Teal // 3C Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Sep 11, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
T:
My name is Teal. I was born in south Florida and actually just left not too long ago to go to college in Illinois. My racial background is white and black (Jamaican and Trini).

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
T:
The only time my hair was ever not natural was when I had my hair relaxed when I was in 7th grade. I kept up with it, however my hair decided to start curling back. I had the same thing done again, but gave up on the upkeep after a while and let my hair do as it pleased. After three years of having awkwardly partly curly, partly wavy hair, I cut it. My hair was at about my waist, and I cut it to the middle of my ears. I’ve been natural now for five years.

How would you describe your texture?
T:
I’d say my texture is 3C, although I’m not too sure. My hair is definitely thick.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
T:
I have a basic hair regimen. Each day I comb my hair in the shower with a wide toothed comb, and then put in conditioner. I focus on the ends and the middle rather than the scalp and roots. With the conditioner in, I brush my hair with a paddle brush. I usually wrap my hair in a towel and do whatever else I have to do to get ready. I only shampoo once a week, sometimes less. I tend to go on the instinct of when my head gets too itchy. I actually don’t have any preferred products. I used Tresemme for a while. I just recently (as in a couple days ago) started using Shea Moisture products, and I have to say they smell delicious.

What does wash day look like for you?
T:
Washing my hair goes like this: comb, shampoo, rinse, comb, condition, brush. Again, no preferred products yet.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
T:
I actually don’t style my hair much. I part it just off the middle and let it go wild which is pretty quick and easy. If an even quicker method is needed, I put my hair in a bun.

How do you combat shrinkage?
T:
I actually don’t do anything to avoid shrinkage. I just let my hair grow out.

Tell us about your hair color?
T:
I wanted to dye a part of my hair an awesome color that would actually show up, so I had my friend bleach the bottom portion before she dyed it purple. After a while I dyed it a light brown. The bleach loosened up the curls which led to the effect of longer looking hair. People would ask me if they were extensions because of how much longer that portion was from the rest of my hair.

I ended up cutting those parts so they don’t look like extensions. Now with the bottom part of my hair being shorter than the rest, but without looking shorter, I have to pay attention to make sure it still looks right and will probably have to occasionally trim the rest of my hair so eventually it’ll all even out.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
T:
Make conditioner your best friend. If I don’t condition, my curls loosen and frizz.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
T:
Do not over shampoo. One shampoo a week is too much sometimes because it dries up my hair.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
T:
Ifiwereastarfish.tumblr.com is my personal blog. I have a photography blog at korbyphotography.tumblr.com.

About Meosha

Alisha

Wow! Love these photos!

merry
merry

i love the photos too. i’ll bet she does interesting portraits.

JenniD
JenniD

Yes very nice photos. Beautiful hair too. I like the dyed tips look, creative yet not too overwhelming. I have a question for 3c naturals, do you all use butters and castor oil to style your hair? It would seem to be too heavy. I ask cause it seems like the curlier the hair the lighter the products. My little niece is 3c and I wanted to get her some hair care products since she likes to wear it in a curly TWA.

Lela7
Lela7
Reply to  JenniD

I’m a 4b, but my mum is a type 2 wavy. We can actually use similar products, the only difference is she would use only a little bit, because her hair is easily weighed down, whereas I tend to be much more heavy handed. I think most curl types can use at least some of the same products. Go onto most online stores e.g. blended beauty, you will see that a lot of the stuff for the kinky haired people is the same as for the curly types!

Original Gee
Original Gee
Reply to  JenniD

@JenniD, Hi I’m a 3b/c curly and I’ve experimented with heavy oils and moisturizers and found that they just haven’t worked for my hair. It left it hard and greasy. I wash and condition my hair once a week and for a leave in I use Kinky Curly Knot Today. That is the only leave in so far that has left my curls soft and not weighed down. I don’t feel I need to seal with an oil because I wet my hair and use Kinky Curly daily so my hair is staying moisturized. However if you would like to… Read more »

Gia
Gia
Reply to  Original Gee

Hi JenniD, I’m a coarse 3c/4a type that’s also low porosity and butters and oils don’t work really for me, especially butters. My hair loves rich leave ins that have the consistency of a lotion such as Giovanni’s Direct Leave In. It’s not extremely light but it’s not oil or butter heavy either (in the ingredients). If I use oils they are Avocado or Grapeseed, and I’ll just scrunch a tiny bit in after my hair is dry, it gives my hair shine and if I used gel, oil will soften my strands. Using it on wet hair for me… Read more »

Marcia
Marcia

Beautiful hair, so thick. I like the color! Creative pictures!

neytiri

I loooove the flowers in the hair. i am so gonna do a photo like that lol. Reminds me of a fairy.

Jula

Love the flowers in her hair.

AC
AC

Beautiful! 🙂

DiJah
DiJah

She is beautiful and so is her hair! Teal is my favorite color so when I saw that her name is Teal, I like she gotta be dope! and she is for the teal tips on her hair 🙂

MichRen247

Awww love seeing a fellow natural white + black (Jamaican & Trini!) This is my exact racial makeup too, so it’s cool to kind of meet another one…love the hair & the art! Cool mane & cool name, too! 😉