Meosha // 3C Natural Hair Style Icon *Update*

Avatar • Sep 3, 2012

Meosha was originally featured on February 21, 2011.

Introduce yourself!
M:
My name is Meosha and I’m originally from “G.I.” but have resided in the suburbs of Chicago since my early years. I’m a writer here on Black Girl Long Hair, I craft jewelry for my line 1MeNaturally on Etsy and I’m an infrequent 😀 vlogger.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
M:
I’ve shared previously that I went natural because I always adored my mother’s hair, and even though I had no idea what being natural meant coming up I couldn’t help but notice women with this beautiful textured hair that differed so much from mine. I just had a relaxer since the beginning of my time and that’s just the way it was. Yet in still, all through high school I was wearing blowouts and braidouts trying to emulate that look. It’s the type of beauty I always wanted for myself.

Now the decision to go natural on the other hand came in the form of unemployment. My hair was already pretty short and I had just decided to leave a job that was literally making me ill. I had a conversation with my stylist and told her this was the last time she would see me because I couldn’t afford it anymore (getting a relaxer every 3 weeks to maintain my “Rihanna” cut) that is. She even told me she would do my hair for free so I could at least look good for job interviews, but I never took her up on that offer. I had just started watching YouTube and I just let it happen. I was transitioning. I’ve been fully natural since my LC (Little Chop) in July of 2009. It’s been 3 years and I’m two chops into my journey. *My photos are from this last year.

How would you describe your texture?
M:
My hair is unique, as is the hair on the head of every individual. There is only one me 😉 But in answer to the question I identify with 3C naturals. As I’ve gained intimate knowledge of my hair it is now clear to me my hair is multi-textured. It’s looser on the sides and in the front, and from my ear downward in the back it’s tightly packed and much more coarse than the rest. It grows and detangles in a completely different fashion down there in the kitchen. My hair is fine, curly, kinky and coily all at the same time and although it appears thick it’s actually that I have a large amount of strands all clumped together. My mother always told me growing up that I had more hair on my head than the average person.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
M:
Because I have worked from home for the past couple of years I have struggled with maintaining my hair on a schedule like I did in the first year and a half of my journey. That may sound backwards since it may seem I have a lot more time on my hands, but a lot of times if only a select few are going to see me anyway “iown curr”!

The regimen I am getting better at; the one that helps my hair to thrive is co-washing at least 2 times a week. Although my hair combats water it loves it! My typical routine looks like this. I co-wash with conditioner and oil on Sunday and wear a wash and go style. I don’t apply more product after the conditioner is rinsed out. Outside of gently squeezing out the water, I don’t touch my hair much at all afterward. That same night once fully dry I randomly chunky twist my hair with the use of a generous amount of Jane Carter Solution Nourish & Shine. This is the only time I sleep with a hair bonnet. When my hair is loose hair bonnets pack my strands together, create tangles and unwearable next day fros. I undo the twists the next day with a light untwist and smoothing motion. I do not separate the hair once untwisted. I just shake my head back and forth and go. That night I go to bed with my hair uncovered on a satin pillowcase and wake with a fabulous, shrunken and textured fro. I’ll either wear my hair as is, misshapen and all after a light application of oil, or I will wear it in a puff. If I’m not being lazy I will do it all over again on the 4th day, Wednesday.

My products of choice are Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner, Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner (the original formula), Organics by Africa’s Best Olive Oil Deep Conditioner, Jane Carter Solution Nourish & Shine and grapeseed oil.

What does wash day look like for you?
M:
Wash day is honestly a painful process. Luckily I only have to wash when my scalp is in need, which is only about once a month. My hair takes a lot to just get wet. I have to practically wash and soak my hair with only water before I can even get the soap to penetrate. And don’t get me started on the tangles. I recently tried prepooing, detangling, then washing my hair in twists, and although it was a lot of extra work it was easier on my hair. I just can’t get with the idea in my head. I didn’t feel clean afterwards, so that will take some getting used to.

Because they do different things for my hair, my shampoos of choice are using Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo twice and Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Moisturizing Shampoo on the third and final wash to give me back some needed moisture.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
M:
My favorite style when I’m short on time (and cuz it’s cute) is my version of the puff. My hair grows at a different pace in different sections, and is a different texture in the back so I have yet to be able to pull it into a textured puff since my last chop. I don’t like brushing and gelling my hair into manicured looks so my puff is usually done on third day hair that is settling out of a dry twistout. I place a thin Scunci headband over my head and back up so my hair poofs in the front and back and cascades down out of the headband.

How do you combat shrinkage?
M:
Shrinkage and I are on good terms. It’s a natural part of being natural for many textures. I love how my hair can look a completely different texture and length depending on how it’s styled.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
M:
My areas that require special attention are many. To name a few my scalp, ends, hairline, crown and most definitely the areas I lightened with peroxide at one time and bleached and dyed on others, which lead to my second chop in May of 2011. It’s been an interesting journey. I thought being natural meant my hair would be indestructible. I could do all the things to it I was afraid to do when I was relaxed. In reality, my hair needs more tlc now than it ever needed when I was relaxed.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
M:
DO mix in oil when applying conditioner. This provides the necessary slip and leaves a base of moisture behind when the conditioner is washed out. Applying a coat of oil first before conditioner also seals in moisture and helps reduce drippies in your face while detangling your mane. DO maintain a schedule for clipping ends. My ends have always been an issue whether natural or relaxed.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
M:
DON’T go to sleep with wet hair. Whether loose or in twists going to sleep with wet hair leads to tangles. It also makes my scalp tender for some strange reason. This last one is important, so I have to mention it again. If they are damaged, DON’T “sleep” on maintaining your ends. It leads to big chopping.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
M:
You can find me here, on the BGLH Forum and on our Pinterest site of course 😉 You can also find me on the following sites:

About Meosha

Kya
Kya

Yuck to the spammer. Get out of here.

OMG Yaaaaayyyyy Meosha!!!! I LOVE YOUR HAIR and the blog. Good job girl 🙂 Ok so now JC is next 😉 lol

Mia_P
Mia_P
Reply to  Kya

I know right, the spammer felt the need to post their link three times..where is the ‘Flag as spam’ button when you need it

Alisha
Reply to  Mia_P

Alisha

I love your hair! And your style. And your interviews, lol!

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH

If we could do away with hair typing.…

EG
EG
Reply to  TINA SMITH

We’d still have the good hair/bad hair debate.…

Amy
Amy
Reply to  TINA SMITH

Hair typing is useful or at least describing your hair in terms of fine/coarse and curly/kinky/coily because at the end of the day we all have different hair so it’s to nice to know what works for someone who has a similar hair type to you. It’s only a problem when people start misusing it and using it as a means to create division.

Jo
Jo
Reply to  Amy

I believe it is helpful in describing texture but we have to acknowledge that labels are not always beneficial.

I know a similar texture similar to mine as soon as i see it and that is enough for me. 🙂

I understand many labels were created without our approval i just wish we would think before wanting to use them.

I have noticed many people, featured lately that just described a texture. At the end of the day we all have freedom to use it or not and i prefer to not be labeled and label myself if i choose to.

Candice
Candice
Reply to  Jo

I can tell a texture similar to mine if their hair is freshly washed with no product on it. My hair in a fro looks radically different from my hair stretched in a twist out or braid out. Some products do different things. That’s the whole point. If you think that there are some textures that are better than others or that being closer to straight is better than being more curly, then that’s YOUR issue. I love my 4A hair; I can do so much with it. But 4B hair can achieve some of the stretched looks more easily.… Read more »

Candice
Candice
Reply to  TINA SMITH

I don’t think hair typing distinguishes good from bad hair. I think hair typing is really helpful to know if one person’s regimen will work for your hair. I can admire this particular person’s hair as much as I want, but my curl pattern is tighter (no better, no worse, just different) than hers. Things she does would never work for me, and that saves me time and fruitless energy.

Likewaterforchocolat
Likewaterforchocolat
Reply to  Candice

I agree. What I actually would like to see more of is people describing hair density, porosity and so forth and how they care for their hair in that regard. Because I can see women who hair similar curl patterns as mine, but the density/porosity could be different. Seeing different styles with different curl patterns help as far as styling for me, but other factors come into play as well.

evadiva
evadiva

love you hair!

Enter this unique coupon code KAP753 when you shop at iherb.com.You can get $10 off your first purchase at iherb.com where you can buy affordable beauty products, natural products, vitamins and much more. All brands available.

Kya
Kya

Dear everyone,
she always wants a debate, please dont pay any attention to this attention seeker 🙂 its Meosha’s feature lets stick to that. Have a great day people 🙂

Amy
Amy
Reply to  Kya

Damn, only saw this after I replied to her lol. Meosha’s hair is great anyway — no comment/ debate can detract from that.

Shannon
Shannon
Reply to  Kya

agreed! She does this on so many posts…

Kya
Kya

lol this comment was supposed to be below TINA SMITH’s it just didnt show up there..

AnaDion
AnaDion

I love seeing ppl with hair similar to mine! I want black nerds unite tee too!

Mika

Love her hair!! So big and gorgeous!

Amy
Amy

Jula

Beautiful! lush, thick, shiny coils.

Jula

Hair typing hasn’t worked for me. It’s worked for some, but I don’t see how knowing your hairtype is detrimental to finding the right products. As long as it works and has nourishing,moisturizing ingredients, that’s all that should matter, right?

Hairtyping is just a way to categorize what kind of curl pattern you have. In knowing your curl pattern, then you can figure out the tools and how to handle your hair and style it.

B
B
Reply to  Jula

Jula

I don’t need to know that Im 4a to know that my hair forms a natural ‘fro when getting out the shower.

B
B

I cant believe there isnt one comment saying she isnt 3c…like they do for another ladies featured!

Curly Queen
Reply to  B

I was thinking the same thing. She actually looks more like a four A to me but she knows her head the best.

Zanthe
Zanthe
Reply to  B

Oh the ironing!

Cia
Cia

Beautiful thick hair!! Just looks so soft! Love love the fro!

ariella taylor

Meosha!!!!!!! Luuuuuuuuuuvly hair! So thick! Shiny! Luuuush! Oh it looks a bit like 4a, 4b to me too, buh ¯..(•?.? •? )../¯”

Asia Monique

LOVE YOUR HAIR! Amazing. Just beautiful!

Oui Tres Jolie

Her hair looks awesome!

Bridget
Bridget

Awesome hair!

Knatural
Knatural

Beautiful!

KAN
KAN

Awesome hair and I want that “black nerds unite” shirt

Tiye
Tiye

We should do away with the typing and change the name of the website to blackgirlhealthyhair.com I don’t like that it’s “long hair” but sorry for ranting on your post , your hair is very beautiful and inspiring 🙂