnt ask but when you allow your picture to be posted a website you better ready for EVERYONE’S OPINION!!
Did you say this when there was all the hate towards Toya Carter…heck no!!

Kellee
Kellee
Reply to  Karen

What does this post have to do with Toya Carter?? Furthermore, who cares about this woman’s piercing?? The post is about her HAIR and she still looks great 😛 Stop being a bully, it’s not cool.

T.
T.
Reply to  Karen

You are rude and unkind. That’s MY OPINION about you.

Karen
Karen
Reply to  T.

LMAO, she got worst comments on Facebook!!!

anon
anon
Reply to  Karen

I feel so sorry for you. You’re obviously unhappy with yourself, so you’re projecting all of that onto this woman who is clearly more comfortable in her skin. I do hope that you grow…

blackrussian1010
blackrussian1010
Reply to  Priscilla

Funny and to the point!
Love it!!!

Nikki
Nikki
Reply to  Karen

Wow. Ok. Moving on.…

Venus
Venus
Reply to  Karen

I think it’s pretty.… Brings attention to her eyes…

Emma
Emma
Reply to  Karen

Ermmm and who needed your opinion!? You need to learn to SHUT UP if u have nothing better to say. How would u feel if ppl say every nasty thing that pops into their head when they first meet u? Learn to say the positive and swallow the negative. Its not cool to just air your opinion abt someone (esp when u don’t knw the person) without thinking abt the impact. Be considerate!

Erica
Erica

Markquisha, both you, your hair, and the “hook” is beautiful.

Love JAH
Love JAH

Luscious luscious hair.…I love it

JenniD
JenniD

so luscious and healthy looking! Very nice and simple. I disagree and think the twists look good on you, but your fro is beautiful so I can see how you’d lean towards that style lol.

markquisha
markquisha

Thanks for the love yall 🙂 When I seen the ugly comment my heart dropped so sad that some can be so rude but hey that’s the world we live in smh but I love it and me so that’s all that counts :)xoxo

T.
T.
Reply to  markquisha

Sometimes commenters forget that the folk in the photos are people with feelings too, and that those feelings can be hurt. I think you look awesome, sassy and stylish, your hair looks great, and the gap in your teeth is really cute.

Kellee
Kellee
Reply to  markquisha

Don’t sweat it, she obviously has a chip on her shoulder. Carrying-over some bitterness about a post from a day or two ago, SMH. She was the first person to comment…obviously just waiting to attack whoever it was, and it happened to be you. You look great hun, piercing or no piercing.

DCW
DCW
Reply to  markquisha

Sure is sad, but you have the right attitude!! Only love can conquer unnecessary hate, no need to associate yourself among the thoughtless, just keep it moving! 🙂

Good bless!!

Crist
Crist
Reply to  markquisha

no way should you even listen to that psycho, your lovely and some people JUST WANT TO BE MEAN which has nothing to do with you personally

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden
Reply to  markquisha

Girl, you are beautiful. Your hair is absolutely gorgeous. So thick! Ignore the haters.

Emma
Emma
Reply to  markquisha

HAIR ENVY! 🙂 Your Hair is so thick and healthy!

markquisha
markquisha

Vonnie
Vonnie

Love your hair! Envious of your nose ring, and I too suffer from a SERIOUS case of HIH syndrome *hangs head*

Pat
Pat

Thick hair! ????

Lita
Lita

There are some regular trolls, its a hazard of online life 🙁

Your hair is astounding, and you look amazing. x

Kerim
Reply to  Lita

An stimulating lanaugge is designer opinion. I anticipate that you ought to indite statesman with this matter, it may not be a inhibition rule but typically fill usually are not enough to speak in much topics. To the actual succeeding. Cheers like your Khmer Karaoke Celebrities Somnangblogs.

Alonda
Alonda

Your hair is extravagant darling and so is the hook! It adds to the uniqueness you clearly have! 🙂 Please don’t let haters spread that foolishness around. I personally had to do a double take cause you’re so pretty! That is it! Have a great day girlie! :):)

napfrocurlzgirl

Welcome to Michigan! I’m from Grand Rapids, but lived in Fort Wayne for more than 10 years. Soooo glad to be back home!!!!! How are you liking Michigan and Detroit?

Dee
Dee

Beautiful hair!!!!

Tesia
Tesia

Hey girl! Reprsenting for the D!!! I see you!! Don’t worry about the haters!

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

That’s a gorgeous head of hair! So thick and healthy looking.

DCW
DCW

I like your style…you’re a beauty with gorgeous hair! 🙂

Trini
Trini

Well, for HIH syndrome your hair is flourishing just lovely.

mlank64
mlank64

love the hair, so full and lush. Beautiful woman!!!

CROWN, Markquisha's BULLYguard

SIS,

your HAIR,

your PIERCING,

your SPIRIT,

all are NATURALLY FLYY 😉

Something HUNNNNNNNDREDS in the “D” possess,
Something OTHERS just don’t hold.

Keep ya chin to the CEILIN’,
and FLYY right past em!!<3

folks WISH they were FLYY enough to rock UNIQUE piercings and tatts like we do!!<3

We don’t hate too often in Detroit,
instead we have natural hair meetups with 600 sistas LOVING and ENCOURAGING and UPLIFTING each other!!!<3

tell that huzzie I said LEARN ah lil sumthn’!!

LOVE U, SIS.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/169540_10151155956647760_215498635_o.jpg[/img]

CROWN, Markquisha's BULLYguard

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/154101_1641880761777_4141194_n.jpg[/img]

Monz03b
Monz03b

You are fly! Love the hair!

Monz03b
Monz03b

You already know you will have a hater or two when you have beautiful hair!

Crist
Crist

you had me at ‘hello beautiful world’ ..aww i just love that 🙂

Aliren
Aliren

Your hair looks great and I’m glad to see HIH is such an epidemic. I’m from Flint and moved to Fort Wayne. Represent that and your hook!

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH

Love the hair but that piercing takes away from her face. I hate those things they’re ugly

Venus
Venus
Reply to  TINA SMITH

To each his own.… I think it adds to it… Your attention goes directly to her eyes.… Love it

Camille
Camille

Your hair is lovely. I am going to recreate that twist style.

I have one thing to say. 1984.
If BOTH sides cannot speak you are ALL headed to an ugly place.

katw
katw
Reply to  Camille

wtf

Trini
Trini
Reply to  katw

It’s a reference to George Orwell who also wrote Animal Farm.

Beth
Beth
Reply to  Camille

I understand exactly what you’re saying…having a Big Brother always produces disaster. But spreading positivity is beautiful, and I have to say if only I could get my twists to look that JUICY! That twist updo looks amazing, and I must agree that she has piercing eyes.

Jlindy
Jlindy

Finally! A fellow detroiter, it’s so refreshing just to see somebody in my city. You’re hair and septum piercing are gorgeous btdubs :).

bluethenaturalmami
bluethenaturalmami

Gorgeous hair! Very healthy and full! 🙂

Omodudu Onidada

Every bit of what I see in your pics is beautiful. I’m not surprised it isn’t well appreciated by some people after all, it isn’t the common type of beauty. Society often deters people from being different but history is full of people who looked different and started a new path within which a lot of us now proudly walk through. Something tells me you actually get a high from the discouraging words you’ve been told. Some people are (oddly) driven by such. It’s a great quality to have, really.

Kalda McCray
Kalda McCray

You hair is beautiful, I so wish for the day my hair is like yours, but I’m happy with what I have, patience it will be my second year and loving it you piercing is you it makes you unique people really need to get a grip and find some kind of happiness being on the attack like that can cause heart attacks its not that serious to be so mean just because!!! Grow up!

Macdee
Macdee

HERE WE GO AGAIN WITH THE NEGATIVITY!!
The first thing I saw was a gorgeous head of jet black hair, full and chunky strands, followed by gorgeous almond shaped eyes. She’s a stunning looking woman with a unique sense of style as far as I’m concerned and that all that matters.

Khandie
Khandie

wow Ilove your hair i am 15 months post transistioning you hair ha inspired me to continue on my hhj. Your hair is o thick and beauitful keep up the good work sis.

Khandie
Khandie

wow I love your hair I am 15 months post transistioning you hair has inspired me to continue on my hhj. Your hair is so thick and beauitful keep up the good work sis.

Knatural
Knatural

My hair is alot like yours! The closest I’ve seen actually!! Yay! You are so beautiful. I love your invdividuality as well as your positivity! It takes alot to be willing to post pics and talk about yourself, a vulnerability if you will. Anyway, Thanks! Peace.

Toya
Toya

I just spent my fall break in Detriot, wonderful city and the poeple were so warm and welcoming. Love your hair!!!

Cass
Cass

Hair is good but whats up with the nose ring?

markquisha
markquisha
Reply to  Cass

Thank you 🙂 You haven’t seen one before???? I got it done because I like it nothing more 😉

steel magnolia
steel magnolia

Beautiful in every way…wish I were brave enough to get a septum piercing.

FloridaHoneybee
FloridaHoneybee

Marquisha is pretty and if she was in the CharJ video Deuces—she can rap! I kinda fell in love with her–teehee–in that video–she is hot! Her hair has GROWN!!!!! Wonder what she uses for growth?

I am not a fan of piercings and hate I fed into the tattoo phase–it reeks of trying to hard and it doesn’t go with my persona or my career (middle school teacher and college instructor). 🙁 I wish I could get these things removed.

FloridaHoneybee
FloridaHoneybee

too” yikes and well tattoo might be spelled wrong –LONNNNNNGGG DAY

markquisha
markquisha

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/581989_304441416317963_2139146652_n‑1.jpg[/img] The rude comments have really been on my mind since I was featured…not because they bothered me but because I wanted to address the rudeness and disrespectfulness of those who felt it was a need to display how they felt about my nose ring!!! I was not featured on this page because of my septum piercing… smh clearly the name of this site says it all!!! I got three words for you SHAME ON YOU!!!!! True everyone has a right to their Opinion but we are all Grown and know right from wrong!!!! God did not put us on… Read more »

Brian
Reply to  markquisha

Great web site. A lot of helpful info here. I’m sinedng it to some friends ans additionally sharing in delicious. And naturally, thank you to your effort!