Solange Knowles Leaves Position as Spokesperson for Carol’s Daughter

Avatar • Sep 20, 2012

So in a recent interview with Lurve Magazine, Solange Knowles revealed that she is out as a Carol’s Daughter spokesperson, in part because of disagreements with the company’s messaging:

I’m actually no longer a part of Carol’s Daughter, but throughout my entire time working with them, I was constantly fighting for the right message to be heard. The message that, the way we wear our hair is a personal choice, there’s no right or wrong way; one way doesn’t make us more intelligent, or more superficial, and every one makes that choice for very different reasons.

It’s interesting, though, since one of Carol’s Daughter’s other celebrity spokeswomen — Selita Ebanks — does wear her hair straightened and in the past several years the company has distanced itself from its original branding as natural hair only.

Still, Solange was definitely the face of the ‘natural hair arm’ of Carol’s Daughter’s marketing, with her image used to promote the company’s transitioning products and website.

But apparently she was not prepared for the intensity/scrutiny that came along with being a natural hair icon, and didn’t know until recently that a hair typing system even existed. Some of these frustrations were the cause for her recent rant on Twitter:

I made some comments on Twitter recently about an article someone sent me that a young writer wrote about how much energy we are putting into other people’s natural hair. I thought it was really interesting, and in a lot of ways true. That is until I came across the part of the article that mentioned how certain commenters were debating on the texture of my hair in its natural state.

I really, truly was not even aware that there was a natural hair system in place to measure the texture of your hair. At that point I thought to myself, ‘This is really crazy. That these people know more about my hair than the human that even carries it!’ I went to my Twitter and sort of impulsively expressed that. I don’t regret it one bit, but sometimes trying to put how you feel in an one-hundred forty character structure is not really successful. […] I’m actually really trying to navigate my feelings on the entire hair issue and it’s tough doing that publicly.

Some have suggested that Solange’s frustration is her own fault, since she came out the gate speaking about her big chop on The Oprah Winfrey Show in 2009, and followed up with a Carol’s Daughter endorsement deal. But the singer insists that she didn’t know that her hair would come to define her public image.

On one hand, I can’t ignore the fact that I have done things that have put attention on my hair with going on Oprah and being apart of Carol’s Daughter.

I was asked to go on Oprah on an episode that was dedicated to Black Hair, and to speak about why I cut my hair. I honestly thought, “Number one, it’s Oprah, and who wouldn’t want to go on Oprah and meet her?!?! She’s amazing! But also, I thought if I addressed it then, then maybe I wouldn’t have to on that level again.

I spoke about how I felt like my hair was holding me back in some ways from fully utilizing my life, in terms of the time, energy and money I was spending. I also remember very clearly saying that this was the phase I am in at the time and that if I wanted to wear a weave down to my calves–when and if that time came–I very much so would. I still feel that way now. I realize for some people that this was a big turning point in terms of how they saw me.

Interesting. Ladies, what are your thoughts on all this?

Priscilla
Priscilla

Glad she did this. At least she didn’t take their money and run. It shows integrity. Though she was one of the most hostile spokespersons ever. It was amusing to read through that debacle.

Reply to  Priscilla

Agreed. But a boatload of women “sick of Solange” are about to get on here and complain…

DaynaJoe
DaynaJoe
Reply to  Beth

@priscilla — I cosign. She was one of the most hostile spokespersons I have ever seen for any product–period. I am quite confused as to why Carol’s Daughter didn’t pick one of the many hair icons on some of the popular hair sites to represent whatever hair campaigns were being rolled out. Solange was not a good fit for that brand. Now she is modeling for Madewell’s, but giving interviews stating she’s not really into fashion. LOL!!!!!!!!! She’s not interesting enough for me to contemplate why she or her reps haven’t given her media training to learn what NOT to… Read more »

Reply to  DaynaJoe

True, but I have a feeling Solange doesn’t have an ounce of concern about how what she says reflects on her standing. It comes across that way. Which isn’t necessarily bad. I’m just curious as to why some are so quick to cast Solange away when she is one of the only reasonably famous women visibly wearing her natural hair proudly. She doesn’t have to have the same opinions as everyone else.

DaynaJoe
DaynaJoe
Reply to  Beth

@ Beth — The only reasonably famous woman? Solange? Maybe this is a generational gap rearing its head. Before Solange, we had Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, Lauryn Hill (the most famous of them all), Alek Wek, Lois Samuels; women with talent, beauty and style IMO. More recently, we have Esperanza Spaulding, Ledisi, and countless models, stylists and images in the press. I know here in Brooklyn, I don’t know anyone who looks to Solange for any anything. Not hair or clothing styles. I just don’t. Solange was riding a movement and looks that already had trendsetters. Good for HER that she has… Read more »

Janique
Janique
Reply to  DaynaJoe

Can’t forget Goapele : )

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  Janique

Pls dont leave out Ms. Chaka Khan =)

Mai
Mai
Reply to  DaynaJoe

I agree, there have been many black naturals who were natural way before Solange. And on top of that, women go natural for a lot of different reasons. I think we forget that a famous person is, at the end of the day, still a person. We don’t know how the felt about their naturals, what persons that got from a relaxer, or otherwise. All we know is that one day they had a weave or relaxer and they next they had it cut off. And just to keep adding to the list of naturals of were natural before Solange —… Read more »

DaynaJoe
DaynaJoe
Reply to  Mai

@ Janique and Mai — you are both so right. I do so admire the hairstyles (and style in general) of all of those lovely ladies.

Cami
Cami
Reply to  Mai

…and my favorite curly, Rachel True (aka “Mona” on Half & Half)

Shades
Shades
Reply to  DaynaJoe

I would also like to add that Solange doesn’t necessarily wear her hair “proudly” she just wears it. I don’t think there’s any pride or lack thereof in her case. She just is & that’s partly why she wasn’t a good choice for Carol’s Daughter. How are you going to promote hair care products when you admittedly don’t really use products or care that much about doing anything with your hair? The best person to represent anything is someone who has actually used a product & loves it as much as they want their audience to love it. (or someone… Read more »

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  Shades

How do you measure how one wears there hair proudly?

Lu
Lu
Reply to  maralondon

Um, thank you! People on this site are trippin’!

Allegre
Allegre
Reply to  Lu

+1,000,000.

LIVEANDLETLIVEITCHES
LIVEANDLETLIVEITCHES
Reply to  Shades

@ SHADES.….GUYS I THINK I FOUND THE NATURAL HAIR POLICE…SMH AT SHADES. RETIRE ALREADY, HOW THE HELL CAN YOU TELL IF SHE IS PROUD OF WEARING HER HAIR NATURAL, ITS NOT GOOD ENOUGH THAT SHE IS NATURAL NOW THERE IS A CERTAIN WAY TO WHERE YOUR NATURAL HAIR, I AM RUNNING AWAY FROM YALL CRAZY ITCHES LIKE SOLANGE, YOU ARE JUST INSECURE AND UNHAPPY SO YOU ARE TRYING TO FIND IT IN OTHER NATURAL CELEBRITIES TO VALIDATE YOUR NATURAL HAIR. THE JOURNEY IS DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE. SOME PPL CARE AND SOME DONT, ISNT IT JUST BEAUTIFUL THAT A WOMEN THAT… Read more »

Reply to  DaynaJoe

Well, I did say “one of the only.” No generation gap here, those are amazing examples of beautiful natural haired women! I think what I meant is that Solange is more visible than other well known naturals because she’s often featured on blogs, in magazines, occasionally on TV. Not to mention she’s Beyonce’s sister. What I appreciate is that she wears her natural hair (and I will reiterate *proudly,* because Solange, unlike many naturals, wears her hair in manipulated as well as unmanipulated styles to a variety of events regardless of the fact that few other celebs are wearing their… Read more »

Lu
Lu
Reply to  Beth

Yes and yes! Voices of reason.

Allegre
Allegre
Reply to  Beth

Tell it.

LavishChic
Reply to  DaynaJoe

Dayna, I agree with you. I never really believed that Solange was into this movement. I feel like she saw a niche where her sister wasn’t, and moved in to capitalize on it. Not the best spokesperson for a natural hair care line.

LIVEANDLETLIVEITCHES
LIVEANDLETLIVEITCHES
Reply to  LavishChic

YOU SOUND LIKE THE NATURAL HAIR NATZI

Kenley Bel
Kenley Bel
Reply to  Beth

Agreed.

Jane
Jane
Reply to  DaynaJoe

This is too hostile for someone you don’t know.

Azia
Reply to  Jane

Right!!! I love Solange, and I think everyone puts far too much pressure on her. What people want is for her to smile and be doting and give out all these hair tips and talk about her experience positively. This is her living her life, wearing her hair the way she wants. It’s not that deep! It was never that deep. It’s JUST hair.

Reply to  Azia

+1. Tired of people acting like everyone’s “natural hair journey” is the same. It’s not all cut and dry. Solange should just never utter a word about hair unless it’s to list her top ten moisturizing products or how she executes the perfect “curl definition.” Apparently that’s what’s being demanded of her.

KinkyKami
KinkyKami
Reply to  Azia

(I know it’s long but please take the time to read it to the end. It’s worth it.) I agree with everything u said except… It really gets me whenever I hear “it’s just hair”. Its so obviously not. Just like the front seat of the bus in the 50s was more than a slightly more convenient seating arrangement, it’s the principle, not the physicality of the situation that’s the big deal. It’s the idea that most of us don’t feel entitled or empowered to wear our natural hair, that is, if you want to be accepted and viewed as attractive… Read more »

Mia
Mia
Reply to  KinkyKami

Very well stated KinkyKami. You had sound arguments and presented them in a respectful manner.You get two thumbs up from me

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  Mia

And a high-five plus and Amen from lil ‘ol me!

Allegre
Allegre
Reply to  Jane

LMAO– So true.

Barbara
Barbara
Reply to  DaynaJoe

Preach Dayna, preach! Lol

Please BGLH let this be the last mention of this woman.

” Now she is modeling for Madewell’s, but giving interviews stating she’s not really into fashion. LOL!”<——LMFAO

Beth

Wow. Solange exhibits an attitude about hair very similar to mines…she doesn’t feel the need for hair to manipulate her life.

J
J
Reply to  Beth

At least she is honest,why support something you don’t believe in? Money can’t always change your opinion on things.It’s amazing Carols Daughter are moving away from their start base who made them famous. I will not be buying their stuff.

Penelope
Penelope

I like her attitude and response. The scrutiny got really ridiculous, with people complaining and debating things from her hair styles to hair texture to her “lack of” length retention…As if she dedicates hours a day to maintaining her hair..She just does what works for her and what she’s comfortable with and I think we all should.

Jess
Jess
Reply to  Penelope

I truly feel for the girl. I’m sure she expected to some degree to receive criticism from non-naturals, but I really think she was taken-aback and possibly slightly hurt about all of the shade from natural-haired women. I wonder what will happen when Solange breaks from all of this ridiculous pressure or feels COMPELLED to relax her hair or something. I’m sure her natural haters will criticize her for that, too.

Congrats, Solange-haters: now there is one less high profile natural haired woman serving as a spokeswoman for a hair care brand… happy?

Neytiri

Well at least she acknowledged why ppl wud be so interested in her hair. Some celebs kill me. They want it both ways: they want ppl to look at them, idol them, want to be like them, and pay attn to them only when they r promoting something. When they get the fame and the money the expect all tht attn to go away. She was a very hostile spokesperson. I wud not be surprised if CD dropped her.

m2
m2
Reply to  Neytiri

Exactly!!!!

Home Daycare

Why don’t people just let folks live.… Who gives a F what people choose to do with their hair. I feel bad for her. Her hair is now more important than her damn music. Let this child live…

Tia
Tia

lol why am I not surprised!!! I think she is frustrated because she would like to be aknowledged for something more than her hair and style. Her music and (whatever else she does) definitely creates less “buzz” than the hair. I for one do not know any of her songs so… I agree with her in certain aspects. If she is not passionate, or even interested in hair, why be a spokesperson? But then again, you are in the public eye and people will always be looking at you and judging you. you CANNOT please anyone.that’s life. While I love her… Read more »

m2
m2

I knew this was coming. She really needs to work with her PR and get it together. She really confuses me.

Anyiahessentials
Anyiahessentials

It’s about damn time»>allthese comments she was making were annoying!!!

I was wondering how she was still cutting a check!!!!

Anyiahessentials
Anyiahessentials

It’s also kind of weak to step down feeling the way she does about hair»>in the end she let folks comments affect her…

koopagrrl
koopagrrl

I think she is pretty cool to stand up for the viewpoints she believes in. I honestly think too many people give her too much attention about her hair but that usually happens whenever you do something that breaks the mold.

Miss T
Miss T

Good, I’m glad she gone cause “she dont want to talk about no hair no more”.…

chloe
chloe

I wonder who will replace her.

CocoaNo5
CocoaNo5
Reply to  chloe

Esperanza Spalding would be perfect!

LavishChic
Reply to  CocoaNo5

+ 1,000,000. That would be a perfect fit.

JenniD
JenniD

Sounds like she just didn’t want to be boxed in as the “natural hair chic”. Jill Scott pretty much said the same thing. I think that once you create a signiture style and try to change people will always have something to say. With that being said why don’t any of these women ever want to adress the issues black women have about their hair? They have the perfect platform but always insert comments saying they will straighten or wear a weave if they feel like it. So as to say my natural hair doesn’t define me. But in a… Read more »

DaynaJoe
DaynaJoe
Reply to  JenniD

+1 (below) belongs here. sigh

BeautyIAM
BeautyIAM
Reply to  JenniD

I see what you’re saying, but its not fair to tell some of these celebrities to speak up for us if that is not what they want to do. The way we all view our hair is different. Its not that serious for some people. To be honest, we really don’t need the celebrities to make noise. Us non celebs have already made noise. Just look at all the natural hair companies that have made their way to the shelves of your local stores. NY Times has written an article in regards to natural hair. Countless new stories have talked about… Read more »

JenniD
JenniD
Reply to  BeautyIAM

True, and I don’t want it to seem like they HAVE to speak for us but if prompted they should just say something positive and move on instead of acting like they are some how above it. Unfortunately this so called movement has brought out a lot of women with self esteem issues who like to project. That means people don’t play fair and start slinging mud at people for their choices. Its not that serious to everyone and I’m okay with that we all have diffrent upbringings and see the world diffrently.

Natasha
Natasha
Reply to  JenniD

Just so that it’s said three times in a row: it’s not that serious for everyone.

I’ve had my locs, on and off, for over a decade and have always remained natural. At no point did I feel the need to talk about someone else’s hair choices unless they approached me about the topic.

That said, it’s interesting that Solange couldn’t get that opinion expressed with the CD board. I wonder if they wanted her to stay natural all the time or had a problem with her doing those recent braids?

Crist
Crist
Reply to  JenniD

beautifully put..this needs to be put at the top of the homepage of every natural hair blog as a reminder

Margaret Cooley
Margaret Cooley
Reply to  JenniD

Black hair is such a political thing in our community. Is her hair relaxed, does she wear weave, is her hair REALLY natural. In the end I do what’s good for me. When I was young, I spent hours on my hair. I grew older and started to explore my natural hair. Now I’m usually curly but I still blow dry and flat iron sometimes. It’s all about how I feel that day. I wish we as a people could find a way to move past hair and get to what really matters — raising our children to be loved and… Read more »

Likewaterforchocolat

Yaaaaaasssss! Go in, ma’am! +1000

SweetBonita
Reply to  JenniD

DaynaJoe
DaynaJoe

lacquerholic

The natural hair movement is to me the same as the women’s movement. It’s about choice! My best friend is relaxed and has healthy hair down her back and knows how to take care of her hair. You can have healthy hair chemicals or not as long as you know how to take care of yourself fully. Personally for me, I will never relax my hair again. I don’t use direct heat, nor do I care for weaves or wigs but that is my preference.

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  lacquerholic

The natural hair movement is to me the same as the women’s movement. It’s about choice! ”

AMEN!

BeautyIAM
BeautyIAM

Go Solange. I’m really happy she left Carols Daughter. I was really irritated by the back lash she got from some people after she went on twitter and told people to leave her alone. I never cared that she was a spokes person for them, but she can at least feel free to do what she wants. Just to add, I wonder if her leaving comes with the fact that she just doesn’t want to represent natural hair that hard. I have come to the point where I just don’t care to talk about my hair to people on or off… Read more »

regina s
regina s

i don’t care and need to unsub from all this boring natural talk just pointless

Heart Curly

The sad thing is that women will forever be judged based on their appearance no matter how much we try to avoid it. I think the real stupidity in this is to think that you can go through life without negative comments from others. It’s really important to just block it out. I hope Solange can do this and stop trying to tell a message to a audience that doesn’t care and focus her energy on the audience that does care.

Jess
Jess
Reply to  Heart Curly

Agreed. I think there are still many women who are inspired by Solange. She was never going to win over the “neat” naturals and the twist out crew. She just has to be okay with it and continue to be herself…

Dawn
Dawn

Her overall style is fabulous and uniquely hers and I rarely view her as “natural hair icon” anyway, but rather just someone with natural hair…if that makes sense.

Her rants get a sideeye from me though–if SHE didn’t know the ramifications of being a spokesperson for a hair care company, surely SOMEONE in her camp knew. Don’t hire me for Baskin Robbins ads and expect me to TWEET, “Who the hayle needs 31 flavors anyway??? #sosickoficecream”.

sunshyne84
sunshyne84
Reply to  Dawn

Oooo I would be the perfect person for Baskin Robbins!

Priscilla
Priscilla
Reply to  Dawn

Someone…or maybe everyone in her camp did not attend their marketing 101 classes. lol

SweetBonita
Reply to  Dawn

Don’t hire me for Baskin Robbins ads and expect me to TWEET, “Who the hayle needs 31 flavors anyway??? #sosickoficecream”.”

LOL! classic.

Reply to  Dawn

LMBO! “Who the hayle needs 31 flavors?” LOL! And during her understandable twitter rant, she insulted other naturals who do support and like her but choose to wear twist-outs or more defined natural styles. I don’t like when people who are angry about one specific thing, generalize and make anybody they can think of a casualty of their anger.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Oh no, you mean they did not renew her contract?! Gee, I WONDER why??? Lol…

Maybe because she is an impulsive twit who can’t keep her mouth shut. Nobody ever said that being natural made you smart/wise.

Lillian Mae
Reply to  Anonymous

KelZ
KelZ
Reply to  Anonymous

You seem personally bothered by her– what’s wrong?

Talia
Talia

Kudos to Solange for being true to herself and her convictions. I don’t really know too much about this whole issue (nor did I know she WAS the spokesperson for Carol’s Daughter), but she raises some good points. The natural hair movement is meant to encourage women to embrace the natural texture of their hair and reject biased standards of hair beauty and irresponsible products. However, there is a lot of segregation and prejudice in the natural hair community and a lot of hate toward non-natural hair, or even different natural hair types! I think the whole “typing” of natural… Read more »

Shades
Shades
Reply to  Talia

I thought the whole typing thing was to help people figure out what products would work best with their curl pattern not to segregate people. Not that I really care now, but it was somewhat useful for me when I started my healthy hair journey to find bloggers whose hair was similar to mine so I could discern which products are more likely to work for me. I figured that was the whole point of the typing thing. But as can happen with anything,there are probably individuals out there who use the typing thing as a weapon rather than a… Read more »

Likewaterforchocolat
Likewaterforchocolat
Reply to  Shades

Unfortunately, Shades the hair typing thing has been used more often for evil and not for good. When I first went natural I considered it a huge help and didn’t know how negatively people used it until I began reading natural hair blogs (that I was going to for tips and a sense of community.)One site put me off of blogs for a long while, until I found others that were more useful, but this blog is increasingly becoming one of THOSE blogs.

Candice
Candice

For someone who is only famous for being Beyonce’s little sister and for rocking natural hair, she better get used to living in Beyonce’s guest house. I’m not sure why this is news or why anyone cares. There are so many other famous naturals for people to follow. Also why would you pick someone who intentionally went for an “unstyled” look to represent a hair care product brand. I never wanted my hair to look like Solange’s. They keep calling Solange a singer, and maybe I’m not listening to the right radio stations, but I’ve never heard a song by… Read more »

Anonymous
Anonymous
Reply to  Candice

+100

Lauraine
Lauraine
Reply to  Candice

She is actually a very good singer and song writer. This is based on her album Sol-angel and the Hadley Street Dreams. A very smart, deep, poetic, thought-provoking and entertaining offering. You should search for one of her album, and listen, you might like what she has to say and how she says it. If not, oh well.

BeautyIAM
BeautyIAM
Reply to  Candice

See, this right here is what makes people like myself distance themselves from people like you. Really Candice.…really.…You obviously cared somewhat because you left a comment.

So because she wore her hair in an afro most of the time, which is something she was comfortable doing, you think its unstyled. Please take a seat. Some of you naturals.…

KDS
KDS
Reply to  BeautyIAM

Amen!

Shades
Shades
Reply to  BeautyIAM

You realize that Solange had a purposely unstyled afro, right? Other naturals may prefer to do a twist-out for their fro or pick it out or w/e. Either way they manipulated their hair in some way to achieve the look they want. Solange has stated that she literally just gets up & goes out with her bedhead. I think this is what Candice is referring to. Clearly the get up & go hair isn’t her cup of tea so of course Solange wouldn’t appeal to her as a model/icon. & I completely agree that someone who doesn’t style their hair… Read more »

BeautyIAM
BeautyIAM
Reply to  Shades

Nope, didn’t realize it was considered unstyled. Her hair looked styled to me. And for her to ask why would they choose to have a person with an unstyled look as she put it was rude…as if there is something wrong with it.

KelZ
KelZ
Reply to  BeautyIAM

See, i thinks this is the root of many naturals’ problem with Solange (particularly kinky haired naturals). They don’t want people to know what our hair really looks like without elaborate twist outs and braid-sets. There’s nothing wrong with liking a defined look, but don’t lose sight of the fact that your natural, unmanipulated hair can still be beautiful. I suppose everyone’s “journey” is different, but I truly hope that some of you ladies get there. This is so sad to me.

Harper
Harper
Reply to  Candice

I like solange, good for her. You don’t have to be on the radio to be a good singer! There are plenty of great singers that aren’t on the radio. Leela James (brilliant) I’ve seen Esperanza Spalding in concert 2 times and I’ve never heard her on our radio. We have to broaden our outlook on life. There are many brilliant singer who have not crossed over to mainstream, but you know what I buy their music because they are talented and are not putting out that same old mainstream music on the radio! Go solange!!

Likewaterforchocolat
Likewaterforchocolat
Reply to  Harper

I’ve never heard Esparanza on the radio either. How does an artist win a Grammy and gains that amount of respect from her peers in the industry NOT get airplay is beyond me.

NikNak
NikNak

I’m totally for people wearing their hair however they want it, even if it’s for all the reasons I’m against. Know why? Because it’s THEIR hair/head, and they should do what makes them happy. With that said, I wish people would STOP PRETENDING that wearing your hair straight is always about a “personal choice.” Keep it real! A lot of Black women relax their hair b/c they want to be seen one way, which is the less savage looking way. Nappy hair represents wildness, untamedness. In some people’s minds nappy hair correlates with slavery or tribes in Africa where the women… Read more »

Miss T
Miss T
Reply to  NikNak

Thats what I’m talking bout NikNak. Sometimes I want my hair nappier too so that I can get that perfect circular fro, and I’m 4b/4c.

Greta
Greta

I think people should give her a break. I’m sure she learned a good lesson, never tweet while upset. However, I understand her frustration and respect the freedom she has to express it. How a person choose to wear her hair should not be a form of bondage which dictates what is “good” “natural” or whatever label someone ‘else’ puts on it. How a person wear or care for her hair is a freedom; a choice. Not to be infringed upon by no one. Furthermore, its a person’s prerogative to change her mind, let alone her hair.

Zenith
Zenith

Warning: This is MY opinion. 1. There is too much emphasis on hair in our community. We have so many other important issues that we should be obsessing over, it’s not even funny. 2. Many people (some of US, included) are making tons of money on hair and our issues about hair. These people will continue to make money by keeping the insecurities stoked and public- they have a vested interest in doing so. They may not even be aware of the fact that they do this nor would ever admit it to themselves or anyone else. 3. Solange is struggling… Read more »

KelZ
KelZ
Reply to  Zenith

#5! Sooo true.

Natalee
Natalee

I’m glad she left her position with CD; she didn’t seem to want to talk about hair that much and I don’t have a problem with that. To each his own. I don’t agree with those that say they felt naturals were being pushy or coming at her sideways. Based on the article, she seemed naive on what she was getting into. I think most people were trying to help or express curiosity that she wasn’t ready for. There aren’t that many celebs that wear their hair as is. Being a spokesperson for L’Oreal won’t get you attention, but being the… Read more »

meowmix
meowmix
Reply to  Natalee

Thank you for saying this. You have some nice/well supported points.

Reply to  meowmix

Very, very well-written post, Natalee. I love everything you said about Black history. Teach! I just posted something similar. I also find it interesting that a few women who are saying “it’s just hair” are on a natural haircare website specifically geared toward length retention and they are posting comments.

Zenith
Zenith

We also do not know what the contract ( if there was a specific one) between Carol’s Daughter and Solange required of her. Did it specifically require her to answer any and all questions about natural hair in a way that would support whatever Carol’s Daughter’s personal/business philosophy about natural hair is??? OR Did the contract allow for Solange to express her OWN thoughts and feelings about her hair? If she signed up for the former, Solange shouldn’t have become upset and disgruntled, as her responsibilities to her contract were made clear and she agreed to it. If she did NOT sign… Read more »

Briichan
Briichan

You tell em Solange!!!

Lauraine
Lauraine

Why are so many people commenting on their perceptions of Solange as opposed to the topic for this forum, which is hair? I agree with her, your choice of styling or wearing your hair is personal and beauty is a definition that comes from within. I don’t know anything about her being a hostile spokesperson, I don’t know what she’s done to make people think this but, admittedly I am a fan of her work and her various looks, I just admire her free spirit. Additionally, because I am not involved in the tidbits of her personal life, I take… Read more »

Fallon Laine for AfrikanViolets

Blessings to Solange…there always comes a turning point in our lives. Just as soon as somethings closes many more doors are for sure to open. I give her alot of credit for being honest with herself and to her fans about the challenges that women of color face with our hair complexities.

Fallon Laine for AfrikanViolets

anonymous
anonymous

Ok, so she wants nothing to do with the ‘hair’ thing. I get it, she’s scared of being a stand-up person for a specifically black-issue. It requires courage and passion. Something she clearly does not have. However, 20 years from now — when this movement is so yesterday’s news and a monumental time in black history, she better not be talking to The INSIDER saying she was a trailblazer or anything. Believe it or not, black women collectively going natural will be a HUGE moment for us in hindsight and she rejects it because she undoubtedly thinks her family is… Read more »

CocoaNo5
CocoaNo5
Reply to  anonymous

I’m confused. Wearing your hair natural is history in the making? Natural hair isn’t anything new. From Whoopi’s locs to Angela Davis’ fro, it’s been happening for a long time. What is making it a “movement” are the products, blogs, magazines,etc dedicated to natural hair. Trust me, 20 years from now there will still be people wearing their hair natural, as it’s been for the past 50+ years.

CocoaNo5
CocoaNo5

Esperanza Spalding would be a great replacement! As for Solange, I’m on the fence. I do feel this stigma of what black hair should be. What’s great about our hair is we can do ANYTHING with it. We should be encouraging HEALTHY HAIR, no matter how you choose to wear it. On the other hand, before Solange signed her contract, she could have negotiated what her responsibilities were to be, that’s business. If you’re not going to fulfill your duties, resign.

Cherise
Cherise
Reply to  CocoaNo5

Seconded.

KDS
KDS

I feel like if people just mind their damn business, it would have never came to all of this, people were picking and invading this woman’s space all because of her damn hair. Who gives a damn about Solange’s hair… to many people tried to care, when it really wasn’t an issue to care about. She wasn’t doing How to videos and writing books she was a model for a company that catered to natural hair and other hair types, her job was not to say my hair type was… and style your hair this way.… I like to wear… Read more »

Annie L.
Annie L.
Reply to  KDS

2nd! Just, everything you wrote! Beautiful photo as well.…

Sophie
Sophie

I think it’s good of her to step down from being a spokesperson for a product she doesn’t have that much interest in. It seems like it’s not about being natural, per se, but being famous for caring about her hair, which seems like something she doesn’t see herself using as a main part of her persona in the long term. I’m a bit put off by her abrasive attitude because if she’s going to be famous she needs to realize that people will look at her and look to her as an icon for this or that. She doesn’t… Read more »

Jula

It’s her decision. I like her style but something about her as a natural was always kind of “meh’ to me. Maybe it’s the wigs I didn’t see as authentic but at the end of the day she is natural and she has a right to change. I don’t understand how she would want to be a spokesperson for a natural hair brand yet want to step down because of all the attention. I mean, that comes with being a celebrity and the fact that she’s Beyonce’s sister. I’ve never really listened to her music, her clothes are really cute,… Read more »

Janay
Janay

Yes, how you wear your hair is your business… until you MAKE it your business. Granted, I personally didn’t have a problem with how Solo wore her hair, but she always had this attitude like hair was a non-factor.…again, still fine, unless you’re a paid spokesperson for a brand that is primarily know for their products for textured hair. Was there some naïveté on her part going into this? Maybe. I was never expecting her to rock a fierce twistout every day. I just expected her to at least be excited about what she represented. Never got that impression, though.… Read more »

chan
chan

SOME Black women are some miserable jealous truly hateful itches. Everytime I have seen Solange she is smiling and happy and yet all of these miserable chics are saying she is hostile.Leave the girl(and her sister) alone you miserable itches and get a life.

Kathy
Kathy

I can’t be mad at Solange. Moving on. Carol’s Daughter is too expensive for me anyway.

Also, how many of y’all had even heard of Esperanza before her Grammy, and before you saw that she wears a fro? I’m sure she is too busy being a musical genius to strut around pushing products… at least I hope she is. Yeah I went there lol. I’m just saying.

Precious
Precious

It’s ridiculous how some of you are vilifying Solange. Find your own sense of pride in your hair and stop looking at celebrities to validate your hair and your existence. Not a single one of you on this board (or any other for that matter) owns the copyright to the black hair experience. What started off as a journey of wonder and joy and self-realization has been turned into a pig-fest thanks to those of you with your superficial nit-picking. I wish Solange the best in whatever she does even if all she wants to do is weave a patch… Read more »

Reply to  Precious

+1000. This “movement” itself is becoming superficial beyond belief.

LIVEANDLETLIVEITCHES
LIVEANDLETLIVEITCHES
Reply to  Beth

YES! I JUST WANT TO STAY AWAY FROM THE CLICHE NATURAL HAIR JOURNEY ISH, THATS WHAT SOLANGE IS TALKING ABOUT, THE FACT PPL THINK THAT SHE ISNT PROUND IN HOW SHE WEARS HER HAIR, HOW THE HELL DO YOU WEAR YOUR HAIR WITH PRIDE, THE GIRL IS NATURAL AND SHE IS FIERCE STOP HATING AND GET A LIFE, BLACK WOMEN CAN BE SO CATTY AND RIDICULOUS. YOU DONT SEE THIS IN OTHER RACES, PPL ARE ALOUND TO DO WHAT THE HELL THEY WANT WITH THEIR HAIR SKIN AND BODY. GET A LIFE BLACK WOMEN AND SOME SELF ESTEEM THEN YOU… Read more »

nikji
nikji
Reply to  Precious

Totally agree…the natural hair nazis need to get a life

cnj
cnj

I never understood why or how she became a “natural hair icon”. She rarely wears her hair natural. I usually see her in natural type wigs or braids. Also I don’t get why someone would put themselves in the spotlight and then run away once people start to critique them. Everyone knows (or should know) negative comments are inevitable. Everyone isn’t going to like what you say and do. What people say shouldn’t keep you from doing what you want. All of that being said, I still like her style, both clothes and hair.

Reply to  cnj

+1!

mellowyel
mellowyel

Hmmm… Well if she felt her ideals didn’t mesh with the company’s own, it seems like a good idea for her to step down. She always wore her (own) hair differently in public than she did in the CD ads anyway. And clearly there’s a certain kind of public figure that she doesn’t want to be, and she has the right to say no to that. She can’t control how the public perceives her, of course, but she can decide what image of herself to put out there. I’m surprised at the criticism of her behavior as “not befitting a spokesperson”.… Read more »

nikji
nikji

I really don’t understand all the negativity towards Solange. I noticed this attitude among naturals even before she became a spokesperson for CD. You can’t be mad at a person because they dont fit into your box or act the way you think they should. As for her acting like she’s above the fray when it comes to hair typing, etc…Believe it or not, some women really aren’t obsessed with hair. For many naturals, what used to be an obsession with perms and weaves has been replaced with obsessing on all things natural, which causes many to project onto others.… Read more »

Ronnie

Solange’s mother and sister wear straightened hair and weaves, her friends probably do and I’m sure Solange doesn’t want to offend them. That’s probably why she wanted to push the straight hair and weaves are no big deal thing to Carol’s Daughter. I can understand that. However, I wish I could say that it’s just hair and be totally on board with Solange. Scientifically, it IS just hair — an outer manifestation of keratin. But culturally it’s not just hair. Some Black women are chosen or not chosen by Black men because of hair. Some Black women with big naturals… Read more »

Kinky Curly Marie
Kinky Curly Marie
Reply to  Ronnie

It’s Just hair. The hype and obsession was created by the Natural Haircare Industry (Big Busines$$!) and Community, mainstream media and many blogs who don’t focus on the Fact that: It’s about Loving our beautiful Natural black hair, properly caring for it and Styling it anyway we please; while giving the weaves a break. Most black women (Natural & Relax hair) wear Weaves & Wigs more than their Own Hair. Natural Hair women sport Wigs, Sew-in Weaves, Crochet extentions & braids etc… just like relaxed women do for Styling & Protective reasons (or False sense of security) “Our hair is Just… Read more »

marcia
marcia

Here in England, the large majority of black women have relaxed hair or weave. I had weave up until the age of 27 and have had a natural fro for the past 9 years. I’m a low maintenance kind of gal and it just suits my ways. I don’t wear make up, I use organic, natural products and so it just makes sense that I would go for natural hair. I’m so tired of white and black people thinking I’m making some kind of statement by having an afro. I had dreadlocks for one year and that was why I… Read more »

Lu
Lu
Reply to  marcia

It is just hair, and it *should not* be a big deal. Sadly, we all know that is not a truth that reality embraces today. It is not the same for other races: white people putting color in their hair is not the same as black people putting a perm in their hair, and omg if someone tries to tell me that b.s. again, I will shake them. Even if they (white people) switch it up with coloring or a perm, it is still a natural “look” for them. No black person I know grows naturally straight hair, so quit… Read more »

Reply to  Lu

+1, Lu! Well said.

Kinky Curly Marie
Kinky Curly Marie
Reply to  Ronnie

It is the same comparison with black & white women when it comes with obsessing with hair and false image of Beauty imposed by the Hair & Fashion Industry. White people don’t all have straight hair—Never have. Many have Naturally wavy, curly or course hair that they Blow dry Straight or Flat Iron everyday. Only a few embrace their Natural Hair. Many of them will Perm, Straighten, Dye and Weave it in a Quick Second to achieve the Hair they want. Black women don’t know or understand the white culture & their views on hair and the Weaves & Wigs… Read more »

Felice
Felice

OMG it’s amazin how much flack Solange is getting…I agree with Beth, on 9–22-12 (I think). She has a right 2 be & choose what she wants 2 put on her head any given day jus like anybody else. Right now, she is rockin natural & I commend her 4 that. She deserves to be grouped with women who wear their hair naturaly. True, some may be more talented or loved by many more fans. She may be more talented than other women in this category as well. Many women wont for whatever reasons. I personally went natural because perms… Read more »

Likewaterforchocolat
Likewaterforchocolat

I like everyone’s idea for for Solange’s replacement, but I honestly feel that for a company that peddles meh, so-so products that they are truly not worthy with all of their pandering to straight-haired folks. How does a compay that started out marketing to natural-haired women end up with only one cury-haired spokesperson?

Di Di

Who cares..Solange can do what she wants to do with her hair!!! It’s hers. Everybody who supported Carol’s daughter from the beginning was not natural..their platform was not just natural hair.. it was natural products. Mary J Blidge was their biggest financial supporter and semi-spokesperson. Holier than Thou natural enthusiast kill me. I’ve been natural all of my life and never heard of a “natural hair” system either. Who made this crap up??? Who told you that it’s ONE HAIR SYSTEM for MY Hair. Leave the girl alone. I love her interviews.

Anne
Anne

If you understand Physics you understand Its not just hair! WHY WHY WHY do Black people like to say its just hair IT ISNT its so disrespctful..On a Mundane level if it was just hair you wouldnt have been oppressed for those YEEEAAARRRSSS about your hair in its Natural state by both black and white and everyone else inbetween..Did you know Black women your hair is connected to the Universal Structure and the Weather and your AURA, you let people tell you your hair is dead and swallow it!! If your hair was JUST dead explain the Transformational level you… Read more »

Reply to  Anne

+1, Anne! Yes! How about this? If it’s just hair, why are the people saying “it’s just hair” on a natural hair care website aimed at retaining long hair?

steel magnolia
steel magnolia

Well, obviously, Solange was not a good fit, no need to stay in a bad relationship. Why hire a spokesperson anyway? The products should speak for themselves.

Moni B.

Maybe it’s just me but although I LOVE being natural, some of us (not necessarily in this thread) can truly be Natural Hair Nazis. I straightened my hair a couple weeks ago and was with my boyfriend at a restaurant and some naturals threw me shade…I thought it was funny for sure but I see why Solange and others distance themselves from the natural hair community. We can be HARD on people when at the end of the day it’s just hair. For one person it may have been a life-changing experience but for others it’s not that serious! I… Read more »

Moni B.

I for one am a native New Yorker and was a frequent shopper at Carol’s Daughter when it had one location in Brooklyn down the street from Juniors. I made sure to get a touch-up every 6–8 weeks and used to buy out the store at least 1x/month while tossing my relaxed hair. My point…everyone saying Carol’s Daughter started out marketing to natural-hair women.…UHHHHHH, sorry to tell y’all but that is VERY far from the truth. Yes, there were natural hair products but even then they did NOT focus on marketing to natural hair enything. They focused on natural BODY… Read more »

Cee
Cee

Basically, my view on this issue boils down to this..Solange was a spokesperson NOT the owner of Carol’s Daughter or a partner.This hair business is not HER business. If we can look past all of the Loreal and Clairol spokespersons then why does Solange have to be in a box? You don’t see people bugging Eva Mendez, Eva Longoria, or Jennifer Lopez about their hair. Really, black people let’s get our priorities straight.Good for Solange to move on and work on her own pursuits.

stephanie

It’s business. The sooner we realize that the better off we will be.
Support all black businesses whatever they sell. All we want to do is criticize each other. We can control the entire haircare industry and any other, if we support each other.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/hairadd.jpg[/img]

imani
imani

i think solange was unaware abt how deep this natural hair care thing goes.And its true, at the time when CD first became popular it was bc it was supposedly all natural cooked up in her kitchen etc. It had nothing to do with the budding natural hair movement.CD evolved to natural hair products bc THATS WHAT BECAME POPULAR and since she had the natural product niche…it was good business sense to start promoting natural hair care but CD doesnt need to box themselves into JUST natural hair bc thats NOT how she started out.Solange can disagree with a marketing… Read more »

NappyGoddesse

The Knowles sisters are opportunists. Period. They use whom they need and how they need until they get what they need and move on. And they don’t give back to any community much less the black one. With that being said, Solange as the sudden “spokeswoman” for natural kinda pissed me off from the beginning. I am not a hater, and I will admit that neither she nor Beyonce are my favorite (personal opinion). However, how and WHY would SOLANGE be a spokesperson for natural hair when she herself only JUST became natural. There are so many more beautiful natural ‘famous’… Read more »

Tabatha
Tabatha

You know, when I saw her hair cut all I said was, “Oh she cut her hair, looks nice”. I don’t see why people are making such a big deal ou tof how she or anyone where’s their hair. It boggles my mind. Mary J and Jada pinket have been on CD adds and they aren’t natural all the time, so what’s the problem? I have used carols daughter, but sometimes they have so many different products get product happy adn then I don’t know what to get. The relationship between Solange and Carol’s Daughter has run its course its… Read more »

trackback

[…] clearly carved out a place of her own in the industry, lending her talents as a singer, producer, beauty  spokesperson, label owner, song writer, and model. And given this extensive resume, we are not surprised to hear […]

trackback

[…] clearly carved out a place of her own in the industry, lending her talents as a singer, producer, beauty  spokesperson, label owner, song writer, and model. And given this extensive resume, we were also not surprised […]